bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-29-2023, 02:59 PM   #23
Zemzam
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i '22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpereap View Post
I think your problem is directly related to the XHP wifi adapter, this adapter is a rebranded version of the MHD wifi orange adapter, which always had big connectivity issues, if there are wifi networks around your area that will be enough for the connection between the flash device and the adapter to drop, resulting in failed flashes. I highly recommend you purchase the MHD universal adapter (red color) and give it a try. I myself have flashed XHP with no issues on my G42 using that adapter, and have had 0 connectivity issues with it even with tons of wifi networks around. Just make sure to update the firmware of the adapter before trying to flash (download the MHD app for F+G series on your phone, plug in the adapter to your car's OBD2 port, connect to the adapter from your cellphone, open the app and read fault codes, the app will automatically update the firmware to the latest version).
I am hoping you are correct. The MHD Universal has been purchased already and is on the way. I will do a lot of testing this weekend. Appreciate the suggestion.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2023, 07:11 AM   #24
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
We wouldn't have a space program, or literally any program, if every little glitch scared everyone off.

The product is great, so great in fact he's still willing to try it again simply because of how much he liked it in his previous car. If you're still hesitant just wait until he posts the fix, as the issues he experienced are very few and far between.
If I were using tax dollars to fund everything, I'd be 100% ok with it. I also wouldn't be concerned with bricking it and having to tow it to a BMW dealer to have my warranty voided.

But I do agree that it's not rocket science.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2023, 09:13 PM   #25
Zemzam
Rep

RESOLUTION!

First off, thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and support.

SHORT VERSION: The xHP Flashtool Adapter that I received was VERY inconsistent and probably defective. The MHD Uni Wifi Adapter worked flawlessly.

LONGER VERSION:

This message turned out to be the most accurate:

Quote:
I think your problem is directly related to the XHP wifi adapter, this adapter is a rebranded version of the MHD wifi orange adapter, which always had big connectivity issues, if there are wifi networks around your area that will be enough for the connection between the flash device and the adapter to drop, resulting in failed flashes.
I tried flashing this evening with an iPhone and the original xHP Flashtool Adapter. It also failed multiple times. Side note: @XC3LLR8: You owe me a White Castle . But it was a good suggestion and now I have a spare phone to keep in the car for programming changes. So I'll call it a draw

Quote:
I highly recommend you purchase the MHD universal adapter (red color) and give it a try.
I had actually already ordered this adapter at the time of this message, but this turned out to be good advice. I will say that even after updating the firmware, it still takes a minute or so for everything to get connected, but once it was it stayed connected and completed the flash tune on the first try.

So basically, I just got unlucky and received a defective adapter. This is the adapter that did NOT work for me:

Maybe I was just unlucky, or maybe @alexpereap is correct and it is just an unreliable adapter. Regardless, this adapter did not work for me consistently under any circumstance.

However THIS adapter did work:

So, xHP Stage 3 is loaded and working, from my Android phone, using the MHD Uni Wifi Adapter. I would recommend that you use the MHD Uni Adapter if you are interested in doing an xHP flash to any G-Series BMW.

This is just my own personal experience. THanks again for all of the support and suggestions. I will update the original post in order to help anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future.

Thanks again everyone!
Appreciate 7
      04-01-2023, 06:45 PM   #26
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Glad you got it resolved! The adapter that didn’t work for you is also the one I have. Good to know what the fix is in the event mine stops working.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 11:22 AM   #27
MorendiSLO
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive g42 , AUDI TT RS

Hey,

Did you do any 100-200 runs now with xhp on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemzam View Post
RESOLUTION!

First off, thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and support.

SHORT VERSION: The xHP Flashtool Adapter that I received was VERY inconsistent and probably defective. The MHD Uni Wifi Adapter worked flawlessly.

LONGER VERSION:

This message turned out to be the most accurate:

I tried flashing this evening with an iPhone and the original xHP Flashtool Adapter. It also failed multiple times. Side note: @XC3LLR8: You owe me a White Castle . But it was a good suggestion and now I have a spare phone to keep in the car for programming changes. So I'll call it a draw

I had actually already ordered this adapter at the time of this message, but this turned out to be good advice. I will say that even after updating the firmware, it still takes a minute or so for everything to get connected, but once it was it stayed connected and completed the flash tune on the first try.

So basically, I just got unlucky and received a defective adapter. This is the adapter that did NOT work for me:

Maybe I was just unlucky, or maybe @alexpereap is correct and it is just an unreliable adapter. Regardless, this adapter did not work for me consistently under any circumstance.

However THIS adapter did work:

So, xHP Stage 3 is loaded and working, from my Android phone, using the MHD Uni Wifi Adapter. I would recommend that you use the MHD Uni Adapter if you are interested in doing an xHP flash to any G-Series BMW.

This is just my own personal experience. THanks again for all of the support and suggestions. I will update the original post in order to help anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future.

Thanks again everyone!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 12:39 PM   #28
Zemzam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorendiSLO View Post
Hey,

Did you do any 100-200 runs now with xhp on?
I have not. I am still tweaking it, and I do not have easy access to what I would consider a safe place to easily to that. But if I do, I will let you know
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 04:28 AM   #29
MorendiSLO
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive g42 , AUDI TT RS

thx

I did stg3 now on mine and i dont feel much difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemzam View Post
I have not. I am still tweaking it, and I do not have easy access to what I would consider a safe place to easily to that. But if I do, I will let you know
Appreciate 0