home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

05-08-2023, 09:47 AM   #1
CloudEng
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Regrets not getting ZTK Package

Hey all,

Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse, I recently placed an order for an M240i which just hit status code 150 last week so I can't make any changes. After reading many threads I am beginning to feel like I made a mistake not getting the ZTK package. Initially after watching many reviews on the car, I ultimately wrote it off since Alex on Autos said it wasn't worth it and to just get the wider front tires down the line and at 59k, I feel that is incredibly close to M2 territory. I do plan on occasional track days, but nothing hardcore. I've seen many users complaining about the brake feel for even street use on the standard M-Sport brakes. One user also reported that the 2023 brakes feel much better than their 2022 (both did not have ZTK), so I am hoping that I don't have much to worry about.

Has anyone gotten the M Performance brakes and think its worth it? I feel it is a bit of a poor value, but if it improves the brake feel I may consider it. I'm sure regardless the car will be a blast and I am perhaps overthinking, just looking to get some thoughts on this since there has been so much talk surrounding the brakes.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 10:34 AM   #2
G42UPRA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

I have the ZTK and I'm on the fence as to if it was worth it or not.

For me the wheels were a big selling point as personally I don't love the other wheel options. The slightly bigger brakes are a nice plus as well.

The downside is that they inexplicably mounted the oil cooler exposed on the underside of the car. I've already seen one post where something struck that oil cooler so on the other hand I wonder if it would have been better to skip ZTK... especially since I don't track the car and plan on lowering it eventually.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 12:27 PM   #3
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

they sell skid plates for the oil cooler if you're worried about large debris knocking holes into your oil cooler (though it could still happen even with the plate since it's vented). I probably won't be tracking my car at all, but at least I know I have the higher top speed and an oil cooler lol. the extra price for what you get is not bad at all considering you're paying 55K+ already.

my thought process when I ordered my car was that since I'm buying a relatively "expensive" brand new car, I want all the features and planned my budget accordingly. I'm still bummed out that I couldn't get radar cruise due to the chip shortage.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 01:10 PM   #4
CloudEng
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
they sell skid plates for the oil cooler if you're worried about large debris knocking holes into your oil cooler (though it could still happen even with the plate since it's vented). I probably won't be tracking my car at all, but at least I know I have the higher top speed and an oil cooler lol. the extra price for what you get is not bad at all considering you're paying 55K+ already.

my thought process when I ordered my car was that since I'm buying a relatively "expensive" brand new car, I want all the features and planned my budget accordingly. I'm still bummed out that I couldn't get radar cruise due to the chip shortage.
Completely get that. I think the issue with MY23 is that BMW increased the base price by around $1000 I believe over MY22, so a fully loaded M240i will net you close to 61k. At that point I feel you are losing a bit of the value proposition since you are just shy of a base M2 and you may as well shell out a little bit more for an M2.

For what its worth, you also get the higher top speed limiter if you opt for the performance tires which I was sure to get. You don't have to get ZTK to get the higher top speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 02:22 PM   #5
G42UPRA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
they sell skid plates for the oil cooler if you're worried about large debris knocking holes into your oil cooler
I haven't been able to find one for this application. Do you have any leads on that? Would be interested in getting a skid plate prior to lowering the car.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2023, 02:54 PM   #6
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G42UPRA View Post
I haven't been able to find one for this application. Do you have any leads on that? Would be interested in getting a skid plate prior to lowering the car.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...0i-skid-plate/
Appreciate 2
G42UPRA245.00
      05-09-2023, 01:49 PM   #7
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudEng View Post
Completely get that. I think the issue with MY23 is that BMW increased the base price by around $1000 I believe over MY22, so a fully loaded M240i will net you close to 61k. At that point I feel you are losing a bit of the value proposition since you are just shy of a base M2 and you may as well shell out a little bit more for an M2.

For what its worth, you also get the higher top speed limiter if you opt for the performance tires which I was sure to get. You don't have to get ZTK to get the higher top speed.

Don’t know about US prices but in the UK you need about 10K (GBP) extra to get a base M2 from a loaded M240i so nearly 20% more. That’s not a little price gap. Also factor in running costs.

