home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

12-21-2023, 10:20 PM   #67
Rep
Drives: 600LT, C6 ZR1, G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthemavm View Post
Did you buy it from a BMW dealership?

I have driven the M3 and M4 at the BMW experience in Thermal that get beat up. Even with hot laps by the instructors the cars are clean on the outside and inside.
I did not. I bought it from a used car dealership in Washington. That was my first mistake. The guy deals in a lot of BMWs and has another G87 for sale, to it didn't raise any red flags at the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 11:58 AM   #68
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Sucks to have this experience buying used. I fell for something similar years ago when I purchased a C6 Z06 from a Chevy dealer who hunted one down for me. Found rock chips in the rear fenders and a weird metal plate under the passenger seat…..I was naive and accepted the car.

After some research realized the metal plate was a fire extinguisher mount, car was tracked heavily with low miles.
On the dyno it was down 20-30hp versus other Z06’s in our local vette club. I kept it a few years but something was always “off” with my connection to it due to feeling like I got hosed AND the valve guide failures that plagued Z06’s….knowing it was driven very hard previously with potential engine issues to come, never really bonded with it.

My advise, trade it in and buy new. Life lesson learned, get one that is yours from onset and treated how you want.
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2024, 07:47 PM   #69
rad_thundercat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Package

Man what a headache. Regarding the mpg, when I’ve gotten my car back from the dealer for scheduled maintenance, the average mpg is super low. I assume from sitting there idling

But after reading this whole post it does seem a bit fishy
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 09:31 PM   #70
gcmak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 & IS500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad_thundercat View Post
Man what a headache. Regarding the mpg, when I’ve gotten my car back from the dealer for scheduled maintenance, the average mpg is super low. I assume from sitting there idling

But after reading this whole post it does seem a bit fishy
Just a hypothetic example of what I've seen at various dealers.
Say you dropped off the car first thing in the morning and picked it up end of day, but they started working on it after lunch-time. Between all that time they likely moved/idled the car a few times, and the biggest hit to fuel economy - if the car is cold - is that they cannot perform the oil level check until the oil is properly warmed up to a certain level. So some 15+ minutes of idling may be required to do a check and then some more idling as they're moving the cars around before you pick it up.

Depending on how many total miles the average MPG is calculating off of (lifetime, last refill, trip etc.), the MPG could drop dramatically if the mileage is low. At break-in, the mileage isn't high even for lifetime.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2024, 02:39 AM   #71
keonigt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawsoc View Post
In the past I’ve refused to take a 6 month old low milaege BMW at handover due paint issues ( littered in stone chips ) , the dealership were certainly not happy as they had added M performance parts to the car. My mpg since factory is 26 but I’m still running car in and haven’t been in sports +
How are you getting such good mpg?

I’m at around 20-22mpg and I’m still breaking in.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2024, 06:46 AM   #72
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
Just a hypothetic example of what I've seen at various dealers.
Say you dropped off the car first thing in the morning and picked it up end of day, but they started working on it after lunch-time. Between all that time they likely moved/idled the car a few times, and the biggest hit to fuel economy - if the car is cold - is that they cannot perform the oil level check until the oil is properly warmed up to a certain level. So some 15+ minutes of idling may be required to do a check and then some more idling as they're moving the cars around before you pick it up.

Depending on how many total miles the average MPG is calculating off of (lifetime, last refill, trip etc.), the MPG could drop dramatically if the mileage is low. At break-in, the mileage isn't high even for lifetime.
Can confirm. I had a trip/data logger with cell phone communication (to a web site run by my employer) device in my two Porsche cars: Boxster, 996 Turbo.

Rather than book an appointment as a waiter, it was more convenient to drop off one of the cars for service and get a shuttle ride home and use my other car.

I could check the car's location and other things from my desk at work. I knew when the car was moved, to where, and engine run time.

Because the oil was supposed to be changed with the engine at or above a specific temperature the engine was allowed to idle until it was hot enough. Then after the tech had refilled the engine with the proper amount of oil -- measured by the digital readout of the oil dispensing nozzle in the service bay -- he'd start the engine and let it idle long enough to ensure the oil was up to temperature and check the oil level and confirm the digital oil level measurement system reading was right.

The Boxster oil level could only be checked with the engine off so after some run time the engine was shut off. It didn't take long with the oil hot before the level could be checked. (There was a countdown timer. If the engine had been off long enough it started counting down from 5 (seconds).) But the Turbo oil level had to be checked with the engine running.

So far my BMWs have been booked in for service with me as a waiter. I bring the car in with engine fully up to temperature. The SA gets the car into service promptly and an hour or so later I get the car back. So the engine doesn't run that much. But I'm sure if I drop a car off it will get some considerable idle time in the process of doing the service.
Appreciate 2
gcmak135.50
aerobod3625.50
      01-09-2024, 04:51 PM   #73
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 View Post
I did not. I bought it from a used car dealership in Washington. That was my first mistake. The guy deals in a lot of BMWs and has another G87 for sale, to it didn't raise any red flags at the time.
I am sorry to read this mate. This mental spiral/stress can certainly drive anyone nuts.

