F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i / 440i (B58) BMW M Performance Power and Sound Kit (MPPSK) Official Release
ARMA SPEED

08-15-2020, 03:59 AM   #1101
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

False.
Any non-OEM component potentially voids the warranty on related components (not on the entire vehicle). Check with your BMW dealership. This is pretty basic and also correct. An exhaust system is not just a pipe. Badly engineered/manufactured products can have an effect on related components. If you change a component in a system, you change the system. If that system fails - your change will very likely be the reason why you will not see a penny from the warranty.
      08-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #1102
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
False.
Any non-OEM component potentially voids the warranty on related components (not on the entire vehicle). Check with your BMW dealership. This is pretty basic and also correct. An exhaust system is not just a pipe. Badly engineered/manufactured products can have an effect on related components. If you change a component in a system, you change the system. If that system fails - your change will very likely be the reason why you will not see a penny from the warranty.
It's a 3" pipe made by an OEM supplier to BMW.

The chances of it voiding any sort of warranty via damage is basically nil.

Replacing the downpipe, intake, suspension components, engine tunes, and electrical mods are where the ban hammer will get you.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #1103
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

That's not really for you and me to assess. The rule is very simple - any component not part of the type certificate of the car (controlled by Part Number) invalidates the warranty of related components and systems (not the entire vehicle).

If e.g. your catalyst Converter fails, you can be sure you will not get a new one under warranty with an aftermarket exhaust.

Of course at the end it is down to the dealership and/or specific employee, but those are the rules. It does not matter who the manufacturer is and whether he is famous or not or supplier or not. Is the P/N part of the vehicle's approval? No. Then good luck.

And again - if you really think an exhaust system is just a pipe - you are extremely wrong. There is a whole science of thermodynamics, gas propagation and sound-dynamics behind it! Trust me. Or at least trust the subject matter experts. Akrapovic is a good example.
      08-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #1104
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's not really for you and me to assess. The rule is very simple - any component not part of the type certificate of the car (controlled by Part Number) invalidates the warranty of related components and systems (not the entire vehicle).

If e.g. your catalyst Converter fails, you can be sure you will not get a new one under warranty with an aftermarket exhaust.

Of course at the end it is down to the dealership and/or specific employee, but those are the rules. It does not matter who the manufacturer is and whether he is famous or not or supplier or not. Is the P/N part of the vehicle's approval? No. Then good luck.

And again - if you really think an exhaust system is just a pipe - you are extremely wrong. There is a whole science of thermodynamics, gas propagation and sound-dynamics behind it! Trust me. Or at least trust the subject matter experts. Akrapovic is a good example.
Technically? Sure, your assessment is correct.

But practically, the risk of a Remus cat-back blowing your cat/turbo or causing any sort of warranty issue is microscopic.

They are an OEM supplier to a dozen companies, and most likely manufacture the MPSSK for BMW itself.

"Besides the complete tuning industry, Remus Innovation GmbH includes various renowned premium car manufacturers, such as Mercedes AMG, Porsche, Bentley, McLaren, Aston Martin, BMW or Ducati as its OEM clients. More than 90 percent of the production volume is exported to more than 60 countries in the world and this percentage is set to increase."

Of course they have the competency and capability to manufacture a perfectly matched sport exhaust for their aftermarket.

I doubt there is a single thread on the internet of a Remus cat back (only cat-back, no downpipes or tunes) causing issues of warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #1105
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I can fully agree with your last post. The likelihood of a reputable exhaust (Remus, Akrapovic, etc) causing a problem upstream is practically extremely negligible. HOWEVER, this would not stop BMW to claim that the exhaust had an effect and deny a warranty repair. This is precisely what happens way too often in reality. They always look for a way out and you would be giving them a convenient out of jail card, irrespective of the facts. And legally they would have every right to at least claim that the aftermarket part had a finger in another component upstream failing. Good luck proving the opposite. Again - I agree the likelihood of all this happening is low, but to say that an exhaust would not be voiding the warranty is very misleading and something every BMW dealership would disagree with, if asked.

P.s. No, it is not REMUS who designed and manufactured MPPSK. It is a less known, specialized British company. And they did a FANTASTIC job.
      08-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #1106
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
I can fully agree with your last post. The likelihood of a reputable exhaust (Remus, Akrapovic, etc) causing a problem upstream is practically extremely negligible. HOWEVER, this would not stop BMW to claim that the exhaust had an effect and deny a warranty repair. This is precisely what happens way too often in reality. They always look for a way out and you would be giving them a convenient out of jail card, irrespective of the facts. And legally they would have every right to at least claim that the aftermarket part had a finger in another component upstream failing. Good luck proving the opposite. Again - I agree the likelihood of all this happening is low, but to say that an exhaust would not be voiding the warranty is very misleading and something every BMW dealership would disagree with, if asked.

