E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Suspension, something wrong with mine?

03-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Suspension, something wrong with mine?

I've had my car for less than a year, the suspension looks stock, and I have no service history. It feels okay but two things I noticed that are rather bugging me.

One: front suspension.

When I stop the car kind of swings back a bit. No matter how gently I come to a stop it swings back. Unless I make it it stop like extra gently. None of the cars I owned did that. They did pop back up a bit but didn't swing back.

Two: rear suspension.

When driving at town speeds, 20-30 mph, if I'm turning or going around a corner and one of the rear wheels goes over something uneven (I think that's what causes it) it feels like the whole rear shifts sideways slightly. Like the rear tyres lose grip for a millisecond.

Otherwise it all feels fine.

Are those things normal with BMWs or is something wrong with my car?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

What suspension do you have, age and tyres?

My rear did the same when on standard worn M Sport suspension and runflat tyres. If you mean the suspension dips when coming to a stop thats normal, mine does it on coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

As far as I can tell it's just a bog standard suspension (not M Sport), probably quite old. Tyres are non RF on 17" wheels.

I don't mean it just dips when coming to a stop, I mean car swings back after it stopped. I get a similar feeling sometimes when put the handbrake on and release the brake. But that's probably only on a sloping surface, not sure, stopped paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
davealfa11
Private
Rep
Drives: 318 saloon

id be looking at bushes
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

By the way you are describing the problem I'd say

1/ front suspension

No9 is your front lower tension strut these are very common you'll also though you haven't mentioned it feel a slight knock or jolt under braking when these play up and you'll also feel a shudder under uneven road surfaces - however when speaking to people who's car we repair and we ask the questions not many seem to feel there s anything wrong once repalced with new arms guess what they feel the difference immediatly as they have become sanatized to the way the car drove before hand. No10 are the front wishbones again you can get play in these as well as the bushes wear so on the fronts wwell worth getting everything checked out or even refreshed you'll feel the difference especially if they arsm have been on the car for some time.

2/ rear suepension

the rears a bit more difficult as its a good old multi link set up but if you fel that the car skips say when you are turing right and or when going over say a bump then it could be several things

I'm thinking from how you are describing it that you may have a weak rear axle bush No3 for the rear mounted No2 for the front mounted if these are not rigid then under laod the assembly will under load move essentually sideways and you'll feel it I would say.But the lower rear bushes on the diagram are also worthy of a good look as well but axle bushes for me sound like a good place to start

The rears diffiuclt for some places to prove even the smallest movement when checked with a pry bar can trranslate to under load a feeling that isn't right once the cars driven

Here's some pics of my old shot bushes on my old car

IMO well worth getting it checked out only a guess mind based on what you've described but its sounds like it could be what you have described

Hope this helps

Last edited by old grey steve; 03-12-2017 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
tadaska118.50
      03-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Steve, that's a nice clear diagram I was looking for. It will help me wrap my brain around this before I proceed with the actual work
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post

however when speaking to people who's car we repair and we ask the questions not many seem to feel there s anything wrong
That's the thing, I only drive to work and back and the shops. And in slow town traffic it sort of feels okay and after a while you get used to it and stop noticing anything. But the other day I drove my workmates new S Line Audi and it reminded me how a good suspension is supposed to feel. I don't know if the E90 suspension when in good condition does feel as good as that Audi but it should at least be pretty close. And at the moment it's not. So now new bushes is definitely on the agenda. Won't be very soon as a new DMFW and clutch is next. But after what you said I'm now confident that new bushes are needed and I can start learning all I can about the E90 suspension in preparation for the work to come
Appreciate 0