What’s the higher speed limiter you are referring to? M2 has that option but AFIK M240i is limited to 155mph standard.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 01:50 PM   #8
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Thanks for this. I have been looking for one of these. As for the ZTK package, if you are going to track this car yes it is well worth the extra money.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 04:07 PM   #9
CloudEng
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Don’t know about US prices but in the UK you need about 10K (GBP) extra to get a base M2 from a loaded M240i so nearly 20% more. That’s not a little price gap. Also factor in running costs.

What’s the higher speed limiter you are referring to? M2 has that option but AFIK M240i is limited to 155mph standard.
In the US, base price M2 is $63k. A fully loaded M240i can run you around $61k here as well. Granted the M2 won't have any options, but at that point I would just pony up the money for the M2. You are right about running costs though.

The top speed limiter I'm referring to is dependent on what tires you get. I'm not sure which BMW considers standard on the M240i, but if you opt for the all season tires in a squared setup, the top speed is limited to 130 mph. If you go with the staggered performance tires, they raise the limit to 155 mph.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 04:15 PM   #10
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
In the US, base price M2 is $63k. A fully loaded M240i can run you around $61k here as well. Granted the M2 won't have any options, but at that point I would just pony up the money for the M2. You are right about running costs though.

The top speed limiter I'm referring to is dependent on what tires you get. I'm not sure which BMW considers standard on the M240i, but if you opt for the all season tires in a squared setup, the top speed is limited to 130 mph. If you go with the staggered performance tires, they raise the limit to 155 mph.
The prices are certainly closer in the US between the two, especially so as there is more standard on the M240i UK version than US.

I’d be miffed buying any premium car and it was limited to 130 tho. That’s shocking.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 09:59 AM   #11
heelsmj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240 Xdrive Retired M340

Quote:
Hey all,

Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse, I recently placed an order for an M240i which just hit status code 150 last week so I can't make any changes. After reading many threads I am beginning to feel like I made a mistake not getting the ZTK package. Initially after watching many reviews on the car, I ultimately wrote it off since Alex on Autos said it wasn't worth it and to just get the wider front tires down the line and at 59k, I feel that is incredibly close to M2 territory. I do plan on occasional track days, but nothing hardcore. I've seen many users complaining about the brake feel for even street use on the standard M-Sport brakes. One user also reported that the 2023 brakes feel much better than their 2022 (both did not have ZTK), so I am hoping that I don't have much to worry about.

Has anyone gotten the M Performance brakes and think its worth it? I feel it is a bit of a poor value, but if it improves the brake feel I may consider it. I'm sure regardless the car will be a blast and I am perhaps overthinking, just looking to get some thoughts on this since there has been so much talk surrounding the brakes.

Thanks all!
To clarify the only additions you get in the US with the ZTK package are the different rims and Michellen pilot 4S tires and those small fender flares. All US spec cars come with the bigger brakes and the additional oil cooler. I wouldn’t beat yourself up to much you can always change your rims and tires if you want.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 10:15 AM   #12
CloudEng
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsmj View Post
To clarify the only additions you get in the US with the ZTK package are the different rims and Michellen pilot 4S tires and those small fender flares. All US spec cars come with the bigger brakes and the additional oil cooler. I wouldn’t beat yourself up to much you can always change your rims and tires if you want.
This was initially thought when the car was first released but as people began receiving deliveries it was found that the US ZTK package does indeed get the additional oil cooler as well as bigger brakes (374mm as opposed to 349mm). There are a few threads on the forum with side by side pictures comparing them.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 10:18 AM   #13
heelsmj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
This was initially thought when the car was first released but as people began receiving deliveries it was found that the US ZTK package does indeed get the additional oil cooler as well as bigger brakes (374mm as opposed to 349mm). There are a few threads on the forum with side by side pictures comparing them.
I have a 2023 US spec non ZTK car and it definitely has the additional oil cooler. I cant speak for sure to the brakes as I haven’t compared side by side to another car with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 10:22 AM   #14
CloudEng
Rep