P.s. No, it is not REMUS who designed and manufactured MPPSK. It is a less known, specialized British company. And they did a FANTASTIC job.
Amen to the MPPSK. For me it was the perfect addition to my 340. The only thing I will probably do sometime is switch my bmw silver tips for the bmw CF tips. But that is cosmetic and will do when I have a moment.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #1107
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

In the US at least, the onus is on BMW to prove that the part caused the problem.

This is far, far easier with engine tunes and downpipes than something less invasive like a sport exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:29 PM   #1108
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I don't disagree.
I only disagree with a generic statement that an exhaust does not void warranty. That is per definition wrong.
      08-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #1109
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Amen to the MPPSK. For me it was the perfect addition to my 340. The only thing I will probably do sometime is switch my bmw silver tips for the bmw CF tips. But that is cosmetic and will do when I have a moment.
I agree the CF tips look phenomenal. New. Be aware that cleaning and maintaining them is pretty high effort because of their design. I've basically given up at this point (3 1/2 years after purchase).
I can take a snap and show you what they look like if you're interested. They still look good, just definitely showing their age.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #1110
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

If you pay attention to them during every car wash (as you should), there is nothing high-maintenance about them. Yes, there is that double edge, but it just gets dusty in between.
Mine still look like new.
I did however ceramic-coat them a couple of months ago. Haven't yet fully washed the car thereafter as it hasn't been driven much lately.
      08-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #1111
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supr3me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
I agree the CF tips look phenomenal. New. Be aware that cleaning and maintaining them is pretty high effort because of their design. I've basically given up at this point (3 1/2 years after purchase).
I can take a snap and show you what they look like if you're interested. They still look good, just definitely showing their age.
Sure send a pic. That would be helpful. My silver tips get dirty, but with a little TLC each wash they clean right up. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #1112
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Self Tuned 340i 8AT RWD

I didn't get them, too small and too expensive IMO.

I got the BMS black anodized 4" black tips instead
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 03:35 PM   #1113
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Expensive - without a doubt. Small.... not sure I'd call them small. Appreciably larger than the stock (non-MPPSK) ones.

To me the only downside (apart from the price) is that they can be stolen for under 5 seconds.... literally. Given the price - that's a nasty one. Not a risk where I live and park, but definitely something to consider if your environment is different.
      08-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #1114
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Self Tuned 340i 8AT RWD

They are $1000 in my country and back then I didn't have any CF on the car so I felt they would look odd on the car, It all didn't make sense.

Also when you get used to the 4 inch tips it's very hard to go back.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 08:24 PM   #1115
JNMNL52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440ix 2018 X5 35i

MPPSK Install

I have been evaluating MPPSK since I purchased my 2017 F-32 back in January and read hundreds of reviews and posted several inquiries. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered today. Should be fitted by next week. I am psyched.
      08-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #1116
roger55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
I have been evaluating MPPSK since I purchased my 2017 F-32 back in January and read hundreds of reviews and posted several inquiries. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered today. Should be fitted by next week. I am psyched.
Please post a review. I'm still evaluating a purchase for my 2019 440ix that I bought in February. Haven't done it yet because of Covid. I bet I've put less than 1000 miles on it since I got it and the majority of the those were in the first few weeks. I just don't go anywhere right now so I might as well hold off on the MPPSK until I'm able to drive the car like I intended to when I bought it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #1117
uhdimzy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

How do we get the "gunshot" like sounds with the MPPSK?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #1118
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

>3000 RPM, Off the gas.
(Watch some YouTube.... plenty of videos demonstrating MPPSK).
      08-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #1119
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
>3000 RPM, Off the gas.
(Watch some YouTube.... plenty of videos demonstrating MPPSK).
+1; works just like that on my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #1120
uhdimzy
Private First Class
Rep

Seems like my new to me 2017 340 (with Mppsk fitted when previous owner bought new) hasn't received a software update hence why I'm not always getting the "gunshots"

Could anyone with a mppsk fitted from 2018 onwards check their NBT version for me? Im on NBTEvo "J"

On idrive: map -> options -> position and version
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #1121
uhdimzy
Private First Class
Rep

Another question

Is it an idrive update I need that will also update the mppsk software? Or is there another module that needs to be updated?

For example, If I report glitches in my idrive system and the flash new firmware will that also get me the latest version of the tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 04:12 PM   #1122
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

iDrive has NOTHING to do with MPPSK. iDrive is just the infotainment system. Guess which module controls the engine.... no, not the same one that plays mp3s.... it's the Engine Control Unit (ECU)

If you want to do some research, it is the iStep version that should be looked at. You will not find it in the menus. You can read it out of your user-profile backup files which you need to transfer to a PC.

My MPPSK was installed in Q3 2018 and initially it was very "muted" and suppressed. As soon as my car got updated in Q3 2019, I finally got the MPPSK orgasm everyone is talking about 😁

Just ask for a complete SW update of your car. They update everything anyway, as it comes as a pack.