E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 PureTurbos Intake Inlet pipe

02-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #89
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkay M View Post
I ordered but have not installed the inlet pipe on my stock n55 turbo. Why would more flow possibly hurt performance. Should i be worried about installing this on a full bolt on N55?
The only issue would be that there is now a lip right in front of your compressor inlet. The stock turbo has a inlet the same size as the stock inlet pipe so it is a smooth transition. If you make the inlet pipe bigger now you have a lip right there causing turbulence. Now does the decreased restriction overcome the increased turbulence? That we don't know. The upgraded turbos bet a bored out inlet because the compressor wheel is larger, so that makes the lip smaller or non-existent.
Appreciate 2
BKBMW335I160.00
      02-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #90
ShlemonboostedM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuhutch View Post
yea either would work. i'm just interested in pwms and afrs
Btw I have noticed after putting stock intake back on that my PWM is lower with the stock intake compared to BMS intake. So I am running stock intake currently.
Interesting.. I'm not a fan of bms intake either .. you think stock one will be better ? I was actually thinking going with stock intake ...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #91
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlemonboostedM
Quote:
Quote:
Btw I have noticed after putting stock intake back on that my PWM is lower with the stock intake compared to BMS intake. So I am running stock intake currently.
Interesting.. I'm not a fan of bms intake either .. you think stock one will be better ? I was actually thinking going with stock intake ...
Well i run 1 psi more up top with stock intake. I found the bms intake to be less comfy in sport/sport+ and also in comfort on smooth throttle. As well on on/off moments i didnt like it so much. So for now i stick with stock intake for a while.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #92
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Installed this piece today.. A little disappointed with the top flange of the pipe. The pipe is offset/filled in with weld and the ID actually seems quite a bit smaller than the stock piece. Also, the hole for mounting the pipe to the block wasn't quite big enough to fit the stock rubber mounting grommet. I fixed that with a drill bit. However, the part that actually slides into the turbo is beautiful. A lot bigger than the stock piece, and much prettier. Installation was a snap as well, fit perfectly. Don't register anything on the butt-dyno (no surprise), and no difference in sound or anything.

Based on price, and quality of the (inside of the) top flange, I probably wouldn't buy it again. But that's just because i'm an OCD asshole.. I know the time and work that goes into a piece like this. No complaints, just feel that it's a bit pricey. Still have yet to get any logs or anything..

02-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #93
ShlemonboostedM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlemonboostedM
Quote:
Quote:
Well i run 1 psi more up top with stock intake. I found the bms intake to be less comfy in sport/sport+ and also in comfort on smooth throttle. As well on on/off moments i didnt like it so much. So for now i stick with stock intake for a while.
Yea I'll probably remove my intake too .. As I have some rough idle with it once it was installed.. Just drop k&n filter in their and call it a day .. Specially if you hold 1psi more with stock intake .. Bms one prolly loosing power then gaining ..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #94
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

No n55 love??
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #95
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

Kinda looks like the stock piece has a lip that could be easily opened up.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #96
iuhutch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18%E2%80%99 F80 ZCP

Hey guys, first off sorry for the delay. Between switching jobs and a few weeks out of town, and it being cold as shit here things have been sidetracked regarding the car.

I have ordered stage2 PURE kit and plan on getting it installed in 6 weeks or so, so more to come there

The installer is a Dinan rep and i'm trying to see if I can test that flash before paying 2k for it. My thought is that it can act as an BEF and show the TCU ~17psi of load which would make my trans happy...

Took some of the knowledge from the pure stg2 test car results and tapered my boost curve up slowly. This is the first test log I've done in months and the car is ripping. I have a ton of work to do once it warms up here!

Anyhow, here is a log in 4th on map 6 starting at 12psi and slowly building up to 17psi @ 6k tapering to 16psi after 6k. 93OCT so you can see timing adjust a bit but i'm happy too see a steady RPM climb with my DCT and no BEF!!

This is my plan w stage2 but really just getting it due to the craftsmanship and me being brand loyal to PURE. PURE FTW!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #97
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

cool!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:05 AM   #98
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey guys, first off sorry for the delay. Between switching jobs and a few weeks out of town, and it being cold as shit here things have been sidetracked regarding the car.

I have ordered stage2 PURE kit and plan on getting it installed in 6 weeks or so, so more to come there

The installer is a Dinan rep and i'm trying to see if I can test that flash before paying 2k for it. My thought is that it can act as an BEF and show the TCU ~17psi of load which would make my trans happy...

Took some of the knowledge from the pure stg2 test car results and tapered my boost curve up slowly. This is the first test log I've done in months and the car is ripping. I have a ton of work to do once it warms up here!

Anyhow, here is a log in 4th on map 6 starting at 12psi and slowly building up to 17psi @ 6k tapering to 16psi after 6k. 93OCT so you can see timing adjust a bit but i'm happy too see a steady RPM climb with my DCT and no BEF!!

