10-07-2022, 08:58 AM   #89
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
So no one ever has a backup phone? Do you actually get frisked on the way in?
Not sure there's much point in other pictures of a camera phone just now…we've basically had them for a few weeks already and now may as well await glossy release brochure pics next week.
      10-07-2022, 09:12 AM   #90
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i M-Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Thanks for the unbiased update HiFi. It's important to bring more facts and less conjecture in light of the past two weeks. Generally, the car is a vast departure from BMW's past design language for the M2. The car lacks finesse and refinement, attention to small details impact the overall appearance. Lack of front fender side treatments, common to most M2's makes for a very plain and underwhelming side profile, poor parking sensor location seem like an after-thought, the bulky brutalist language, while unique, vastly breaks from its predecessors and that ass; Christ!

The rear is this car's Achilles' heal, it's odd angular and sharp styling gives the car a boy-racer appearance, rather than a more mature imposing and menacing look. It's like BMW ran out of time and made many decisions in haste without considering the vehicle stance from every angle. While I am sure the car's appearance will grow on many of us, this M2 will not win many beauty contests. A sad thing to say for the halo car of a well loved series.

Performance does not trump all. For $70k plus, this small two door coupe should also have best in-class looks. We all want to turn around and wince at her with pride and joy. It should look good from every damn angle.

Who knows, maybe the car in other colors may impress. The reveal blue is definitely not complimentary.
IM2C2066.50
      10-07-2022, 09:19 AM   #91
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoy View Post
Thanks for the unbiased update HiFi. It's important to bring more facts and less conjecture in light of the past two weeks. Generally, the car is a vast departure from BMW's past design language for the M2. The car lacks finesse and refinement, attention to small details impact the overall appearance. Lack of front fender side treatments, common to most M2's makes for a very plain and underwhelming side profile, poor parking sensor location seem like an after-thought, the bulky brutalist language, while unique, vastly breaks from its predecessors and that ass; Christ!

The rear is this car's Achilles' heal, it's odd angular and sharp styling gives the car a boy-racer appearance, rather than a more mature imposing and menacing look. It's like BMW ran out of time and made many decisions in haste without considering the vehicle stance from every angle. While I am sure the car's appearance will grow on many of us, this M2 will not win many beauty contests. A sad thing to say for the halo car of a well loved series.

Performance does not trump all. For $70k plus, this small two door coupe should also have best in-class looks. We all want to turn around and wince at her with pride and joy. It should look good from every damn angle.

Who knows, maybe the car in other colors may impress. The reveal blue is definitely not complimentary.
You saw it in person also?
Appreciate 2
Game7408.50
E66er117.50
      10-07-2022, 09:20 AM   #92
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:

Well said. Absent anything not known or seen at this point at launch, I'm pretty sure I'm in the "wait and hope for LCI" camp, sadly.
      10-07-2022, 09:23 AM   #93
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Please dont take as confirmation, but:
- Zandvoort Blue
- Toronto Red
- Brooklyn Grey
- Black Sapphire Metallic
- Alpine White
If this turns out to be a reality with no individual paint option I will more than likely delay. Not all to happy about this whatsoever.

Another option would be to follow through with an order with zero plan to kept and flip it, but the global economy will probably be in the toilet by then.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:25 AM   #94
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

I will be getting Toronto Red. There's no point in delaying. With how hard allocations are to come by and the resale values on these, I have no problem with getting a launch m2 and then let's say individual / LCI comes out later I will simply trade in for the same price I paid for and spec a new one

no brainer really
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #95
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

I absolutely despise the taillights on the new m240i and it looks/sounds like those extra blocky add ons at least improve the look of the taillight shapes. Not sure if that will be a majority opinion though…seems like most people will hate the blocky add ons more than the taillights
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #96
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4boost View Post
Thanks for continuing to engage here! I'm third at my dealer in Tennessee. Can't wait to see this thing.
You must be deposited at Grayson? I have heard that they currently only have three inline. Surprising, but they are doing a $5k ADM on all new M vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #97
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
Quote:

As a Designer myself, we work in the virtual world, study models in 3D, concept renderings, way before a prototype is developed or in my case, a building is erected. Scale, proportion, color, lighting, etc., all can be studied and refined before a physical model is made. I don't need to see the car in person to use design principals to establish an opinion.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there are certain design constructs that all fine art follows; balance, scale, proportion, etc. This new M2 lacks some of these basics tenets. It's not to say all is bad, just needs further refinement.

When I finally see the car in person, these shortcoming won't change. Not saying it won't look better in other colors that may "conceal" it's shortcomings.
Turbodu07185.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
      10-07-2022, 09:33 AM   #98
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
3630 lbs would be less than many were expecting and a positive development. Thanks for your insights!
Still a very heavy car compared to the outgoing model, that's in manual form too. I had an F87 LCI (non-comp) with the DCT. It was ~3400lbs I believe so gaining 263lbs or so is a lot.