Have purchased cars which were tracked (heavily tracked most of its life) which has included E36 M3s, R8 V10+ and have sold my E90 M3 with almost 20K of track driving and 110K miles (all bushings/shocks/fluid/rotors etc was replaced prior to sale).

I personally doubt BMW would use a manual Performance Center car but can not isolate it out. During the PC Delivery in NC, I was told most of the cars there are Auto.

Secondly, have purchased an Audi R8 V10+ with 15K miles which was actually an Audi Performance Center vehicle (auctioned off to a dealer and then I had purchased it). It had warranty and drove well. Sold it closer to warranty expiration.

3K miles is negligible in the grand scheme of things. These cars can take a LOT of abuse (have raced them at Club Level and Amateur Level States side and internationally).

If it makes you feel better, get the brake pad coverage from BMW (the 3 year 36K mile plan which can be sold anytime before the time/mileage period). Get the paint/wheel corrected and enjoy it till closer to the warranty period.

Just my 02 cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 11:01 AM   #74
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I agree that you may want to take some time with this car - it has only 3K miles after all. The dealership can tell you about its history when you do your service visit.

I know that you want to mod the car and another option would be to keep the car as is and drive it through the summer like you stole it - since you have warranty who cares what happens. If it runs fine, proceed to modding. Maybe by the summer you can get LCI plus Carbon Buckets…..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 04:09 PM   #75
Pickle of the Turk
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 View Post
I spoke with the owner of the dealership today and received a small reimbursement and the second fob has been retrieved from the previous owner. I have decided to spec a new M2 at my dealer tomorrow and drive this one until it arrives, then trade this car in on the new one.

Thanks for all your help and insight.
Totally understand if you don't want to/can't share details, but did you end up talking with the previous owner too?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 06:18 PM   #76
IAmSpeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i (G02)

Garage List
2023 BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
Not much you can do beside giving it a great care from now on. All evidence you mentioned all points to a heavily tracked M2...
2004 Toyota Vios | 2004 BMW X3 | 2007 Chrysler Town and Country | 2007 Ford Escape | 2008 Honda CRV | 2017 Nissan Versa Note | 2017 Toyota RAV4 | 2017 Toyota Yaris iA | 2019 Porsche 911 | 2023 BMW X4 M40i
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 08:14 AM   #77
bislag
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonigt View Post
How are you getting such good mpg?

I’m at around 20-22mpg and I’m still breaking in.
Their profile says they're in the UK. The UK gallon (Imperial gallon) is 20% larger than the US gallon, which inflates their MPG numbers.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
keonigt16.50
      01-14-2024, 11:59 AM   #78
Lawsoc
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bislag View Post
Their profile says they're in the UK. The UK gallon (Imperial gallon) is 20% larger than the US gallon, which inflates their MPG numbers.
Oh yearh I’m UK 🇬🇧 didnt think of that actually, my car is also a auto - almost 900 miles now and I’m 25.5 mpg but haven’t been in sports or sports + at all much - cold and wet roads also here. Can’t wait for my service and some dry warmer temps and the mpg I’m sure will soon start plumeting
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 06:47 PM   #79
Biglife
Rep
Drives: 24 G87 M2

Hey OP, I empathize with your situation regarding the cosmetic damage; it's disappointing when the dealer falls short. Rest assured, their lack of commitment will catch up with them eventually.

Speaking from personal experience as a regular G87 M2 track enthusiast, I can attest that myself and the majority of the fellow drivers I engage with on the track prioritize upkeep and preventative maintenance. My M2 has eyes on the engine, components, fluids, underside etc much more often than the daily driver.

M cars are designed to be driven hard – it's part of their essence. So, don't let the initial worries about the first 3k miles overshadow the enjoyment of owning such a spirited vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 09:21 PM   #80
Rep

Hi all, I just wanted to post an update that the car has been sold. Within 2 days of receiving my title, I traded the car for a brand new '24 with 12 miles on the clock. It's identical spec to my first one, except this one has a heated wheel and wireless charging, which the first car lacked. I think it has every option except the carbon buckets. Looking at aftermarket options for seats, as I find the seat bases on the standard seats very lacking in lateral support when drifting / driving spirited.

I bought the first car with 2800 miles and by the time I finally received my title the car was at 42xx miles. During my ownership, the average lifetime mpg rose from 11.7 to 14.4, and I drove it pretty hard.

The dealer that I traded the car to confirmed break-in service was performed, but was quick to pick up on some of the flaws I originally noticed and the additional ones I discovered with all your help in this thread. Dealer put it in the air and said the rear alignment was tweaked to hell and also claimed the hood and trunk were resprayed, which I disagreed with. Dealer based this claim off paint meter readings, which makes no sense since the hood has PPF on it. Regardless, the service manager said it "broke his heart" to see a car with the carbon buckets and such low miles in such bad shape.

