BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

07-21-2022, 09:41 PM   #23
Godfather2112
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Keep the M2 rwd. If you want AWD, buy the RS3. The M2 is the closest thing to resembling an E46 M3 but with more power and better handling. Sure, we can get into the small details that have taken away from being a “pure” feeling car but that’s just evolution of the times (electric PS, more weight for numerous reason, etc).

The sole reason I bought my M2 is it was the closest thing that resembled my E46 M3 but with more power. Having had highly modified Subaru STI’s that through down crazy track times and handled insanely well, there is just something that can’t be replaced by a well balanced RWD BMW (Porsche GT3 being an exception).

I just don’t understand those begging for an xdrive variant. M3 got it because in my opinion, there’s just too much power being put down. Hell, I’d argue the next gen M2 could use the same engine as prior gen but with the M3/4 CS tune.
Appreciate 4
jb00199.50
Game7397.00
///MPhatic13846.50
Germanauto9701.00
      07-21-2022, 10:28 PM   #24
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom7835 View Post
If you think the M2 needs xDrive you're better off with a 116d and a walker. Cut that out and let at least one car remain in the lineup that actually represents what BMW used to be
And you think the 2023 M2 will actually represent what BMW used to be? Let me guess, now having a manual transmission and RWD = what BMW used to be? Have we all become numb to all the other things that changed, like hydraulic vs. electric steering, naturally aspirated vs. turbo, light vs. heavy weight, all the electronics & driving nannies etc.

AWD & Auto are just two more things that most of us will be okay with when the next gen is about to come out as a hybrid. We'll be saying please leave it ICE only so it represents what BMW used to be
Soon you'll be asking for one that has a steering wheel and not self driving only, meanwhile the majority will be boasting how their self driving EV m3 gets around the ring faster than any human driver ever could.
The Ultimate Steering Machine
      07-22-2022, 02:24 AM   #25
ESB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
I seriously do not understand why anybody would be upset if BMW offered xDrive on an M2.

Who cares? It would be an OPTION. If you don't want it, don't get it! Simple.

Imagine this same argument for manual vs DCT/auto. We all know the "which is better" debates but I don't hear the 6MT crowd trying to argue that DCT/Auto shouldn't even be offered as an option.

I say this as a 6MT driver myself. If they offered xDrive I doubt I'd get it. But I wouldn't give a shit if BMW let people that want it get it. *especially* since all/most other M models offer it as an option. (I know it's not happening though)
Appreciate 7
KoenG1428.50
imOFP210.50
GuyOh1067.00
wufpak210.50
      07-22-2022, 03:28 AM   #26
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
For sure, do you think anyone who has a supercar now know how fast it goes around the ring? Maybe 0.5% at best.
It's a useless statistic that helps boost price.

Why is bmw so popular?
IMO it's the best combination of everyday comfort with performance, it gives the driver feeling of Speed and at the same time comfort when driving long distance. And for those who want to do track days, it can certainly give run for the money to heavily modified cars. And then drive home without being towed.

So autonomous driving and ev have its advantages but for those who actually enjoy driving, "used to be" concept still lives!

And to give you another perspective, classic car prices sky rocketed when more EV's started to sell.
When I read this I among other things here, now understand what's the market for the XM.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 07:14 AM   #27
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather2112 View Post
Keep the M2 rwd. If you want AWD, buy the RS3.
An M2 Xdrive wouldn't ressemble an RS3 at all in driving dynamics.

Strange that so many still seem convinced that AWD systems always have to compromise the driving dynamics. I thought that the M5/3 Xdrive made abundantly clear by now that this is not always the case.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 07:24 AM   #28
reward72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

Quote:
Keep the M2 rwd. If you want AWD, buy the RS3.
What difference would it make in your life if it xDrive was an option? Nobody will force you to take it.

