bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

12-18-2022, 02:43 PM   #1
HawksG42
CE560XL Pilot
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Paint Care Products

This may not be the correct sub category to post this but I’m just curious what cleaning products you use(USA)? I have a friend that swears by Chemical Guys but even under that brand there’s a million options. I’m looking at their “Hydro” line which is all ceramic based.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 09:03 PM   #2
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Any name brand car shampoo will work fine. Chemical Guys, CarPro (my personal choice is Reset by them), Adams, Geyon, I could go on for days. Just use something that is pH neutral.

Good YouTube channels if you are really interested: Pan the Organizer, AMMO NYC, Chicago Auto Pros.
Appreciate 2
PP3121360.50
      12-19-2022, 10:52 AM   #3
HawksG42
CE560XL Pilot
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Good YouTube channels if you are really interested: Pan the Organizer, AMMO NYC, Chicago Auto Pros.
Thank you! I’ll definitely check them out.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 02:09 PM   #4
iroc86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 230i 6MT

I agree that there are many good options. The car care industry has seemed to evolve in recent years towards a more premium/boutique lineup with products for just about any scenario.

I'm a systems guy, so I gravitate towards companies that offer a full suite of products that are designed to work together. I used Meguiar's body shop / pro line for a long time and switched over to SONAX a few years ago. These days I've been experimenting with Koch-Chemie, which is about as systems-based as one can get: https://www.koch-chemie.com/us/products/productsystem
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
HawksG42
CE560XL Pilot
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc86 View Post
I agree that there are many good options. The car care industry has seemed to evolve in recent years towards a more premium/boutique lineup with products for just about any scenario.

I'm a systems guy, so I gravitate towards companies that offer a full suite of products that are designed to work together. I used Meguiar's body shop / pro line for a long time and switched over to SONAX a few years ago. These days I've been experimenting with Koch-Chemie, which is about as systems-based as one can get: https://www.koch-chemie.com/us/products/productsystem
I purchased my M240i gently used(4,000~) and whom ever owned it before put swirl marks all over the car and I tried today to remove them by hand but it looks like I need to buy a proper machine polisher. I’m half tempted to pay to have it fixed and then maintain it on my own….
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:15 PM   #6
HawksG42
CE560XL Pilot
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc86 View Post
These days I've been experimenting with Koch-Chemie, which is about as systems-based as one can get: https://www.koch-chemie.com/us/products/productsystem
Wow! These products look amazing. I’ll certainly try them. I like the color coding system.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 11:04 PM   #7
alan7467
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Sketchers

I used Chemical Guys products for years and have been pretty disappointed in their coatings. For my last two cars I’ve switched to Gyeon for almost everything. Soap, ceramic coating, and protective coatings for the ceramic layer. I’m really impressed and won’t be going back to chemical guys. Though I do still like their polish and have a ton on hand that I’ll continue to use til it’s gone.
      12-21-2022, 10:48 AM   #8
iroc86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 230i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksG42 View Post
I purchased my M240i gently used(4,000~) and whom ever owned it before put swirl marks all over the car and I tried today to remove them by hand but it looks like I need to buy a proper machine polisher. I’m half tempted to pay to have it fixed and then maintain it on my own….
That's really too bad. Sometimes you can remove swirls by hand if they're not too deep, but if the area is large, it's much easier to machine-polish the panels. If you've never used a polisher before, then paying a pro to baseline the car isn't a bad idea. Paint is generally a lot more forgiving than you might think, but it's still possible to damage the finish beyond repair if your process isn't sound (especially on edges and corners). The rule of thumb is to use the least aggressive product to get the job done, and don't overheat the panel, especially on plastic substrates.

You may reintroduce swirls depending on how you clean the car. Coatings and waxes won't help much here, but they could hide surface defects with regular applications. There are many schools of thought on wash processes. I prefer a full soapy wash and rinse compared to rinseless and waterless methods, although I've successfully used the latter, with no scratching/swirling, on cold days when I can't wash the car outside. If you use high-quality sponges, towels, and products and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 2
PP3121360.50