bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) App, Nav, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-07-2023, 10:17 AM   #1
Skeeter44
Private
Rep
Drives: e39 540i6

Navigation System

Are most of you using the built-in navigation system versus Google / Apple? I have been unable to get destinations into the BMW system - It simply doesn't find them whether I'm looking for CVS or Safeway or the pet food store, nothing works. also the voice input does not recognize anything I say. I'm thinking at this point there is some sort of a connectivity problem I've called the genius line twice and all they've done is tell me to reset it.

any thoughts, suggestions, or input?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 11:39 AM   #2
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Waze always
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 09:06 PM   #3
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Sounds like your connected services isn't working. Any queries like "Find Starbucks" goes from the car to their servers. Mine expired a few weeks before I was to get rid of my car, and the car suddenly became stupid. It couldn't process anything but the most direct commands. I'm sure your nav can get to directly inputted addresses.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 02:06 AM   #4
Ajax30za
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240i

I use the bmw maps for the saved destinations I have, but I do struggle to input random destinations. I also have a feeling the traffic isn’t anywhere near as accurate as Waze, so when I expect there to be traffic, I Use Waze.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 05:11 AM   #5
perfectlyfrank
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M240i, 22 Ford Maverick

Garage List
It worked great for me on a 900 mile road trip a couple weeks ago. I was able to find all hotels, restaurants, rest stops that I was looking for. For part of the trip, I was in an area with bad cell service and could barely send text messages, so Waze/Google maps would have been useless.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2023, 07:20 AM   #6
Cwatt79
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i M Sport

I use the built in navigation and find that it works pretty well across the board. Sounds like your car has problems.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2024, 04:20 PM   #7
Navin_Johnson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 m240i xdrive

My wife and I took a 5000 mile trip this past fall in her Telluride. I programed her friend's Arizona address into the in-dash nav (which was 3 days away) and used my Garmin that I had pre-programed my reserved rooms for the two nights on the way there. I used my phone for any interesting points we had in mind to pass by on the way, and as long as at least two of the screens matched, we were good. After Arizona, we headed up towards Colorado for another leg of our trip before heading back to Northern Illinois. Running 3 screens made me feel a lot better because I've learned over time that any one of the devices can go a little different way than what I wanted, but having a couple of them match was great. The last trip we did in that direction was in 2005 and it was all done with a paper atlas. I think I bought my first Garmin after that trip..... I'm looking forward to see how well the nav is on my car when it gets here. The tech just keeps getting better, but some areas in AZ or even CO, there is almost zero cell signal.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 07:23 PM   #8
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

I mostly use Waze for the reasons mentioned above - accurate traffic, police/hazard reports etc. Plus for music, CarPlay will give you better quality (wifi vs BT) and the CarPlay map icon you’re using is right there on the music screen.

But I like the BMW map interface and features much better. It also integrates with the HUD and the live cockpit I’m assuming (I haven’t tried it much yet). None of the CarPlay maps do (right?).

What I want to verify is, I think you can be on CarPlay and have Waze selected, but use BMW Maps for the actual directions and map. Waze will still tell you if there’s a cop/hazard ahead.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 02:51 AM   #9
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
I mostly use Waze for the reasons mentioned above - accurate traffic, police/hazard reports etc. Plus for music, CarPlay will give you better quality (wifi vs BT) and the CarPlay map icon you’re using is right there on the music screen.

But I like the BMW map interface and features much better. It also integrates with the HUD and the live cockpit I’m assuming (I haven’t tried it much yet). None of the CarPlay maps do (right?).

What I want to verify is, I think you can be on CarPlay and have Waze selected, but use BMW Maps for the actual directions and map. Waze will still tell you if there’s a cop/hazard ahead.
I use just Apple maps and it does also use the HUD and the main cluster (if its set to the map view).
Appreciate 2
Fronzdan304.00
ms6.00
      03-16-2024, 01:30 PM   #10
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Most of the time I prefer the BMW Navigation because it has the best heads up display features and the map stays in my gauge cluster as well which I like. In rare instances that I am not using the BMW Navi, it's Apple Maps for me (not as pretty in HUD, but prettier in the main center screen.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 11:19 AM   #11
SDKevin
Cone Killer
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i, Ducati 1299S

Android Auto with Google maps for me. I will never get another car that doesn't have this functionality.
Appreciate 0