F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 435d xDrive f36 Suspension Advice
GetBMWParts

04-28-2024, 06:46 AM   #1
Jim320d
Rep
Drives: F36 435d

435d xDrive f36 Suspension Advice

Hey Guys,
I'm running stock suspension on my 435d xdrive, front shocks now need replacing and have always wanted to drop it a little with how the XD sits so now seems like the perfect time!
If I replace with OEM shocks can I still go with lower springs, e.g. ACS or eibach, or will that kill the shocks with the lower ride?
I'm reading up on aftermarket options that work with the adaptive suspension, anyone know best models to go that route and feedback on first hand experience?
Also reading it's possible to go non adaptive and have it coded out of the car, not sure I wanna go that route but still interested to hear thoughts and feedback from anyone who's done it.
Any other things to consider?
Appreciate all advice!
Appreciate 1
danb19791964.00
      04-28-2024, 07:57 AM   #2
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim320d View Post
Hey Guys,
I'm running stock suspension on my 435d xdrive, front shocks now need replacing and have always wanted to drop it a little with how the XD sits so now seems like the perfect time!
If I replace with OEM shocks can I still go with lower springs, e.g. ACS or eibach, or will that kill the shocks with the lower ride?
I'm reading up on aftermarket options that work with the adaptive suspension, anyone know best models to go that route and feedback on first hand experience?
Also reading it's possible to go non adaptive and have it coded out of the car, not sure I wanna go that route but still interested to hear thoughts and feedback from anyone who's done it.
Any other things to consider?
Appreciate all advice!
In theory you can fit whatever you want if you've the budget; but it's down to your preferences and what you'd like

Yes you can code out the EDC; or you can get a plug in kit (KW make one for c£400 IIRC) that simply plugs in and that's it done

As for shocks; you can go for the likes of Bilstein damptronic shocks; although I think they're more or less out of stock everywhere currently); or OEM BMW shocks (very expensive) or the likes of coilovers (ie. KW Street Comforts) that come with the EDC plug in kit and that'll allow you to lower the car to the ride height you want but offer a slightly more compliant ride over their normal V1 / V2 kits which are firmer

I don't have EDC, my F31 is RWD (thankfully) but I replaced ALL the suspension back in Jan inc Bilstein B4S shocks (correct ones for an M Sport) along with Eibach pro kit springs and the car drives & handles superbly

A tough firmer than OEM; but without the harshness/crashyness that the M Sport is known for; the loose rear end has gone as well, but it's still smooth/compliant when needed on longer journeys etc

If you're not fussed re the EDC side of things; that could be an easy way to refresh your suspension and get a sensible drop without overdoing any of the suspension and making it too firm; unless you're fine with that

I toyed with the likes of Bilstein B14 / B16 coilovers or the B12 kit; but having test driven a few BMWs with those kits fitted; they were just too firm for every day driving, for my preferences

Others will love how they transform the ride/handling of their car; but they weren't for me

This was the day I collected my F31 back from my pals after every part of the suspension was replaced (all arms/top mounts included etc), to give you an idea of how the car sits on Bilstein/Eibach suspension

04-28-2024, 09:20 AM   #3
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Hey Guys,
I'm running stock suspension on my 435d xdrive, ..... have always wanted to drop it a little with how the XD sits so now seems like the perfect time!
If I replace with OEM shocks can I still go with lower springs, e.g. ACS or eibach, or will that kill the shocks with the lower ride?...
I went with ACS springs on my 435D with adpative shocks and have put circa 20k miles on it since. Certainly hasn't killed the shocks.

They lowered the ride height by around 18mm and gave a more controlled primary ride. Nothing to complain about.
Appreciate 1
danb19791964.00
      04-28-2024, 09:21 AM   #4
Gixerste
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 430D m sport

I've fitted both ACS and eibach springs to my cars with standard shocks and had no problems what so ever
Appreciate 1
danb19791964.00
      04-28-2024, 10:32 AM   #5
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Lots of options available. Perhaps an M Sport RWD setup could be an agreeable OEM option? Although I don't know if the extra unsprung mass of the front driveshafts is catered for in S drive dampers and spring rates. Should be fine as 35ds have the softer SE suspension anyway. S drive M sport is a fair chunk firmer.

Stock dampers won't be killed by lowering springs providing they are not too low and the spring rates don't overwhelm the damper valving. The ACS and Eibach Pro springs are mild with sensible drops, so are well within the stock damper's comfort zone. I've only seen that happen with silly -50mm excessively stiff 'Sport' type springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 02:55 PM   #6
Jim320d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
In theory you can fit whatever you want if you've the budget; but it's down to your preferences and what you'd like

Yes you can code out the EDC; or you can get a plug in kit (KW make one for c£400 IIRC) that simply plugs in and that's it done

As for shocks; you can go for the likes of Bilstein damptronic shocks; although I think they're more or less out of stock everywhere currently); or OEM BMW shocks (very expensive) or the likes of coilovers (ie. KW Street Comforts) that come with the EDC plug in kit and that'll allow you to lower the car to the ride height you want but offer a slightly more compliant ride over their normal V1 / V2 kits which are firmer

I don't have EDC, my F31 is RWD (thankfully) but I replaced ALL the suspension back in Jan inc Bilstein B4S shocks (correct ones for an M Sport) along with Eibach pro kit springs and the car drives & handles superbly

A tough firmer than OEM; but without the harshness/crashyness that the M Sport is known for; the loose rear end has gone as well, but it's still smooth/compliant when needed on longer journeys etc

If you're not fussed re the EDC side of things; that could be an easy way to refresh your suspension and get a sensible drop without overdoing any of the suspension and making it too firm; unless you're fine with that

