BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

12-18-2023, 07:42 PM   #45
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
They don’t look like the BMW pads, the backing plate is normally black for the stock pads.
I just pulled my stock pads at 1,200 mi & the backings are black. Same on my wife's X3MC. It could be the rear sensor is broken or disconnected. It's on the right rear pad.
Appreciate 2
aerobod3625.50
      12-18-2023, 07:52 PM   #46
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 View Post
Pictures attached. I can't tell if they're stock or not. Will be pulling wheels tomorrow to get a better look.

The service message I'm receiving is for rear brake pad replacement. At 2800 miles. Not a good sign. Rotors look pretty well used for <3k miles but the rear pads don't look too terrible to me, so I'm not sure why I'm getting the service prompt. Unless the previous owner put in aftermarket pads that aren't jiving with the OEM service indicator.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.
I can get a report of the cars service history so long as it was performed by BMW. PM your VIN if interested.
Appreciate 4
M2siast5876.00
aerobod3625.50
      12-18-2023, 08:07 PM   #47
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BWM G87

Is there some curb damage to the wheel in one of your pictures?

I’d probably call the previous owner if you see their name in the app and ask about the 2nd key. Try and start a conversation and see what info you can gain from the conversation. Assume positive intent…

Another option is wait till you see what your dealer says about the car then call. The rotors look suspect for “normal driving” sub 3k miles. I wonder if the light came on from them changing the pads and / or wheels and tires from visits to the track.

IIRC another key will set you back about $400 bucks.

If this is car is going to cause you undue stress just sell it and move on. Not being crass or rude I empathize with your situation.
Appreciate 4
      12-18-2023, 08:15 PM   #48
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWhite! View Post
If this is car is going to cause you undue stress just sell it and move on. Not being crass or rude I empathize with your situation.
OP this was my conclusion too after reading the thread. start with a nasty lawyer letter to the dealer and if that doesnt work, just trade it in to a reputable dealer on a new/better used G87. its hard to tell the result at this stage but im leaning towards the trade-in hit looking like a cheap mistake vs holding long term if it was beaten like a rented mule from day 1. sorry and good luck.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 10:17 PM   #49
Rep
Drives: 600LT, C6 ZR1, G87 M2

I spoke with the owner of the dealership today and received a small reimbursement and the second fob has been retrieved from the previous owner. I have decided to spec a new M2 at my dealer tomorrow and drive this one until it arrives, then trade this car in on the new one.

Thanks for all your help and insight.
Appreciate 15
      12-18-2023, 10:24 PM   #50
Rep

Quote:
Is there some curb damage to the wheel in one of your pictures?

I’d probably call the previous owner if you see their name in the app and ask about the 2nd key. Try and start a conversation and see what info you can gain from the conversation. Assume positive intent…

Another option is wait till you see what your dealer says about the car then call. The rotors look suspect for “normal driving” sub 3k miles. I wonder if the light came on from them changing the pads and / or wheels and tires from visits to the track.

IIRC another key will set you back about $400 bucks.

Yes, there is curb damage to the wheel that was undisclosed. Just found that yesterday and added the photo. The dealer tracked down the second key from the original owner and is sending to me tomorrow. Also offered a small reimbursement.

I have not taken anything you've said as crass or rude and I appreciate the help. I agree with your sentiment; I've decided to order a new M2 at my local dealer tomorrow and trade this car in on it when the new one arrives. Will keep warranty intact on this car. That way I can drive it this winter and have a car that I can enjoy but not obsess over too much.
Appreciate 5
M2siast5876.00
Giggsy130.00
ESB1048.00
      12-19-2023, 06:05 AM   #51
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Yes, there is curb damage to the wheel that was undisclosed. Just found that yesterday and added the photo. The dealer tracked down the second key from the original owner and is sending to me tomorrow. Also offered a small reimbursement.

I have not taken anything you've said as crass or rude and I appreciate the help. I agree with your sentiment; I've decided to order a new M2 at my local dealer tomorrow and trade this car in on it when the new one arrives. Will keep warranty intact on this car. That way I can drive it this winter and have a car that I can enjoy but not obsess over too much.
Nicely done!!

