BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

12-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #133
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgriss View Post
Do most agree that the sound is from the rear? Also agree that it is from the passenger side?

I’ve dealt with the sound for over a year now, and with colder temperatures arriving, it seems to be more noticeable again.
Yes most would agree the sound is somewhere at the rear of the car.

Have you gone to your dealer? I feel like without more people having it officially reported that it’s not going to get much traction with BMW NA
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 09:37 AM   #134
kkgriss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post

Have you gone to your dealer? I feel like without more people having it officially reported that it’s not going to get much traction with BMW NA
I did just a few weeks after delivery in December 2021. The dealer thought it was the right rear shock and replaced it in January 2022. The sound improved for a short time but progressively got worse- I suspect because the “new” shock has the same flaw as the one it replaced.

Has anyone that has swapped the factory shocks/struts with coilovers still having the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:30 AM   #135
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i Jeep KTM1290 Husq701

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgriss View Post
Do most agree that the sound is from the rear? Also agree that it is from the passenger side?

I’ve dealt with the sound for over a year now, and with colder temperatures arriving, it seems to be more noticeable again.
To my ears, it def appears to be coming from right rear (pass) side. And yes--seems more noticeable with colder weather.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:34 AM   #136
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Agreed---i think the problem with going to the dealer is twofold: 1) none of us seems to think the issue is "major"; that is, doesn't sound like the noise is the rear diff going bye-bye or other major issue or it's going to damage the car and, 2) we know there isn't a solution to date and don't want to have the car parked for 1-2 weeks (yes, a catch-22). I'm about to tee up what I expect will be a frustrating service appt.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 01:56 AM   #137
dszpiro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240iX

Garage List
2022 BMW 330iX  [0.00]
2022 BMW M240iX  [0.00]
Quote:
I went for my one-year service appointment earlier this month. I reported this thump but, as you might guess, the dealer said they didn't hear it. Well, I did report it so maybe if we all do it'll reach someone's attention?

BMW #9: 2022 M240ix (Dec 2021)
BMW #8: 2022 330iX (Dec 2021)
Past: 320iX, M550iX, M235iX, 335iX, two Z4, 540i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 01:52 PM   #138
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Colder weather makes it more apparent

Now that temps are regularly around freezing in MA, I'm hearing it more readily - even in Comfort mode. Could always hear it in Sport mode which is what I'm usually driving in, but during warmup in Comfort mode I'm hearing it more then too.

Now thats its louder, it sounds more like a wire bundle that is not tied down and is gently tapping against the backside of an interior panel every time I go over any bumps. It's NOT metallic or plastic sounding though. The BMW guys were all over the rear suspension in my car and replaced both dampers and mounts so I'm going to assume it's NOT in the suspension.

My next step is to have my son drive my ass around in the back seat and see what I can find. It's definitely coming from the rear of the car but too hard to pin it down from the drivers seat while trying to make sure it's happening.

Super annoying as everything else about the car is buttoned down nicely.
Appreciate 2
TJZ67201844.50
      12-23-2022, 11:56 PM   #139
RammBimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i g42

Strange how the noise is reported differently among different members. The noise I hear is what has been shared before as a loose ball in a wooden box.. and i agree it doesnt sound like a suspension issue. The fix is taking long.. I don't have a problem keeping the car at the dealership for weeks if it solves the issue but I don't think they have a clue on what needs to be done so it's a waste of time..
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      12-24-2022, 08:18 AM   #140
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RammBimmer View Post
The noise I hear is what has been shared before as a loose ball in a wooden box.. and i agree it doesnt sound like a suspension issue. The fix is taking long.. I don't have a problem keeping the car at the dealership for weeks if it solves the issue but I don't think they have a clue on what needs to be done so it's a waste of time..
Yes. That description is pretty accurate. In the NE area there are 4 confirmed vehicles with the issue including mine and a tech at the dealership I went to that also owns a M240i. But based on the number of people reporting it here and on FB, it seems like its fairly common. People that live in warmer climes might not hear it as readily as it does seem to get worse as temps drop.

