E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Steed Speed - BMW 335i T3/T4 Twin Scroll Manifold

03-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #89
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow335i View Post
For those of you looking to do this even cheaper than many of the fancy turbos ($1700+) check this turbo out!!

http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...-75-turbo.html

It is a very efficient, affordable, and optionable turbo. You can configure it in MANY ways including 1.0+ a/r's with twin scroll. They are known to have a very loud spool and are capable of 45+ psi lol. Great turbos.
Is this a direct swap?

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #90
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
lol its been like 8 years since my obsession with chipotle started and I could still eat it for every meal if i had the time to run 10 miles a day to counter what would become of me. i used to accept gift cards for tunes lol

and that intelligent individual who thought i worked for chipotle cracked me up lol if i wasn't so lazy I would find that post
well they have the brown rice option now to make it a little more healthy for ya...and it doesn't taste to bad either!

yeah i liked your previous sig with the burrito bowl pic...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #91
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
Is this a direct swap?
It is a direct swap in that it is a t4 flange so as long as you order a manifold with a t4 flange on it you can rock out with it. The turbo is a bit larger (external diameter) as it has good meat on it (good for retaining heat which sometimes can help spool especially if you coat it) so if you already have a downpipe made for a different turbo it may have to be modified. Since the manifold won't come with a downpipe you could get this turbo and just fab the downpipe to fit. I strongly recommend everyone put a flex pipe in the downpipe somewhere as I expect these high hp motors to rock a bit in the engine bay so the flex pipe will allow for some movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
all I think of when I think of chiptole is bloody underwear and chipotle-away
I would have trouble quitting chipotle even if it came out that it was worse for you than smoking. Burrito, double chicken, sour cream, extra cheese, and a very little bit of lettuce. The trick is to then either put some honey on each bite or a little bit of hot sauce. Both of those make for a delicious and fattening meal. Ugh - now im going to chipotle on the way home from base
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #92
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It is a direct swap in that it is a t4 flange so as long as you order a manifold with a t4 flange on it you can rock out with it. The turbo is a bit larger (external diameter) as it has good meat on it (good for retaining heat which sometimes can help spool especially if you coat it) so if you already have a downpipe made for a different turbo it may have to be modified. Since the manifold won't come with a downpipe you could get this turbo and just fab the downpipe to fit. I strongly recommend everyone put a flex pipe in the downpipe somewhere as I expect these high hp motors to rock a bit in the engine bay so the flex pipe will allow for some movement.
Thanks for the info.

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #93
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I would have trouble quitting chipotle even if it came out that it was worse for you than smoking. Burrito, double chicken, sour cream, extra cheese, and a very little bit of lettuce. The trick is to then either put some honey on each bite or a little bit of hot sauce. Both of those make for a delicious and fattening meal. Ugh - now im going to chipotle on the way home from base
Thanks for the info.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #94
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
Thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
Thanks for the info.
No problem!! To both of you
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #95
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

Full Race is waiting to put their E9X turbo kit out to the public, those damn BW EFR turbos need to hurry up!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #96
Das Stig
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Evo X GSR + E90 335i

for as many platforms as full race has been promising an EFR kit for and using that excuse, they may as well start their own Indy team to cut line

edit: in case Geoff is reading this - THAT WAS A JOKE! FINISH GETTING TURBO KITS TO MARKET BEFORE STARTING INDY CAR PROJECT
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #97
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Yeah, damn Indy Cars stealing all the EFRs....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #98
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep

Definitely off to a great start for the N54 in 2012. With all this big hp around the corner with big singles or upgraded twins I was checking out how other platforms are progressing as well and came across this 370z putting down 800whp, sounds insane:

http://www.z1motorsports.com/g37_370...oducts_id=4393

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 02:52 AM   #99
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
For those of you looking to do this even cheaper than many of the fancy turbos ($1700+) check this turbo out!!

http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...-75-turbo.html

It is a very efficient, affordable, and optionable turbo. You can configure it in MANY ways including 1.0+ a/r's with twin scroll. They are known to have a very loud spool and are capable of 45+ psi lol. Great turbos.
This is all GREAT GREAT GREAT information!!! Your knowledge of this subject is somewhat overwhelming to me and trying to figure out this thread is good fun. So basically what I am hearing in retard language is...

1) This turbo (with proper manifold from Steed Speed) will be a direct bolt-on to our cars
2) we will need to custom fabricate a downpipe for the turbo outlet
3) we will obviously need our own tune

I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind. Is the turbo you link'd above comprable to a gt35r twin scroll? That is a great price for a WB turbo and I have heard many GREAT things about their turbos.

Will generic modified appliances (such as my ER intercooler, afe intake, and what not) still be comatable? Will the piping need to be sized up to allow for more air flow?