I would too prefer to drive a manual RWD M2, I totally get that makes it more enjoyable, but I live in a small ski resort town with snow on the ground 6 months of the year and my house is on top of a long and steep gravel driveway. A RWD M2 would be a summer-only car for me but an AWD one I would be able to enjoy all year long. If they don't offer xDrive on the M2, I will have to compromise and buy a M240 again.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 08:51 AM   #29
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

G80/F90 xDrive can be turned off with the press of a button so the cars drive exactly like any other RWD BMW (except for the small weight penalty). It’s literally the best of both worlds. Most other brands make you buy two cars.

It’s a myth that BMW M cars are constant in any other way than the general design brief of a daily usable performance car based on the standard Series cars. M cars have always used whatever designs and technologies best help them achieve the described brief. I4, I6, V8, turbos. Manual, SMG, DCT, auto. RWD, toggle-able AWD. 2-door, 4-door, convertible, wagon.

Everyone just wants more of the same from the most recent generation since that’s what they got used to and liked and maybe even aspired to for the past 5 or so years.
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2022, 09:37 AM   #30
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The problem with an Xdrive / non xdrive option is the inevitable stop light racing that will happen... people will always expect the M2 to win every drag race on earth when we all know that's not what this car is... this car should be a light weight fun car thats tossable with classic dynamics - u know, that which no other car is anymore.

You have Xdrive options in virtually every BMW model... leave this one alone... better yet... i am not sure BMW should have even build a successor to the G87 as it no longer is a pure drivers car... its heavy, has massive amounts of tech, is auto and just doesn't fit what it once was.
      07-22-2022, 10:08 AM   #31
swampfox94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 - M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
The problem with an Xdrive / non xdrive option is the inevitable stop light racing that will happen... people will always expect the M2 to win every drag race on earth when we all know that's not what this car is... this car should be a light weight fun car thats tossable with classic dynamics - u know, that which no other car is anymore.

You have Xdrive options in virtually every BMW model... leave this one alone... better yet... i am not sure BMW should have even build a successor to the G87 as it no longer is a pure drivers car... its heavy, has massive amounts of tech, is auto and just doesn't fit what it once was.
Im with you but m2 hasn't been lightweight ever. It basically weighs the same as a mustang lol
Appreciate 1
3RDSECTOR486.50
      07-22-2022, 10:12 AM   #32
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

You actually prefer a slower accelerating car from the dig so people won't drag race it because it will lose anyway.
There is no light weight tossable car any more and now that the M2 no longer is, it's better not to have it all together.
Because there is Xdrive in my X3 diesel, I don't need it in the M2.
M2 is no longer a drivers car... Have you read reviews or driven the F90/G80? I thought that pre-production drives are rather positive about vehicle dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 10:16 AM   #33
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
I seriously do not understand why anybody would be upset if BMW offered xDrive on an M2.

Who cares? It would be an OPTION. If you don't want it, don't get it! Simple.

Imagine this same argument for manual vs DCT/auto. We all know the "which is better" debates but I don't hear the 6MT crowd trying to argue that DCT/Auto shouldn't even be offered as an option.

I say this as a 6MT driver myself. If they offered xDrive I doubt I'd get it. But I wouldn't give a shit if BMW let people that want it get it. *especially* since all/most other M models offer it as an option. (I know it's not happening though)
M2 remains pure with RWD

Want AWD get the m240

07-22-2022, 10:57 AM   #34
m3number86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
It needs the xDrive! M2 + xDrive + race gas tune
xdrive so boring lol
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16285.50
Germanauto9701.00
      07-22-2022, 10:59 AM   #35
m3number86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow m3

When did mcar drivers become a bunch of audi drivers (downgrade)?
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16285.50
Germanauto9701.00
      07-22-2022, 11:04 AM   #36
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:

You actually prefer a slower accelerating car from the dig so people won't drag race it because it will lose anyway.
There is no light weight tossable car any more and now that the M2 no longer is, it's better not to have it all together.
Because there is Xdrive in my X3 diesel, I don't need it in the M2.
M2 is no longer a drivers car... Have you read reviews or driven the F90/G80? I thought that pre-production drives are rather positive about vehicle dynamics.
Let me ask you this? What's wrong with an RS3? It can easily be track driven and drifted now...
      07-22-2022, 11:22 AM   #37
selkies
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM M2C

Thanks for posting! Tip: Turn on Captions and switch auto translate if you don't know German.