Hopefully it looks bettwr in person, but it's not going to away me away from my current car at all.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #99
S4boost
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan Maxima

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
You must be deposited at Grayson? I have heard that they currently only have three inline. Surprising, but they are doing a $5k ADM on all new M vehicles.
Nashville
Appreciate 1
T_U_D6679.50
      10-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #100
StickyPickle
Captain
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethhboii View Post
I planned on doing Brooklyn Grey unless Isle of Man was somehow offered.

Super stoked! Can wait to see what Carbon bits will look like on the car as well! I plan on doing CF buckets and the Roof as well!
I was holding out hope for IOMG, Dravit or Mineral White but looks like I'm jumping on the BG train too and not too excited about it. Not a bad color but it will be a very common color for this car as it seems to be for a lot of BMWs these days
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:36 AM   #101
Sethhboii
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyPickle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethhboii View Post
I planned on doing Brooklyn Grey unless Isle of Man was somehow offered.

Super stoked! Can wait to see what Carbon bits will look like on the car as well! I plan on doing CF buckets and the Roof as well!
I was holding out hope for IOMG, Dravit or Mineral White but looks like I'm jumping on the BG train too and not too excited about it. Not a bad color but it will be a very common color for this car as it seems to be for a lot of BMWs these days
Worse case scenario, I wrap the car. I love BG though as I was going to order a G82 in it as my backup color… I'm to poor lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #102
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Still a very heavy car compared to the outgoing model, that's in manual form too. I had an F87 LCI (non-comp) with the DCT. It was ~3400lbs I believe so gaining 263lbs or so is a lot.

Hopefully it looks bettwr in person, but it's not going to away me away from my current car at all.
Did you actually weight your car because I did weight my LCI M2 DCT once and it was in the 3550-3600 range with fuel.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #103
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As a Designer myself, we work in the virtual world, study models in 3D, concept renderings, way before a prototype is developed or in my case, a building is erected. Scale, proportion, color, lighting, etc., all can be studied and refined before a physical model is made. I don't need to see the car in person to use design principals to establish an opinion.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there are certain design constructs that all art fine follows; balance, scale, proportion, etc. This new M2 lacks these basics tenets. It's not to say all is bad, just lacks refinement.

When I finally see the car in person, these shortcoming won't change. Not saying it won't look better in other colors that may "conceal" it's shortcomings.
Not saying you won't be wrong, but pretty sure this car was put together by a designer also…

It doesn't take a designer to see that this cars proportjon, scale and spacing of design elements are atypical, but it's possible it comes together better than we imagine.

I guess I'll find out in a few days along with everyone else
Appreciate 4
heavyD^23688.50
E66er117.50
      10-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #104
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Did you actually weight your car because I did weight my LCI M2 DCT once and it was in the 3550-3600 range with fuel.
Was yours a comp or non-comp? I weighed it (I'll see if I can find the ticket) and it was 3500 with fuel, but it's been a year an a half since I had the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #105
jkap27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Quote:
I was going to say the same thing…I think he said non comp though so it comes down to what outgoing means lol I’d say the comp is outgoing since you couldn’t even get a non comp by that point
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #106
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Headlights and rear are the low point of the design for sure. Rest looks ok, will probably look way better from lower angles when you see the width of the car. All the pictures are from up high, that doesn’t help any car. Colors suck though. Wait 2 years for better colors and comp package and what not.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:53 AM   #107
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there are certain design constructs that all art fine follows; balance, scale, proportion, etc. This new M2 lacks these basics tenets. It's not to say all is bad, just lacks refinement.

Not saying you won't be wrong, but pretty sure this car was put together by a designer also…

It doesn't take a designer to see that this cars proportjon, scale and spacing of design elements are atypical, but it's possible it comes together better than we imagine.

I guess I'll find out in a few days along with everyone else
Absolutely right, but believe me there are plenty of ugly buildings and ugly cars…all designed by Designers lol
specka71.00
Turbodu07185.00
      10-07-2022, 09:55 AM   #108
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Was yours a comp or non-comp? I weighed it (I'll see if I can find the ticket) and it was 3500 with fuel, but it's been a year an a half since I had the car.
Non-Comp also 2018.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #109
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Non-Comp also 2018.
Maybe it depends on the options too? I'm sure dey weihht was a bit less. 3600 was the comp weight so I'd be surprised if some were that heavy in non-comp form. Every option counts though. I'll have to weigh my current car, but per Porsche it should be around 3240lbs
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 10:01 AM   #110
PLF69
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Maybe it depends on the options too? I'm sure dey weihht was a bit less. 3600 was the comp weight so I'd be surprised if some were that heavy in non-comp form. Every option counts though. I'll have to weigh my current car, but per Porsche it should be around 3240lbs
Maybe your right, I know my friend with is Manual 2017 M2 was closer to the 3500 mark than mine.

I'll ask him if he recalls the exact weight.
Appreciate 0