Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionControlDelete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
It's just we shouldn't have to say "I'll reserve my judgements for when I see it in person" for every new BMW release.
I wasn't on this forum when the F8X M3/M4 came out but was the response as polarizing then as it is now for the G87? This question is for anyone who might've been around to recall how things played out
No, but the prior cars weren't without their fair share of uproar though……..especially the 1M and M2C/S. The F8X wasn't all love initially, but the G8X and the new M2 are up there with the 1M in terms of criticism.
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2022, 10:22 PM   #90
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
No, but the prior cars weren't without their fair share of uproar though……..especially the 1M and M2C/S. The F8X wasn't all love initially, but the G8X and the new M2 are up there with the 1M in terms of criticism.
We bitched about the turbocharged engine but praised the weight loss and extensive use of carbon fiber materials. G8x has little of that, feels very much like decontenting with all the weight increase and with the M-DCT gone. That being said, M2 6MT is probably going to be the most reliable track platform in this category. We'll see.
      10-13-2022, 10:44 PM   #91
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
TR looks nice but not a colour I could live with.. just too loud. For me it would be a toss up between BSM or BG with cognac interior and bi-colour wheels
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
alphawawa190.00
ggunn9160.00
      10-13-2022, 11:04 PM   #92
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I wasn't on this forum when the F8X M3/M4 came out but was the response as polarizing then as it is now for the G87? This question is for anyone who might've been around to recall how things played out
No, I remember my friend group sharing spy shots and leaked photos across Facebook and group texts prior to the F8x release absolutely dying with excitement over the beautiful proportions especially when we started to see the huge rear fenders on the F80 M3. There was some negativity surrounding the turbo six engine replacing the V8, some disappointment around BMW's fake news 3,300lb claim turning out to be a total lie, etc. but most of us saw F8x as a worthy successor and a step forward over prior M3s. I've been on various BMW forums since the late E36 days and the G series is the generation of BMWs that the most people online and in real life seem to find ugly based on conversation topics that keep coming up. Much worse than I remember the reception to the worst of the Bangle era.
Appreciate 3
      10-13-2022, 11:31 PM   #93
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
No, I remember my friend group sharing spy shots and leaked photos across Facebook and group texts prior to the F8x release absolutely dying with excitement over the beautiful proportions especially when we started to see the huge rear fenders on the F80 M3. There was some negativity surrounding the turbo six engine replacing the V8, some disappointment around BMW's fake news 3,300lb claim turning out to be a total lie, etc. but most of us saw F8x as a worthy successor and a step forward over prior M3s. I've been on various BMW forums since the late E36 days and the G series is the generation of BMWs that the most people online and in real life seem to find ugly based on conversation topics that keep coming up. Much worse than I remember the reception to the worst of the Bangle era.
F80/82 was called out for ugly sound after the masterpiece S65 V8. That was by far the biggest controversy around the F8x at the time. Looks-wise, the hood shut line was the issue. Otherwise, it was well-received once real pics of the Austin Yellow concept at Monterey/Pebble Beach came out.
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2022, 11:33 PM   #94
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
This is enlightening. Thank you all for the responses - it really helps to contextualize the G87 response. It's obviously hard to make everyone happy but a worse reception than the worst of bangle era cars speaks volumes.

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 12:47 AM   #95
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
I only now just noticed that the fuel flap isn't the weirdo round one that was on the F87 (not the F2x that had a fuel flap similar to this G87.)

The round fuel flap always looked off to me on the F87.

I am sorry.
The old one looks like an upgrade of the new one.

It’s the rear end.
That makes no sense at all.
Maybe a body kit or something can fix it. It just isn’t right.
Appreciate 5
Hulk Smash1027.50
The_Werm212.00
Mavus2029.50
ggunn9160.00
      10-14-2022, 01:21 AM   #96
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
I only now just noticed that the fuel flap isn't the weirdo round one that was on the F87 (not the F2x that had a fuel flap similar to this G87.)

The round fuel flap always looked off to me on the F87.

