11-06-2023, 09:32 AM   #222
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post
Any suggestions for getting the most trade in value on an ordered car? I can't really sell elsewhere because of sales tax benefits on trade in.
A good trade in becomes one from the day you take possession of the vehicle. Good treatment. Good (and documented) service. No mods.

What I have done is get some offers for my trade in to get some idea of its value.

I have used KBB (dot com). But there might be other web sites too. And you can shop for a used car similar to your car to see what the used car market is like. The prices you see online will be retail and you can't expect to get that as a trade in but you can get an idea of what your trade in might go for retail and adjust your trade in price to reflect that.

Don't know about law/rules where you live but here in AR I have 60 days from the time I sell a used vehicle to use its sales price to reduce my sales tax on the new vehicle. For an ordered car though unless you are sure the car will arrive in time best to wait and trade it.

I got a pretty good offer (from a Ford dealer located just inside the MO state line) for my 2022 BMW 230i but I was not sure when the M2 would arrive at the dealer and even then I was not sure I would actually be able to buy the M2. I was worried the dealer might be stringing me along. Since the value of the 230i was good (low miles, excellent condition) I was loathe to risk losing that if I sold the car and then was unable to buy the new M2 in time.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 12:53 PM   #223
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by apez View Post
Any suggestions for getting the most trade in value on an ordered car? I can't really sell elsewhere because of sales tax benefits on trade in.
In CA we don't get that trade-in tax incentive.

So to mitigate risk of getting low-balled before my 2017 showed up I sold the car to CarMax. I sold it the same day I picked up the M2 and endorsed the check to the dealer.

I know that's not an option for you, but at least you can get a quote from them. That might help you know where you stand.

CarMax doesn't negotiate, so I think they're a decent indicator of the market. Of course, a dealership can play with numbers so they may be able to give you more than a car is actually worth to "sweeten the deal."

I will probably do a similar thing this time around with the 2024 M2. I will get a quote and hope the dealer meets or exceeds it at purchase time. If they don't I will go back to CarMax and sell it there.

tl;dr

1 - Get a sense of market value in your area by getting quotes from dealers / CarMax for a cash purchase.
2 - Always be willing to walk away if you think you're being offered a bad deal. In my experience, if it's truly a bad deal the dealer won't let you walk away. If you're just trying to squeeze the last $500-$1k of value out of it, they might.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 02:49 PM   #224
Trogster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I don't know if it's a sign of the times, or uniquely a BMW issue, but this has been the worse new-car purchase experience in the 30 years I've been buying cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 06:23 PM   #225
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojala View Post
Autobahn BMW in Fort Worth and the CA Greg Chandler was definitely a good dealership to buy from. He did tell me that they don't do out of Texas purchases.

Someone canceled their order so I purchased for MSRP with no dealer adds or shenanigans. I went to look at it on Saturday morning when the car popped up on their website, signed my paperwork and put down a credit card to hold till Monday when title paperwork and my trade could happen.

I was surprised that this car is a 09/23 build and upon looking at the paperwork it had just hit port at Galveston. I've never seen cars move that fast from factory to port to dealer.
I bought my M2 CS from that dealer at MSRP and had it shipped to LA. Was very easy via email.
      11-06-2023, 06:34 PM   #226
TheGeekGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballis View Post
Arrowhead BMW is a complete joke. NEVER shop with them. $23k markup on ZB M2, and require you to purchase LoJack for $800 and Tint and door handle PPF for $500.

Terrible, sleazy dealership.
I would have asked, "Can your dick touch your arse? If so, go fuck yourself."

Gone but not forgotten:
2021 MINI JCW GP • 2016 MINI JCW • 2012 MINI Couper S • 2010 MINI Cooper S Camden Edition
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 08:36 PM   #227
DarkNight707
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 (2024),BMW E82(2009)-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post

So to mitigate risk of getting low-balled before my 2017 showed up I sold the car to CarMax. I sold it the same day I picked up the M2 and endorsed the check to the dealer.
I did something similar, sold my E82 to Carvana a few days after g87 delivery. They had the highest offer from multiple dealers in the area, including CarMax. Considered private sale but too much hassle, at least for me. Super simple and fast process. As a matter of fact, it took longer for the driver to take the liscence plates than the entire purchasing appointment.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 01:36 AM   #228
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
Some things never change. Gavin Nuisance® is always bragging that the state has a massive budget surplus. So why are they doing this? Write to him and demand the policy be updated. Better yet vote his smarmy ass out of office.

What about license tag fees? When I was still living there, you got NO credit at all when you sold a car. For example, renew your tabs, sell the car 3 months later, sorry pal! You paid a full year but you bailed early. Gavin keeps your money. Did that ever get fixed so that you get a pro-rated refund?
      11-08-2023, 12:26 AM   #229
jpf340
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

I think I may have seen someone else provide a reference already, but I’ve had a really good experience with Faulkner BMW in Lancaster, PA. I worked with Tanner H. on two seperate purchases, and he was phenomenal. Seemed like a good dealer in general. Worth the ~4 hour drive from my local area both times!
Appreciate 0