I agree with the sentiment of many on here that the motor would probably be fine, but I couldn't get over the cosmetic issues. The pictures of the paint flaws I posted here didn't do it justice. Would have taken way too much work to get it to an acceptable state. My new car is going in on Monday for paint prep, full PPF and ceramic coating.

The main point I wanted to make is to say do not buy this car unless you're prepared to deal with the issues: https://www.bmwofowingsmills.com/inv...3dm02p8d49042/ VIN: 3MF13DM02P8D49042. Pictures aren't up yet.

The same dealer that was shocked at its condition is advertising it as "excellent condition" and 1 owner, even though I was the second. Maybe the dealer will paint correct / repaint the car and fix the dent and address other issues to justify the 73k ask, maybe not. As of now, the car is listed in their "pre owned" section, not "certified pre owned." Speaks volumes on a 4k mile car.

Here is the total list of issues I found with the car:
- Aftermarket brake pads installed <2800 miles
- Brake rotor thermal cracking <2800 miles
- Rear tires replaced <2800 miles with non-OEM PS4S
- Rear brake pad wear sensor broken or disconnected
- 11.7 lifetime avg mpg at 2800 miles
- 2 curbed wheels and general poor paint condition on all wheels
- Alignment way out of whack and steering wheel off center
- Dent in passenger rear quarter panel
- Rock chips that penetrated PPF on hood down to primer
- Rock chips and scrapes on side skirts and rear quarters typical of a car with 50k+ miles
- Glazed clutch / clutch chatter
- Minor rock chips on carbon roof and some more significant ones on C-pillar area and elsewhere
- Dealer claims car was repainted, which I disagree with, but they based their conclusion on the very poor paint quality on a low mileage car
- Missing trunk and grille M2 badges
- And a minor, curious, obsessive detail: The little "M" logo in the center of the bottom spoke on the steering wheel is halfway worn off. Within the context of the above issues, it makes me wonder if maybe this was a drift car and the logo was worn off by driving gloves and lots of opposite lock.

All signs point to this car being driven right off the lot and right to track days or drifted. No conceivable way in my mind this car was properly broken in for 1200 miles and that the above symptoms developed over the remaining 1600 miles until I bought it. Caveat emptor.

At least if someone sees this and wants to pursue the car, they know what they're getting into and can negotiate accordingly. I'd advise to stay away.

Last edited by 335; 01-24-2024 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 6
      01-25-2024, 02:52 AM   #81
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

335 Someone obviously rode this car hard & put it away wet. Also wondering if someone found a way to disable to odometer... ? And yes, it can be done by removing a pin the instrument cluster / ignition area or the transmission I believe. Sorry you had to go through this crap just to get a nice M2. Whenever dealerships say a used car is in excellent condition, 95% of the time their blowing smoke & a quick 1-2 minute inspection can prove the previously owned car is anything but perfect.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2024, 05:39 AM   #82
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
What an absolute scam. This 100% deserves reporting to BMWNA. Glad this worked out for you; now get something for your time and toil (like all free maintenance).

Forums - 1, crooked dealership - 0
What is BMWNA going to do? He didn’t buy it at a BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 06:47 AM   #83
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
What is BMWNA going to do? He didn’t buy it at a BMW dealership.
Apologies, as i did not notice this. Deleted.
      01-25-2024, 07:35 AM   #84
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

Happy you moved on from this situation it will be interesting to watch the car sit or sell. Confirms dealers are shitty by nature.
How much $ did this misadventure cost in the end?
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2024, 12:46 PM   #85
1slowspec3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

wow, glad this chapter is over for you.
Its why I can never justify buying an expensive, used sports cars. Its too much money to not know how it was actually taken care of.

how much did dealer give you for trade value? Owing Mills....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 04:15 PM   #86
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
Happy you moved on from this situation it will be interesting to watch the car sit or sell. Confirms dealers are shitty by nature.
How much $ did this misadventure cost in the end?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowspec3 View Post
wow, glad this chapter is over for you.
Its why I can never justify buying an expensive, used sports cars. Its too much money to not know how it was actually taken care of.

how much did dealer give you for trade value? Owing Mills....
Thanks, feels great to finally be done with it.

Factoring in the trade-in hit and the fact that I now have to pay for full car PPF while the first car already had the front end done, loss will be into 5 figures.

Dealer made out better than I would have liked. I negotiated their initial offer up by a couple grand. Only so much I could do when there were only two cars on the east coast matching my criteria and similarly spec'd cars are usually snatched up within a week or two. Fortunately this dealer was only about an hour away.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2024, 04:22 PM   #87
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

If I see you down the road at a c&c, I’ll buy.
In the end you won.
Appreciate 2
ESB1048.00
      01-25-2024, 04:25 PM   #88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle of the Turk View Post
Totally understand if you don't want to/can't share details, but did you end up talking with the previous owner too?
I'd be happy to share details if I had any. I made up my mind pretty quickly I didn't want to keep the car, so I decided to let it go.
Appreciate 0