This is my plan w stage2 but really just getting it due to the craftsmanship and me being brand loyal to PURE. PURE FTW!
I will also make a boost taper-up curve with the stage2 I will find out soon what my ZF autobox can handle
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 05:43 AM   #99
kimoboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Is the Pure intake pipe same like Evolution Racewerks BMW Charge Pipe or this is something else.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #100
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimoboy
Is the Pure intake pipe same like Evolution Racewerks BMW Charge Pipe or this is something else.
Something else
      03-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #101
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke344 View Post
I was interested in this too so today I decided to remove my intake tube and take a look. Unfortunately it doesn't look like this is possible. The flange that goes into the turbo is enlarged to fit the opening. The tube is much smaller. I can't believe we're able to get almost 400hp from this tiny of an intake. I took the calipers to it. The ID is only 1.8 inches! Looks like I'll be placing my order from Pure very soon.
Attached Images

2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 05:40 AM   #102
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tke344 View Post
I was interested in this too so today I decided to remove my intake tube and take a look. Unfortunately it doesn't look like this is possible. The flange that goes into the turbo is enlarged to fit the opening. The tube is much smaller. I can't believe we're able to get almost 400hp from this tiny of an intake. I took the calipers to it. The ID is only 1.8 inches! Looks like I'll be placing my order from Pure very soon.
Tnx for sharing this info!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #103
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch View Post
Thanks for checking, your pictures make it much more obvious that there's nothing you can do with the stock piece. Strange that BMW would go through the trouble of making it like that, tapering it down then putting a larger flange. Would it be possible to just put a silicone coupler and a clamp on the outside of the turbo? I still like the idea of a custom intake that routes up and stays on the passenger side of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #104
trixdout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi 6mt

As soon as other manufacturers start putting out their own inlet pipes, this price will surely drop because they won't sell any at that price. I say it's a ripoff at $250. Excuse me if what I say hurts anyone's feelings.
      03-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #105
PURE135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: dct beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixdout View Post
As soon as other manufacturers start putting out their own inlet pipes, this price will surely drop because they won't sell any at that price. I say it's a ripoff at $250. Excuse me if what I say hurts anyone's feelings.
this is 1 solid pipe designed and tested by PURE. you will start seeing cheaper inlets that are using silicone couplers with flanges im sure. more prone to failure and not have smooth flow into the turbo.. suit yourself its a well crafted and engineered pipe. guys when i initially installed the turbo inlet and BMS intake i was blown away at how much "HARDER" or shall i say "quicker" the car spooled up on map 6.(this was when i was PURE stage 1) the stock intake def has restrictions and doesnt allow the upgraded turbos to fully breathe.think about the flow characteristics of the stock intake and BMS. the BMS is capable of flowing something like 40% more air than the stock setup so keep that in mind if going stage 2. IF you are running stage 2 turbo the PURE inlet/ BMS intake does make a very big BUTT dyno difference in spool up time. how much i dont know but it is noticeable and youre just leaving power on the table without the inlet/intake. my .002
E50+meth
#thepunisher

Last edited by PURE135i; 03-02-2015 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #106
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
I put my stock intake back and did some 60-130 logging and my fastest times come with stock intake, not the bms intake.

I will test stage2 with stock inlet (untill i receive upgraded inlet from jesse) and stock intake first. Then i will do upgraded inlet and stock intake. And i will end with bms intake and pure inlet. So i will have data to go with the butt dyno feeling

With stage1 the stock intake is not restricting flow. Maybe the inlet but i never had a chance to test it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #107
PURE135i
Private First Class
Rep

this is good data for sure. you dont have a BEF and im wondering if that has something to do with my statement vs yours. i did notice without BEF my car spooled up much slower b/c the throttle doesnt fully open till about 4k in my logs(when i started WOT around 3k)....where with BEF as soon as i floor it (3k rpms)it goes WOT immediately on logs too.... food for thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
I put my stock intake back and did some 60-130 logging and my fastest times come with stock intake, not the bms intake.

I will test stage2 with stock inlet (untill i receive upgraded inlet from jesse) and stock intake first. Then i will do upgraded inlet and stock intake. And i will end with bms intake and pure inlet. So i will have data to go with the butt dyno feeling

With stage1 the stock intake is not restricting flow. Maybe the inlet but i never had a chance to test it.
E50+meth
#thepunisher
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #108
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURE135i
this is good data for sure. you dont have a BEF and im wondering if that has something to do with my statement vs yours. i did notice without BEF my car spooled up much slower b/c the throttle doesnt fully open till about 4k in my logs(when i started WOT around 3k)....where with BEF as soon as i floor it (3k rpms)it goes WOT immediately on logs too.... food for thought

Quote:

Terry said that throttle in the log has nothing to do with performance. He also said its normal for n55's. And yes with a bef this behaviour changes and the logs look a bit cleaner but thats it.

I think the inlet has more impact on spool than the intake.

I was surprised as well seeing slightly better times with stock intake but gps loggers dont lie i drive around all day with the gps logger
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #109
PURE135i
Private First Class
Rep

I have logs that show me not hitting target boost till 3800 where with BEF it was 3500. (this was stage 1 turbo) testing done in map 7.im sure you're right about the inlet its a big restriction for sure! I also i dont see any chance the stock intake will out perform the BMS with a stage 2 turbo id be willing to bet your 60-130 times are slower with stage 2 turbo// stock intake vs bms intake . i would also bet in a max boost scenario the car with bms intake hits target sooner in the rpm range on a dyno than same car on stock intake. cant wait to see what you find when you get the stage 2 on there

Quote:
Terry said that throttle in the log has nothing to do with performance. He also said its normal for n55's. And yes with a bef this behaviour changes and the logs look a bit cleaner but thats it.

I was surprised as well seeing slightly better times with stock intake but gps loggers dont lie i drive around all day with the gps logger
E50+meth
#thepunisher
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #110
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURE135i
I have logs that show me not hitting target boost till 3800 where with BEF it was 3500. (this was stage 1 turbo) testing done in map 7.im sure you're right about the inlet its a big restriction for sure! I also i dont see any chance the stock intake will out perform the BMS with a stage 2 turbo id be willing to bet your 60-130 times are slower with stage 2 turbo// stock intake vs bms intake . i would also bet in a max boost scenario the car with bms intake hits target sooner in the rpm range on a dyno than same car on stock intake. cant wait to see what you find when you get the stage 2 on there

Quote:

Well i suspect and hope with stage2 turbo the intake brings any gains.

Testing will start hopefully wednesday evening
Appreciate 0