BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

12-20-2023, 04:49 PM   #133
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
What's the threshold for insurance to total the car?
^^if BMW USA is welching then plan B is def get the car totalled. premiums are gonna suck soon either way
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 04:49 PM   #134
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Christ, this might as well be an ad for the oil skid plate. Just ordered the Mishimoto plate for the M2.
OP, please reach out to Mishimoto and have them send you one for free for all of the advertisement. I'm thinking they are going to get a bunch or orders within the next week. I'm legit going to email them telling them about this thread and that they should just send you one.
Tag18427.00
NewToM367.00
Hypori142.00
forcefed2580.00
ToneM2150.00
Ronin76861.50
Zatellia186.00
ayilar20.50
      12-20-2023, 04:50 PM   #135
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xps View Post
Update:

got a quote for 38k for the engine and another 8k for the turbos. Dealer said there nothing anyone would do on the BMW side, my only option is insurance, which is what I guessed.

So what are my options? My insurance said this will be a collision damage claim according to their books and since MI is a no-fault state, this makes no difference whose fault it is. So my premiums are going to be affected.
Sorry to hear that. You should still contact BMW NA directly and see what they say. If you've exhausted all options and have to go through your insurance, I'd ask them to total it.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2023, 05:01 PM   #136
Trogster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
I don’t know why our cars don’t have that rubber flap under the bumper, and European cars do… I’m wondering if that can help deflect debris.
Is this the rubber flap you're referencing....mounted just ahead of the oil cooler?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:06 PM   #137
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogster View Post
Is this the rubber flap you're referencing....mounted just ahead of the oil cooler?
Check out this picture: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30720423

Our NA cars don’t have that rubber lip.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:17 PM   #138
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Sorry to hear that. You should still contact BMW NA directly and see what they say. If you've exhausted all options and have to go through your insurance, I'd ask them to total it.
I did and I got the same response if the damage is external the warranty doesn't apply. There is no case here, unless there is some class action lawsuit for poor design on BMW.

There is no other way than BMW themselves stepping in to help out of good will. Such is life, I would probably not spend my energy worrying about this and just get it done with my insurance.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:21 PM   #139
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Now at 48k is 69% of msrp. The percentage for totalling the car is 75% in michigan, which is 52.5k, so I guess they would not total. I also realized the quote doesn't show oil cooler, so may be another 1k?

Have any of you heard anyone requesting to total the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:26 PM   #140
Trogster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Check out this picture: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30720423

Our NA cars don’t have that rubber lip.
Perhaps a marginal safety improvement. However you can just add a rubber flap extension and enjoy the same benefit.
Attached Images

Last edited by Trogster; 12-20-2023 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
M2siast5966.00
      12-20-2023, 05:28 PM   #141
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
I did and I got the same response if the damage is external the warranty doesn't apply. There is no case here, unless there is some class action lawsuit for poor design on BMW.

There is no other way than BMW themselves stepping in to help out of good will. Such is life, I would probably not spend my energy worrying about this and just get it done with my insurance.
Not a bad way to look at it, what's done is done. On the bright side you now have 46,000 reasons that show this is a design flaw to any naysayer!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:29 PM   #142
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Now at 48k is 69% of msrp. The percentage for totalling the car is 75% in michigan, which is 52.5k, so I guess they would not total. I also realized the quote doesn't show oil cooler, so may be another 1k?

Show us your quote?
I’m assuming that includes labour?
If it doesn’t include the cooler, plus labour, you’re close to meeting the threshold. And you know how it goes, they always find something new…

Let’s see the quote and see what else could be missing. This is ammo for you to talk to the adjuster and claim other parts/unforeseen labour, plus diminished value and the wait time for parts (since your car will likely be out of commission for 3 months, likely). You have a case for totalling it since it’s that close to the threshold for your insurance.
Appreciate 1
Tag18427.00
      12-20-2023, 05:30 PM   #143
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Show us your quote?
If it doesn’t include the cooler, plus labour, you’re close to meeting the threshold. And you know how it goes, they always find something new…

