home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

03-09-2023, 02:44 PM   #1
Ca86108
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

M240i XDrive Track Pads?

What pads are you using for the track? Are there any track pads available? I can’t find any pads for sale other than OEM. Will I be alright if I just do a high temp brake fluid swap or are there other options? (I do not have the high performance and cooling package)
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2023, 09:12 AM   #2
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca86108 View Post
What pads are you using for the track? Are there any track pads available? I can’t find any pads for sale other than OEM. Will I be alright if I just do a high temp brake fluid swap or are there other options? (I do not have the high performance and cooling package)
I'm using Endless Pads, but I have the high performance and cooling package. I bought them from SpeedFreaks, Matt is a wonderful resource. I hope this helps. By the way stock pads worked okay for me, but I have the upgrade.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.

Last edited by oldbmwtech; 03-15-2023 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2023, 09:51 AM   #3
SammyAlipour
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
I'm using Endless Pads, but I have the high performance and cooling package. I bought them from SpeedFreaks, Matt is a wonderful resource. I hope this helps. By the way stock pads worked okay for me, but I have the upgrade.
Do you have the link for those pads by chance? I also have the tire and cooling package.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 09:17 PM   #4
Ca86108
Private First Class
Rep

Damn, so I see the only track pad options are Endless and EBC. However, I think they only make the pads for ZTK sized calipers. I need to find track pads for the regular base calipers… but no luck so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 01:48 PM   #5
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyAlipour View Post
Do you have the link for those pads by chance? I also have the tire and cooling package.
I used Endless ME20 EIP 301 and EIP302. Been on the track with them 4 times and still have plenty of pad life plus I use them on the street with no squeal. They are not the best street pads but at least they don't squeal and I don't have to swap them every track event. I will however swap them here soon since the weather here in Texas gets so hot and I don't run in the heat.
Call Matt at SpeedfreaksUSA He will help you I have dealt with him for many years, I'm not affiliated with them they are just good people. I normally don't give reviews or referrals but he has been very honest and a great resource for me. As for EBC pads I used them several years ago and never buy them again. They chunked on me at the track. Not sure if they are different today but one bad experience and never again unless someone with great knowledge have used them recently.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2023, 01:52 PM   #6
SammyAlipour
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
I used Endless ME20 EIP 301 and EIP302. Been on the track with them 4 times and still have plenty of pad life plus I use them on the street with no squeal. They are not the best street pads but at least they don't squeal and I don't have to swap them every track event. I will however swap them here soon since the weather here in Texas gets so hot and I don't run in the heat.
Call Matt at SpeedfreaksUSA He will help you I have dealt with him for many years, I'm not affiliated with them they are just good people. I normally don't give reviews or referrals but he has been very honest and a great resource for me. As for EBC pads I used them several years ago and never buy them again. They chunked on me at the track. Not sure if they are different today but one bad experience and never again unless someone with great knowledge have used them recently.
Thank you for the thourough reply! Can I ask why they don’t perform well on the street?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 02:29 PM   #7
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Typically, brake pad performance has some temperature influence based upon materials used. Street use does not typically generate the temperatures track use does. Track pads typically do not generate enough heat in street use to get the materials warm enough to be as 'good' as regular street pads. Street pads on the track overheat and fade.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2023, 11:02 AM   #8
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue135 View Post
Typically, brake pad performance has some temperature influence based upon materials used. Street use does not typically generate the temperatures track use does. Track pads typically do not generate enough heat in street use to get the materials warm enough to be as 'good' as regular street pads. Street pads on the track overheat and fade.
Agree. On the street at slow speeds they don't grab a well as stock pads, however they work ok. Track pads work much better when they are hot. I did however use stock pads on the track since I couldn't get the track pads in time and the stock pads worked fine. I was impressed with them however they won't last but 2 or 3 track weekends. If you are willing, FCP Euro has a lifetime replacement on all there parts including consumables, oil, etc. You just have to pay shipping back to them.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 07:03 PM   #9
Ca86108
Private First Class
Rep

So far, everyone whom I have come across that tracked on stock pads had the ZTK package. I'd love to hear if the standard brakes held up for even 1 track day lol. I want to get at least 1 good track day out of the stock pads with just fluid. I will wait for a BBK before I go big.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 04:02 PM   #10
Ca86108
Private First Class
Rep

Any updates on this? Has anyone bought track pads for the NON ZTK base package?

So far, I only found these but can't confirm if they are for the non ZTK brakes.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/ssearch.html#/filter:finder_hierarchy_2:2$2520Series~G42$2520$25 2F$2520G43$2520(2022$252B)~M240i$2520xDrive/q:/filter:sitecategory_hierarchy:Brakes~Race$2520$252 6$2520Track$2520Brake$2520Pads
Appreciate 0