F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android 11 / 12 /13 HU discussion
GetBMWParts

05-11-2022, 07:54 AM   #463
pat882
Rep
Drives: F31

Hej, regarding Spotify autostart - maybe i found a workaround to stop the spotify autostart on boot. in factory settings, switch to "always start with android system". now my spotify doesn't start on boot
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 08:52 AM   #464
tj320dgt
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

Smile Android Auto Voice Navigation or Sound - Disables Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce007 View Post
I successfully updated from 1.7.5 to 1.8.6.
However there is no update to Zlink it seems. Theres a very annoying bug with ZLink 5.2.0 whereby Android Auto is practically unusable. Anytime a notification sound or navigation direction comes through the audio, it mutes the music until the next notification. Ive never had this issue on my A10 SD625 unit running Zlink 4.0.17...
The internet is a wonderful thing sometimes. I have exactly the same issue that you describe. I found this forum today and waded through until finding your post (11 pages worth). Did you fix it? Further down I can see nobuno sent you something - did you manage to upgrade Zlink and did it fix it? Will a firmware upgrade from 1.8.6 do it? This has been bothering me since December. I have had to turn off voice navigation to cope!

We are not the only ones it seems:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/z...-auto.4409741/

I just downloaded firmware 1.8.9, like you I currently have 1.8.6. I haven't installed it yet. I haven't tried an upgrade before. Is 1.8.9 a big enough bump? The latest firmware seems to be 2.0.8. From going through the form, I can see all of the warnings about applying firmware updates incrementally, but there are 7 updates between 1.8.6 and 2.0.8. Is it really really necessary to go through every one? It would be great to know if any of these actually fix my problem!

Edit: I installed 1.8.9. The install was successful, but it still has Zlink 5.2.0 and the audio problem is still there. I'll try the next version and keep going.

Solved: I went through upgrading the firmware in turn, at version 1.9.7, the Zlink version went to 5.2.14 from 5.2.0. It stayed at 5.2.14 for version 1.9.9. I test drove my car around on Android Auto Wireless on version 1.9.9 and the problem has disappeared! That is, voice navigation instructions no longer cause background music to stop and not restart. Fantastic!

I'll probably continue the upgrades to get to 2.0.8, but the firmware hosting site seems to have a download limit - possibly per day, just so you are aware.

Edit: I went to 2.0.0 and then direct to 2.0.9. This worked fine, I did need to re-pair the phone prompted by Zlink (I had to do that once before on the 1.9.7 upgrade I think), but the Zlink version in 2.0.9 remains at 5.2.14. It all still seems to work. As I have just discovered this forum I am now going to have a play with Kswoverlay, which according to one of the posts I saw earlier apparently also works for Android 11?

Last edited by tj320dgt; 05-14-2022 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Upgrade from 2.0.0 to 2.0.9 also works!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 10:01 AM   #465
Komec
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i M-Sport

Any idea why my idrive controller stopped working after changing the UI skin? There isnt much other places to ask for help as xtrons customer service isnt answering. I have this unit: https://xtrons.com/bmw-various-andro...-rom-qpb8060cc
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #466
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komec View Post
Any idea why my idrive controller stopped working after changing the UI skin? There isnt much other places to ask for help as xtrons customer service isnt answering. I have this unit: https://xtrons.com/bmw-various-android-11-qualcomm-662-octa-core-6gb-ram-128gb-rom-qpb8060cc
Did you perhaps accidentally change the controller type ("knob type") from A to B or vice versa? This option is somewhere in the settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 11:37 AM   #467
Komec
Private
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Did you perhaps accidentally change the controller type ("knob type") from A to B or vice versa? This option is somewhere in the settings.
I already tried those options without any luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 12:09 PM   #468
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I already tried those options without any luck.
Are your steering wheel buttons working? Can you see rpm/speed on the dashboard?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 03:50 PM   #469
Komec
Private
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Are your steering wheel buttons working? Can you see rpm/speed on the dashboard?
I have to test steering wheel buttons tomorrow, but i noticed that rpm and speed indicator seems to be frozen. i mean, rpm at idle is frozen at 666 even when i try to rev the engine. I feel like the android head unit is not connected to the car anymore.

