bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

01-10-2023, 09:27 PM   #23
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGuy View Post
I bought the same set... waiting for them to be shipped.
One of the pieces is backordered from Germany from the place I ordered from :/ who knows when I will see any of it since they want to wait and ship it all together.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 12:26 AM   #24
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Yup, both pieces came from Germany when I ordered mine back in Nov.
Appreciate 1
PNTDG42469.00
      01-28-2023, 08:17 AM   #25
bnegri10
Private
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Does anyone know the part number for the gloss carbon dash trim?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 02:30 AM   #26
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnegri10 View Post
Does anyone know the part number for the gloss carbon dash trim?
I was just looking, and I cant find dash trim part numbers anywhere for 2023 Idrive8 M3s yet. Might have to go into a dealership to look it up.

The M3 has an ambient light underlining that trim piece. I wonder if there is a way to incorporate that into a G42 if you got rid of the dash trim with the M illumination? Could be neat.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 03:22 PM   #27
Portimaoblau
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: G42 M240xi, G20 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTDG42 View Post
They do already but if you install the dash trim part you will lose the ambient light on that part. I doubt we will see an ambient light compatible carbon fiber dash trim. Since CF isnt translucent enough to overlay LEDs, I dont see how they could produce that part in CF without maybe adding some sort of window, which might look cheesy.

They did just come out with a superseding part number on that kit and dropped the price a couple hundred, which is nice. Seems to go for around $1250 ish now when the previous part number kit was just over $1400 everywhere, last I looked.
The M2 has a light strip underneath the carbon dash trim. I assume that's part of the trim itself. Do you think I can connect that light strip to the existing ambient light of my 2023 G42?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 04:48 PM   #28
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portimaoblau View Post
The M2 has a light strip underneath the carbon dash trim. I assume that's part of the trim itself. Do you think I can connect that light strip to the existing ambient light of my 2023 G42?
I have wondered myself. But the opening for that ambient light might be integrated into the dashboard itself. I need to get in a 3/4 series in real life and see. It doesn't look like that lights location is integrated to the trim part we can buy, but I could very easily be wrong about that. If its not the dashboard itself, surely the retrofit can be made. You might have to splice it into a different ambient LED wire lead... it depends on if the color control for that dash ambient is disabled with M Illumination option or if the LED used for it is just ignoring the color control and staying steady. But step one is to see if that ambient light is entirely integrated into trim pieces removable from the dash or if it needs a different dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 11:33 PM   #29
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I attempted this installation today. My experience was mildly unpleasant.

LOL. So, When you lift up on the rear end of the console cover, the front immediately begins to pivot down. I had the aluminum rhombical covered console, which turns out is an actual piece of aluminum with a pretty rough cut edge up at the front right corner. I noticed that this was marring the aluminum side trim where it pinches together as it pivots. I can see the same marring on your photos, however yours is less intense than what I ended up with.

So I attempted to try and begin the removal at the front instead, feeling that this must be the intended technique. I was unable to get it to budge up there. Eventually I decided that I no longer care what happens to the part I am removing, and I am willing to sacrifice it for the sake of ending the fiasco before I end up scratching anything else. I just used the necessary force to remove it at sacrifice to itself, and let it break apart in the front. This worked with no further damage to the rest of the interior parts, but the original marring on the side trim I believe will be visible after the new part is installed, and that is going to bug me. I now believe that the intended removal technique is possibly to remove the side trims *first*, so that they are out of the way entirely. If I have to do it again, that is what I will attempt, to prevent that pinch in that corner.

I started figuring I should order the M Performance knee pads which will replace that part as well. When I came in here to look at your photos for signs of the same damage I inflicted to that trim, I noticed that your blue with contrast stitching interior HAS knee pads already, to accommodate that section of blue stitch. I never realized that before. My Tacora red interior has no knee pad at all there, its a slim hard piece of plastic. So now I want the new knee pads anyway.

