bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

View Poll Results: What oil cooler protection did you go with?
Mishimoto Skid Plate 43 25.90%
Turner Motorsport Skid Plate 5 3.01%
ZunSport Oil Cooler Grille 46 27.71%
Unlisted Brand 6 3.61%
DIY Protection 10 6.02%
Can't feel anything with protection, I'm raw doggin' it! 56 33.73%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

01-26-2024, 01:44 PM   #89
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2, 2015 F22 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
If a rock is run over on the edge of a tire it can go in any number of directions depending on multiple variables such as the shape of the rock and where it gets pinched on the tire.
Please don't forget that your tire is spinning and dragging rocks into the spinning direction.

So no, I don't believe that is possible because what you are trying to tell me that rock can shoot forward from under the car and so I should worry about the car behind shooting rocks at my bumper.

I think we have enough to worry about lol

It is one thing to have legit concern but it is a different thing to make up scenarios that not quite physically valid.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 01:51 PM   #90
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
*You missed a post (in a thread) from BMW CA wherein he stated he knows of two that came into his dealership.

Edit: *evidently I cannot find it now...
That was me. One drove too far into a curb. The other was driving down I5. Both had engine failures. Both were M3s.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5997.50
      01-26-2024, 01:59 PM   #91
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumachu View Post
Please don't forget that your tire is spinning and dragging rocks into the spinning direction.

So no, I don't believe that is possible because what you are trying to tell me that rock can shoot forward from under the car and so I should worry about the car behind shooting rocks at my bumper.

I think we have enough to worry about lol

It is one thing to have legit concern but it is a different thing to make up scenarios that not quite physically valid.
What you're doing is discounting all of the variables that are involved. Doesn't matter that a tire is spinning unless the tire grabs onto the rock and pulls it in the direction it's spinning. If, however, it rolls over the rock on its edge it will simply pinch it and shoot it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 02:00 PM   #92
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
Also, why are more people rushing to install a grill under the car than to protect the one on the face of the car?
I would guess that someone who installs the skid plate will also likely install the front grill guards, but there is still rational in your question.

If you puncture your oil cooler under the car, you can blow your engine in .5miles or less. This is proven.

When I punctured my radiator I drove home for an unknown amount of time and got no warning. Then the next time I started my car I got a "low coolant" warning. I just topped off the coooent and drove 30 miles to work looking at the temp. It wasn't until I visually saw the coolant pooling that I realized there was something wrong.

In other words, a punctured radiator is much more forgiving, and therefore isn't as high a priority.
Appreciate 4
      01-26-2024, 02:42 PM   #93
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx-7ames View Post
I would guess that someone who installs the skid plate will also likely install the front grill guards, but there is still rational in your question.

If you puncture your oil cooler under the car, you can blow your engine in .5miles or less. This is proven.

When I punctured my radiator I drove home for an unknown amount of time and got no warning. Then the next time I started my car I got a "low coolant" warning. I just topped off the coooent and drove 30 miles to work looking at the temp. It wasn't until I visually saw the coolant pooling that I realized there was something wrong.

In other words, a punctured radiator is much more forgiving, and therefore isn't as high a priority.
This is exactly the difference, the oil cooler is not at all forgiving, the cooling system will take a small puncture and you get plenty of warning - maybe

Picture a cold day and a broken radiator, you get low coolant way before high temp. What is the status of your engine? Keeping in mind that you may not get a timely high temp because the temperature sensor is normally submerged but now is not. How long for engine heat to soak the sensor?
      01-26-2024, 02:48 PM   #94
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What you're doing is discounting all of the variables that are involved. Doesn't matter that a tire is spinning unless the tire grabs onto the rock and pulls it in the direction it's spinning. If, however, it rolls over the rock on its edge it will simply pinch it and shoot it off.
For the rock to shot forward, something need to give it force in that direction.
Sure if the rock is shape like a triangle and then you drop the M2 on top of that, yeah, I can see that.

But a spinning tire that is on the ground? If what you said would happen, our factory assembly lines where convey belts and sorting wheels is going to have more problem than jamming.
Imagine all the stuff that could fling out in the reverse direction. lol

Keep in mind with Newton 3rd law is the reaction force. The ground goes backward in relative to the car going forward. Your rock is part of the ground, even though it is loose, but does not mean that wheel can send it forward.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 03:58 PM   #95
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
For the rock to shot forward, something need to give it force in that direction.
Sure if the rock is shape like a triangle and then you drop the M2 on top of that, yeah, I can see that.

