E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Any USC undergrad/grad students?

05-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Any USC undergrad/grad students?

I will be starting my MBA at USC in about 2 months, just wondering if there are any current students or incoming students there

does anyone know how bad parking is on campus? and would you recommend living close to campus or downtown la?

hope to meet some of you guys soon
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
Welcome!
I am c/o 2016 MBA.PM student. Are you doing the full time or part time program? I am part of the Saturday core, so parking is usually not an issue for me except on football game days. If you're planning to move, I would join some of the facebook groups and pose that question. I know some who live in Culver City and take the train, so you have several options.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
AlanH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Garage List
Gonna have to start talking to you both... Graduated SJSU c/o 2013, but planned on getting MBA at USC... :O
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
Welcome!
I am c/o 2016 MBA.PM student. Are you doing the full time or part time program? I am part of the Saturday core, so parking is usually not an issue for me except on football game days. If you're planning to move, I would join some of the facebook groups and pose that question. I know some who live in Culver City and take the train, so you have several options.

full time student! we're gonna probably run into each other at some point then, already part of the ft mba program fb group but not much activity in there haha. I might live in dtla, going apt hunting this sunday. look forward to meeting you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
Gonna have to start talking to you both... Graduated SJSU c/o 2013, but planned on getting MBA at USC... :O
feel free to shoot my any questions you may have, I applied to a lot of MBA schools so I would be happy to share my experience if you need help, good luck! best advice I can give you is get that gmat score up! that was my biggest downfall
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
HTran
Pi Epsilon Pi
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
full time student! we're gonna probably run into each other at some point then, already part of the ft mba program fb group but not much activity in there haha. I might live in dtla, going apt hunting this sunday. look forward to meeting you

feel free to shoot my any questions you may have, I applied to a lot of MBA schools so I would be happy to share my experience if you need help, good luck! best advice I can give you is get that gmat score up! that was my biggest downfall
Dude congrats! i remember you were studying for the gmat. I'm trying to study for the gmat soon, what did you use? I wonder if USC would check my J.D. candidacy GPA instead of my u/g.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTran View Post
Dude congrats! i remember you were studying for the gmat. I'm trying to study for the gmat soon, what did you use? I wonder if USC would check my J.D. candidacy GPA instead of my u/g.
hey buddy! thanks man, long time no talk. I used manhattan gmat, i would say it's the most popular one, but i ended up taking the gmat over 1 year after i took the class (my fault) so i didn't really get to take advantage of what i learned but i can definitely see the class being helpful to someone who followed their recommended timeline
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:09 AM   #7
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Congrats Jon!! Wish you the best of luck
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post
Congrats Jon!! Wish you the best of luck
thanks bud!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
E90Flossin
Vroooomm
Rep
Drives: Lci 335i

Quote:
I will be starting my MBA at USC in about 2 months, just wondering if there are any current students or incoming students there

does anyone know how bad parking is on campus? and would you recommend living close to campus or downtown la?

hope to meet some of you guys soon
Hey welcome to the Trojan family! I was there for 4 years for my DDS program and I can tell you a few things about it. Parking in general is bad around 10 am and in the afternoon around 1pm. If you have morning or late class, don't worry about parking, but if you have classes around that time be prepared to look for parking for a while. There are residential parking at the UV area, where BOA and subway is. Be carful for street cleaning signs. You can park there all day. I would live in dt. la or around the area. The area can get kinda sketch at night lol Lemme know if you have any more questions
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Flossin View Post
Hey welcome to the Trojan family! I was there for 4 years for my DDS program and I can tell you a few things about it. Parking in general is bad around 10 am and in the afternoon around 1pm. If you have morning or late class, don't worry about parking, but if you have classes around that time be prepared to look for parking for a while. There are residential parking at the UV area, where BOA and subway is. Be carful for street cleaning signs. You can park there all day. I would live in dt. la or around the area. The area can get kinda sketch at night lol Lemme know if you have any more questions
thanks for the advice man! Ive been apt hunting in dtla and definitely would appreciate some advice on where to look, I feel like I've exhausted my resources and haven't come across anything I'm too happy with. I'm thinking of going with medici or piero right now because of "bang for the buck" , I would love to live at watermarke or 717 but I got quoted $5100 for a 2 bedroom 2 bath.. that's just ridiculous! I checked out Pegasus too which I was really hoping would be the one but the hallways look straight out of a horror film
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #11
E90Flossin
Vroooomm
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the advice man! Ive been apt hunting in dtla and definitely would appreciate some advice on where to look, I feel like I've exhausted my resources and haven't come across anything I'm too happy with. I'm thinking of going with medici or piero right now because of "bang for the buck" , I would love to live at watermarke or 717 but I got quoted $5100 for a 2 bedroom 2 bath.. that's just ridiculous! I checked out Pegasus too which I was really hoping would be the one but the hallways look straight out of a horror film
Yea Watermark and 717 are expensive. I had a few friends stay at the Medici. Theres a lot of FIDM girls that stay there also lol also look into the Visconti, and the Orsini. A lot of young and college students there.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yea Watermark and 717 are expensive. I had a few friends stay at the Medici. Theres a lot of FIDM girls that stay there also lol also look into the Visconti, and the Orsini. A lot of young and college students there.

lol nice , do you happen to know how your friends like medici? I did check out Visconti and orsini but they are a bit too north for my liking, I do think medici is alright but the fact that you need to go under the 110 freeway overpass (especially at night) concerns me a bit.. call me sheltered lol but even when I was walking there during the day I felt a bit uneasy
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
HTran
Pi Epsilon Pi
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
My gf just got into their DDS program this coming fall. Thanks for the info.