Quote:
I have a 2023 US spec non ZTK car and it definitely has the additional oil cooler. I cant speak for sure to the brakes as I haven’t compared side by side to another car with it.
You have the additional oil cooler that is seen from the undercarriage? ZTK cars have 3 oil coolers as opposed to 2 standard. Not aware of any changes to this for 2023.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 10:26 AM   #15
heelsmj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You have the additional oil cooler that is seen from the undercarriage? ZTK cars have 3 oil coolers as opposed to 2 standard. Not aware of any changes to this for 2023.
The ZTK cars have 3 oil coolers?? I have one on each side. I thought the additional one gave 2 total. Guess I have no idea what I’m talking about on this topic sorry! BTW I paid $59K for my car without ZTK I got every option aside form that one. Personally wasn’t worth it considering I already had set of pilot 4S tires.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2023, 10:29 AM   #16
CloudEng
Rep

Quote:
The ZTK cars have 3 oil coolers?? I have one on each side. I thought the additional one gave 2 total. Guess I have no idea what I’m talking about on this topic sorry! BTW I paid $59K for my car without ZTK I got every option aside form that one. Personally wasn’t worth it considering I already had set of pilot 4S tires.
Haha yeah, all good. If BMW provided actual info on this, there wouldn't be so much confusion!
Appreciate 1
heelsmj351.00
      06-10-2023, 12:29 PM   #17
MrPickles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240ix

Quote:
That's incorrect. The USA cars have 2 different brake set ups, the larger being the ones that come on the ZTK package.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 06:44 PM   #18
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Yes, ZTK equipped cars definitely have larger calipers and rotors, there's a thread somewhere on these forums that has measurements comparing ZTK vs non-ZTK.

I want to get a skid plate for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 07:55 AM   #19
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Yes, ZTK equipped cars definitely have larger calipers and rotors, there's a thread somewhere on these forums that has measurements comparing ZTK vs non-ZTK.

I want to get a skid plate for sure.
Skid plate is available at Turner. I bought one, looks great had to modify it slightly due to plate rubbing on cooler. I just add a few washers to gain clearance. Very easy to install.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 1
MPR1811.00
      06-19-2023, 04:06 PM   #20
G42M240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

If anyone is on the fence about ZTK - Do it. I definitely a regret not getting it.

However, I ordered my car so early, there wasn't any information about the ZTK available. The dealership talked me out of it as it seemed to be only different wheels and an upgraded fan. If I had known all the details, it would have been a no brainer.

Save the money on the leather, and use the difference toward ZTK.
Appreciate 1
P_Chris156.50
      06-20-2023, 11:28 AM   #21
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G42M240 View Post
If anyone is on the fence about ZTK - Do it. I definitely a regret not getting it.

However, I ordered my car so early, there wasn't any information about the ZTK available. The dealership talked me out of it as it seemed to be only different wheels and an upgraded fan. If I had known all the details, it would have been a no brainer.

Save the money on the leather, and use the difference toward ZTK.
I'm curious why you regret not getting it? Do you plan on tracking your car often? I have 0 intentions of tracking my car and do not regret not getting the ZTK. Only reason I even considered it was because the wheels that come with that package are by far the most appealing but the other aspects of it I do not think you will ever miss in regular street driving. And the money saved is going towards an after-market set of wheels to fix that anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 04:52 PM   #22
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

You will not be competitive on the track with, or without, the ZTK package. Sorry, but the car is a grand tourer, not a track car. If you're not planning on changing the brake pads and brake fluid, you will learn this much sooner than you wanted. Will you have fun? Absolutely - with or w/o the ZTK!

I have the ZTK and I'd do it again, but even w/o you've got an amazing car. The ZTK includes:
  • horizontal oil cooler
  • upgraded fan
  • Micheline PS4S
  • heavy 8.5" and 9.5" wheels that look better than the other options
  • fender arches/flares which nicely accents the car's profile
  • increased top speed
  • larger calipers
  • larger rotors
  • worthless M lap timer

I've changed out my wheels to forged (19 lbs) and tires to 265 square with a performance all season (no tracking and PS4S is deadly in sleet).

I don't believe the car 'needs' the additional oil cooler, as I haven't read of any overheating issues.

The larger brakes and rotors help with cooling, not much of a difference in daily driving.

I would hate having a top speed of 130 mph as I often drive 100-110 out in the middle of nowhere in NM and AZ, and passing I will frequently exceed 130 as it comes very quick and easy with the JB4 and downpipe. This shouldn't be an issue for those that never leave urban areas.

Last edited by XC3LLR8; 06-20-2023 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 3
Jashue190.50