BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

05-06-2024, 02:52 PM   #1
owenmwalters
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Angry 2024 m2 shipping questions

SO, I have order my 2024 M2 in the last week of dec 2023, i was quoted 14 weeks MAX, im completely understanding that things happen and it may take longer.

From my tracking im still in ready to transport...

I was in quality control for 34 days (was told it was because i chose the comp steering wheel)

and now have been in "ready for transport" FOR A MONTH. (i was told this took 6 days)

I called the Genius, they said its in a "holding lot" in mexico, so its left the factory and is waiting at the port,

I was quoted April 1 delivery.

Now my question is,

What boat does BMW use from mexico to baltimore?

How can I locate that boat?

Will my BMW for sure get on that boat the next time it docks at the port in mexico?

Where is the manifest that has the boat routes and arrivals and departures...

this is leading me to buy one thats already state side, but as a car salesman myself, i know what its like to have an orderd customer buy somewhere else because they are impatient..but were well over a month past given eta and no end in sight.
TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 05:27 PM   #2
td1439
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i xDrive

there are a bunch of us in the same waiting pattern. (I spent a week in QC, three weeks in FA, and now two and a half weeks on RFT.) it seems that there have been very few boats taking cars for east coast VPC delivery (Brunswick/Baltimore/Newark). a bunch of us have been commiserating in the G42 forum (come on by, we have cake and despair).

quite a few people were hoping their cars made it into the most recent boat to leave, Glovis Sun, but it’s not looking good. my CA emailed me at the end of last week to say my dealership alone has 15-20 cars sitting in Mexico waiting to be sent on boats.

I’m currently waiting to hear back from Genius and/or my CA to confirm my car isn’t on Glovis Sun.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 05:34 PM   #3
MASHCT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
there are a bunch of us in the same waiting pattern. (I spent a week in QC, three weeks in FA, and now two and a half weeks on RFT.) it seems that there have been very few boats taking cars for east coast VPC delivery (Brunswick/Baltimore/Newark). a bunch of us have been commiserating in the G42 forum (come on by, we have cake and despair).

quite a few people were hoping their cars made it into the most recent boat to leave, Glovis Sun, but it’s not looking good. my CA emailed me at the end of last week to say my dealership alone has 15-20 cars sitting in Mexico waiting to be sent on boats.

I’m currently waiting to hear back from Genius and/or my CA to confirm my car isn’t on Glovis Sun.
"We have cake and despair."

BMW needs to get another damn boat to Veracruz...
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 1
td143957.00
      05-06-2024, 06:14 PM   #4
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmwalters View Post

SO, I have order my 2024 M2 in the last week of dec 2023, i was quoted 14 weeks MAX, im completely understanding that things happen and it may take longer.

From my tracking im still in ready to transport...

I was in quality control for 34 days (was told it was because i chose the comp steering wheel)

and now have been in "ready for transport" FOR A MONTH. (i was told this took 6 days)

I called the Genius, they said its in a "holding lot" in mexico, so its left the factory and is waiting at the port,

I was quoted April 1 delivery.

Now my question is,

What boat does BMW use from mexico to baltimore?

How can I locate that boat?

Will my BMW for sure get on that boat the next time it docks at the port in mexico?

Where is the manifest that has the boat routes and arrivals and departures...

this is leading me to buy one thats already state side, but as a car salesman myself, i know what its like to have an orderd customer buy somewhere else because they are impatient..but were well over a month past given eta and no end in sight.
TIA
Unfortunately, there are a lot of variables. People have had a wide range of "wait times" for certain steps that make for a fairly quick "schedule" vs some that have had to wait longer. Sometimes they find out the reason, sometimes it's unclear.

What sucks in your case was that you've been told info that seems to be tough to guarantee, which then created an expectation on your part.

I think you're fairly close. Maybe hold out if it's not an emergency (is that weird to say with an ordered M2?) and get what you built and ordered?

Did you get any port-installed accessories/options?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 11:21 AM   #5
owenmwalters
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

can you link me to that fourm
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 11:58 AM   #6
td1439
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmwalters View Post
can you link me to that fourm
It's here, but fair warning: a bunch of us found out that our cars made it onto a ship, so now it's more a "cake and relief" vibe.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 12:34 PM   #7
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
It's a really bad practice for dealerships to give out hard delivery dates like this. Client Advisors are worried that if people think they have to wait longer then they will lose deals to other dealerships. They actually will lose deals, and it will be to dealerships like this one that mislead you. I'll share a story.

I had a customer that was trying to get an X5 by December 31 for the 6k lb GVWR tax break. It was very late in the year. It was a very specific build in a rare color. I had one available, but I told him the chances of it arriving on time were very slim. Maybe 10%. I explained the timeline, and how some vehicles can get delayed with no explanation, and it's basically a lottery.

This client went with another dealership that had the same spec. it was on the same timeline as mine. It was the only other available car on the west coast, so I knew which dealership had it. They promised him that it would arrive in the last week of December. I told him the other dealership was BS, and no one could predict it. The client went with the other dealership.

Neither of the X5s arrived on time. I lost the business. The dealership that lied got the business when it showed up.

When clients put up with lies and deceit from the dealership, they are reinforcing bad behavior. I will never guarantee an arrival time for a car, and I will always lose business to a dealership that does. What can you do? You can stop rewarding bad behavior.
Appreciate 4
xtougher607.00
Ravenseal2901.00
ando2005.00
      05-08-2024, 10:31 AM   #8
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

To piggyback on the other comments here, 90% of your wait is based entirely on luck/timing after your car is allocated. Some cars show up to the port the day before a boat leaves. Others show up the day after the boat leaves, and have to sit for a month. Quality control is a crapshoot. A single screw could be delayed in their supply chain and they can't send a car out without it. Others pick options that are back ordered (I didn't want to wait 3 months for carbon seats and took them off my build, as an example).

You just have to learn to accept and appreciate the wait. It makes delivery day all the more exciting. If you think 14 weeks max is hard, I had to wait 18 months take delivery of my M2 from when I placed a deposit

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0