E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~

08-22-2024, 04:42 AM   #1409
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyK View Post
Got a question - what does the chinese emulator actually do? For example if you coded the car for 3AG and didnt install the emulator. Could you still see the reverse image in the car ( assuming the reverse camera RCA is connected to the CIC and its powered)
Im under the impression the module reads the canbus when its on reverse and powers 12v for the camera at that moment. Could someone confirm?
I like your thinking. Wouldn't surprise me thats all it does. The emu is certainly expensive for what it is.

So your thinking of getting power from a reverse light or similar. Maybe try the coding without any other work, you would think itll still come up? without an image of course.

Edit: when i get time ill try unplugging my emu and power the cam. Ill see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2024, 06:24 AM   #1410
VickyK
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2011 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgAu View Post
I like your thinking. Wouldn't surprise me thats all it does. The emu is certainly expensive for what it is.

So your thinking of getting power from a reverse light or similar. Maybe try the coding without any other work, you would think itll still come up? without an image of course.

Edit: when i get time ill try unplugging my emu and power the cam. Ill see what happens.
Legend! Thanks

My setup is a bit complicated, so to speak.. I'm currently running front and reverse cam AHD, powered permanently from cigarette lighter circuit. Both cam signal gets fed into a video distribution circuit (VDA). From there one feed goes to the CIC and another gets to my 'Blackbox' CCTV recorder. Basically I'm using my parking cameras as a DVR.

What I'm planning to do is if the CIC accepts the cam feed without emulator, im thinking of building my own video switcher using canbus. Sort of OEM camera integration including the front cam.

Last edited by VickyK; 08-22-2024 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0