E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF Delete

05-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #1013
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Anielsen, you say "this" tune. Maxi or Eco? After my last post, I found much earlier in this thread an exchange between 2deer and Stan about stage 3.
Indeed, it spoke of aftermarket intercooler, larger turbo, etc. Sorry, I don't recall post #. Use search for ecotuneuk uname.

EDIT: post number is 450
My map is not from ecotune. I went to a Company in Belgium, BR performance, who made a custom tune to fit my setup with aftermarket turbo, IC and ecotune DPF delete pipe

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 04:53 AM   #1014
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
Wow....Awesome!!!

Just some food for thought....There has been a lot of talk about exceeding the torque rating of the transmission and/or breaking something recently. You guys are really getting some major power out of your cars. (I plan to do the same) But there are a number of guys in Europe running hybrid turbos without any problems (at least that I've heard of). One of which is Tiago on this board, many of you have probably seen a video of his car. He actually has a decent amount of mileage on his setup with the hybrid turbo and tune, and it sounds like he doesn't think twice about racing people on the Autobahn lol. He reports no issues as of yet. Just something to think about.

None of us want to be the first to break but it certainly sounds like these drivetrains are pretty robust based on real world evidence over in Europe.
I run with a hybrid turbo also. As I wrote earlier I have had no problems at all with it.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 05:00 AM   #1015
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...5#post15974465

Yes, using slicks. But I need better traction. I used the traction control to help control the torque application today as well as having over 1/2 a tank of fuel for more weight in the rear ... -> 7.6 sec 1/8 mile.

There's still room to improve the 60', but it'll take more practice than I'm willing to do at this time.

Seriously, I don't understand why one would need more turbo/intercooler. With the setup I'm running I don't see any data that shows a need for these things. It's crazy difficult to use full torque/pwr now with RWD only.
I have seen a Big difference in middle accel with the bigger intercooler from Wagner. Accelleration from 80km/h and upwards is much faster now. And at that speed traction is no problem. Before mounting the bigger IC, I also had some issues with a ticking noise when really using it. Properbly because of the Oil getting warm and really thin. After the bigger IC is fitted, the noise is gone.
A friend of mine with a 335i has seen drop of Oil temp of aprox 10 degr after fittings bigger IC.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #1016
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
A
That graph in the link does have a baseline run though, yes it's inflated to match the hp rating of the car but its a guage. Do you have a bone stock wheel hp number? Just curious to compare the gains....
Yes, it was good they had the baseline. The delta then gives a good comparison of before/after (assuming no funny business on how the car was strapped down and the legion of other things that can be manipulated).

The only stock comparisons I have are old Gtech runs such as below. I found the Gtech extremely helpful for comparing mods out on the road. The "dyno" results not only include drivetrain loss, but also wind loss. So they're going to be lower than numbers a chassis dyno would give. But again, it's the delta's that are really important.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #1017
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
I have seen a Big difference in middle accel with the bigger intercooler from Wagner. Accelleration from 80km/h and upwards is much faster now. And at that speed traction is no problem. Before mounting the bigger IC, I also had some issues with a ticking noise when really using it. Properbly because of the Oil getting warm and really thin. After the bigger IC is fitted, the noise is gone.
A friend of mine with a 335i has seen drop of Oil temp of aprox 10 degr after fittings bigger IC.
Interesting....so what is the fastest 1/4 mile time over there that you know of with the hybrid setup?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #1018
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Congrats Tdi I told you'd get 11's. Question to you TDi I know you have OEM IC and i have the WAGNER IC, you stated that you were somewhat cautious on the EGT factor, I would guess that with ANY larger IC you wont have to worry that much. True or false
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #1019
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Congrats Tdi I told you'd get 11's. Question to you TDi I know you have OEM IC and i have the WAGNER IC, you stated that you were somewhat cautious on the EGT factor, I would guess that with ANY larger IC you wont have to worry that much. True or false
I think on this specific platform it's much more complicated than a true/false question. There's many factors involved in controlling EGT's.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #1020
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

oh ok but wouldnt a bigger IC promote cooler air to the Turbo and at the same have cooler temps for the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #1021
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

IC is post turbo and therefore would provide cooler air to the intake and not the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #1022
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

gracias Yozh
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #1023
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

DPF removal will make biggest difference to the EGT's.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #1024
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

still waiting on someone else to get the pipe..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #1025
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Whats better about getting the pipe vs just gutting the dpf out and fitting the box back on?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #1026
lordz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
I've yet to hear anything back from JR on specifics either from PM or email. I'll try pinging him again though.