Let’s see the quote and see what else could be missing. This is ammo for you to talk to the adjuster and claim other parts/unforeseen labour, plus diminished value and the wait time for parts (since your car will likely be out of commission for 3 months, likely). You have a case for totalling it since it’s that close to the threshold for your insurance.
This is the one time gap insurance would have made sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:31 PM   #144
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
This is the one time gap insurance would have made sense.
We don’t know if he owes more to the bank than the car is worth.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:32 PM   #145
two_three_two
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM G87, Mk4 R32

Quote:

this is just an initial estimate is my guess. it could easily hit that threshold to total. what you are describing does happen in indys with some frequency, and maybe a dealer employee knows how one of them might react to such a request
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:36 PM   #146
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Show us your quote?

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 05:37 PM   #147
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogster View Post
Post #10
Appreciate 1
Trogster468.00
      12-20-2023, 05:40 PM   #148
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
You’re at $45,909 and it includes:

- new engine
- new oil cooler
- new turbos

So I suppose all is included (labour as well) which makes the situation a bit more grim… because adjusters are VERY good at reducing the amounts with severe discounts with shops. So the total for the insurance will likely be much less. So further distancing you from a total loss scenario.

I don’t think you have many options unfortunately other than ask the adjuster to push for a total loss given the points I said (more hidden damage to other parts, wait, etc.)

Let us know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 06:11 PM   #149
fangelov
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You’re at $45,909 and it includes:

- new engine
- new oil cooler
- new turbos

So I suppose all is included (labour as well) which makes the situation a bit more grim… because adjusters are VERY good at reducing the amounts with severe discounts with shops. So the total for the insurance will likely be much less. So further distancing you from a total loss scenario.

I don’t think you have many options unfortunately other than ask the adjuster to push for a total loss given the points I said (more hidden damage to other parts, wait, etc.)

Let us know what happens.
Not sure if the tax was included, if not that could add a lot more money to the total.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5966.00
      12-20-2023, 06:21 PM   #150
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:

Op, feel horrible for you. Its extremely frustrating to have this happen when it was completely out of your control.

What about swapping the engine with a junkyard S58, then immediately turning around and trading it in? A competent mechanic would have no problem swapping it out, and it wont be reported to carfax.

Not very ethical but then again, its 50K. I'll be a scumbag for once if I was in this situation.

EDIT: another option is to rebuild it. There are a couple of reputable builders than can tackle this, will be cheaper than dealer and again, its still the factory engine with matching serial and VIN. The immediately trade it in if it still bugs you.

https://www.ghassanautomotive.com/pr...bmw-s58-engine

https://miamiengines.com/bmw-engine-rebuilds/s58/

Hell, even Dinan who's known to overcharge is FAAAAR more reasonable than the dealer.

https://carbahn.com/product/cbs58-60...-m3-m3-c-m4-c/

Last edited by TacosRule!; 12-20-2023 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 06:39 PM   #151
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosRule! View Post
What about swapping the engine with a junkyard S58, then immediately turning around and trading it in? A competent mechanic would have no problem swapping it out, and it wont be reported to carfax.

Not very ethical but then again, its 50K. I'll be a scumbag for once if I was in this situation.

For once?
Appreciate 1
M2siast5966.00
      12-20-2023, 06:40 PM   #152
xps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Op, feel horrible for you. Its extremely frustrating to have this happen when it was completely out of your control.

EDIT: another option is to rebuild it. There are a couple of reputable builders than can tackle this, will be cheaper than dealer and again, its still the factory engine with matching serial and VIN. The immediately trade it in if it still bugs you.

Hell, even Dinan who's known to overcharge is FAAAAR more reasonable than the dealer.

If I had to do something shady I would have filled up the oil and replaced the oil cooler before going to the dealership. Too bad too late. , may be they would probably figure out the cooler was replaced and still deny warranty
Appreciate 1
Carefree1766.00
      12-20-2023, 06:46 PM   #153
evidence
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Putting radiators on the front must be a design flaw too.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30489711

Where do you propose BMW put the oil cooler? There are only so many places and all are vulnerable.
Easy..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
robopp1726.00
      12-20-2023, 06:46 PM   #154
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:

That is not Dinan, the company. Carbahn is actually very reasonable.
Appreciate 0