Guess I will be driving around without a center console cover for a couple weeks!
Attached Images

Last edited by PNTDG42; 02-19-2023 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 12:37 AM   #30
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Something else interesting I have discovered in reading and staring at photos. Your side trims are not only padded where mine are not, but yours are actually taller as well. In your car, the cupholder lid is inset lower than the aluminum trims to it's sides. Mine, the cupholder lid is flush to the aluminum trim. It appears the cars with knee pads also have a different shape to that trim. The shape is much more appealing in yours. So, another reason for me to just go ahead and order the M Performance ones. Just ordered. I also just pulled out the side trims and they come out very easily.

I attached a photo someone else posted in the i4 group showing what my sides are like compared to the M performance one with knee pads. I believe yours are shaped like the M Performance version just with the black sensatec and blue stitch. Cool stuff.

I hope you dont mind me littering your thread with this stuff. I thought it might be of interest to some people doing the interior retrofits you're doing.
Attached Images

Last edited by PNTDG42; 02-19-2023 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 3
Rag9000124.50
Nate48150.00
      02-20-2023, 11:11 AM   #31
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
I attempted this installation today. My experience was mildly unpleasant.

LOL. So, When you lift up on the rear end of the console cover, the front immediately begins to pivot down. I had the aluminum rhombical covered console, which turns out is an actual piece of aluminum with a pretty rough cut edge up at the front right corner. I noticed that this was marring the aluminum side trim where it pinches together as it pivots. I can see the same marring on your photos, however yours is less intense than what I ended up with.

So I attempted to try and begin the removal at the front instead, feeling that this must be the intended technique. I was unable to get it to budge up there. Eventually I decided that I no longer care what happens to the part I am removing, and I am willing to sacrifice it for the sake of ending the fiasco before I end up scratching anything else. I just used the necessary force to remove it at sacrifice to itself, and let it break apart in the front. This worked with no further damage to the rest of the interior parts, but the original marring on the side trim I believe will be visible after the new part is installed, and that is going to bug me. I now believe that the intended removal technique is possibly to remove the side trims *first*, so that they are out of the way entirely. If I have to do it again, that is what I will attempt, to prevent that pinch in that corner.

I started figuring I should order the M Performance knee pads which will replace that part as well. When I came in here to look at your photos for signs of the same [...]
Oh dear! That’s awful. She will be fixed soon! This was my fear so I went with the overlay pieces.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 02:19 PM   #32
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Garage List
Quote:

I started figuring I should order the M Performance knee pads which will replace that part as well. When I came in here to look at your photos for signs of the same damage I inflicted to that trim, I noticed that your blue with contrast stitching interior HAS knee pads already, to accommodate that section of blue stitch. I never realized that before. My Tacora red interior has no knee pad at all there, its a slim hard piece of plastic. So now I want the new knee pads anyway.
The upgraded leather option added these. Most people would never realize it when ordering as I don't think its mentioned anywhere when you select the option.
Appreciate 1
PNTDG42469.00
      02-20-2023, 02:21 PM   #33
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
Oh dear! That’s awful. She will be fixed soon! This was my fear so I went with the overlay pieces.
I think it’s very preventable, if just requires the foresight. I believe that panel can be removed without marring the knee pads aluminum bezel/trim. Either through a different technique, maybe removing the side trim first, or possibly even just wedging a piece of cardboard in there first would do it. I didn’t really think too much about it before hand and just followed several different online sources that were starting with lifting at the rear and nobody mentioned the way that corner digs in when you do that.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 02:25 PM   #34
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
The upgraded leather option added these. Most people would never realize it when ordering as I don't think its mentioned anywhere when you select the option.
The Tacora red with contrast stiching is a Vernasca “upgrade”. In the online configurator it shows having black knee pads. But the car did not deliver with them :shrug: Actually I just realized that the configurator rendering shows knee pads for all selections lol
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 04:18 PM   #35
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Garage List
Quote:
The Tacora red with contrast stiching is a Vernasca “upgrade”. In the online configurator it shows having black knee pads. But the car did not deliver with them :shrug: Actually I just realized that the configurator rendering shows knee pads for all selections lol
Odd, I wonder why some were delivered without them.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 09:20 PM   #36
orionstudt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
Odd, I wonder why some were delivered without them.
AFAIK only the black vernasca with blue contrast stitching comes with the leather knee pads.
Appreciate 2
KJ10498.50
Nate48150.00