I don't think BMW has figured it out yet. I'm supposed to be notified when they do. I *assume* there is a pretty daunting formal process that they must go through to get a service bulletin issued. I have to assume if the right people at BMW get in a car with the issue, they will figure it out and fix it. They used "chassis ears" on my car so they should have a recording of it. Guessing its a simple production step or engineering design revision and retrofit solution for cars already built.

Patiently waiting for them to figure it out, but it is super-annoying to keep driving around in a brand new car with an obvious (to me) flaw.
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      12-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #141
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

UPDATE.

I was able to get some significant rear seat time with my wife driving and the noise is NOT in the interior. I didn't think it was initially, but it got louder recently (consistently colder weather here in MA) so I was starting to second guess where it was coming from. It is clearly coming from something in the suspension area or underneath the rear of the car. It is NOT the trunk lid, the trunk floor board, the rear package shelf, the speakers, the baby-seat latch attachment points, the headliner or the seats.

After I got home, I decided to call the BMW service center and speak with the service manager. Left him message and he called back later that same day. He was aware that my car was in for a few weeks and had some suspension parts replaced but he had to talk to the head technician that worked on my car to find out where things stood specifically. He called back again today and the good news is that BMW Germany is aware of the issue and is working on it. The best guess is that something in the Electronic Damping Control software is not right and will require some reprogramming at BMW and a software update for the vehicle to make it go away. Makes sense since the issue didn't change on my car from the original dampers to the replacement dampers and they were all over the back end of my car to make sure everything was buttoned up tightly. He couldn't make any guarantees that this is the cause and how long the fix would take, but other service bulletins have taken 6 weeks to 6 months to get resolved. Apparently BMW is not overly communicative and they just send the dealers the notices when they are ready.

So the wait continues, but at least the right people at BMW know about it and are working on it. I assume this issue affects all the M240i's and 230i's out there unless there are different suspension software modules for some reason? I do have the ZTK package if they did anything unique for that? In any event, when I learn more I will let everyone know. Until then, I will be cranking up the stereo and trying to ignore it the best I can. Far from ideal, but I love this car and hope to keep it a long time.

Last edited by hooked; 12-29-2022 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 14
Caerus534.50
TJZ67201844.50
harcos77.00
jmelaw32.00
Rdurty2697.50
Roadwar128.50
apez678.50
kel44576.00
Zero731.00
Jashue202.50
      12-29-2022, 09:46 AM   #142
dszpiro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240iX

Garage List
2022 BMW 330iX  [0.00]
2022 BMW M240iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
UPDATE.
Thanks very much indeed for this thorough update! I am encouraged to read that BMW is aware of this issue.

Happy new year!

BMW #9: 2022 M240ix (Dec 2021)
BMW #8: 2022 330iX (Dec 2021)
Past: 320iX, M550iX, M235iX, 335iX, two Z4, 540i
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      12-29-2022, 10:52 AM   #143
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Festivus came a little later this year-but yay!

Quote:
UPDATE.

I was able to get some significant rear seat time with my wife driving and the noise is NOT in the interior. I didn't think it was initially, but it got louder recently (consistently colder weather here in MA) so I was starting to second guess where it was coming from. It is clearly coming from something in the suspension area or underneath the rear of the car. It is NOT the trunk lid, the trunk floor board, the rear package shelf, the speakers, the baby-seat latch attachment points, the headliner or the seats. [[YEP--DID THE SAME--RIGHT ON]

.........He called back again today and the good news is that BMW Germany is aware of the issue and is working on it. The best guess is that something in the Electronic Damping Control software is not right and will require some reprogramming at BMW and a software update for the vehicle to make it go away. Makes sense since the issue didn't change on my car from the original dampers to the replacement dampers and they were all over the back end of my car to make sure everything was buttoned up tightly. He couldn't make any guarantees that this is the cause and how long the fix would take, but other service bulletins have taken 6 weeks to 6 months to get resolved.
HAPPY FESTIVUS! THANK YOU--BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD IN A LONG TIME. COLD WEATHER DRIVING/NOISE HAS BEEN DRIVING ME NUTS!

