04-28-2024, 01:15 PM   #1
zerreissen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 PB M240i

M Performance trim illumination?

Hey all,

I just installed the M Performance Carbon Fiber/Alcantara Interior Trim Kit in my 2022 m240i. As I was installing, I noticed there is an LED strip under the dash strip with a couple of plugs, so I assume this piece is meant to light up (my stock trim had no dash illumination). I couldn't find anywhere to plug them in. Did some research and some forum searching before I went ahead and gave up and just installed it. Anyone have any idea where these are supposed to plug into?

Name:  IMG_1401.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  1.04 MB
Name:  IMG_1400.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  337.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1351.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  1.17 MB
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 03:41 PM   #2
DAXXR
M2 comp
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I fitted the M2 carbon dash trim, that also has two plugs for the illumination.
My car did however have the dash illumination, on the original black trim, but there is only one plug, so it does not light up either.
Does not bother me, just happy to have the carbon trim.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 04:49 PM   #3
WA
G42 B58 C56
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

As you said your stock didn't have it, feels like maybe a difference with the '22 v. '23+ with the interior changes that have the (admittedly weak**) ambient lighting (and associated plugs?) in that section.

I had the same M Performance kit installed in my '24 M240i, and it does have the (still weak) ambient lighting strip at the bottom. But sorry, I had the dealer install it, so can't speak to the plug question.

With the ambient light being weak, you're not missing much. So like DAXXR above ... Does not bother me, just happy to have the carbon trim ... instead of the default gloss black.

** By weak I mean even on the highest brightness setting you can't see it at all (same with the door card ambient light) during the day, only at night, and still not very bright. This compared to the ambient lighting in my '23 X1 that had strong ambient lighting that you could see at all times.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 03:36 PM   #4
zerreissen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 PB M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA View Post
As you said your stock didn't have it, feels like maybe a difference with the '22 v. '23+ with the interior changes that have the (admittedly weak**) ambient lighting (and associated plugs?) in that section.

I had the same M Performance kit installed in my '24 M240i, and it does have the (still weak) ambient lighting strip at the bottom. But sorry, I had the dealer install it, so can't speak to the plug question.

With the ambient light being weak, you're not missing much. So like DAXXR above ... Does not bother me, just happy to have the carbon trim ... instead of the default gloss black.

** By weak I mean even on the highest brightness setting you can't see it at all (same with the door card ambient light) during the day, only at night, and still not very bright. This compared to the ambient lighting in my '23 X1 that had strong ambient lighting that you could see at all times.
That's fair. I just felt like maybe I was missing out, but sounds like I'm not. Thanks!
Appreciate 0