F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F31 Vibration in steering wheel.
Extreme Powerhouse

05-01-2024, 02:52 PM   #1
F31
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 RWD

Currently have one or couple of different issues.

Car steering wheel is vibrating when driving between 40mph - 70mph and also a bit more when applying the brakes at 40mph - 70mph range.

It's an F31 RWD.

———- History ———

It's had new front and rear discs and pads and handbrake shoes fitted last year by BMW. Genuine BMW.

A few months later it developed a steering wheel shake when braking, I took it back to BMW and they found the front disc to be warped by 0.023, so they replaced the discs and pads.

A few months later the issue has came back again.

* Ive recently replaced all tyres from runflats to good year F1 AYS 6.

* Replaced front lower and upper controls with TRW parts. Torqued at right height.

* Had tyres rebalanced.

* Front passenger alloy not running true, repaired and re balanced front alloys.

* New track rod ends

* 4 wheel aligment (See image, best they could get it)

Any ideas where to go next?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 02:46 AM   #2
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by F31 View Post
Currently have one or couple of different issues.

Car steering wheel is vibrating when driving between 40mph - 70mph and also a bit more when applying the brakes at 40mph - 70mph range.

It's an F31 RWD.

------- History ------

It's had new front and rear discs and pads and handbrake shoes fitted last year by BMW.

A few months later it developed a steering wheel shake when braking, I took it back to BMW and they found the front disc to be warped by 0.023, so they replaced the discs and pads.

A few months later the issue has came back again.

* Ive recently replaced all tyres from runflats to good year F1 AYS 6.

* Replaced front lower and upper controls with TRW parts.

* Had tyres rebalanced but they noticed one alloy seem to not run true slightly.

* New track rod ends

* 4 wheel aligment (See image, best they could get it)

Any ideas where to go next? I'm going to get the 2 front alloys checked tomorrow to see how much off they are. Any other ideas?
Welcome to the forums

UK section here FYI: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...412&order=desc

Seems like you've replaced the necessary parts; have you replaced the main tension strut up front (the long slightly bent arm - bush one end/ball joint the other) as that's usually the key culprit when it comes to wheel wobbles & where they torqued down when the suspension was under load & not hanging in the air (a common mistake)

PN6 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0942

Have you tried to re-bed in the discs & pads as well?

It could be that one of the wheels is slightly square; but I'd suspect that'd have a wheel wobble when driving, not just braking

You've got decent tyres on now (I run the same and find them to be superb) so the RFTs are obviously ruled out
      05-03-2024, 06:21 AM   #3
F31
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
Welcome to the forums

UK section here FYI: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...412&order=desc

Seems like you've replaced the necessary parts; have you replaced the main tension strut up front (the long slightly bent arm - bush one end/ball joint the other) as that's usually the key culprit when it comes to wheel wobbles & where they torqued down when the suspension was under load & not hanging in the air (a common mistake)

PN6 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0942

Have you tried to re-bed in the discs & pads as well?

It could be that one of the wheels is slightly square; but I'd suspect that'd have a wheel wobble when driving, not just braking

You've got decent tyres on now (I run the same and find them to be superb) so the RFTs are obviously ruled out
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I replaced number 6 and number 10 with TRW from one pair and Lemforder for the other pair. It was torqued down to suspension ride height and used new BMW bolts.

I have started to get steering wheel shaking when driving around 40 - 70mph, and also braking, seems a bit more vibration.

I've came back from a garage this morning, the front wheel was not running true by a little bit, which has been corrected. The fronts rebalanced again. Only got the fronts checked.

I'm lost where to go next.

Obviously the tracking isn't 100%, but that wouldn't cause steering wheel vibration when driving.

I did notice a slight squeaking from the rear for 5 seconds when he pulled it out of the garage, but I assume this is normal on the blue brakes? When it's just been reversed in and sat for a bit. Doesn't happen when driving, just pulling off when been sat for a while.

-----

Is it the steering rack? Mine being the ZF doesn't have the repair kit.

Is it the Hubs? Discs Wappred again?.
Appreciate 1
danb19791976.00
      05-03-2024, 06:26 AM   #4
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I replaced number 6 and number 10 with TRW from one pair and Lemforder for the other pair. It was torqued down to suspension ride height and used new BMW bolts.

I have started to get steering wheel shaking when driving around 40 - 70mph, and also braking, seems a bit more vibration.

I've came back from a garage this morning, the front wheel was not running true by a little bit, which has been corrected. The fronts rebalanced again. Only got the fronts checked.

I'm lost where to go next.

Obviously the tracking isn't 100%, but that wouldn't cause steering wheel vibration when driving.

I did notice a slight squeaking from the rear for 5 seconds when he pulled it out of the garage, but I assume this is normal on the blue brakes? When it's just been reversed in and sat for a bit. Doesn't happen when driving, just pulling off when been sat for a while.