I am sorry.

It’s the rear end.
Old one looks like a base spec car in comparison
Appreciate 5
02M3ForMe4261.50
Sethhboii1315.50
JTO245274.50
JustinHEMI7445.00
T3CH46.50
      10-14-2022, 01:34 AM   #97
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Those black vertical pieces with the reflector are hideous. Please for the love of god just make it a vent and use stick-on reflectors elsewhere like E92 so we can just remove them easily. It's obvious that the "sketched" intent is to be a vent. The problem is now it houses the PDC so you can't even find an aftermarket solution to this without possibly losing rear PDC.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 01:53 AM   #98
Hulk Smash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
I am sorry.

It’s the rear end.
Yes, it looks like the car had multiple design teams each with their own vision for the car. Instead of sticking to a central theme for the overal shape of the car, the exterior is incorporating every shape possible which leads to somewhat of a mess. The fender flares out like the F87, but instead of carrying the smooth curve into the rear of the car, it abruptly transitions to hard/jagged angles. It's like a F87 with a Fast and Furious style bodykit from 2001. I believe that's why the F87's exterior somewhat looks like it's the newer design, because it all flows together.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 02:02 AM   #99
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CS View Post
Quote:
I am sorry.

It's the rear end.
Maybe a body kit or something can fix it. It just isn't right.
Yes, it looks like the car had multiple design teams each with their own vision for the car. Instead of sticking to a central theme for the overal shape of the car, the exterior is incorporating every shape possible which leads to somewhat of a mess. The fender flares out like the F87, but instead of carrying the smooth curve into the rear of the car, it abruptly transitions to hard/jagged angles. It's like a F87 with a Fast and Furious style bodykit from 2001. I believe that's why the F87's exterior somewhat looks like it's the newer design, because it all flows together.
Hmmm! I remember when people hated the F87's fanged front bumper, ridiculed the design of the rear bumper and lost their minds over…..gasp!!!!……connected front grilles. It was so un-BMW. How dare they connect those grilles!!!!!!! It's absolutely fascinating how it now "all flows together" and is a "perfectly cohesive design". Enthusiasts on forums are a feminine fickle bunch!
Appreciate 5
      10-14-2022, 02:03 AM   #100
azuki
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i

old m2 looks cheap compared to new m2. that being said, new m2 just looks controversial which i suppose is bmw's trending theme
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 02:17 AM   #101
Bender82
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 330i G21 (2020)

Garage List
I can't believe how fast this design grew on me. I really want one now. Can't wait to see it in Brooklyn grey.
Appreciate 1
sk8funk174.50
      10-14-2022, 02:51 AM   #102
sk8funk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mt* View Post
yes the space was limited and the GoPro has a little Fisheye effect.

I have some pictures (Iphone 12, with different lences made. The pictures with wide angle may have also a little fisheye effect.)
Really awesome pictures, i can see much better the lines and it does look rather muscly and i think i changed my mind for the 4th time and the red is actually the colour to go for (for me)
Appreciate 1
*mt*1697.50
      10-14-2022, 02:55 AM   #103
Hulk Smash
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm! I remember when people hated the F87's fanged front bumper, ridiculed the design of the rear bumper and lost their minds over…..gasp!!!!……connected front grilles. It was so un-BMW. How dare they connect those grilles!!!!!!! It's absolutely fascinating how it now "all flows together" and is a "perfectly cohesive design". Enthusiasts on forums are a feminine fickle bunch!
I think you're remembering a very small minority of people. Even searching youtube for reviews of the F87 on launch, it's rare to find dislike for the frontend or even the connected front grills.

In fact, here is the official BMW launch video for the M2.

Check the comments to see how many people "lost their minds" over the fangs.

Official M2 Competition launch video

Are the majority comments from people that lost their minds over connected front grills?

