BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

04-04-2024, 10:07 PM   #1
I Lupi 16
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 340i

Unhappy ZTK Package [Bent Oil Cooler / Pipes]

Well unfortunately, day 2 into owning a used 2022 m240i, I looked under the car and noticed the extra oil cooler and some piping is bent. When looking underneath the car, the cooler needs to sit parallel to the ground. From the center of the cooler to the left side, it is bent down at a 20 to 30 degree angle.

Took it to my Local BMW and after lifting the car up and checking / running some tests, looks like I need a new oil cooler, transmission cooler, parking sensor and some piping. Asked how long the the fix will take and the service advisor brought up another issue. No oil coolers or transmission coolers in stock here in the US so it will have to be sourced from Germany. The service advisor estimates the shipping to take 2 to 3 weeks minimum.

Outside of just giving them the green light and waiting it out, do any of you have suggestions or recommendations? I would hope there would be a similar after market cooler i could fit instead? Would appreciate any insight.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 01:23 AM   #2
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Sorry to hear that. I don’t have any ideas what you could replace that with, but the previous owner must have hit a speed bump without slowing down or something.

I know someone who did that with a Panamera at full speed. Bent a variety of things.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 07:25 AM   #3
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

How long have you owned the car? Did you buy from a dealer? If so, did you buy it AS IS or did they give you some kind of warranty? Replacing all those components will likely run in the thousands.

The previous owner (and yourself) are lucky that the oil cooler was not cracked and leaking oil which would be potentially catastrophic.

IMO, those oil coolers on our cars are too exposed and subject to damage from rocks, ice, and small critters. If you get it replaced, I would also invest in some type of protection for it so that it doesn't destroy your engine if it is punctured.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2024, 10:00 AM   #4
Antique-ace
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

I would recommend waiting for the necessary replacement parts from Germany for a number of reasons including not diminishing the resale value of your car with an aftermarket oil cooler.

SOLD: 2011 550i xDrive, 1995 M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 10:54 AM   #5
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Does your state have a time period for return after a car purchase? I would just take it to the dealer and have them take care of it for you. If it's not leaking they probably never noticed or did and figured you wouldn't by day 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 07:06 PM   #6
I Lupi 16
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
How long have you owned the car? Did you buy from a dealer? If so, did you buy it AS IS or did they give you some kind of warranty? Replacing all those components will likely run in the thousands.

The previous owner (and yourself) are lucky that the oil cooler was not cracked and leaking oil which would be potentially catastrophic.

IMO, those oil coolers on our cars are too exposed and subject to damage from rocks, ice, and small critters. If you get it replaced, I would also invest in some type of protection for it so that it doesn't destroy your engine if it is punctured.
I bought the car from a BMW dealership and had it shipped to me. It still has the factory warranty and services but my local BMW dealership is saying this does not fall under the warranty.

The fact that the pieces I need replaced will take a few weeks minimum to arrive and there are no similar aftermarket pieces available, adds another bump in the road. I think I will just give my shop the green light to start the job and then work with BMW USA Corporate and the transport company. If only something more common was damaged haha
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 07:08 PM   #7
I Lupi 16
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique-ace View Post
I would recommend waiting for the necessary replacement parts from Germany for a number of reasons including not diminishing the resale value of your car with an aftermarket oil cooler.
You are right. I am just antsy at the moment and wanted to see if anyone had a quick fix / idea but the rational thing to do is wait for the OEM parts.
Appreciate 1
MPR1811.00
      04-05-2024, 10:56 PM   #8
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

So this stuff was broken when you received the car without them disclosing it? If so I’d fight that, for both costs of replacement and for a loaner while you are carless.
Appreciate 3
      04-06-2024, 08:57 AM   #9
Antique-ace
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
So this stuff was broken when you received the car without them disclosing it? If so I’d fight that, for both costs of replacement and for a loaner while you are carless.
I agree and I would try to do the same thing, but my past experience with issues like this is the dealership will either claim the car was sold "as is" or that the oil cooler was damaged while being shipped to the buyer. The shipping company will of course deny that they caused or are responsible for this problem.

SOLD: 2011 550i xDrive, 1995 M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 09:33 AM   #10
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I would get an estimate from your local dealer in writing and demand that the selling dealership make restitution. Their reputation is at stake and if they are a legit BMW dealership, they should make some effort to get this right for you. Go to their website and contact their President and General Manager to get them involved. It is unlikely that a salesman or even a sales manager will have any inclination to make you happy since you are out of state.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 10:09 AM   #11
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

If the service manager isn’t willing to work with you I’d go above him and keep going up the chain and plead your case. This is a BMW dealership, not Joe’s Route 66 car sales. I assume BMW NA expects customers to have a level of confidence/expectation when buying a car from one of their dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 07:00 PM   #12
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

Looks like car hit a bump and you cannot prove it was the previous owner so unfortunately I think the dealership is correct here. Unless they want to go out of their way and do you a favor they're not really responsible for this which was caused by an external element. But it should be covered by your insurance so your provider should pick up the tab after deductible.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:37 AM   #13
I Lupi 16
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
If the service manager isn’t willing to work with you I’d go above him and keep going up the chain and plead your case. This is a BMW dealership, not Joe’s Route 66 car sales. I assume BMW NA expects customers to have a level of confidence/expectation when buying a car from one of their dealerships.

Its been quite the 5 1/2 weeks haha. Hopefully it will all be resolved soon. The pieces arrived last Tuesday but when I spoke to the service rep Friday afternoon, he stated they were just about to start. Hope the car is fixed and back to me by Wednesday. They said Monday... I will follow up on how it all goes down once its passed me. First couple weeks, I was quite annoyed but then I realized worse sh** can happen. I was also worried the pieces wouldn't arrive from Germany for months.

If any of you have the ZTK package, would you recommend a specific skid plate for protection (Turner, Mishimoto, legendary track custom $350one)?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:59 AM   #14
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

^^^
I bought a small sheet of black PVC off of Amazon, drilled a bunch of holes in it and zip tied it in place. Cost me less than $60 and about 1-1/2 hours of my time.

It will protect against rocks, small critters and so forth but not curbs (but I am not sure how much more protection a metal skid plate will provide for curbs - it would depend on the severity of the "hit" I guess).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:50 AM   #15
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
^^^
I bought a small sheet of black PVC off of Amazon, drilled a bunch of holes in it and zip tied it in place. Cost me less than $60 and about 1-1/2 hours of my time.

It will protect against rocks, small critters and so forth but not curbs (but I am not sure how much more protection a metal skid plate will provide for curbs - it would depend on the severity of the "hit" I guess).

You will have issues. You have obstructed the airflow. That oil cooler needs airflow over the fins (think of it as a radiatir for oil) and that cover with miniscule holes drilled into will not provide it what it needs. There is a reason the other manufacturers skid plated still leave substantial openings and you have defeated the purpose.
Appreciate 0