I've read through most of the pages but so far my biggest issue is actually getting everything done in a timely manner as I am currently down to a single (street) car.

I am interested though in dpf and egr delete + tune + an exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #1027
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Whats better about getting the pipe vs just gutting the dpf out and fitting the box back on?
You can certainly gut the DPF, it is your choice. However once you gut the dpf there's no going back. And if you want to go back that'll be over 2k for the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordz View Post
I've yet to hear anything back from JR on specifics either from PM or email. I'll try pinging him again though.

I've read through most of the pages but so far my biggest issue is actually getting everything done in a timely manner as I am currently down to a single (street) car.

I am interested though in dpf and egr delete + tune + an exhaust.
I hear you on the down to one car issue. I've just sold my truck so I'm down to one vehicle as well. I've prepared to rent a pos beater in order to get this done haha. As far as exhaust.. I think personally stock is fine, its a big pipe...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #1028
lordz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive MSport

Quote:
I hear you on the down to one car issue. I've just sold my truck so I'm down to one vehicle as well. I've prepared to rent a pos beater in order to get this done haha. As far as exhaust.. I think personally stock is fine, its a big pipe...
Well, I'm not just in it for the power. I would love to pull all the restrictions out to get more fuel mileage out of this thing. I'm coming from a modded 180/310 Golf that got me 58 mpg running 30psi to this diesel guzzling torque monster that only gets 32mpg (36 if I keep my foot out of it). Granted, they are completely different cars, but with diesels there shouldn't be any issues in doubling power and maintaining or even gaining fuel mileage.

I just can't believe there are so few vendors willing to even touch these things. Shipping ecus off for tweaks is just a pain as there is no way to get a single off the shelf tune to fit all the driving conditions and environmental conditions across the country. Someone will always be less than optimal with that type of setup.

I have no issues driving pretty much anywhere in the US to get the work done as long as it involves a day or two of dyno tuning to fit it to my car and mods. Which is why I would prefer to do everything from the air intake tract to the exhaust tips at the same time. Do it once, do it right, and be done with it. Then on to the M3 bits to take it to the track and see what lap times I can get out of it while still being able to daily it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #1029
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Lordz dont worry about shipping the ECU I have RENNtech flash, flashes will NOT go away UNLESS the dealer does and update or completely reflashes your ECU, why I say this cause they reflashed completely my ECU on my 02 MCS for an update and lost everything I then had to send it to RENNtech after that the car ran 5 years w/o loosing the flash, last dyno was back in 08 and clocked 197 whp with 100k on it. As far as my 335d I had a latest flash and lost somewhat 30 whp and again i sent it to RENNtech now Im clicking at 318 whp and 425 lb/tq on the wheels its ALWAYS a hit and miss with the dealer. And trust me its a pain to send it LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #1030
gtp900
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 2015 35d mspor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordz View Post
I just can't believe there are so few vendors willing to even touch these things. Shipping ecus off for tweaks is just a pain as there is no way to get a single off the shelf tune to fit all the driving conditions and environmental conditions across the country. Someone will always be less than optimal with that type of setup.

I have no issues driving pretty much anywhere in the US to get the work done as long as it involves a day or two of dyno tuning to fit it to my car and mods. Which is why I would prefer to do everything from the air intake tract to the exhaust tips at the same time. Do it once, do it right, and be done with it. Then on to the M3 bits to take it to the track and see what lap times I can get out of it while still being able to daily it.
I agree, I want to the same thing. I am considering a drive to JR's in Canada to get this done, if I can find a Dfp...

Last edited by gtp900; 05-22-2014 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Quoted to much
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #1031
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
So, do we have a number 10?
Anyone had any communication with RSW, please post. Will be good to know where we are. I'm gonna call JR otherwise to see the progress.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #1032
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Hold you breath AMIGO!! All the people that wanted one are now w/o dinero!!! thats why I pushed for the pipe only sell not everyone can dish out $1200 at a time, to many variants here
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #1033
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Anyone had any communication with RSW, please post. Will be good to know where we are. I'm gonna call JR otherwise to see the progress.
Not to worry, I called JR about a week ago and the pipes are being made and his guesstimate was they would be shipping next week. We are not having to wait on #10 but a 10th one will be available. Jump now or don't cry about the extra $$$
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #1034
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh
Quote:
I talked to j.r. The other day.. He's out of the office until Tuesday next week, but he's hoping the order ships and comes in next week
Appreciate 0