Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i M-Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroghj1 View Post
Sold on this red. Was almost certain I was going to go with BG/carbon roof… but the body lines really pop on this red/black combo.

1st in line at a smaller dealer in Asheville NC, and 6th at my local dealer in Charlotte. No calls yet to actually place my order so fingers crossed it comes soon.

This conversation really summarizes my rationale for this M2 too… I had a 981 cayman before having a kid, and then an Alfa 4c for first few years after he was born. I tried to make the "2 car" enthusiast garage happen for the first 2 years (Alfa Romeo 4C was the weekend car and an X1 for kid/grocery hauling. 4C was far more special than any M or Porsche I've driven before, sad to see it go.)

Even as an enthusiast the "weekend 2 seater sports car" use case was way overrated, and I probably wouldn't do it again until after my son is old enough to ride in one. Only ever got to drive it alone, and no way to take son to car events or enjoy it with the family for short weekend trips to the mountains.

911 wouldn't work due to leg room for wife.. so this M2 is really the only exciting coupe with a usable back seat on the market
You hit the nail on the head - once you have kids a two seater isn't gonna work if you want to do things as a family or at least take the kids or one of their friends with you. I never had an issue owning a 2 door, even with baby seats, but a two seater doesn't give you any flexibility. Could've would've bought a GT3 for sure, but too much of an ownership compromise. YMMV of course but in most cases, you end up driving the car alone which can also be therapy…..

Porsche has lost me for now with the dealer games for allocations and ADM, and while I also like the G80 i am going to wait for a real life look and drive of the M2. Will wait until LCI for either, or another CS would be fine too
Porsche allocation snobbery is fucking ridiculous. Apparently it no longer matters if you have the means to buy a car, now you have to be worthy to own one too. I don't like that vibe, it's elitist and unnecessary. Porsche is a manufacturer of freaking cars like everyone else, they need buyers, but when things dry out again in the next decline, they'll sing a different tune. Whether I'm a rapper, an influencer, an architect or just a blue collar worker who sacrificed and saved up a lifetime to catch a dream, no car manufacturer should take me for less than another because I haven't paid to play or my optioned car isn't rich enough to pad the pockets of a greedy salesman; thereby wooing him to sell you said car. That does not sit well with me coming from humble stock and beginnings. Porsche is a car manufacturer, not a damn private club, but dealers and sales people alike act like they are, like they are doing us a favor by taking our hard earned money. Sad thing is potential owners so desperate for allocations just play along. Yes, it's nice to own a car not many do, but my money should be good anywhere wether I've bought ten Porsche or one. One thing is getting in line for your car and when your turn comes, you are granted the allocation based on first come first served basis, another is to be told you can't buy a car…period in the case of the more expensive vehicles..even if it's just sitting on the dealer floor ready to be purchased. Apparently at Porsche, money isn't the only thing that matters!

What fucking arrogance.

Sorry for the rant guys…one of those Mondays
JustinHEMI7441.00
TargaM22489.00
ESB1014.50
      10-17-2022, 12:23 PM   #178
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoy View Post
Porsche allocation snobbery is fucking ridiculous. Apparently it no longer matters if you have the means to buy a car, now you have to be worthy to own one too. I don't like that vibe, it's elitist and unnecessary. Porsche is a manufacturer of freaking cars like everyone else, they need buyers, but when things dry out again in the next decline, they'll sing a different tune. Whether I'm a rapper, an influencer, an architect or just a blue collar worker who sacrificed and saved up a lifetime to catch a dream, no car manufacturer should take me for less than another because I haven't paid to play or my optioned car isn't rich enough to pad the pockets of a greedy salesman; thereby wooing him to sell you said car. That does not sit well with me coming from humble stock and beginnings. Porsche is a car manufacturer, not a damn private club, but dealers and sales people alike act like they are, like they are doing us a favor by taking our hard earned money. Sad thing is potential owners so desperate for allocations just play along. Yes, it's nice to own a car not many do, but my money should be good anywhere wether I've bought ten Porsche or one. One thing is getting in line for your car and when your turn comes, you are granted the allocation based on first come first served basis, another is to be told you can't buy a car…period in the case of the more expensive vehicles..even if it's just sitting on the dealer floor ready to be purchased. Apparently at Porsche, money isn't the only thing that matters!

What fucking arrogance.

Now do Ferrari. :P

There's a reason Leno won't own Ferrari.
      10-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #179
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Quote:

What fucking arrogance.