I am sure I will come up with more questions but this looks really promising and I am really excited about this find!!!!! Seems more of a track/quality based product/thread than 'ZOMG, look how much MAX HP we make' kind of thread.

Mike

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #100
GmoBmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Im Sooo stoked for all the things that are happening for the N54, Now to Rebuilding my AT.
      03-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #101
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike View Post
This is all GREAT GREAT GREAT information!!! Your knowledge of this subject is somewhat overwhelming to me and trying to figure out this thread is good fun. So basically what I am hearing in retard language is...

1) This turbo (with proper manifold from Steed Speed) will be a direct bolt-on to our cars
2) we will need to custom fabricate a downpipe for the turbo outlet
3) we will obviously need our own tune

I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind. Is the turbo you link'd above comprable to a gt35r twin scroll? That is a great price for a WB turbo and I have heard many GREAT things about their turbos.

Will generic modified appliances (such as my ER intercooler, afe intake, and what not) still be comatable? Will the piping need to be sized up to allow for more air flow?

I am sure I will come up with more questions but this looks really promising and I am really excited about this find!!!!! Seems more of a track/quality based product/thread than 'ZOMG, look how much MAX HP we make' kind of thread.

Mike
1) The manifold will be direct bolt on and fit flawlessly I am sure (Leen has always made a top quality part and if something doesnt fit he simply doesnt sell it until it does.

2) DP, oil/water lines, hot pipe (turbo compressor to fmic), cheapo intake solution (shouldn't be more than 100$ as you just need to fit a filter anywhere really - even just a turbo screen technically would work but not too ideally, and some odds and ends)

3) yep your fmic should work if its rated for enough flow/hp, depending on your hp goals you may want to rethink a few things. I know for 600hp I would LIKE to have 2.5" on the hot side of the intercooler and 2.75-3" on the cold side. 2.5" should flow plenty though for 600hp.

I really want to buy this manifold and go with a single but with what I do for a living and starting to save for my first home its just killing me that I know I shouldnt because its not the smart thing to do for me and my wife. I have had my ultimate build in the past. I got to do all the work myself and took a car that came with 132whp and made just shy of 600 in it. I REALLY want to just make an easy 500 daily which would be reliable and simple with a t3 35r and would have tons of early tq as it would spool fully before 3000rpms. It would even be capable of 600+ depending on the back housing - a/r. I even get a lot of the parts I need a wholesale pricing and can fabricate a lot of the other parts myself for just the cost of material. It would be awesome because then I could just put together a few of each of the pieces needed for this kit to help some of you guys out since alot of people don't have these abillities or ammenties readily available. I just don't think I can justify the 3000$ I would need to do this project. Making one set of oil / water lines to custom fit any setup would be the same as making 5 at one time for me. Same with the dp i could setup as it would be an easy one for any shop to finish if i just got the majority of it done (leaving about 1ft of gap where it ends to the catback so any shop could finish it up for 50$ locally).

DISCLAIMER- sorry for crap writing this morning - 0800 patient came early and wanted to hash this out prior lol
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #102
CaliforniaBred
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Don't launch the piss out of your car and tune for lower torque down low.
I don't launch my car at all. Usually get my fun from a roll. I was trying to imply how easy it is for MT vehicles to upgrade their power holding capabilities, without having to drop, ship, rebuild and reinstall the transmission. Bleh whatever I am just excited to see all this forward progress on our platform.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #103
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
From my experience, the trans doesn't like settling into the next gear under full boost. Especially 3rd-4th. It works wonders cutting nitrous briefly during shifts. So wondering if there is a way with big turbos to cut the timing more/longer during the shift, etc. Cutting boost/closing the throttle seems like it would be less accurate in controlling power during the shift.
Well at a high shift like 6500 or so torque is reduced and the timing drop during the shift will assist as well spraying nitrous through the shift can be a problem. I can see it being a problem if you shift WOT at like 3000 at peak torque but I don't drive like that.
      03-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #104
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
2) DP, oil/water lines, hot pipe (turbo compressor to fmic), cheapo intake solution (shouldn't be more than 100$ as you just need to fit a filter anywhere really - even just a turbo screen technically would work but not too ideally, and some odds and ends)
So are we assuming this manifold is going to have EWG provisions (unlike Vishnu's or any of the pictures posted above?). If so, you've got another $600 in EWG and custom fab for re-route if you go that way. If NOT, you've got quite another investment on your hands to figure out where/how to place one.

Last edited by boostd92; 03-06-2012 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #105
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow335i
Marketing? Try researching the company prior to throwing out random words.

