onderyetiskin
Private
Rep
Drives: 230i

bmw 230i need upgrade brake and suspension advice

Hey Guys,
I have 2022 230i
After 2 month i have two problem.

first the brakes not good. i need to push very hard to pedal for stop my car. So I found EBC Yellowstuff pads! people says its enough improve brake distance. so any advice ? and also what is rotor size! this car new so hard to find correct parts. i don't know regular size pads or rotor size? probably 312 mm ?

Second!!
i got crazy body roll and its scary. So i can't install adaptive suspension because its need wire and very expensive. so what is my option. im daily driver. just spring enough ? Im scare if coilover uncomfortable!

any advice help me! thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
Perets
Private
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW, BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onderyetiskin View Post
Hey Guys,
I have 2022 230i

first the brakes not good. i need to push very hard to pedal for stop my car. So I found EBC Yellowstuff pads! people says its enough improve brake distance. so any advice ? and also what is rotor size! this car new so hard to find correct parts. i don't know regular size pads or rotor size? probably 312 mm ?

Second!!
i got crazy body roll and its scary. So i can't install adaptive suspension because its need wire and very expensive. so what is my option. im daily driver. just spring enough ? Im scare if coilover uncomfortable!

You just need good brake pads. Didn't research, but l'm sure, you can use it from another bmw and Supra's.
Dahler is only official springs option for now. I use 330i Dinan springs. They do just 5mm lowering for rear end, but body roll much less, ride more firm, and i like it more then m sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 10:20 AM   #3
Dinosoar
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
I totally agree on the brakes. I have a 230 Msport w Dynamic Handling Package. The Msport brakes aren't the greatest, lots of pedal pressure needed as you noted. Though, they are very "clean" pads, so I think a good set of pads will do you nice...they'll be dirty and grind down the rotors.

Rotor size has been a big mystery since BMW doesn't list it. Some are saying they're in the 355mm range...for what that's worth.

As far as the handling, I don't have much body roll and consider the non-adaptive Msport suspension pretty tight. I also like a compliant suspension. I prefer to go as "soft" as possible and still manage the tires and speed of the car...I don't like a suspension that's too stiff...so this may be a subjective preference. I did put on 255 Michelin PSS on each corner too, so that's changed my handling much more for the better, but body roll is unchanged, of course. I would start with new roll bars to see how that changes things for you. A tire swap may take out the scary part of your handling too.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 03:56 PM   #4
onderyetiskin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perets View Post
You just need good brake pads. Didn't research, but l'm sure, you can use it from another bmw and Supra's.
Dahler is only official springs option for now. I use 330i Dinan springs. They do just 5mm lowering for rear end, but body roll much less, ride more firm, and i like it more then m sport suspension.
Thank you for advice Perets, I checked the Dahler spring, looks good but little pricey. I will keep research. I will check supra 2.0 brake pads.
everyone talking about yellowstuff brake pads. i will call maybe the company and they can tell me which is fit my car. thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 04:01 PM   #5
onderyetiskin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosoar View Post
I totally agree on the brakes. I have a 230 Msport w Dynamic Handling Package. The Msport brakes aren't the greatest, lots of pedal pressure needed as you noted. Though, they are very "clean" pads, so I think a good set of pads will do you nice...they'll be dirty and grind down the rotors.

Rotor size has been a big mystery since BMW doesn't list it. Some are saying they're in the 355mm range...for what that's worth.

As far as the handling, I don't have much body roll and consider the non-adaptive Msport suspension pretty tight. I also like a compliant suspension. I prefer to go as "soft" as possible and still manage the tires and speed of the car...I don't like a suspension that's too stiff...so this may be a subjective preference. I did put on 255 Michelin PSS on each corner too, so that's changed my handling much more for the better, but body roll is unchanged, of course. I would start with new roll bars to see how that changes things for you. A tire swap may take out the scary part of your handling too.
Dinosoar! thank you for advices. I think my tire is nice. i have only body roll problem. i turn very hard sometimes in city and the car shake very bad and big body-roll. I think car is too high and too heavy. i hope the lovering spring will fix the problem.

The brake why is like that! i dont get it. i tested Mini cooper S and it was same brake feel. also m240i was same. i think BMW trying luxury feeling not firm. but its make me scare on highway.
Im gonna keep research but this car soo new and no any information on internet. its really hard to find it.

thanks again.
Appreciate 1
Dinosoar290.50
      04-08-2022, 10:43 AM   #6
ConeCrusher
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i

I agree on the brake feel, I have the standard brakes and they feel mushy and challenging to modulate effectively. My wifes X1 has better brake feel.
      04-09-2022, 10:00 PM   #7
onderyetiskin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeCrusher View Post
I agree on the brake feel, I have the standard brakes and they feel mushy and challenging to modulate effectively. My wifes X1 has better brake feel.
Today, the brake very cold and first red light it almost don't stop! its scary. mostly if i chose sport mode and brake too weak. i don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 11:42 AM   #8
Perets
Private
Rep

Had a track day yesterday. Brakes definitely feels strange, very long pedal travel with unfeeling contact point. But, good news, I can’t overheat it. They hold 20 minutes track session for a 6 times. Just need to push harder. Maybe proper brake fluid bleeding helps. Maybe we should start with this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Red_sir131.50
Dinosoar290.50
GWIZ61.00
      04-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #9
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Perets:
Did you notice a difference or change in braking as the session went on? if not you likely did not boil the fluid. Some tracks by nature of layout are more demanding on brakes, and also of course the driver aggressiveness comes into play as well.

