E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Code 4530 - Turbo Control - Vacuum System

05-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #67
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydiesel35 View Post
So the deal is they are replacing all of the vac lines with higher quality non oem and the pressure converters for code 4530. We did adjust the switch over actuator on the turbo manifold and choked it down a little bit (about 19-22 threads).

If this doesn't fix it I'm not sure what will. Maybe the only thing we left out that we could try is that #4 electric changeover valve....
Ky,
Did you ever do what I did the other day and mapped the requested vs actual boost through the rpm range?

That process told me what I needed to know straight away....(at least I think...havent proven that out yet)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #68
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I have not yet Omaha will do when it stops raining

Just got my car back, everything is fixed up.

The following was replaced for code 4530

1) pressure converter (nipple broken when tech was removing to test hoses)

2) All vac lines replaced, higher quality tubing.

As far as the hybrids my god do they pull....The overall tuning is much more aggressive including tighter shifts in the tranny. Seems like my mpg went up drastically as well too the car works much less....

I think I need to adjust the wastegate though, sometimes in between gears it feels a little rough... Not sure if this is just the tight shifting and the fresh fluid though. Will need to hook it up for some pulls to monitor what's going on.

Thanks to everyone who helped!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #69
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydiesel35 View Post
I have not yet Omaha will do when it stops raining

Just got my car back, everything is fixed up.

The following was replaced for code 4530

1) pressure converter (nipple broken when tech was removing to test hoses)

2) All vac lines replaced, higher quality tubing.

As far as the hybrids my god do they pull....The overall tuning is much more aggressive including tighter shifts in the tranny. Seems like my mpg went up drastically as well too the car works much less....

I think I need to adjust the wastegate though, sometimes in between gears it feels a little rough... Not sure if this is just the tight shifting and the fresh fluid though. Will need to hook it up for some pulls to monitor what's going on.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Tight shifting??? Could you elaborate please. Was something done to your trans?

I know this is a pretty dumb question, but are you guys sure that your techs primed the turbos first before starting the vehicle? I have seen a few people not do this, resulting in wasted $$$
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #70
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Haha. Dude yes they primed the turbos. The tight shifting is probably due to the transmission service I did. They mod Porsches and lambo's I'm sure they know their way around a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #71
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDi

Just figured I'd mention it
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 10:44 PM   #72
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

I "MAY" have figured mine out...

I was looking at the rod that goes to the exhaust diverter...was thinking it needed adjusted... I got word from the banned one that there should be 23 threads showing... I counted 16....but i know for a fact that my mechanic put it right back where it was when he took it off.... (cuz he painted the threads)

Anyway...I decided to bump it up to 23 just the same... I had noticed i really couldnt move the thing at all..wouldnt budge and i expected with just a pneumatic vavle i could..... I loosened up the first nut and the moment i did...the valve let loose...

it appears that it may have been wedged into the up position or something.... took her for a spin and she did much better, but we will see tomorrow when i clear the codes and check boost levels...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #73
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Are you referring to the waste gate actuator that has the 2 nuts jammed together on the threaded rod?

I had a little bit confusion here too. I wished I had thought to paint (or count threads) before disassembling. Afterwards, I adjusted nuts to get waste gate down over port and then went about two threads more for some preload.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #74
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Are you referring to the waste gate actuator that has the 2 nuts jammed together on the threaded rod?

I had a little bit confusion here too. I wished I had thought to paint (or count threads) before disassembling. Afterwards, I adjusted nuts to get waste gate down over port and then went about two threads more for some preload.
No, Im referring to the Turbine(Turbo) Control Valve vacuum unit and rod. The image is on post 11 on the first page.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 02:08 AM   #75
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Upon startup the Actuator rod should retract which opens the changeover valve directing exhaust gases into the small turbo. Upon engine shutdown, the actuator rod does not release until 30 to 50 seconds after engine shutdown. Some say ~23 threads is the sweet spot on the rod for the mounting nuts. I can not confirm this.

I too am chasing intermittent laggy feel at the low end. Some days the car is amazingly responsive and barely sips fuel....other days it feels laggy and fuel consumption is increased along with a slightly more audible howl from the airbox on hard acceleration.
Thought I'll keep this here as there is some technical details here. A few other relevant threads.

Last edited by Yozh; 08-27-2019 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 04:49 AM   #76
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Thanks Yozh!! Before attempting that test, is there a risk of having too much boost if the wastegate function is circumvented? Given that there is no where to bleed off excess boost? Naturally I assume this would be a short round the block test.
      05-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #77
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Mark, doubt you would blow your turbos just driving around for 10 minutes. Just do not fuel it hard. You do not hit max boost at partial throttle, but this is not to say that your wastegate in not utilized at partial boost for other reasons. You need to make sure some of the variables are eliminated with this test. Your engine temp is at operating and your O2 is online. You can just set it up after you just came from driving around.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #78
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh
Mark, doubt you would blow your turbos just driving around for 10 minutes. Just do not fuel it hard. You do not hit max boost at partial throttle, but this is not to say that your wastegate in not utilized at partial boost for other reasons. You need to make sure some of the variables are eliminated with this test. Your engine temp is at operating and your O2 is online. You can just set it up after you just came from driving around.
I threw a new MAP sensor at it today. No dice, it still feels laggy and excess smoke.
      05-28-2016, 01:16 AM   #79
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
I threw a new MAP sensor at it today. No dice, it still feels laggy and excess smoke.
Too bad. Mark, can you remind us what the condition and what you have already done and checked?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 06:53 AM   #80
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Is there a grinding noise during accel along with the smoke?

If not I doubt it's the turbo, very rare condition with these cars.