I thought it was interesting when the engineer hesitated a bit when the topic of weight was brought up around the 8:45 mark. It really makes you wonder how much heavier the new G87 M2 will be.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 11:26 AM   #38
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox94 View Post
Im with you but m2 hasn't been lightweight ever. It basically weighs the same as a mustang lol
But it hides its weight quite well.

I have both a 2017 M2 and a 1998 M3. Of COURSE the '98 is lighter. It is also less powerful (even with Dinan Stage 3 supercharging). The excellent balance and massive hp and torque make my M2 a fun, nimble, tossable hoot to drive. Much more so than my 2016 M3, even though it only weighs a couple hundred pounds less.

Fingers crossed that BMW makes the G87 even better!

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 11:35 AM   #39
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox94 View Post
But it hides its weight quite well.

I have both a 2017 M2 and a 1998 M3. Of COURSE the '98 is lighter. It is also less powerful (even with the Dinan Stage 3 supercharging). The excellent balance and massive hp and torque make my M2 a fun, nimble, tossable hoot to drive. Much more so than my 2016 M3, even though it only weighs a couple hundred pounds less.

Fingers crossed that BMW makes the G87 even better!

The guy driving in this video (Daniel Abt) is a Audi Tuner. Likely the best in Europe since ever. And he is verry impressed, how good BMW M driving dynamics are. The guy sitting next to him, is the Chief of BMW M Suspension, Dampers and stuff. He does the harmonizing, calibration etc. of every BMW M. Since years.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 11:50 AM   #40
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Personally I wouldn't mind if they did an MxDR option on the G87. The added weight would be worth having an extra addition to the driving experience. Although when I drove the F90 for a day, switching between 4-wheel drive and 2-wheel drive, I really didn't notice much difference overall, except getting out of the gate with AWD. It would really just depend on the cost because the traction on newer Ms with RWD is already so excellent at this point. To me, an MxDR option would only actually be necessary for someone who lives in a heavy weather area. Or for someone who MUST win streetlight races. If it were not too expensive of an option though I'd probably do it. But RWD is fine and dandy too.
      07-22-2022, 12:09 PM   #41
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Keep the M2 rwd. If you want AWD, buy the RS3. The M2 is the closest thing to resembling an E46 M3 but with more power and better handling.
Agreed.

Quote:
The sole reason I bought my M2 is it was the closest thing that resembled my E46 M3 but with more power. Having had highly modified Subaru STI’s that through down crazy track times and handled insanely well, there is just something that can’t be replaced by a well balanced RWD BMW (Porsche GT3 being an exception).
Agreed. I loved my stage 2 2005 STi, which was very capable, but not nearly as fun and tossable as the M2.

Quote:
I just don’t understand those begging for an xdrive variant.
They are seeing these videos and thinking the car will be a monster. And if it isn't, the can easily make it one (and will).

The E46, and OG F87 had balance, and were controllable by normal humans. Those guys get into a modified M2C or a G87 and suddenly they're past their pay grade. The Fix? X-Drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 12:20 PM   #42
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Let me ask you this? What's wrong with an RS3? It can easily be track driven and drifted now...
Yes, the RS3 is probably the best yet form Audi, but it's not on par with BMW. BMW has longitudinal engine (less roll inertia), only sends torque to front when it needs (Audi basically drives like a FWD car all of the time), no compromised steering control and precision, better weight distribution front/rear axle. Having an integrated circus trick like "drift" mode is not a prove of it's equal ability.

To get an idea about the differences in real life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQABHRrXt8M
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2022, 12:36 PM   #43
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

M xDrive is not the same as the xDrive in an M240i or X3. And it’s worlds apart from Quattro in an RS3 or whatever. How many people here have actually driven an M xDrive car hard in 4WD Sport (M3, M4, M5, M8)?
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      07-22-2022, 12:54 PM   #44
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

always thought the M2 is a strange beast. similar weight as the M4 but much less power.
Appreciate 0