E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > xHP Flashtool - Flash your automatic trans! Official thread

Closed Thread

03-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #1937
Toome
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_E92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toome View Post
The only way you'll hit the limiter is if you do not upshift either intentionally or if you forget you're in manual mode. A mechanical over rev is impossible, so you'll never go above the 7k redline in any situation.
unless your WOT and hooked up in a low gear, in which case the inertia of your car could cause an overrev if you slammed into the rev limiter.

IE:

Car in 1st, sticky tires, takes off WOT all the way till redline, no upshift input, auto upshift disabled, Inertia of the car accelerating, causes an overrev.
That makes sense. I've never experienced this though, probably because I've always made sure to upshift when regaining traction.
      03-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #1938
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The only way you'll hit the limiter is if you do not upshift either intentionally or if you forget you're in manual mode. A mechanical over rev is impossible, so you'll never go above the 7k redline in any situation.
unless your WOT and hooked up in a low gear, in which case the inertia of your car could cause an overrev if you slammed into the rev limiter.

IE:

Car in 1st, sticky tires, takes off WOT all the way till redline, no upshift input, auto upshift disabled, Inertia of the car accelerating, causes an overrev.
That makes sense. I've never experienced this though, probably because I've always made sure to upshift when regaining traction.
that's good haha, lost a chargepipe before, let my friend drive my car, had auto upshifts disabled, and the power surprised him and he didn't shift.

wasn't pretty but it's fixed now
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #1939
Toome
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

IE:

that's good haha, lost a chargepipe before, let my friend drive my car, had auto upshifts disabled, and the power surprised him and he didn't shift.

Wow was that with the stock charge pipe?
      03-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #1940
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

IE:

Wow was that with the stock charge pipe?
yep, got metal one on there now from VRSF. no complaints
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #1941
lowerednlifted
bubblehead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT-Tuning View Post
Just drive hundred meters after flashing MHD and all returns back to normal. The reason is simple: The ECU auto-learns if it sits in an AT or MT car. When flashing it, it dumps that information and starts the re-learn again. Until it recognizes theres an auto-trans in the car, it does not send out the messages on CAN Bus, the transmission needs to work. Therefore the trans does not work at all. No way around that, besides finding a way to preserve that information and restoring it after flash. MHD Tuning
Right on, thanks for the response. The few times that this has happened, the trans goes through a hard shift phase (clunking when switching the selector) and limp mode when actually driving. I'll give it a shot next time just driving it out since 100m isn't long at all. But I had this happen on the highway once and it didn't clear up between exits. Continuing to drive didn't seem like a smart option then. I'll post back if I continue to have issues like that.

Also fwiw, I fixed the loss of DS mode. It was in fact severed wires. Crazy coincidence.
      03-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #1942
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerednlifted View Post
Yeah, I looked it up. Should be an easy fix. I guess it's just crazy coincidence that there's a physical failure at the same time that I'm doing module programming, haha. Sh!tty.

I went ahead and just bought the super license. I went this route so that I can get all the updates for free and what not. However, I went straight to Stg3 and haven't looked back. I saw some posts on here about people preferring to run Stg2, but me personally I wanted that super quick shifting with the paddles. When the wife and baby are in the car, I just switch it to D and all is good.
Sometimes coincidence is a bitch. Just don't marry one.
I know, I know. Sometime we need some levity.

Anyway, I just went ahead and bought the SuperLicense.
Peace of mind so I can just flash until I find one I like.
I did the backup before buying the license.
So it's now tied to the car and I'll save my backup to my PC and Google Drive.
I'll flash tomorrow.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 04:46 AM   #1943
JMM
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

My thoughts till now??

I think stage 1 and 2 are actually not needed....sry xHP.
Why? Well, for the comfort minded people, [D] is so sweet in gear changing and responsiveness that i can't imagine what other improvement would make it better.

According to [S] and [M], that is for the sporty guys/ girls and absolutely nothing to do with comfy riding.. and thus no relevance in whatever if it comes to judging comfort in stage 3 under [S] or [M].

For me, sober thinking, it's obvious that stage 3 is the way to go, comfy for the [D] drivers and abvious,...less?... comfy in [S, M] for the sporty drivers....

EX: e92 335d: 350hp@4400rpm and 698NM/521 ft lb@2760 rpm.