Now do Ferrari. :P

There's a reason Leno won't own Ferrari.
Good for him. I guess Leno doesn't hang with the Grey Poupon crowd 😂

10-18-2022, 03:34 AM   #180
Andi-M2
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2 F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mt* View Post
Hi,

I took a look at the new M2 in the BMW Welt and created a short video with the GoPro.

I like the new M2. I think before someone make a final judgment based on videos or pictures, you should have seen it live.

https://youtu.be/wkp82iszbDM
Independent of the angle, this thing stays ugly as hell.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 10:26 AM   #181
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

I told myself I'll pass on the car and wait for LCI but the view of the fenders at 1:35 has me second guessing.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2022, 10:47 AM   #182
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
I told myself I'll pass on the car and wait for LCI but the view of the fenders at 1:35 has me second guessing.

Screenshot at 1:35
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
atl_1M1520.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      10-18-2022, 10:50 AM   #183
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sold on this red. Was almost certain I was going to go with BG/carbon roof… but the body lines really pop on this red/black combo.

1st in line at a smaller dealer in Asheville NC, and 6th at my local dealer in Charlotte. No calls yet to actually place my order so fingers crossed it comes soon.

This conversation really summarizes my rationale for this M2 too… I had a 981 cayman before having a kid, and then an Alfa 4c for first few years after he was born. I tried to make the "2 car" enthusiast garage happen for the first 2 years (Alfa Romeo 4C was the weekend car and an X1 for kid/grocery hauling. 4C was far more special than any M or Porsche I've driven before, sad to see it go.)

Even as an enthusiast the "weekend 2 seater sports car" use case was way overrated, and I probably wouldn't do it again until after my son is old enough to ride in one. Only ever got to drive it alone, and no way to take son to car events or enjoy it with the family for short weekend trips to the mountains.

911 wouldn't work due to leg room for wife.. so this M2 is really the only exciting coupe with a usable back seat on the market
You hit the nail on the head - once you have kids a two seater isn't gonna work if you want to do things as a family or at least take the kids or one of their friends with you. I never had an issue owning a 2 door, even with baby seats, but a two seater doesn't give you any flexibility. Could've would've bought a GT3 for sure, but too much of an ownership compromise. YMMV of course but in most cases, you end up driving the car alone which can also be therapy…..

Porsche has lost me for now with the dealer games for allocations and ADM, and while I also like the G80 i am going to wait for a real life look and drive of the M2. Will wait until LCI for either, or another CS would be fine too

What fucking arrogance.

Apparently they think they are Ferrari now

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 02:53 PM   #184
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What fucking arrogance.

Apparently they think they are Ferrari now

Apparently the company wants the right sort of buyer to the mark; the kind that buys the upper models and often. That private club mentality only breeds discontent for those who can only afford entry level vehicles. Makes me feel like I'm not worthy to be a Porsche owner because I don't have deeper pockets to afford a REAL Porsche.

To me, it's corporate malfeasance to allow dealers to operate in such a manner, that is unless the tree baring the fruit is also poisoned.

The only thing to do as a buyer is to take our money elsewhere. That's why I am a BMW owner and my next car will be an M2. I don't feel I have to be worthy to own a BMW, the companies is there to provide cars for the sport enthusiast, not to discriminate on the basis of how much I spend and how often. I should be able to buy any car I want within my budget without conditions.

Like I said earlier, attrition is a bitch and when the economy isn't so rosy for Porsche, it will alter the way it views potential first time buyers; not as exploitable and desperate but simply as CUSTOMERS.
Cos270608.50
      11-13-2022, 11:32 AM   #185
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

TR from the Welt in motion

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkoPq...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Appreciate 9
T_U_D6675.00
Tag18118.00
DSTR1235.00
n55f151265.00
trey1001125.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      11-14-2022, 12:31 PM   #186
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M, F80 M3, C7 Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Despite all the criticism I think the car has a lot going for it. Some criticism is definitely valid but overblown.
If I had made my mind up based on the spy leaked photos I wouldn't have bought it, but these look great. Lower that car with some spacers and some nice Carbon add on's it will look great.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 03:31 PM   #187
BrooklynG87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s REX  [10.00]
2021 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
2018 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Compet ...  [10.00]
1999 BMW M3  [10.00]
Wow this looks incredible! Just amazing!! Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
*mt*1606.50