For code 4530 we replaced the vac lines and the turbo pressure converter. So far no codes have been thrown, prognosis seems good at the moment with great low end accel.

My advice is check all charge pipe connections for leaks and of course the vac system. Messing around on some pulls I blew out the charge pipe from the bottom of the IC and it threw that 4530 along with charge pipe codes.

So as said before 4530 has quite a broad range of possibilities. But IMO from looking at overseas threads it is usually....

1) Vac system. Lines, pressure converter, changeover piece ect...

2) Charge pipe. Check anything and everything connecting to IC.

3) Tune. 99.5% this is NOT the case. And since you were mapped before we can rule this out..

When is the last time you had CBU? Tell us a little history on your car.

Take it away Yozh.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 01:26 AM   #81
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

A few videos that I made. This is to test the vacuum actuator for the turbine switchover valve. Make sure it is not stuck and make sure the vacuum actuator engages and holds vacuum.

Last edited by Yozh; 08-27-2019 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #82
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Recently had the 4530 code come back with loss of low end power.

Upon taking it to a well recognized BMW track prep shop they quickly identified that the IC connections were very loose and some clamps needed to be repositioned in general. They also found that the wastegate vac line had become "pinched" not letting sufficient vacuum.

Symptoms:

Running rich

Low end load % high with little climb

Lower MPG

The shop was deeply impressed with this stage 3 hybrid setup. Now just driving around at slower speeds the low end slight accels put you back in the seat in a delicate manner.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #83
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydiesel35
Recently had the 4530 code come back with loss of low end power.

Upon taking it to a well recognized BMW track prep shop they quickly identified that the IC connections were very loose and some clamps needed to be repositioned in general. They also found that the wastegate vac line had become "pinched" not letting sufficient vacuum.

Symptoms:

Running rich

Low end load % high with little climb

Lower MPG

The shop was deeply impressed with this stage 3 hybrid setup. Now just driving around at slower speeds the low end slight accels put you back in the seat in a delicate manner.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to pull my intercooler hoses and investigate. Do you know which one was the culprit on yours? The red boost hose feeding the intercooler or the black and aluminum discharge pipe feeding the intake?

I have similar symptoms. Intermittent laggy power delivery. Some days the car feels perfect other days it is laggy and noticeably higher fuel consumption. However I don't have any codes.
      06-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #84
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

I'm willing to bet its the red boost hose pre-intercooler. The seals there are known to leak as the hose is a bad design. Yozh had a good thread about it HERE.

When doing my DPF I noticed mine was leaking quite a bit of oil. Ordered some new seals (Part #: 11618506786 & 11617791470) until I can get a Forge hose or go the new intercooler option.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #85
kydiesel35
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I would check every connection on the stock charge pipe setup. Seems like the red pipe is problematic.

I'm running IA's Helix package so the connections are a little different. In general the clamps had to be moved around and tightened. Proper installation of this package is crucial.

Check those vac lines/system! Very important for this area to be functioning properly on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #86
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

LOTS of smoke

Okay guys... Im super frustrated and super lost.

Im not sure what is going on and neither are my mechanics. I thought I had it figured out, the change over gate wasnt opening or closing easily...so I talked to Jarek and they sent out a brand new turbo assuming there was an issue...I took it into my mechanic and told them...."hey before you start pulling this thing" verify that the gate is still not working....they pulled the rod out and the damn thing worked just fine....if i didnt have video of the gate NOT working I would think I was crazy.... Anyway....so everything should be fine right? They ran tests with INPA...tested all the vacuum actuators...tested all the electronic vacuum solenoids....everything checked out...

The only thing that had an issue was the exhaust pressure hose/sensor that comes off the raw exhaust and goes to a little pressure sensor right on that electronics rail.

So everything should be fine right? Nope... Im laggy and it smokes like CRAZY.....I have no idea what is going on and no idea what to do... The only thing I can think of is that the red boost hose is just not holding the added boost and is losing so much that Im not getting the requested....

Im going to go do some logging to see what I can figure out...but I have no answers here... and no idea what to look into.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #87
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe found something...

This morning I went out to the car knowing I had a code on the ECU, so I decided to check it out. It was the dreaded 4530.... So I used Rheingold to do some diagnostic work. It was pretty damn cool actually. It would do the actuating for you. you just say "go" and it actuates the rod every 4 seconds.

Now it started out doing decently well...a pretty nice full draw back...didnt really do anything very quickly though.... but I left it go for about 2 min and the longer I let it go, the less travel it seemed to have....and the more longer it seemed to anything. So, i took a video. Below are links to both images of screen shots of INPA and a video of the actuator at the end of the cycle...

Take a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks

https://goo.gl/photos/E1Ttm9pyQhC1ZqKr6
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #88
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
This morning I went out to the car knowing I had a code on the ECU, so I decided to check it out. It was the dreaded 4530.... So I used Rheingold to do some diagnostic work. It was pretty damn cool actually. It would do the actuating for you. you just say "go" and it actuates the rod every 4 seconds.

Now it started out doing decently well...a pretty nice full draw back...didnt really do anything very quickly though.... but I left it go for about 2 min and the longer I let it go, the less travel it seemed to have....and the more longer it seemed to anything. So, i took a video. Below are links to both images of screen shots of INPA and a video of the actuator at the end of the cycle...

Take a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks

https://goo.gl/photos/E1Ttm9pyQhC1ZqKr6
That does look like you have an issue, is that a new vacuum solenoid? I think you should T in a mityvac to the vacuum solenoid supply side and see if you vacuum supply diminishes as time goes on. Monitor you max vacuum. If you have 2 mityvacs I would love to see supply and outgoing at the same time.

Semi unrelated...Did you mechanic make 100% sure to keep the stock actuator length?
Appreciate 0