BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

12-16-2023, 10:40 PM   #1
Rep
Drives: 600LT, C6 ZR1, G87 M2

Was my new (to me) M2 tracked / abused?

I just bought a G87 M2 from a used car dealer in Washington. I live in PA. I bought it from across the country because I was set on a black manual car with the carbon package. An idiot rear ended me and totaled my F87 M2C and I didn't have the luxury of waiting on an allocation. After 2 deals fell through on new cars, I settled on a used one with 2800 miles.

After receiving it yesterday, I was shocked by the paint condition of a car with <3k miles. When I noticed the paint defects in a video walkaround prior to purchasing the car, the dealer claimed it was dirt and would clean up. I guess the joke is on me and lesson learned that a PDI is worth every penny.

What concerns me most is that the "from factory" MPG indicator is 11.7mpg. I have driven the car 3 times since delivery. All 3 drives were very spirited drives exclusively on back roads and in Sport+ with multiple WOT runs, and my drives averaged 14mpg. If the car has averaged 11.7mpg total since new (and approx. half of the miles should have been break in), wouldn't that suggest that the car was tracked heavily? I just can't conceive of any other way the average MPG would be so low and was wondering what others have averaged. I tried and failed to get a drive with that low of an average MPG on public roads.

The car had just under 2800 miles when I received it yesterday and when I start the car, a message comes up saying service was due 30 miles ago. Does this mean the initial break in service wasn't done?

Edit: Added picture of curbed wheel that wasn't disclosed either. Dealer couldn't even be bothered to put on missing valve stem caps.
Attached Images

Last edited by 335; 12-17-2023 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2023, 11:00 PM   #2
Bearded-Driver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (G87) and X3m40i

I would check the M drift analyzer to see if anyone had too much fun with it and didnt reset the infotainment.

make sure the break-in service was done. and how bad is the paint issues are they all deep scratches?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 11:31 PM   #3
Rep
Drives: 600LT, C6 ZR1, G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded-Driver View Post
I would check the M drift analyzer to see if anyone had too much fun with it and didnt reset the infotainment.

make sure the break-in service was done. and how bad is the paint issues are they all deep scratches?
Thanks, just checked drift analyzer. Nothing is stored.

A message comes up when I start the car saying service was due 30 miles ago. Not sure if that means break-in service was missed. Will take to dealer to check.

The paint issues in the pictures are pretty deep scratches. The car is freshly washed. Very disappointed with this dealer. Going to have my detailer look at it to see what can be polished out, but I will likely have to have those panels repainted if I'm not able to unwind this deal (unlikely).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 04:50 AM   #4
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Sorry you joined the forum too late. Best of luck in finding resolution.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 05:22 AM   #5
Lawsoc
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

In the past I’ve refused to take a 6 month old low milaege BMW at handover due paint issues ( littered in stone chips ) , the dealership were certainly not happy as they had added M performance parts to the car. My mpg since factory is 26 but I’m still running car in and haven’t been in sports +
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2023, 05:26 AM   #6
m34door
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i, 2021 x5 msport, 2

Tough situation
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 06:58 AM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
My from factory mpg is 24.2 mpg and I have just over 3,000 miles. I am mostly commuting or taking road trips though.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 07:27 AM   #8
Shadak
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

wow 11.7 seems pretty crazy... mine is 22-24 from factory and I enjoy the revs almost every drive, plus some slow traffic when commuting.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 07:50 AM   #9
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

The paint issues should've been very obvious in photos or video walk around of the vehicle prior to purchase. Regarding the message about service due, what service does it say is due? The messages on mine specified that the "break-in service is due is xx miles". You can also see what services are due in the My BMW app.

Unfortunately, it looks like you jumped the gun on the purchase without doing your due diligence. Unless the selling dealer deliberately misrepresented the vehicle, it's on you.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.

Last edited by JABCAT; 12-17-2023 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 3
      12-17-2023, 08:30 AM   #10
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

When you say the scratches are pretty deep, what do you mean? Will your fingernail catch in them? They mostly don't look that bad to me, although I'm curious how they got there. Anyway, if you can't catch a nail in them, then it can be made to look new by somebody who knows what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 08:38 AM   #11
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

You have to think about the circumstances that would land a relatively new enthusiast car like this at a "used car dealership." They likely aren't good.

It's too hard to know how the car was previously driven, and you might drive yourself mad coming up with theories.

If I were you, here would be my game plan to help put my mind at ease.

1. Bring the car to a BMW dealership for a mechanical inspection.
2. Get a quote from a BMW authorized body shop to correct the paint. Paint work like this is surprisingly cheap, in my experience. Also, it's really hard to tell from the pictures, but these might just be clear coat scratches which are very easy to correct with a polish.
3. Talk to the dealership you bought the car from. Show them the quote from the body shop. Explain that the blemishing on the paint was in fact not dirt, and that he should reimburse you for the paint work.

If the dealership isn't willing to cooperate, and you can afford it, speak to a lawyer about your options.

At the end of the day if the car is mechanically sound and you can correct the paint then you can still fully enjoy the car. It may have been tracked, but these cars are fairly tough. People buy them to track them. I don't think that's the end of the world unless the previous driver did something egregious.