Last edited by Komec; 05-13-2022 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 05:21 PM   #470
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I have to test steering wheel buttons tomorrow, but i noticed that rpm and speed indicator seems to be frozen. i mean, rpm at idle is frozen at 666 event when i try to rev the engine. I feel like the android head unit is not connected to the car anymore.
That looks like you've either change the CAN protocol or enable CAN bus data collection.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 11:19 PM   #471
Komec
Private
Finland
Rep

Quote:
That looks like you've either change the CAN protocol or enable CAN bus data collection.
I think i clicked that data collection box while scrolling the menus but i didnt left it on.
Attached Images

Last edited by Komec; 05-14-2022 at 02:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 03:18 AM   #472
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I think i clicked that data collection box while scrolling the menus but i didnt left it on.
Common bug with data collection. It seems to be off but it's actually on. Turn it on, then turn it off and restart your Android.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 07:02 AM   #473
twoface
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D

Anyone had problems with updating?
I'm still on 1.5.2 and I've tried every update version so far, but I get "Update failed" message at very beginning of update procedure.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 08:37 AM   #474
Komec
Private
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Common bug with data collection. It seems to be off but it's actually on. Turn it on, then turn it off and restart your Android.
Ha! It worked! Thanks Erik
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 07:04 AM   #475
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Android 11 Update 2.0.8 and 2.0.9 are now available at the first page.

I compared Android 10 3.5.3 with Android 11 2.0.8 as the are from the same creation date.
The Main Launcher (kswplauncher) is 100% identical, so changelog of the A10 Update does apply also for the Android 11 Update.

Update 2.0.9 has only minor code fixes for LexusLS and ALS_ID7_UI GUI scrolling behavior, so for this i won't to a seperate full changelog.

Kri
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2022, 10:13 AM   #476
murzik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoface View Post
Anyone had problems with updating?
I'm still on 1.5.2 and I've tried every update version so far, but I get "Update failed" message at very beginning of update procedure.
I am having same problem. Usually that would happen if unit does no like USB drive. But I am using same drive for all updates since Android 9 unit.

Dropped update file into the root of the unit's file system. Still got update failed. :-(

Any advise what to do next???

Last edited by murzik; 05-16-2022 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 10:59 AM   #477
Granrey
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F02 750Li

Same problem here. Trying to install OTA update on my Navifly Snapdragon662 Android 11 unit, but this fails. I have tried two different USB drives (32GB and 8 GB), formatted them to Fat32, and empty apart from the update file. Current version is 186. Update file is version 189. The unit does detect the update file and asks for confirmation to proceed with the update. After confirming, it immediately shows a notice "Update fail!", without any further details. How to solve this?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 04:41 AM   #478
tj320dgt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granrey View Post
Same problem here. Trying to install OTA update on my Navifly Snapdragon662 Android 11 unit, but this fails. I have tried two different USB drives (32GB and 8 GB), formatted them to Fat32, and empty apart from the update file. Current version is 186. Update file is version 189. The unit does detect the update file and asks for confirmation to proceed with the update. After confirming, it immediately shows a notice "Update fail!", without any further details. How to solve this?
I did exactly this on my system, which sounds the same as yours. I went to 1.8.9 from 1.8.6 (see my earlier post above) and installed about 4 other updates successfully to get to 2.0.9.

I used a 16gb Fat32 formatted USB stick (actually a micro SD card with a USB adapter). I know it's not much help, but it should just work.

I only found this forum a few days ago. The firmware updates and guidance on the factory settings have made me much happier with the device. I made the original car system full screen by changing a factory setting and fixed the bug in Zlink for Android Auto Wireless.

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong compared to what I did.

I bought mine from PengGps on Aliexpress - sounds like the same device. They messed me around on delivery time, it took weeks to the UK - with no update on delivery date despite me hassling them, and they also charged me a good bit extra on delivery - after I had ordered, but the device is as advertised - and the total price was still about the same as I had seen elsewhere.
Attached Images

Last edited by tj320dgt; 05-17-2022 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: Added pictures
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 06:19 AM   #479
Granrey
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Some more background information. Several months ago, my unit was still at version 1.5.2. The seller then sent me the update 1.8.6. At that time, the update went fine. So I do not understand why 1.8.9 fails. When they sent me 1.8.6, they included instructions (in Chinese), which translate as follows:
"Copy Ksw-Q-Userdebug_OS_v1.7.5-ota.ZIP to an empty SD or U disk

Plug into any USB port of the machine

After the machine is turned on, it will prompt to find the upgrade program and click to upgrade, as shown in the figure below

After the upgrade is complete, remember to restore the factory upgrade and import the OEM method as follows:

How to restore factory settings: Enter [Settings] -> [Version Information] -> [Restore Factory Settings]

OEM import method: operate according to the OEM documentation"

After the upgrade was complete, I didn't restore to factory settings. Perhaps this is the reason why the currrent update fails? Also, I have no idea what is meant by "OEM import method". I did ask the seller at that time, but their reply made no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by Granrey; 05-17-2022 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 06:25 AM   #480
Granrey
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj320dgt View Post
I did exactly this on my system, which sounds the same as yours. I went to 1.8.9 from 1.8.6 (see my earlier post above) and installed about 4 other updates successfully to get to 2.0.9.