Of course, looks are subjective and what looks weird to me someone else can absolutely love. However, the F87's fangs and even the connected grill don't break the overall cohesion of the car's design. The G87 I suppose is trying to incorpate older design cues in a more modern way. Time will tell how well the styling is received, but it will be the best driving vehicle in its class

Last edited by Hulk Smash; 10-14-2022 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
ESB1029.50
      10-14-2022, 03:19 AM   #104
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think you're remembering a very small minority of people. Even searching youtube for reviews of the F87 on launch, it's rare to find dislike for the frontend or even the connected front grills.

In fact, here is the official BMW launch video for the M2.

Check the comments to see if you can find a decent percentage of people that "lost their minds" over the fangs.

Official M2 Competition launch video

Are all the comments from people that lost their minds over connected front grills?

Of course, looks are subjective and what looks weird to me someone else can absolutely love. However, the F87's fangs and even the connected grill don't break the overall cohesion of the car's design. The G87 I suppose is trying to incorpate older design cues in a more modern way. Time will tell how well it's received.
The forums ARE the minority of people, and I'm referring to what was said on the forums…….THIS ONE specifically. I've been around a long time and I have a long memory. I remember every criticism lobbed against every BMW ///M since the E36 was the creme lá crop, and anybody who was active at the time can recall the criticisms [once they've been reminded] if they are being honest with themselves (…even if they, themselves, weren't doing the criticizing).
Appreciate 2
JTO245274.50
      10-14-2022, 03:32 AM   #105
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
You know it's all relative to what your accustomed to…people are bitching about the new M2 looks but if you want a quick reality check go take a look at the new X7 on the front page. Now that monstrosity is seriously hideous with all the style of a dump truck yet those on the thread are praising it's looks ? Go figure…
      10-14-2022, 03:39 AM   #106
Hulk Smash
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The forums ARE the minority of people, and I'm referring to what was said on the forums…….THIS ONE specifically. I've been around a long time and I have a long memory. I remember every criticism lobbed against every BMW ///M since the E36 was the creme lá crop, and anybody who was active at the time can recall the criticisms [once they've been reminded] if they are being honest with themselves (…even if they, themselves, weren't doing the criticizing).
Fair enough, but if we (this forum) are the minority. Are the people in the youtube comments also part of the minority? Many of the same things said here are being said in the comments for the G87 launch video.

Appreciate 1
The_Werm212.00
      10-14-2022, 03:40 AM   #107
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
TR looks nice but not a colour I could live with.. just too loud. For me it would be a toss up between BSM or BG with cognac interior and bi-colour wheels
I've ordered a TR manual with the bicolour wheels but really the car deserves a better wheel choice than these two. Is there something from the BMW aftermarket catalogue that would fit?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 03:44 AM   #108
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Fair enough, but if we (this forum) are the minority. Are the people in the youtube comments also part of the minority? Many of the same things said here are being said in the comments for the G87 launch video.

I never said there aren't criticisms with respect to the G87. I did say that the car(s) now described as being the epitome of BMW design (…paraphrasing in some ways, explicitly stated in others) weren't free of criticism, especially the 1M and M2C/S. You'll see! Hang around long enough and your memory will become long as well. Remember this moment…….

….and let's see how this car is regarded in the next 5-10 years.

Appreciate 2
JTO245274.50
      10-14-2022, 04:07 AM   #109
azuki
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i

Quote:
I never said there aren't criticisms with respect to the G87. I did say that the car(s) now described as being the epitome of BMW design (…paraphrasing in some ways, explicitly stated in others) weren't free of criticism, especially the 1M and M2C/S. You'll see! Hang around long enough and your memory will become long as well. Remember this moment…….

this is not new. it's the same old cycle for many years (as with any product).
current owners defend their purchase religiously.
research/marketing team works to what appeals to new generation and release new design.
controversy ensues. rinse and repeat.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25077.50
JTO245274.50
      10-14-2022, 04:08 AM   #110
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuki View Post
Quote:

this is not new. it's the same old cycle for many years (as with any product).
current owners defend their purchase religiously.
research/marketing team works to what appeals to new generation and release new design.
controversy ensues. rinse and repeat.
No argument here. You are exactly right!
Appreciate 0