Last edited by JMM; 03-07-2018 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
Arthuar14.00
      03-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #1944
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM View Post
My thoughts till now??

I think stage 1 and 2 are actually not needed....sry xHP.
Why? Well, for the comfort minded people, [D] is so sweet in gear changing and responsiveness that i can't imagine what other improvement would make it better.

According to [S] and [M], that is for the sporty guys/ girls and absolutely nothing to do with comfy riding.. and thus no relevance in whatever if it comes to judging comfort in stage 3 under [S] or [M].

For me, sober thinking, it's obvious that stage 3 is the way to go, comfy for the [D] drivers and abvious,...less?... comfy in [S, M] for the sporty drivers....
I'm flashing now.
Or should I say, my phone is flashing the car.
I'm on the couch. I'm going directly to stage 3.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #1945
Msport335
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i m-sport e90

Quote:
We released our Customization Module today!

Starting with App-Version 1.3.2, xHP is able to inject user-defined settings into the OTS files! The first release of the Customization Module enables users to choose their maximum Shift-RPM and flash it right away. Shift-RPM can be setup different for each Gear, for each mode (D/S/M) and for Kickdown pressed/depressed!

This is just the beginning. The Customization section will get more features added over time, like Kickdown enable/disable, Throttle blip enable/disable, change the Gear Display per Mode etc. Subsequent features will get added free of charge for exisiting buyers.

Due to the many different models and engine/gearbox combinations the Custom features have to be implemented in different ways and are not accessible for every car from the beginning.

The current release covers:
  • 135i/335i N54/N55
  • 325d/330d N57
  • 335d M57 (from 2007 and up)
  • 120d/320d 177HP
  • 123d 204 HP
  • 325i/330i N53

So in essence we can use the kickdown switch as a 2 step almost for doing burnouts at the track on a 6AT with a lower rev limiter . Then when taking it down the strip do not hit the kickdown switch and have those rev limits higher especially if running stage 2 or 3 turbos which hold power all the way to 7k. Make sense ?

Btw- I have never heard the rev limiter on an n54
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #1946
86merc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi sedan

It is not a rev limiter. It allows the shift rpm to be set differently for the kickdown switch active or not active.

It sounds like you just want to keep the rpm lower in the burn out box. I would think having the part throttle set up for lower shift points in the burn out box would work better. Then have full throttle for the higher shift points for going down the track.

I would also think, but have not tested this theory, that using M mode would work better for doing the burnouts. More control with the paddles/shifter versus D/S mode. Where D/S mode might shift, with a lower shift point, to a higher gear and potentially end up bogging in the burn out box.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #1947
Msport335
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86merc View Post
It is not a rev limiter. It allows the shift rpm to be set differently for the kickdown switch active or not active.

It sounds like you just want to keep the rpm lower in the burn out box. I would think having the part throttle set up for lower shift points in the burn out box would work better. Then have full throttle for the higher shift points for going down the track.

I would also think, but have not tested this theory, that using M mode would work better for doing the burnouts. More control with the paddles/shifter versus D/S mode. Where D/S mode might shift, with a lower shift point, to a higher gear and potentially end up bogging in the burn out box.
I only ever went down the track in M mode and always had a tough time modulating the throttle during a burnout with drag radials....the kickdown rev limit customization should help out....im thinking I can just pin the kickdown at a 5000rpm or so rev limit maybe in 1st and 2nd to warm up the tires without having to feather the throttle
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #1948
86merc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi sedan

I believe that S mode is best for going down the track. No doubt. Especially now that you can dial each gear's own shift points.

The problem with D/S mode in the burn out box is that this XHP option is not a enginenrev limiter. So let's say you have it set up to shift at 5,000 rpm with the kick down. When you mash the gas in the burnout box once it reaches 5,000 rpm in 1st it will shift to 2nd. When it hits 5,000 rpm in 2nd gear it will shift to 3rd gear. And the same in 3rd and 4th. You will have little to no control of the trans or engine rpm. Because if you have it set up for the kick down switch, if you needed to let off the ga pedal some, due to too much rpm, the trans will immediately shift. So engine power is falling due to letting off the gas and now your engine rpm is falling because it shifted to the next gear. That could lead to bogging or dead hooking. Which can break parts.