Hey Jon, congrats again man, thanks again for recommending Manhattan. How about the Kaplan one? do you think 4 months of studying is sufficient?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTran View Post
My gf just got into their DDS program this coming fall. Thanks for the info.

Hey Jon, congrats again man, thanks again for recommending Manhattan. How about the Kaplan one? do you think 4 months of studying is sufficient?
that's awesome, congrats to her, we should get together sometime at usc then (all 3 of us, not just me and your gf LOL )

to answer your question, I did quite a bit of research prior to choosing manhattan, it was highly recommended on gmat forums and all the reviews I read said it was better than Kaplan, with that said I never too Kaplan so I can't comment first hand on how they compare, the amount of studying really varies depending on how much you know/remember from college, the gmat really isn't hard because of what's on it, it's hard because you don't remember stuff like HOW TO FIND THE VOLUME OF A SPHERE ENCLOSED IN A CUBE or some crap, stuff that would have been easy in college but you just don't really remember. Writing was really easy for me personally (I got for score and I don't consider myself an amazing writer) I definitely highly recommend taking a course though but before that plan out your timeline on where u want to be and when you want to be there so you don't make the same mistake I did and take the class then completely blow off the gmat for a year
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
E90Flossin
Vroooomm
Rep

Quote:
lol nice , do you happen to know how your friends like medici? I did check out Visconti and orsini but they are a bit too north for my liking, I do think medici is alright but the fact that you need to go under the 110 freeway overpass (especially at night) concerns me a bit.. call me sheltered lol but even when I was walking there during the day I felt a bit uneasy
Yea they like it. I haven't heard any complaints lol Safety in dt. la is a lil sketch. If you want a good neighborhood, look in Pasadena or Culver city. A few of my classmates commuted from there
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yea they like it. I haven't heard any complaints lol Safety in dt. la is a lil sketch. If you want a good neighborhood, look in Pasadena or Culver city. A few of my classmates commuted from there

lol thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #17
AoS810
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 N51, 2011 E91 N52

Fight On!! I just graduated with a MAcc in May. For those asking about the GMAT I also highly recommend Manhattan. I took an in-person class with them and my particular instructor was very entertaining although I've heard the online videos are pretty good too.

KwlAznKid, have you considered school housing? I lived in Terrace (http://housing.usc.edu/index.php/buildings/terrace/) which is on 29th and Orchard for $755 a month + electricity. The location was very convenient and secure (required ID swipe). Terrace has a gated parking area on the ground level so that was great for peace of mind.

I just biked to campus and it took me roughly 7 minutes including crosswalk wait time to get to JKP (MBA & MAcc share this building). If you don't want to live that close to campus and prefer driving, try to reserve your parking pass asap at PSX as that's the closest one to JKP.

Feel free to hit me up if you need anything and congrats again.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 04:33 AM   #18
tmdals0213
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 G22

Quote:
Hey welcome to the Trojan family! I was there for 4 years for my DDS program
congrats on finishing! are you going to specialty school or plan on practicing right away? I have a couple friends in D3 haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #19
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoS810 View Post
Fight On!! I just graduated with a MAcc in May. For those asking about the GMAT I also highly recommend Manhattan. I took an in-person class with them and my particular instructor was very entertaining although I've heard the online videos are pretty good too.

KwlAznKid, have you considered school housing? I lived in Terrace (http://housing.usc.edu/index.php/buildings/terrace/) which is on 29th and Orchard for $755 a month + electricity. The location was very convenient and secure (required ID swipe). Terrace has a gated parking area on the ground level so that was great for peace of mind.

I just biked to campus and it took me roughly 7 minutes including crosswalk wait time to get to JKP (MBA & MAcc share this building). If you don't want to live that close to campus and prefer driving, try to reserve your parking pass asap at PSX as that's the closest one to JKP.

Feel free to hit me up if you need anything and congrats again.
congrats man! and thanks. I initially did consider USC housing but after talking to some other incoming students and nobody else considered it my interest sort of faded but that price is very reasonable! sounds like a great backup for me incase things don't pan out in downtown. thanks for the help buddy
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #20
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Have you tried Avant South Park? Looks like a great place in downtown LA. And congrats!
      06-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #21
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
Have you tried Avant South Park? Looks like a great place in downtown LA. And congrats!
thanks bro! and yessir, did a tour 2 weeks ago, really didn't like it to be honest, hallways were sort of creepy even though it's brand new, not a huge fan of the location either, it's like a bit too south of southpark for my preference, I like the location where the met is and such, so a bit more north I guess
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #22
E90Flossin
Vroooomm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213 View Post
congrats on finishing! are you going to specialty school or plan on practicing right away? I have a couple friends in D3 haha.
Thats pretty sweet! I finished in 2013, I may have seen them around lol I am currently practicing and probably not gonna specialize.
Appreciate 0