The stock BMW fluid dry boiling point is 509 F, most recommendations for track fluids is to have fluid rated to 600 degrees or more (Motul 600 is rated 594 degrees, Motul 660 is rated at 617 degrees). So I'm kinda surprised you got by with stock fluid but i depends upon the track and the driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 02:23 PM   #10
Perets
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Perets:
Did you notice a difference or change in braking as the session went on? if not you likely did not boil the fluid. Some tracks by nature of layout are more demanding on brakes, and also of course the driver aggressiveness comes into play as well.

The stock BMW fluid dry boiling point is 509 F, most recommendations for track fluids is to have fluid rated to 600 degrees or more (Motul 600 is rated 594 degrees, Motul 660 is rated at 617 degrees). So I'm kinda surprised you got by with stock fluid but i depends upon the track and the driver.
I didn’t boil the fluid, it’s not my first track day, and I gradually increased the pace. And stock brakes can handle it.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2022, 09:45 PM   #11
kkgriss
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perets View Post
Had a track day yesterday. Brakes definitely feels strange, very long pedal travel with unfeeling contact point. But, good news, I can't overheat it. They hold 20 minutes track session for a 6 times. Just need to push harder. Maybe proper brake fluid bleeding helps. Maybe we should start with this.
I, too, had a track day over the weekend. I replaced the fluid (Motul rbf 600) and pads (Hawk HPS 5.0). I was very surprised by the amount of air in the system (it's possible I could have introduced some, but doubtful). Now I have much better pedal feel- more direct and no more sponginess. Finally the brakes feel like they can handle the power. The venting on the brakes is very good- not even close to the brakes getting hot on the track. Also, the pads are working out great.
Appreciate 1
Red_sir131.50
      04-13-2022, 10:30 PM   #12
onderyetiskin
Private
Rep

can you send me link: i can't find my car on their web pape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgriss View Post
I, too, had a track day over the weekend. I replaced the fluid (Motul rbf 600) and pads (Hawk HPS 5.0). I was very surprised by the amount of air in the system (it's possible I could have introduced some, but doubtful). Now I have much better pedal feel- more direct and no more sponginess. Finally the brakes feel like they can handle the power. The venting on the brakes is very good- not even close to the brakes getting hot on the track. Also, the pads are working out great.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 01:08 PM   #13
kkgriss
Rep

Quote:
can you send me link: i can't find my car on their web pape.
I have the M240 without the cooling and high performance tire package and used part nos. HB916B.740 and HB917B.626. They came from Extreme Power House, who I highly recommend. They were very helpful and sent the pads out very quickly.

At the time I ordered them, I was also unable to find pads listed for a G42. I had a dealer cross reference the pads for the G42 M240 with the G20 M340 xdrive and confirmed the pads were the same. That may make it a bit easier in your search.

Last edited by kkgriss; 04-14-2022 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 12:15 AM   #14
onderyetiskin
Private
Rep

I see, mine is 230i. probably it match 330i then ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgriss View Post
I have the M240 without the cooling and high performance tire package and used part nos. HB916B.740 and HB917B.626. They came from Extreme Power House, who I highly recommend. They were very helpful and sent the pads out very quickly.

At the time I ordered them, I was also unable to find pads listed for a G42. I had a dealer cross reference the pads for the G42 M240 with the G20 M340 xdrive and confirmed the pads were the same. That may make it a bit easier in your search.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 09:02 AM   #15
kkgriss
Rep

Quote:
I see, mine is 230i. probably it match 330i then ?
I recommend that you locate the BMW part no. for yours based on the VIN, then see what other vehicles use the same part number. The parts guy at my local dealer was happy to help - it only took a few minutes for him to check to confirm what, if any, G20 models used the same pads. With that info, you could look up the Hawk pads for the model that has the same pads.

I would not assume that the 330i is a match; though, it is a place to start when looking at models that may use the same part number.

You could also check the pad measurements, which I believe Hawk publishes for many of their pads.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 07:04 PM   #16
zerep1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90, 328i F30, 230i G42,

Quote:
Hey Guys,
I have 2022 230i

Second!!

I thought the body roll was different but it’s a different car what did you have before

I came from Wrx and that felt like it was on rails but my wife hated it because it was super stiff

But I have notice my m230i when pushed hard feels just as planted just more complaint

As far a brake feel the car feels like there is a lot of weight but brakes feel linear as I never gotten to the point where I engage ABS but have stopped really hard

Irub
Appreciate 0