IN FACT, WAS JUST LOOKING ON AUTOTRADER TO SEE WHAT I'D GET FOR MY (OTHERWISE DAMN GOOD) 4500mi M240! MAYBE I'LL HOLD OFF FOR A BIT.......
Appreciate 1
tatarwj390.00
      12-30-2022, 07:03 AM   #144
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M240i, F87 M2, E36

Quote:
UPDATE.

I was able to get some significant rear seat time with my wife driving and the noise is NOT in the interior. I didn't think it was initially, but it got louder recently (consistently colder weather here in MA) so I was starting to second guess where it was coming from. It is clearly coming from something in the suspension area or underneath the rear of the car. It is NOT the trunk lid, the trunk floor board, the rear package shelf, the speakers, the baby-seat latch attachment points, the headliner or the seats.

After I got home, I decided to call the BMW service center and speak with the service manager. Left him message and he called back later that same day. He was aware that my car was in for a few weeks and had some suspension parts replaced but he had to talk to the head technician that worked on my car to find out where things stood specifically. He called back again today and the good news is that BMW Germany is aware of the issue and is working on it. The best guess is that something in the Electronic Damping Control software is not right and will require some reprogramming at BMW and a software update for the vehicle to make it go away. Makes sense since the issue didn't change on my car from the original dampers to the replacement dampers and they were all over the back end of my car to make sure everything was buttoned up tightly. He couldn't make any guarantees that this is the cause and how long the fix would take, but other service bulletins have taken 6 weeks to 6 months to get resolved. Apparently BMW is not overly communicative and they just send the dealers the notices when they are ready.

So the wait continues, but at least the right people at BMW know about it and are working on it. I assume this issue affects all the M240i's and 230i's out there unless there are different suspension software modules for some reason? I do have the ZTK package if they did anything unique for that? In any event, when I learn more I will let everyone know. Until then, I will be cranking up the stereo and trying to ignore it the best I can. Far from ideal, but I love this car and hope to keep it a long time.
Thats mega info. Thank you!

Currently Driving: '23 G87 M2, '22 BMW M240i xDrive, '18 F87 M2, '98 E36 318is

@AUTOID | WWW.AUTOID.CO | SALES@AUTOID.CO
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 10:54 AM   #145
Invisiblename
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
I assume this issue affects all the M240i's and 230i's out there unless there are different suspension software modules for some reason?. [...]

My M240i has done 1100 miles and there is no noise coming from anywhere it shouldn’t
      12-31-2022, 07:48 AM   #146
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisiblename View Post
My M240i has done 1100 miles and there is no noise coming from anywhere it shouldn’t
Yes. Until we know the exact cause as determined by BMW we won't know which VINs are affected. If it is the EDC software (as the service team that worked on my car including the BMW field engineer indicated as a "best guess") then, in theory, every car with that version EDC software is affected. I have no idea if they have different EDC software modules for the different wheel/tire packs or countries. Maybe someone with an advanced OBD sensor can poke around and see? No idea, not my bag but would be curious to know. Mine has the ZTK package which in the US has the wider wheels and tires that *could* account for a difference in EDC software? Again, no idea, just speculation. In the UK I think the high performance tire/wheel and cooling package is marketed under a different package name. The 893M wheels seem to be the common identifier of the package.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you may not be able to hear it. It seems to be louder in colder weather and others who have ridden in my car while I'm clearly hearing it, can't hear it. The first time the BMW dealer drove it, they couldn't hear it either. I had to drive the car with the head technician and point it out to him specifically. Then once he heard it, he said that it sounded "like something in the suspension." Once your brain is tuned into it, it's hard to "unhear." A softball rolling around in a wooden box is the best description I've heard to compare it to. It would be an easy sound to dismiss as normal or something moving around in the trunk/boot or similar. My first car as a teenager was 1987 VW GTI and the rear hatch area cover made a similar sound as the part was not bolted to the car and would bounce up and down over bumps and make a similar sound.

Hopefully your car is NOT affected and we will find out sooner rather than later what is going on. Between the owners here and several similar posts on G42 Facebook pages, there seems to be many of us that are affected unfortunately.