I used a 16gb Fat32 formatted USB stick (actually a micro SD card with a USB adapter). I know it's not much help, but it should just work.

I only found this forum a few days ago. The firmware updates and guidance on the factory settings have made me much happier with the device. I made the original car system full screen by changing a factory setting and fixed the bug in Zlink for Android Auto Wireless.

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong compared to what I did.

I bought mine from PengGps on Aliexpress - sounds like the same device. They messed me around on delivery time, it took weeks to the UK - with no update on delivery date despite me hassling them, and they also charged me a good bit extra on delivery - after I had ordered, but the device is as advertised - and the total price was still about the same as I had seen elsewhere.
Thanks a lot for your feedback! Very strange that it worked for you and not for me... Hopefully someone will see the solution. I will also ask my seller (Navifly), even though I have little confidence in their reply.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 06:33 AM   #481
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks a lot for your feedback! Very strange that it worked for you and not for me... Hopefully someone will see the solution. I will also ask my seller (Navifly), even though I have little confidence in their reply.
I doubt it will help by try this: insert your USB stick and let the unit detect it. Open up ES Explorer or any other file explorer app you have installed on your unit and format your USB stick from that app. Then take it back to your PC, do not attempt to repair or recover, just empty it if there are any files created (not format, just delete) and copy your update file. See how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 07:14 AM   #482
tj320dgt
Rep

Quote:
Some more background information. Several months ago, my unit was still at version 1.5.2. The seller then sent me the update 1.8.6. At that time, the update went fine. So I do not understand why 1.8.9 fails. When they sent me 1.8.6, they included instructions (in Chinese), which translate as follows:
"Copy Ksw-Q-Userdebug_OS_v1.7.5-ota.ZIP to an empty SD or U disk

Plug into any USB port of the machine

After the machine is turned on, it will prompt to find the upgrade program and click to upgrade, as shown in the figure below

After the upgrade is complete, remember to restore the factory upgrade and import the OEM method as follows:

How to restore factory settings: Enter [Settings] -> [Version Information] -> [Restore Factory Settings]

OEM import method: operate according to the OEM documentation"

After the upgrade was complete, I didn't restore to factory settings. Perhaps this is the reason why the currrent update fails?
Well, I did a sequence of upgrades one after the other and at no point restored factory settings. Each one worked. I went into the Android apps after each upgrade to check the Zlink version - as that is what I was trying to fix. I didn't even have the password to go into factory settings, but I managed to obtain that myself by downloading the factory config from the machine using the instructions here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5#post26482005

I used the second variant successfully, no root required.

If you haven't got your factory config, I would suggest doing that as it might point to the problem. Any chance that your current factory config is not compatible with 1.8.9? It sounds like it might be from 1.5.2 - perhaps the factory reset would replace it and make it more compatible with newer firmware versions? But I am guessing.

I am an IT guy, but new to this world. I did compare my factory config with the annotated one in the latest Android 10 link, see here.

Factory_config_BMW_A10_353.zip:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8&d=1652610693

I got that link from this page:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=5308

The guide is from Kri

It was very enlightening, but I only ended up changing one setting as most were the same (through the Factory Settings GUI - as I got the password from the config file) - to make the original car display full screen from half screen.

If I were you, I would review your factory config against the latest one and see if anything jumps out at you. Perhaps someone else more experienced with these devices could indicate if that is indeed a reasonable course of action at this point. It would at least be educational.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 07:49 AM   #483
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
If you haven't got your factory config, I would suggest doing that as it might point to the problem. Any chance that your current factory config is not compatible with 1.8.9? It sounds like it might be from 1.5.2 - perhaps the factory reset would replace it and make it more compatible with newer firmware versions? But I am guessing.
Factory reset doesn't affect factory_config.xml file and certainly it doesn't get replaced during one. Factory reset addresses the main system partition so the OS and all apps are affected. Factory_config.xml along with boot animation sit on a separate partition. The only way to update them is by replacing these files.

Quote:
I am an IT guy, but new to this world. I did compare my factory config with the annotated one in the latest Android 10 link, see here.
Factory config files are the same for both Android 10 and 11 as both devices are pretty much identical and only differences come from API level differences.

Moreover factory config file have no effect on update process as this is only an xml file that keeps values of some settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 07:53 AM   #484
murzik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550ix

Quote:
I doubt it will help by try this: insert your USB stick and let the unit detect it. Open up ES Explorer or any other file explorer app you have installed on your unit and format your USB stick from that app. Then take it back to your PC, do not attempt to repair or recover, just empty it if there are any files created (not format, just delete) and copy your update file. See how it goes.
I did try as you suggested. Still got update failed...
Any other ideas? What is the proper way to reset unit to factory settings?
Appreciate 0