I have been drag racing for over 25 years. Manual trans and automatics. I really believe manual mode, gas pedal modulation, and practice are going to be best for you. Otherwise, if you want to leave it in S in the burn out box, you really need a true 2 step to limit engine rpm. I'm not sure that is easy to do on this platform.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #1949
Msport335
Captain
Canada
Rep

Are the stage 3 xhp shifts any quicker in S mode than in M ?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #1950
JMM
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

Nha, don't tink so, it's the same but the feeling is different when taking control by yourself..

It's now almost as fast as the DCT in manual mode....

EX: e92 335d: 350hp@4400rpm and 698NM/521 ft lb@2760 rpm.

Last edited by JMM; 03-07-2018 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #1951
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Okay so I think the adaptation is done.
I should have saved my money on only bought the Stage 3 flash.
I don't find anything harsh about any of the shifting.

I find the manual mode very precise and very much like I shifted my manual.
The Stage 3 flash makes the car feel like the engine is finally connected to the rest of the drivetrain.

Thanks xHP!!!!!
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #1952
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep
Drives: A lot of BMWs...

Quote:
I believe that S mode is best for going down the track. No doubt. Especially now that you can dial each gear's own shift points.

The problem with D/S mode in the burn out box is that this XHP option is not a enginenrev limiter. ......
You could use the RPM points to set the box to not shifting without kickdown and shifting with kickdown active. (or vice versa) This way it would spin in 1st, but not upshift. Works only on Stage 3 cals though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msport335 View Post
M is a tad quicker/firmer on the 335i Stage 3 cal, compared to S.
Appreciate 1
86merc48.00
      03-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #1953
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
I went with stage 2 after reading the description of each map and I find stage 2 suits my needs very well.
However over time D mode got dull and less responsive to my pedal input.
AFAIK it's to help with fuel economy and low speed driving but I don't like it at all.
I wish there's a way to disable the learning in the first place so I don't have to reset TB adaptation every time the shifting starts feeling dull.

Last edited by Supermoon; 03-08-2018 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #1954
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

Quote:
Quote:

The problem with D/S mode in the burn out box is that this XHP option is not a enginenrev limiter. ......
You could use the RPM points to set the box to not shifting without kickdown and shifting with kickdown active. (or vice versa) This way it would spin in 1st, but not upshift. Works only on Stage 3 cals though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msport335 View Post
M is a tad quicker/firmer on the 335i Stage 3 cal, compared to S.
is stg 3 cal. 1.8 a new version? wonder what the updates are..

sorry n m i see its in the app map notes
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 03:28 AM   #1955
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep
Drives: A lot of BMWs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
I went with stage 2 after reading the description of each map and I find stage 2 suits my needs very well.
However over time D mode got dull and less responsive to my pedal input.
AFAIK it's to help with fuel economy and low speed driving but I don't like it at all.
I wish there's a way to disable the learning in the first place so I don't have to reset TB adaptation every time the shifting starts feeling dull.
You got tricked by your perception. There is no learning algorithm for such things.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #1956
StormtrooperN55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I

Stage Choice

So im planning n flashing XHP today on my 2011 335i (N55)
My care is currently stock besides an AFE drop in filter and MHD stage 1. What would the best stage for TCU be for me? I was thinking stage 2 but idk.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #1957
cjdzombie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive, M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by asus_38 View Post
So im planning n flashing XHP today on my 2011 335i (N55)
My care is currently stock besides an AFE drop in filter and MHD stage 1. What would the best stage for TCU be for me? I was thinking stage 2 but idk.
Everyone has their own preference, but most people go straight to Stage 3. I've seen a lot of people that end up upgrading to 3, because they decided stage 2 wasn't sporty enough. I figured I'd be the same way, so I just jumped straight to 3.
      03-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #1958
StormtrooperN55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzombie View Post
Everyone has their own preference, but most people go straight to Stage 3. I've seen a lot of people that end up upgrading to 3, because they decided stage 2 wasn't sporty enough. I figured I'd be the same way, so I just jumped straight to 3.
I was thinking the same way. But I was worried about stage 3 potentially degrading the life of the tranny. Is stage 3 safe if i just daily drive the care and occasional do spirited driving?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread