home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-30-2024, 10:07 AM   #1
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM M2

HAS vs coilover

I've been considering options for a bit now, reading as much as I can, and was pretty interested in an MCS setup with some SPL parts. I wanted to do it "right", and not cheap out and end up with a car I enjoyed looking at more but driving it less. I got some quotes from Bimmerworld for the parts, then talked to a local shop who seems competent for the install (Bimmerworld is nowhere near, I just saw some videos they put up on YT about the MCS stuff). This shop builds race cars, they race cars themselves, they are well reviewed, they have a lot of BMW experience including with the G platform, so I trust them.

I chatted with the owner, and went over what I was considering, how I use the car, etc., and he said he'd be happy to sell and setup that MCS/SPL suspension, but he wouldn't recommend it. If I were tracking it 10-15 days a year, he'd feel different, but for what is essentially a fast road car, he thinks it's overkill and might be worse than a relatively simple HAS kit with a few other bits to align the car well after (camber plates, toe links). I'm looking at a modest drop (maybe 1.25"), he said the geometry with the factory arms isn't going to be outside of it's operating range there and doesn't have bump steer concerns at that height, and some of the spherical bushings on the SPL parts will need regular maintenance and may introduce unpleasant NVH. He said most of the HAS kits are not going to overly stress the stock dampers, either.

I'm inclined to trust what he says since he is essentially losing money with this advice. I'd like an aesthetic improvement without ruining ride and handling. The car already has great grip, but a subjective improvement like a sharper front end would be nice. Is a properly setup HAS kit and alignment going to meet those needs? FWIW, he's installed MP, KW, and MSS kits on G-series cars, and he said there's not much difference between them. If I do go HAS, I think the one I've heard the most consistent praise for is the H&R VTF, so I'm leaning that way. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 10:28 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I use HAS kits for daily drivers and coilovers for track cars.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2024, 02:02 PM   #3
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdem View Post
I've been considering options for a bit now, reading as much as I can, and was pretty interested in an MCS setup with some SPL parts. I wanted to do it "right", and not cheap out and end up with a car I enjoyed looking at more but driving it less. I got some quotes from Bimmerworld for the parts, then talked to a local shop who seems competent for the install (Bimmerworld is nowhere near, I just saw some videos they put up on YT about the MCS stuff). This shop builds race cars, they race cars themselves, they are well reviewed, they have a lot of BMW experience including with the G platform, so I trust them.

I chatted with the owner, and went over what I was considering, how I use the car, etc., and he said he'd be happy to sell and setup that MCS/SPL suspension, but he wouldn't recommend it. If I were tracking it 10-15 days a year, he'd feel different, but for what is essentially a fast road car, he thinks it's overkill and might be worse than a relatively simple HAS kit with a few other bits to align the car well after (camber plates, toe links). I'm looking at a modest drop (maybe 1.25"), he said the geometry with the factory arms isn't going to be outside of it's operating range there and doesn't have bump steer concerns at that height, and some of the spherical bushings on the SPL parts will need regular maintenance and may introduce unpleasant NVH. He said most of the HAS kits are not going to overly stress the stock dampers, either.

I'm inclined to trust what he says since he is essentially losing money with this advice. I'd like an aesthetic improvement without ruining ride and handling. The car already has great grip, but a subjective improvement like a sharper front end would be nice. Is a properly setup HAS kit and alignment going to meet those needs? FWIW, he's installed MP, KW, and MSS kits on G-series cars, and he said there's not much difference between them. If I do go HAS, I think the one I've heard the most consistent praise for is the H&R VTF, so I'm leaning that way. Thoughts?
Bimmerworld is giving solid advice, this is how you know you're getting a tuner vs a salesman.

What is your end goal? Are you looking for a simple and street setup, or a weekend warrior? Do you plan on seeing any track time? A series of questions will be asked to make sure you get into the proper setup, rather than just pointing you to something that's in stock/easy to sell.

Stick with what BW is telling you, or if you are looking to get a 2nd opinion - feel free to PM me directly.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
vranko53.00
      04-30-2024, 08:55 PM   #4
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

Bimmerworld is awesome and will give great advice.

If you track then coilovers are the way to go. Coilovers shaved more time off my lap than any other mod (except maybe tires). The control is night and day. I just went full SPL so I am excited to see what improvements that brings.
TBH if you rarely track your car then would pass on the coilovers.
      04-30-2024, 09:38 PM   #5
LeggoRacing
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Solid advice and what others have said. I will add that a proper coilover setup can ride really well on the street. Who knows, you may do one track days and become addicted
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 06:25 AM   #6
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

My initial impressions are the stock suspension on this car is very good, handles bumps especially well and breathes nicely with the road. I will ultimately go MCS as I track a lot. Personally if your going HAS I wouldn’t drop too much, as even with shorter bump stops you end up reducing the suspension travel too much if you go overly low. I would also consider spending the extra for Ohlins R&T as you are spending the money on install, and for the extra money over a HAS kit you are getting a real damper upgrade.
Appreciate 1
vranko53.00
      05-01-2024, 08:13 AM   #7
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep

This car will rarely see track time, if ever. I don't plan on slamming it either, my driveway approach will see to that. Looking at a 30mm drop, I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 10:28 AM   #8
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
This car will rarely see track time, if ever. I don't plan on slamming it either, my driveway approach will see to that. Looking at a 30mm drop, I think.
Then keep the stock EDC shocks and use a quality set of HAS like KW. You're losing a really outstanding suspension system by replacing shocks that can be adjusted by a press of a button. There is a noticeable difference between comfort and sport in the G series platform. I really like the KW HAS because its so compliant in comfort and so stiff and glued in sport. You're paying so much just to be losing so much by changing out the entire suspension just to drive your car to Target.
If you were tracking the car, I would still do the KW HAS. If you were to turn this car into a race car with the goal of chasing seconds or winning races, then by all means, get something that makes sense like a quality coilover system designed for racing.
      05-01-2024, 11:13 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I would get adjustable springs in this case, my go-to is H&R VTF

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:46 AM   #10
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 12:07 PM   #11
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPD View Post
Bimmerworld is awesome and will give great advice.

If you track then coilovers are the way to go. Coilovers shaved more time off my lap than any other mod (except maybe tires). The control is night and day. I just went full SPL so I am excited to see what improvements that brings.
TBH if you rarely track your car then would pass on the coilovers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Then keep the stock EDC shocks and use a quality set of HAS like KW. You're losing a really outstanding suspension system by replacing shocks that can be adjusted by a press of a button. There is a noticeable difference between comfort and sport in the G series platform. I really like the KW HAS because its so compliant in comfort and so stiff and glued in sport. You're paying so much just to be losing so much by changing out the entire suspension just to drive your car to Target.
If you were tracking the car, I would still do the KW HAS. If you were to turn this car into a race car with the goal of chasing seconds or winning races, then by all means, get something that makes sense like a quality coilover system designed for racing.
Both good points, although I wouldn't label all coilovers in the "racing" category. Companies like Ohlins JRZ, Moton and Nitron all have entry level/street kits designed for street, but will still take a little track abuse.

The Ohlins R&T might be the most popular of the brands for the street, but with any coilover setup - you will lose any ability to change dampening settings from the driver's seat, as all control is via the adjustment knobs on the coilover itself, which the exception of Nitron, who is final testing their fully integrated elec-TRON setup which is fully integrated with EDC. With the handling will be a night and day difference over stock.

A HAS kit will never outperform a properly setup coilover kit, but if you have no plans on using the full potential of what coilovers can do, there's no use in spending the additional money, get the HAS instead.

In a nutshell, this is probably the same along the lines of what BW told you. I would go a slightly different route and install a set of Millway Street Front Tension Strut/Thrust Arm Bushings and incrementally see how you like the performance feel and decide if you want to step into a HAS or make the full leap into a coilover setup afterwards.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 12:49 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

What HAS needs to address is damping. However, if you think your car has excellent grip, you don't want to ruin that.

You can increase the front-tracking/steering sharpness with SPL tension rod bushings. More rebound damping can also do that, but you will need coilovers or adjustable dampers.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 08:06 AM   #13
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
What HAS needs to address is damping. However, if you think your car has excellent grip, you don't want to ruin that.

You can increase the front-tracking/steering sharpness with SPL tension rod bushings. More rebound damping can also do that, but you will need coilovers or adjustable dampers.
There's so many bushings and bearings people try out on these cars it's hard to keep them straight. Tension rod bushing, thrust arm bearing, upper monoball, sway bar end link, toe link, it goes on and on. Can you give me a rundown on what the consensus is on all these bits, what they do, whether they're worth it, what the compromises are, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 11:46 AM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
There's so many bushings and bearings people try out on these cars it's hard to keep them straight. Tension rod bushing, thrust arm bearing, upper monoball, sway bar end link, toe link, it goes on and on. Can you give me a rundown on what the consensus is on all these bits, what they do, whether they're worth it, what the compromises are, etc.?
Just the thrust arm upgrade for the front end will do. The lower control arm bushing already has a bearing from the factory. The thrust arm controls the fore and aft movement of the front suspension. It is especially stressed under heavy braking and cornering. Upgrade this bushing will give you sharper steering response and better front end stability under heavy braking.

https://www.hpashop.com/search?type=...t&q=SPL+TR+G8X

I think you said you are still on stock suspension. There is no need for any other links until after you have a proper set of coilovers on the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 01:07 PM   #15
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
As said in my earlier post, the Millway Street Front Tension Strut/Thrust Arm Bushings are probably the most noticeable "1st mod" you can do on a stock suspension.

BMW does a pretty fine job on these platforms out of the box, but there are still a few areas that can be improved upon.

Appreciate 0