Last edited by MineralGreyMetallic; 12-17-2023 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 3
      12-17-2023, 08:38 AM   #12
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

The service alert doesn't read like the running in service alert. But rather that a condition based service (CBS) is due.

For CBS to be due in just under 3K miles suggests the car was used for short trips, possibly driven in traffic too boot.

The condition of the paint suggests the car was driven on bad roads, pebbly or worst, gravel, rather than on a track. Track courses are usually pretty free of that kind of stuff.

If you suspect track time look on top of the under body panels for tire rubber debris.

Another sign of track time is extremely worn brake hardware or very new brake hardware. And extremely worn tires or very new tires.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2023, 08:38 AM   #13
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 View Post
I just bought a G87 M2 from a used car dealer in Washington. I live in PA. I bought it from across the country because I was set on a black manual car with the carbon package. An idiot rear ended me and totaled my F87 M2C and I didn't have the luxury of waiting on an allocation. After 2 deals fell through on new cars, I settled on a used one with 2800 miles.

After receiving it yesterday, I was shocked by the paint condition of a car with <3k miles. When I noticed the paint defects in a video walkaround prior to purchasing the car, the dealer claimed it was dirt and would clean up. I guess the joke is on me and lesson learned that a PDI is worth every penny.

What concerns me most is that the "from factory" MPG indicator is 11.7mpg. I have driven the car 3 times since delivery. All 3 drives were very spirited drives exclusively on back roads and in Sport+ with multiple WOT runs, and my drives averaged 14mpg. If the car has averaged 11.7mpg total since new (and approx. half of the miles should have been break in), wouldn't that suggest that the car was tracked heavily? I just can't conceive of any other way the average MPG would be so low and was wondering what others have averaged. I tried and failed to get a drive with that low of an average MPG on public roads.

The car had just under 2800 miles when I received it yesterday and when I start the car, a message comes up saying service was due 30 miles ago. Does this mean the initial break in service wasn't done?
Keep the car and trade it in for a 2025 M2 next year. The 2025 will have 20 more horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 08:58 AM   #14
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Keep the car and trade it in for a 2025 M2 next year. The 2025 will have 20 more horsepower.

Yet to be seen if it will truly be a 20hp bump or just stating what it already has (MY23 stock has been dyno'd over 470hp).

If there was something else available for the price increase (I am sure it will be at least another $1,000 price increase on starting price), plus the OPs loss in trade in value, then maybe but otherwise not sure its worth it. OP may be better off taking action against the dealership that sold the car for hiding/not disclosing material (defects?) details. One would have to review the contract with a fine toothed comb (would be best if OP had a fried who has good litigation skills/qualifications)...
Appreciate 1
aerobod3625.50
      12-17-2023, 09:36 AM   #15
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Not sure if I’d notice a 20hp bump. A 20lb.ft bump perhaps. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 09:55 AM   #16
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 View Post
You can reset fuel consumption at any time by performing a long press of the BC button and it will start gathering metrics from scratch. Could have been dealer that did the reset when prepping the vehicle. Maybe the low mpg can be attributed to transporting the car, who knows. I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 09:57 AM   #17
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BWM G87

What do the tires and brakes look like?
Appreciate 1
ToneM2148.50
      12-17-2023, 09:58 AM   #18
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
You can reset fuel consumption at any time by performing a long press of the BC button to and it will start gathering metrics from scratch. Could have been dealer that did the reset when prepping the vehicle. Maybe the low mpg can be attributed to transporting the car, who knows. I wouldn't worry about it.
How can you do that? I don’t think it’s possible to reset it. Do you have a video or step by step? I figured it’s impossible as the name implies.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 10:07 AM   #19
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
How can you do that? I don’t think it’s possible to reset it. Do you have a video or step by step? I figured it’s impossible as the name implies.
Just make sure you have the mpg showing in the cluster and then press and hold the BC button (on the left stalk) until you see ----. Refer to page 146 of the Owner's Manual.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2023, 10:11 AM   #20
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Just make sure you have the mpg showing in the cluster and then press and hold the BC button (on the left stalk) until you see ——. Refer to page 146 of the Owner's Manual.
Exactly. Page 146 is explicit. Only the values “since individual” can be reset.
I don’t think there’s a way to reset:
- values since factory
- values for this trip
- values since last refuel

And I made my peace that it makes sense they can’t reset, or it’d defeat their purpose…
Appreciate 2
aerobod3625.50
Rx-7ames1894.00
      12-17-2023, 10:15 AM   #21
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Exactly. Page 146 is explicit. Only the values “since individual” can be reset.
I don’t think there’s a way to reset:
- values since factory
- values for this trip
- values since last refuel

And I made my peace that it makes sense they can’t reset, or it’d defeat their purpose…
You can reset it, I've been doing it for years on all my BMWs. I can't find a video on a G8x but this video shows what I'm talking about.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 10:17 AM   #22
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
You can reset it, I've been doing it for years on all my BMWs. I can't find a video on a G8x but this video shows what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXWmEKGf2C8
Ok man. I won’t argue.
Appreciate 0