Last edited by hooked; 12-31-2022 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 2
Caerus534.50
jmelaw32.00
      12-31-2022, 09:10 AM   #147
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Non-ztk here with the noise. So it’s definitely not just ZTK models.

For awhile I though I lucked out but it started around the 1k mark for me.
Appreciate 2
hooked191.00
jmelaw32.00
      01-01-2023, 06:18 PM   #148
G42M240
Private First Class
Rep

Add me to the list of vehicles experiencing this same issue. Wish I would have noticed this thread sooner haha. I tried almost everything everyone else has.

Quick backstory: I've had this noise since new. I held off on bringing it to the dealer because I figured I'd get the runaround.

I took it in for its first oil change and to have this checked out (I currently have 5k miles on it), yes, I know I did the oil change early but I wanted to get the noise checked out anyway. Dealer claimed to not be able to replicate it. Shocker.

I took out the trunk floor tray and placed rags under it in various places, still have it.

I thought it may have been the carpet on the passenger side as when I lightly taped it, it sounded like the noise. I pulled a couple clips and stuffed a rag in there to see if it quieted it down, no luck.

I'm honestly considering pulling the carpet and putting sound deadening all over the inside of the trunk to see if that helps. It may quiet it down enough for me not to hear it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 04:28 AM   #149
RammBimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i g42

So, I installed a AC Schnitzer exhaust yesterday and it sounds amazing! I had a little hope that the noise could be coming from the exhaust But apparently not! The noise is still there! Just thought this might help those who suspected the same..
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201844.50
      01-02-2023, 08:02 AM   #150
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RammBimmer View Post
So, I installed a AC Schnitzer exhaust yesterday and it sounds amazing! I had a little hope that the noise could be coming from the exhaust But apparently not! The noise is still there! Just thought this might help those who suspected the same..
Unfortunately it *may* be in the programming of the rear dampers. Hoping it's a simple software coding error that they missed. They have EDCs on a lot of their vehicles now so they must have several people that work on that software specifically at BMW and/or the vendor.

A little concerned that the BMW QC team didn't catch it before production release though. Hard to believe their test drivers wouldn't have heard it if they were logging significant miles in the pre-production vehicles.

Last edited by hooked; 01-02-2023 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 12:58 PM   #151
Jabmwo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22 230 Manual

Hey guys, here's another M240 with that damn rattle. Exactly as you have been describing. I have not notice a change of intensity based on cold weather even these very cold past days. I do not have the ZK package, just staggered summer performance tires and wheels from factory. Car was built in Sep 2023, rattle since new, 2500 miles tdy.
I'm at the stage that the dealer is aware of the problem, ordered new struts and stuff but they haven't received them yet.
Such a pity, the car is so nice and fun to drive...
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      01-03-2023, 01:33 PM   #152
jlajoice
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i X Drive

Same problem here. Took to the dealer, but "could not replicate" as well. Hoping BMW can figure it out soon!
Appreciate 1
G42M240135.50
      01-04-2023, 03:53 PM   #153
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Last night I picked up my car that was just built. I was listening, and it took a while before I covered a section of road that made it audible, but I heard it. It seems particular to the type of bump, but I definitely hear it! Its rare I’m not playing music, so I think I’ll be able to live with it while the rest of you lose your mind finding the problem for the rest of us
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 04:26 PM   #154
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTDG42 View Post
Last night I picked up my car that was just built. I was listening, and it took a while before I covered a section of road that made it audible, but I heard it. It seems particular to the type of bump, but I definitely hear it! Its rare I’m not playing music, so I think I’ll be able to live with it while the rest of you lose your mind finding the problem for the rest of us
Same! My build date was in Oct. Accepted delivery mid Nov. Currently have 900 miles.

I do hear the thump, but it’s very minor and only in certain conditions. It’s not loud enough or frequent enough for me to want to take it in. Especially considering BMW NA is already aware of it thanks to the ppl in this thread
Appreciate 2
PNTDG42470.50
hooked191.00