Whats your winter ride? "oh its another M2"
Appreciate 3
      12-19-2023, 09:02 AM   #52
Charley135
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011

Even if the car have 50% of track use, that means just 1500 miles which is not that bad, especially when you plan on driving the car hard .
But like you, i find the body dammage unacceptable. I would focus on that matter with the dealer
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 09:37 AM   #53
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley135 View Post
Even if the car have 50% of track use, that means just 1500 miles which is not that bad, especially when you plan on driving the car hard .
But like you, i find the body dammage unacceptable. I would focus on that matter with the dealer

I would be more concerned with drivetrain damage over body/cosmetic..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 09:46 AM   #54
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
I spoke with the owner of the dealership today and received a small reimbursement and the second fob has been retrieved from the previous owner. I have decided to spec a new M2 at my dealer tomorrow and drive this one until it arrives, then trade this car in on the new one.

Good choice. Been keeping up to date with this thread but not chiming in as there seemed to be only 2 options, and you picked the better of the 2 lol.

Better piece of mind and long term happiness. If you’re going to drop this much money, at least be happy and not stressed. Plus you can opt in for a 2025 come August or September as I have heard they will have more color options.

Sucks that it happened but we’ve all been there so nothing to feel bad about. Typical impulsive car enthusiast mistake that I’ve made a ton of times! Good thing you have a plan now.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 09:56 AM   #55
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Based on what you described, I would imagine this was the previous "owner." Glad you got it sorted out and getting a fresh car soon. Pretty exciting.
Attached Images

ToneM2148.50
      12-19-2023, 10:31 AM   #56
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

Quote:

We’d all appreciate a heads up when this one comes up for sale again
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2023, 11:32 AM   #57
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good call OP! I do agree with one of the other posters where you may want to consider hanging onto this one until the 2025 is available to order that’s probably just about six months from now and you can try and be the owner of one of the first ones in the states! I would only do that if you can get a commitment from the dealer but they’ll put you number one on the list at cost
Appreciate 1
DSTR1241.00
      12-19-2023, 05:35 PM   #58
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley135 View Post
I definitely find the body damage unacceptable, but like Rob said below, the signs of extremely hard driving concern me more. I can't conceive of a way that break-in was adhered to in a car with an 11.7mpg lifetime average at 2800 miles. It could have been properly and enthusiastically enjoyed on track days, or it could have had the piss thrashed out of it (and potentially on a cold engine). Just no way to know. And since I'm planning on tuning the car and voiding warranty, I just can't deal with the uncertainty. It'd drive me crazy.

I thought about going after the dealer with an attorney, but I'm too old for this shit. Don't have the time or energy to fight. I'd invest the money to fix the body if the car didn't show signs of being driven so hard. But looking at situation in totality, I think it's best just to accept the modest compensation offered and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I would be more concerned with drivetrain damage over body/cosmetic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
We’d all appreciate a heads up when this one comes up for sale again
Will do; that's the least I can do. Stay away from any track pack black manual cars in PA for the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Good choice. Been keeping up to date with this thread but not chiming in as there seemed to be only 2 options, and you picked the better of the 2 lol.

Better piece of mind and long term happiness. If you’re going to drop this much money, at least be happy and not stressed. Plus you can opt in for a 2025 come August or September as I have heard they will have more color options.

Sucks that it happened but we’ve all been there so nothing to feel bad about. Typical impulsive car enthusiast mistake that I’ve made a ton of times! Good thing you have a plan now.
Thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
Good call OP! I do agree with one of the other posters where you may want to consider hanging onto this one until the 2025 is available to order that’s probably just about six months from now and you can try and be the owner of one of the first ones in the states! I would only do that if you can get a commitment from the dealer but they’ll put you number one on the list at cost
After seeing this mentioned a couple times, I looked into the 25 MY changes. The bump in power won't affect me because I'm doing downpipes / Femto unlock / E85. Color options don't do much for me either. But I've read there might be cosmetic changes to the exterior. Can anyone confirm? Will this be LCI update already or just the power bump and frozen color options?

Also, I found out today the carbon buckets can't be ordered for the indefinite future. And the seats were the whole reason I ended up with this mess of a car in the first place. So it might be worth waiting for a '25 car and hope the seats return as an option by then.

To cap things off, I found another flaw today. Nice dent in the rear fender. And also discovered the rear tires are not the OEM Michelins with star markings. Car has standard PS4S on the rear. So I'm thinking this car was definitely a drift car or used at a driving school like someone mentioned above.
Attached Images

Last edited by 335; 12-19-2023 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 05:46 PM   #59
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

When your new car comes have the dealer swap the seats for you. Keep the carbon buckets if that’s what you want. Problem solved!
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 06:48 PM   #60
Rep

Quote:
When your new car comes have the dealer swap the seats for you. Keep the carbon buckets if that’s what you want. Problem solved!
Thanks, I'm trying! Found a dealer 20 miles away with no one in line. Next allocation is mine. They didn't want to swap the seats. Weren't sure if the swap would cause problems. I found documentation that it's doable. Going to try to persuade them tomorrow.

