03-02-2022, 01:21 AM   #1
new_owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Further delays expected?

Has anyone seen this article?

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...ns-2022-03-01/

I wonder if there’s going to be a knock on effect for the G42 cars as well? Maybe there are parts which are supplied from there to the Mexico plant.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 02:41 AM   #2
acouncilofone
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i

I hope that's not why mine's delayed. My production week is supposed to be this week but according to the genius it's still not in production.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 03:45 AM   #3
balthasar
Rep
Drives: G42 240i on order

if it delays mine im taking that as a sign and using the excuse to pull out.
recent events have made me fear a little for my job stability going forward. :/
gulp
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 09:02 AM   #4
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g42 (ordered)

I was supposed to be week 9 build. Monday my garage moved backwards from Scheduled for Production to Order Received. Yesterday it moved back to Scheduled for Production so I called Genius and they say Ive been updated to a week 10 build, but as always, everything is subject to change
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 09:11 AM   #5
beamer-dreamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i, Volvo V60 XC

yeah my week 5/6 car is still in production, and is more than a week past when they said it should be completed
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2022, 09:30 AM   #6
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflacarguy View Post
I was supposed to be week 9 build. Monday my garage moved backwards from Scheduled for Production to Order Received. Yesterday it moved back to Scheduled for Production so I called Genius and they say Ive been updated to a week 10 build, but as always, everything is subject to change
I went from week 6 to 14, 1 week delay isn't much.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 10:29 AM   #7
SupraCooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 94 6spd turbo Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthasar View Post
if it delays mine im taking that as a sign and using the excuse to pull out.
recent events have made me fear a little for my job stability going forward. :/
gulp
They may keep your deposit if you do
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 04:29 PM   #8
Fredward20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Mine was scheduled for production this week. Still says that, called genius and they say it’s still showing as build week 9 but also still scheduled for production. So I guess I’m in limbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 04:50 PM   #9
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraCooper View Post
People are putting down deposits? My dealer said no deposit necessary; if you don't want the car when it arrives we'll simply sell it to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 10:52 PM   #10
beamer-dreamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i, Volvo V60 XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
People are putting down deposits? My dealer said no deposit necessary; if you don't want the car when it arrives we'll simply sell it to someone else.
dealers near me would be happy to take your deposit.. and keep it when you leave the deal.. then sell the car to someone else
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 11:29 PM   #11
SupraCooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lol yes! Every car we order for someone we require a non refundable deposit. $1k and 2k for cars over 70k… if it's some kinda funky build, sometimes we require a $5k deposit bc it's more of a risk for sitting on the lot for a lot longer
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 11:41 PM   #12
soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g42 (ordered)

0 deposit required for my build, but had to get approved by BMW financial. They have a line of people happy to take the car if I back out.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 07:50 AM   #13
AppraiserGuy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
My dealer required a $2,000 deposit, but said if I back out I get the deposit back once they sell the car to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 08:08 AM   #14
yuvalt
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i, 09 Miata, 70 Corvett

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppraiserGuy View Post
Quote:
My dealer required a $2,000 deposit, but said if I back out I get the deposit back once they sell the car to someone else.
This is nuts. You're the only taking the risk because the car may be delayed for months, items can drop from your order, yet they are still holding your deposit hostage when they didn't pay anything when they ordered it. At MSRP pricing there are plenty of options for zero deposit or at least fully refundable at any time.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 09:01 AM   #15
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This version makes perfect sense. However, why would any reputable BMW dealership require a non-refundable deposit on a car they know is in high demand, especially if it's a normal build?

And what exactly is a "funky" build on these cars? I would think purple is "funky", yet it seems to be the hottest thing going!
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #16
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvalt View Post
This is nuts. You're the only taking the risk because the car may be delayed for months, items can drop from your order, yet they are still holding your deposit hostage when they didn't pay anything when they ordered it. At MSRP pricing there are plenty of options for zero deposit or at least fully refundable at any time.
I'm just taking a guess here, but I'd suspect a written agreement would be made at time of order that allows one to back-out, with deposit returned, if the car is not delivered as ordered.