But a spinning tire that is on the ground? If what you said would happen, our factory assembly lines where convey belts and sorting wheels is going to have more problem than jamming.
Imagine all the stuff that could fling out in the reverse direction. lol

Keep in mind with Newton 3rd law is the reaction force. The ground goes backward in relative to the car going forward. Your rock is part of the ground, even though it is loose, but does not mean that wheel can send it forward.
I give up.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 06:03 PM   #96
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I give up.
haha, I worn you out !
much like what our cars doing to those brakes and tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 06:54 PM   #97
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
haha, I worn you out !
much like what our cars doing to those brakes and tires.
It's Friday.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 09:04 AM   #98
sclouzon
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Personally not a fan of the Zunsport look; has anyone installed the Stradale Design oil and/or radiator gaurds? Any thoughts?

https://www.stradaledesign.com/g87-m2
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 01:51 PM   #99
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Does just doing the under oil cooler provide enough protection? Not a fan of the front protection look. Also is just an under one sold seperate?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 02:08 PM   #100
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
Does just doing the under oil cooler provide enough protection? Not a fan of the front protection look. Also is just an under one sold seperate?
Each protector protects a different thing. The one in this thread is discussing protection for the oil cooler from underside impact.

I’m like you and only ordered the bottom skid plate. All are sold separately, whichever brand you choose.

Mind you, some folks go for the front protection because we had a member who had his radiator punctured, so he was losing coolant. That requires front grilles.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 02:50 PM   #101
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Each protector protects a different thing. The one in this thread is discussing protection for the oil cooler from underside impact.

I’m like you and only ordered the bottom skid plate. All are sold separately, whichever brand you choose.

Mind you, some folks go for the front protection because we had a member who had his radiator punctured, so he was losing coolant. That requires front grilles.
I got the Zunsport front grill and only putting on the center piece just simply because I hate seeing full size leaves getting in and just sitting there. I don't think it provide much "protection" to the front radiator. Just don't like leaves getting in lol
Appreciate 1
M2siast5997.50
      01-29-2024, 09:02 PM   #102
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
I got the Zunsport front grill and only putting on the center piece just simply because I hate seeing full size leaves getting in and just sitting there. I don't think it provide much "protection" to the front radiator. Just don't like leaves getting in lol
Ok take it off and observe the opening. Reinstall and observe the opening. Im not at all sure what you are seeing. Not much protection is the status of it being uncovered. Maybe check your prescription or you failed basic physics lol. It will be deflecting far more than it not being covered. A member posted here he has seen a Zunsport screen survive and protect a deer impact. What more do you want.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 07:39 AM   #103
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
Ok take it off and observe the opening. Reinstall and observe the opening. Im not at all sure what you are seeing. Not much protection is the status of it being uncovered. Maybe check your prescription or you failed basic physics lol. It will be deflecting far more than it not being covered. A member posted here he has seen a Zunsport screen survive and protect a deer impact. What more do you want.
"protect a deer impact"? what does that mean?

All I know it kept almost 99% leaves out so mission accomplished for me. I don't think I want any of this deer impact thing. I rather drive around that.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5997.50
      01-30-2024, 11:59 AM   #104
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Here’s a radical suggestion. Add extra protection if you choose. Otherwise, don’t. Apologize ahead for the extreme idea.
Appreciate 2
akumachu181.00
M2siast5997.50
      01-30-2024, 12:18 PM   #105
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Here’s a radical suggestion. Add extra protection if you choose. Otherwise, don’t. Apologize ahead for the extreme idea.
Now you are just trying to radicalize me with extremes
Appreciate 1
M2siast5997.50
      02-02-2024, 05:09 PM   #106
sclouzon
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclouzon View Post
Personally not a fan of the Zunsport look; has anyone installed the Stradale Design oil and/or radiator gaurds? Any thoughts?

https://www.stradaledesign.com/g87-m2
Found a video on the install for the center radiator; it looks pretty straight-forward, but haven’t found anything on the sides or the oil cooler.

However he mentioned manuals have some protection, curious how much and if I will even need this then? Maybe just the oil cooler guard.
Appreciate 0