If that doesn't work, my I have rapport with my local dealer and can probably make it happen. Downside is they have 6 people in line for cars ahead of me. Meeting with them tomorrow to discuss.

I suppose it will be a moot point if I decide to wait for '25 MY.

This really snowballed into a clusterf*ck.
Appreciate 3
clydefrog288.50
DSTR1241.00
      12-19-2023, 06:56 PM   #61
FrankWhite!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It’s your car so if you want to swap the seats than do it. Now, if you swap the seats and then they don’t want the car used car than that’s a different issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 07:15 PM   #62
Rep

Quote:
It’s your car so if you want to swap the seats than do it. Now, if you swap the seats and then they don’t want the car used car than that’s a different issue.
The dealer doesn't want to take my car as a trade if I swap the buckets for standard seats. Reasons given were 1) they weren't sure if it would work and 2) car spec won't match the window sticker / VIN build specs. I paid cash for this car and paid the taxes on it, so I definitely need to trade so I'm not paying 6% sales tax twice.

I agree that swapping the seats is the way to go. I'll make it work somehow.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:32 PM   #63
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep
Drives: TR G87

I gotta ask, how much of a discount did you get over MSRP for this thing? In it's condition, it looks like a multi millionaire beat on it for a couple weekends like a honda civic. I'm not sure you're going to get what you expect when its time to trade it in for the brand new MY25..

If it's still possible, I think you need to heavily push for a return to the dealer. If it was misrepresented, tracked, not broken in correctly etc etc these are all grounds for returning of the vehicle. If it's a genuine headache for you (seems like it is) contact a lawyer asap and get this done.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 07:23 AM   #64
anthemavm
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Did you buy it from a BMW dealership?

I have driven the M3 and M4 at the BMW experience in Thermal that get beat up. Even with hot laps by the instructors the cars are clean on the outside and inside.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 10:01 AM   #65
Rx-7ames
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
OP may be better off taking action against the dealership that sold the car for hiding/not disclosing material (defects?) details. One would have to review the contract with a fine toothed comb (would be best if OP had a fried who has good litigation skills/qualifications)...
If the dealership allowed OP to view the car and have it inspected by a third party then it will be hard to prove the dealer hid material defects. A dealership is not required to disclose small cosmetic blemishes that are expected to be there in a used car. The law is different in every state, but I feel like a lawsuit would be a waste of time here. OP could have noticed these things before he purchased the car.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2023, 10:03 PM   #66
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Downshift View Post
I gotta ask, how much of a discount did you get over MSRP for this thing? In it's condition, it looks like a multi millionaire beat on it for a couple weekends like a honda civic. I'm not sure you're going to get what you expect when its time to trade it in for the brand new MY25..

If it's still possible, I think you need to heavily push for a return to the dealer. If it was misrepresented, tracked, not broken in correctly etc etc these are all grounds for returning of the vehicle. If it's a genuine headache for you (seems like it is) contact a lawyer asap and get this done.
I don't have any real expectations for trade-in. I know I'll lose some money. I just found an identical car (brand new '24) without the carbon buckets for sale in NY. Going in on Saturday to see about negotiating a trade. I bought this car for $3k < MSRP. I might not make out too bad. Carbon buckets can no longer be ordered and are a hot commodity. And a $500 paint correction will eliminate 90% of the blemishes.

The dealer has refunded me for some of the cosmetic flaws. As far as the signs the car was tracked, I don't think 99% of buyers would notice and the car drives great. I just don't trust it since I'm voiding warranty.

I could easily pay a lawyer to go after this guy, but given the car was explicitly sold "AS IS," it's on me for not specifically asking if the car was tracked prior to making the transaction.

If I was a decade younger, I'd pay a lawyer to make this guy's life miserable for a few months even if I knew I'd lose. The expense would be worth the satisfaction. At this point in my life (about to turn 40), I've learned to pick my battles. Best thing for me is to move on and forget about it and keep my blood pressure down.

I think I'm going to buy the new car and throw these seats in. Not quite as cool as the OEM buckets, but not far off. And as a bonus, they don't come with a codpiece.

I guess it comes down to how one values money versus stress, and I suppose I'm fortunate to be at a point where I can write off the money to save the stress.
Appreciate 4