-----

Is it the steering rack? Mine being the ZF doesn't have the repair kit.

Is it the Hubs? Discs Wappred again?.
So it seems you've done most of the work...

Like you I've got the ZF rack; so you can only tighten that a touch, there's no repair kit

Blue brakes can squeal a bit when they've been sitting but that's not an issue

If you've got steering wheel wobble; its the front; if it was the rear you'd feel it through the whole car

What brake discs & pads do you have?

Have you tried to bed them in again to see if that clears any brake pad deposits?

Do you hold the brakes when stationary or do you drop into P and apply the handbrake?

Brake discs don't warp unless they're crap from factory; it's generally pad deposits or failed suspension

Have you had the alloys wheels off and refurbed at all; if so, are the mating faces clear of any paint as they should be?

Have you taken the wheels/discs off to ensure that all mating faces are clear of any detritus and that the mating faces all sit flush?
      05-03-2024, 06:39 AM   #5
F31
Registered
Rep

Quote:
So it seems you've done most of the work...

Like you I've got the ZF rack; so you can only tighten that a touch, there's no repair kit

Blue brakes can squeal a bit when they've been sitting but that's not an issue

If you've got steering wheel wobble; its the front; if it was the rear you'd feel it through the whole car

What brake discs & pads do you have?

Have you tried to bed them in again to see if that clears any brake pad deposits?

Do you hold the brakes when stationary or do you drop into P and apply the handbrake?

Brake discs don't warp unless they're crap from factory; it's generally pad deposits or failed suspension

Have you had the alloys wheels off and refurbed at all; if so, are the mating faces clear of any paint as they should be?

Have you taken the wheels/discs off to ensure that all mating faces are clear of any detritus and that the mating faces all sit flush?
Definitely can't feel any vibration though the seat just though the wheel. When you let go you can see it vibrating side to side.

BMW fitted the front and rear pads and discs. And then replaced the front discs and pads about 4 months ago now? After the issue of vibrating when just braking.

I haven't tried to bed them in again.

Alloys haven't been refurbed.

I have taking the wheels off and cleaned the surfaces, I haven't been able to take the discs off yet, due to BMW putting the Allen screw in to tight and it just rounding.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 06:57 AM   #6
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
Definitely can't feel any vibration though the seat just though the wheel. When you let go you can see it vibrating side to side.

BMW fitted the front and rear pads and discs. And then replaced the front discs and pads about 4 months ago now? After the issue of vibrating when just braking.

I haven't tried to bed them in again.

Alloys haven't been refurbed.

I have taking the wheels off and cleaned the surfaces, I haven't been able to take the discs off yet, due to BMW putting the Allen screw in to tight and it just rounding.
I'd be taking it back to BMW to ask them to assess what's going on; brakes shouldn't be having issues like that and they're not old/worn either!
      05-03-2024, 07:06 AM   #7
F31
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I'd be taking it back to BMW to ask them to assess what's going on; brakes shouldn't be having issues like that and they're not old/worn either!
Kind of lost faith in going after, getting after going there twice and the problem still not fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 07:40 AM   #8
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
Kind of lost faith in going after, getting after going there twice and the problem still not fixed.
I get that but it's also the warranty side of things; saves you having to fork out more £££ if possible
      05-03-2024, 03:14 PM   #9
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Maybe a faulty caliper/piston? I had experience on a different car where the piston was applying pressure to the pad, free of brake application. It caused huge vibrations and got very hot. Replacing the caliper fixed it.

Maybe one of your calipers is doing the same to a lesser degree
Appreciate 1
danb19791976.00
      05-03-2024, 10:25 PM   #10
Shred Sled
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328ixDrive Touring

I also have the “blue” calipers on my 2016 F31 328ix and the brake judder your experiencing sounds very familiar to what I’m experiencing, although I have not gone to the same lengths as you to diagnose and troubleshoot the issue.

As AlohaSurfToad mentions, I believe it might be a bad caliper or stuck guide pin that ultimately leads to uneven pad wear/depositing of pad material onto the disk which causes brake judder. Every time I come to a stop it reminds my of riding my BMX bike as a kid where my rim was bent after too many kick outs. The rear caliper brake would grab, then let go, then grab again, and so on because the rim was bent. I’m of the impression that brake disks do not warp, but rather the surface becomes uneven from pad deposits (and other elements such as rust). I believe a shop can measure run out on the disc.
The dealer once replaced the all 4 rotors and pads under warranty, but the judder issue came back.

I’m out of warranty, so I’ve just been dealing with it, but man every time coming to a stop it’s like I’m driving a jalopy. Never had the issue with any cars I’ve owned. Hope you can narrow it down and rectify the issues you’re having without spending over and over.