I toyed with the likes of Bilstein B14 / B16 coilovers or the B12 kit; but having test driven a few BMWs with those kits fitted; they were just too firm for every day driving, for my preferences

Others will love how they transform the ride/handling of their car; but [...]
Nice info, much appreciated and car looks great!
Tbh I'm similar in that I'm not looking to go crazy harsh or crazy low with the suspension, would still like some ride comfort from it.
At the moment im thinking I'd like to stick with adaptive and seen some suggestions for Bilstein B4 damptronics that (from what I'm reading) should work with the car as designed for electronic dampening. But as you suggest they may be out of stock so will need to search around, thinking to pair them with eibach springs, maybe these https://www.eibachshop.co.uk/product...0-20-031-05-22
Appreciate 1
danb19791964.00
      04-28-2024, 02:58 PM   #7
Jim320d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
I went with ACS springs on my 435D with adpative shocks and have put circa 20k miles on it since. Certainly hasn't killed the shocks.

They lowered the ride height by around 18mm and gave a more controlled primary ride. Nothing to complain about.
Nice, so that was sticking with OEM adaptive shocks?
Also, is yours xdrive or was the 18mm drop on an m suspension?
If you have link or part number for the ACS's you went with I'd be keen to check them out..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 05:16 PM   #8
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Nice, so that was sticking with OEM adaptive shocks?
Also, is yours xdrive or was the 18mm drop on an m suspension?
If you have link or part number for the ACS's you went with I'd be keen to check them out..
Yes.

All 435D are X-Drive, so yes mine is...

I don't have the part number to hand, my invoice doesn't have it on there.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2024, 03:15 AM   #9
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
Nice info, much appreciated and car looks great!
Tbh I'm similar in that I'm not looking to go crazy harsh or crazy low with the suspension, would still like some ride comfort from it.
At the moment im thinking I'd like to stick with adaptive and seen some suggestions for Bilstein B4 damptronics that (from what I'm reading) should work with the car as designed for electronic dampening. But as you suggest they may be out of stock so will need to search around, thinking to pair them with eibach springs, maybe these https://www.eibachshop.co.uk/product...0-20-031-05-22
It's the Eibach pro-kit springs I've fitted to my F31 - would highly recommend them

They and the B4 shocks suit the UK roads really well
      05-01-2024, 09:54 AM   #10
Jim320d
Rep

So was settled with the Bilstein B4 shocks and Eibach pro springs, but looks like B4 shocks are very hard to get hold of at the mo, some places taking back orders with ETA of mid/late June!!
Anyone know a place to source the B4 shocks, or a good alternative to the B4 shocks that will plug straight into the adaptive?

For ref these are the parts I was looking at:
Eibach Springs - E10-20-031-05-22
Bilstein B4 front left shock - 23-266469
Bilstein B4 front right shock - 23-266476
Appreciate 1
danb19791964.00
      05-01-2024, 10:08 AM   #11
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
So was settled with the Bilstein B4 shocks and Eibach pro springs, but looks like B4 shocks are very hard to get hold of at the mo, some places taking back orders with ETA of mid/late June!!
Anyone know a place to source the B4 shocks, or a good alternative to the B4 shocks that will plug straight into the adaptive?

For ref these are the parts I was looking at:
Eibach Springs - E10-20-031-05-22
Bilstein B4 front left shock - 23-266469
Bilstein B4 front right shock - 23-266476
Can't help you sourcing them unfortunately; as said it's been known for a while now that there are stock issues

Any reason why you're not replacing all 4 corners?

Whilst they're out I'd be replacing the top mounts/dust boots/bump stops etc and drop links; makes sense

As said above, you could fit the standard shocks and code out EDC on the car; but if you use it; you're cornered so to speak
      05-01-2024, 11:25 AM   #12
Jim320d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
Can't help you sourcing them unfortunately; as said it's been known for a while now that there are stock issues

Any reason why you're not replacing all 4 corners?

Whilst they're out I'd be replacing the top mounts/dust boots/bump stops etc and drop links; makes sense

As said above, you could fit the standard shocks and code out EDC on the car; but if you use it; you're cornered so to speak
Ha, you're right you did say about the Bilsteins, well this is crashing my plan!

I asked my mechanic if I should go all 4 and he said I could get away skipping rears if I wanted based on the fact that they generally last a lot longer than the fronts and the B4's are pretty similar to the OE shocks. So based on that I thought I'd save the £700 odd quid for them tbh!

Yep had top mounts & bump stops on the list, was looking to get the F8X bump stops based on posts I've read (31336859768 & 31337847662), but looking/looked also at powerflex bump stops. Didn't have drop links on the list but will add them!

Preference is definitely to stick with EDC, may have to put a back order in and play the waiting game!
Appreciate 1
danb19791964.00
      05-01-2024, 01:31 PM   #13
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
Ha, you're right you did say about the Bilsteins, well this is crashing my plan!

I asked my mechanic if I should go all 4 and he said I could get away skipping rears if I wanted based on the fact that they generally last a lot longer than the fronts and the B4's are pretty similar to the OE shocks. So based on that I thought I'd save the £700 odd quid for them tbh!

Yep had top mounts & bump stops on the list, was looking to get the F8X bump stops based on posts I've read (31336859768 & 31337847662), but looking/looked also at powerflex bump stops. Didn't have drop links on the list but will add them!

Preference is definitely to stick with EDC, may have to put a back order in and play the waiting game!
Don't waste your time with F80 bump stops; not needed. I run OEM ones with zero issues and the cars been loaded a number of times and nowhere near bottoming out