If anyone wants to see some unscrupulous dealerships taking non-returnable deposits and charging upwards of $10K over MSRP, look no further than many VW dealerships on the new Golf R and GTI.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2022, 10:39 AM   #17
SupraCooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Believe me, no dealership/salesman/sales manager is happy when you back out of a deposit no matter how many ppl want to buy it. I have never worked at a dealer that has done refundable deposits (I been in the business for 8 yrs) and worked at the highest volume Toyota dealership in my state for most of my career before coming to bmw. I also haven't had many people back out on me over the years bc I try to be personable, professional, up front and as transparent as possible. I listen to other client advisers tell clients all the time, "we'll have this car here in 3-4 weeks" and I cringe. Me- I sell by the motto, " I try to under promise and over deliver". So Mr. Customer if I tell you that we will have the car here for you in 4-5 months, and it comes in 3 months. Then I look good, right? They'll laugh and/or always 100% agree with you.

Every time we take a non-refundable deposit we always have the customer sign a non-refundable deposit form, the pricing proposal, and the build sheet. I make copies and give it to the client to take home.. we did the same thing at Toyota except we also had a arbitration agreement signed as well. Probably 60% of the new cars I sell are done by deposit, especially in todays crazy times. Now I am not saying that we will never refund your money back especially if you try to go to small claims court or something but I am not in the business of screwing people over. I strive for happy clients, referrals, retention, good reviews etc.

When I say, "funky builds" I am not referring to m240s, I'm talking about BMWs in general. Like individual cars, interior and exterior colors that clash. Stuff like that. Cars that would be harder to sell on our lot that not many people will want.

At the end of the day, I just want to help people + make a good living. If it's helping people on this form, or purchasing the bmw they have always dreaMed of.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 10:43 AM   #18
SupraCooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not exactly. I tell my clients, "now the only way it's non refundable is if you just back out on me. Now if the numbers changed, there was something wrong with the car, or it wasn't what we agreed to." Then of course we will refund it back to you or try to find the right vehicle/make it right."
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201843.50
      03-08-2022, 10:49 AM   #19
yuvalt
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i, 09 Miata, 70 Corvett

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not exactly. I tell my clients, "now the only way it's non refundable is if you just back out on me. Now if the numbers changed, there was something wrong with the car, or it wasn't what we agreed to." Then of course we will refund it back to you or try to find the right vehicle/make it right."
It's an open market, you're free to ask for whatever you wish but since everyone is charging the same price, I'm sure not everyone would agree to this "trust me to be fair" kind of arrangement. I know I wouldn't. By the time you order the car and by the time you get it many things could change in this crazy world that we live in today. It can't be all on the shoulders of the customer. This all assumes a standard order and not something unique.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #20
SupraCooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I agree 100% that as a consumer, you reserve the right to ask for whatever you want. However, incorrect about everybody is charging the same. Some dealerships are marking up core vehicles $5 $10k over msrp. We are not unless it's something unique like a cs m car or something rare.

And you are right that things can change in these times such as a trade value. The books could be different by the time the build comes in, but again. I'm up front about that kind of stuff. I tell my clients that and I tell them that we will have to get another equity analysis on it when the time comes, or we offer here what's called an "early trade". Where the client signs the trade paperwork, turns it over to us, and we lock in they're trade value.
You know the old saying, "it's not always what you say, it's how you say it.".. and different folks, different strokes.

I do this every single day for a living, and like I said I'm NOT here to do people wrong. Nothing makes a salesperson happier then a happy customer and good positive feedack. It's my job to give a great service and a excellent experience .
Appreciate 1
yuvalt86.00
      03-08-2022, 11:15 AM   #21
Fredward20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
It's an open market, you're free to ask for whatever you wish but since everyone is charging the same price, I'm sure not everyone would agree to this "trust me to be fair" kind of arrangement. I know I wouldn't. By the time you order the car and by the time you get it many things could change in this crazy world that we live in today. It can't be all on the shoulders of the customer. This all assumes a standard order and not something unique.
It’s nuts to expect that dealerships want to take the risk of tons of people coming in and putting in orders for cars they have no intention of buying because they don’t take a deposit lol pretty much anything you order custom these days requires a deposit, most of the time non-refundable. Just because another buyer can be found doesn’t mean it isn’t going to take time that then costs the dealership money.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2022, 11:53 AM   #22
SupraCooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

^ this.
Appreciate 0