Steedspeed has a reputation for being calm, quiet, and letting products speak for themselves. If it was marketing you probably would have seen him come on this forum and talk about it. Instead - in a talk with Dzenno tonight on gchat I thought I would look around to save myself the hassle of welding one myself. I have known Leen through forums for a while and always admired his ability not to let people who are commonly referred to as &quot;nutswingers&quot; and &quot;ethugs&quot; affect him or his business. He is the quiet guy who simply makes a near flawless product that either gets private labeled or used so much people don't even talk about it because its simply the normal.

He isn't bragging about possible numbers, having a fast car, the best product, etc. He will simply release a product that will allow us to purchase a manifold at a reasonable price, that isn't bundled with a tune, that doesnt require you to use certain other parts, that will simply allow you to chose a turbo, fab a downpipe, make some quick oil and water lines, and be on your way. I guess I've been tuning with standalones and flash tunes, fabricating my own parts, assembling my own motors, and actually being a shadetree mechanic for so long that I plain forgot that unless its bickered about or has a marketing rep who could tell you the sky is yellow (not saying names - and if you think you know who I am referencing you are most likely very wrong) and people believe it because they don't know any better - the product can't be good. My stance is - if it NEEDS someone to tell you why its good, you either need to stop asking for someone to hold your hand or get to the library and learn you something worth knowing. The misinformation on this board is laughable at best.

As for twin scroll - its all about the back housing. The A/R of the turbine housing (among many other specifications) determines how the turbo will flow, spool, and behave. By having a twin scroll design you sacrifice a little top end cfm for a quicker spool and a broader powerband. Because this will be a manifold that lets you choose your own setup - go with whatever you want. If you want a fun 650 whp then a twin-scroll t4 35r will be a lot of fun. If that isn't enough for you - get a turbo that flows more cfm and can handle high rpm's on a 3.0L motor. Why do you people all just bitch bitch bitch when all you ahve to do is understand how things work. What you want may be very different from what I want. That doesn't mean either party is wrong. We all just want different things.
+1

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #106
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd92 View Post

So are we assuming this manifold is going to have EWG provisions (unlike Vishnu's or any of the pictures posted above?). If so, you've got another $600 in EWG and custom fab for re-route if you go that way. If NOT, you've got quite another investment on your hands to figure out where/how to place one.
Vishnu's manifold does have an external wastegate..... and who the hell charges $600 to route a dump tube back into the downpipe?!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #107
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
AFAIK, Vishnu's mainfold DOES NOT. The wastegate is welded directly to the exhaust housing of the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #108
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz_M3 View Post
Vishnu's manifold does have an external wastegate..... and who the hell charges $600 to route a dump tube back into the downpipe?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd92 View Post
AFAIK, Vishnu's mainfold DOES NOT. The wastegate is welded directly to the exhaust housing of the turbo.
it's still considered an external wastegate because:

-you still have to buy a tial or similar wastegate
-it's not integrated with the turbo (cost or physically)
-it still requires a dump tube to the downpipe

internal wastegates are included in the turbo (like the n54 stock turbos). they share the housing, exhaust path, etc.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #109
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep

I mentioned the EWG in an earlier post. It is NOT 600$ in routing it back. A tial wastegate (if you go the EWG route) can be had for 275-300. Leen's / Steedspeeds manifolds typicall have a port for them so you dont have to weld it on - simply bolt it - or cap it if you get an IWG turbo which is readily available from some manufacturer's. Once it is bolted on you can simply have a dump tube fabbed up or a wg tube merged back into the downpipe. Any shop that charges more than about 150$ to do that is ripping you off. Because of the design of where things will be placed and based off all my past experiences with steed speed products - you wouldn't need but 12" at most to reroute into the downpipe or 18" to have it vent to atmoshpere out under the car.

If I can convince myself to waste the money - I will put together a detailed writeup for what i did, what i needed, how i fabbed the parts, and what you will need to do for a complete setup. I am very tempted just because it would be a fun weekend project but I don't know if I feel like dropping more money into this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #110
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
I mentioned the EWG in an earlier post. It is NOT 600$ in routing it back. A tial wastegate (if you go the EWG route) can be had for 275-300. Leen's / Steedspeeds manifolds typicall have a port for them so you dont have to weld it on - simply bolt it - or cap it if you get an IWG turbo which is readily available from some manufacturer's. Once it is bolted on you can simply have a dump tube fabbed up or a wg tube merged back into the downpipe. Any shop that charges more than about 150$ to do that is ripping you off. Because of the design of where things will be placed and based off all my past experiences with steed speed products - you wouldn't need but 12" at most to reroute into the downpipe or 18" to have it vent to atmoshpere out under the car.

If I can convince myself to waste the money - I will put together a detailed writeup for what i did, what i needed, how i fabbed the parts, and what you will need to do for a complete setup. I am very tempted just because it would be a fun weekend project but I don't know if I feel like dropping more money into this car.
If you do drop the money on the car, I will back you 100% YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT!

Anyways you know you want to do it!

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0