bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior, Interior, Lighting)

08-01-2022, 11:19 AM   #1
Autobahn SoCal
Performance Driving Coach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (G87)

Garage List
M illumination interior lighting

Anyone know if this can be added after the fact or only factory? The light screen looks the same so I'm thinking it may be a software thing.

https://www.youtube.com/autobahnsocal
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 06:03 PM   #2
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i x Mercedes CLS550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awtobahn View Post
Anyone know if this can be added after the fact or only factory? The light screen looks the same so I'm thinking it may be a software thing.
The plastic is colored so part would need to be replaced https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=14

Pics and video here
'22 M240i BSM, Shadowline, Black 791M wheels, Red Calipers, ///M Carbon Front Lip, ///M Carbon Spoiler, ///MCarbon Door Sills, Milltek Catback w/Black Tips, Dinan Carbon Intake/Engine Cover, AA Catted DP, Dalher Valve Controller, OEM+ Strut Bar, Red Start/Stop, Floating center caps, TLG Mud Flaps, Black Badges, Led Projectors, 50th Emblems, Carbon Diffuser/Mirrors w/smoke signals/Side Wings/Cooling Shroud/KIES fire extinguisher, Yellow DRL
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2022, 06:21 PM   #3
Autobahn SoCal
Performance Driving Coach
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 (G87)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudumonkey25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awtobahn View Post
The plastic is colored so part would need to be replaced https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28539039&postcount=14

Pics and video here
Thanks!

After reading that post I'm sticking with my standard lights.

https://www.youtube.com/autobahnsocal
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 12:12 AM   #4
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Has anyone figured out if the M color lights can be swapped out? I have an M2 on order and it's the only option. I really prefer the non-m color door panels.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 03:32 AM   #5
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G42, F97 LCI, EBA R35, Z34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx-7ames View Post
Has anyone figured out if the M color lights can be swapped out? I have an M2 on order and it's the only option. I really prefer the non-m color door panels.
I have a removed G42 door panel with M illumination on it sitting right next to me. The large housing that has the M illumination portion of the door panel looks like its all plastic welded or otherwise melted together and I dont see a practical way to remove it. Thus I doubt the parts are available for purchase either. That is of course unless you purchase entirely new door panels without the M illumination.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 08:30 AM   #6
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTDG42 View Post
I have a removed G42 door panel with M illumination on it sitting right next to me. The large housing that has the M illumination portion of the door panel looks like its all plastic welded or otherwise melted together and I dont see a practical way to remove it. Thus I doubt the parts are available for purchase either. That is of course unless you purchase entirely new door panels without the M illumination.
Thanks. In that case I guess it would be an entire door panel swap. Maybe I'll be able to find someone who wants to trade. Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 02:03 PM   #7
Value
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
They do sell the non M lights for the door panel,I was going to swap mine out,I reached out to bmw and they gave me a price and part #. With that being said, Not sure how the hell they can be swapped out if it’s plastic welded together lol

Can you snap some pictures of it?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 02:35 PM   #8
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Value View Post
They do sell the non M lights for the door panel,I was going to swap mine out,I reached out to bmw and they gave me a price and part #. With that being said, Not sure how the hell they can be swapped out if it’s plastic welded together lol

Can you snap some pictures of it?
There are 5 snap points you could release. There are 3 sort of dowels that guide/align before the 5 snaps click in. But the trouble I see is these 4 round points where it appears a hot iron of some sort was pressed down to firm it all up.

Of course, if you’re handy, you can work around this. The center of those round spots looks like it could accommodate a carefully applied self tapping screw and washer, if someone had cut off the molten ring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 01:10 AM   #9
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
There are 5 snap points you could release. There are 3 sort of dowels that guide/align before the 5 snaps click in. But the trouble I see is these 4 round points where it appears a hot iron of some sort was pressed down to firm it all up.

Of course, if you’re handy, you can work around this. The center of those round spots looks like it could accommodate a carefully applied self tapping screw and washer, if someone had cut off the molten ring.
Is this the non-m color door? Is there a part number in that tag?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 01:13 AM   #10
PNTDG42
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Is this the non-m color door? Is there a part number in that tag?
It is M illumination
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 12:19 PM   #11
Value
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:

I see exactly what you were referring to. I appreciate the pictures! I’m going to order the parts and see if I can figure out a way to get it done. Thanks brother
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 09:58 AM   #12
orionstudt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
I placed my order on 2/6/2023 without the M illuminated trim and it went through without issue. Also the builder on their website (USA) now allows you to build a 2023 M240i without it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:03 AM   #13
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionstudt View Post
I placed my order on 2/6/2023 without the M illuminated trim and it went through without issue. Also the builder on their website (USA) now allows you to build a 2023 M240i without it.
That's good news for the M240 folks but there isn't an option with the M2. It's standard.
Appreciate 0