F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > RaceGlaze Water Filter - anyone use one?
GetBMWParts

04-18-2024, 07:00 PM   #1
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

RaceGlaze Water Filter - anyone use one?

Been tempted by one of these for a while. Really like the idea of being able to rinse off the car after washing and leaving it to air dry without any dreaded water spots. Would save the extra time and effort of drying and not having to run a drying cloth all over the car meaning more contact on paintwork etc.

If anyone here has one I’d be interested to hear feedback. Do they really work as well as they claim? How many washes do you tend to get out of it before needing to refill the resin? Thanks!

https://raceglaze.co.uk/shop/race-gl...ilter-7-litre/
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 07:41 PM   #2
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

These DI resin chambers have been talked about recently on this thread -

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2090971

Not Raceglaze specifically, unbranded but they do the same job.
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1957.50
      04-19-2024, 02:22 AM   #3
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Been using them for over 20 years. Brilliant job and resin life totally depends on how hard tour water is and how often you use the filter. Certainly wouldn’t do without one.
Appreciate 2
danb19791935.50
Scoobyd1957.50
      04-19-2024, 02:54 AM   #4
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
These DI resin chambers have been talked about recently on this thread -

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2090971

Not Raceglaze specifically, unbranded but they do the same job.
Raceglaze likely use Vyair products and just put their own labels on, but there are many suppliers out there.

Just check the resin that is in the container is the right one for the hardness of your water irrespective of where you buy it from. MB115 is designed specifically for soft water & MB151 for hard water areas.

I have the 11litre one and find it very good. Look at my post #12 here.... https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2090971

Be aware that some 'car cleaning poduct' sites sell the vessels but not all include the resin, as that can be the expensive bit.

They really do help with the car wash process, not cheap but worth it. On the occasions that I have been caught out by the sun suddenly coming out half way through the wash on my dark coloured cars, (as most have been over the years), a rinse from the top down and then a rinse with the deionised water and I have just left it while I finish the other parts of the car without the fear of hardwater marks all over it!
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1957.50
      04-19-2024, 09:53 AM   #5
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
Been tempted by one of these for a while. Really like the idea of being able to rinse off the car after washing and leaving it to air dry without any dreaded water spots. Would save the extra time and effort of drying and not having to run a drying cloth all over the car meaning more contact on paintwork etc.

If anyone here has one I’d be interested to hear feedback. Do they really work as well as they claim? How many washes do you tend to get out of it before needing to refill the resin? Thanks!

https://raceglaze.co.uk/shop/race-gl...ilter-7-litre/
Funny you should mention this as I have that very vessel & have just refilled the resin for the first time, yes it works very well & I also bought the water hardness metre that was reading 298 out of the tap today but down to zero using the vessel again.

I think the 7L one lasted around 15-20 rinses & numerous of bottles of water to fill our clothes iron up before the water hardness started to rise, when I first got it I started rinsing the car with normal water then just used the vessel for the final rinse but during the winter I got lazy so used the vessel to totally rinse the car so I probably could have got more rinses out of it.

When doing my research the Razeglaze vessel wasn’t the cheapest but it did come with it already filled with resin which some don’t, also I wanted a smaller size as it needs to be portable & they get heavy as full of water & resin, if you have somewhere to permanently fix it to the wall & use a long hose from it a larger one may be more beneficial.
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1957.50
      04-20-2024, 01:17 AM   #6
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

I have used this and it certainly does make a difference. If you live in a hard water area and wash your car loads then this is a no brainer.

I have to refill mine so if anyone has a link to cheaper than raceglaze that would be appreciated.
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1957.50
      04-20-2024, 02:49 AM   #7
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I would say 7 litre is maybe a bit small, aim for 11 litre vessels. I have two 11 litre vessels and use one as a pre filter once the resin drops from its best which then gives the resin in the newer vessel as easier time. They are mounted on a sack truck so I can move them around easily.
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1957.50
      04-20-2024, 09:49 AM   #8
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

I have one and have used it for getting on ten years. It does work as stated, however, you must only use for a quick rinse off as depending on your water you won’t get much life until the water starts to spot again. Refilling the resin is a total pain in the a$$ and it’s a heavy and cumbersome contraption.

Recently I decided to stop using it for an trial and went back to old school drying using AutoGlym synthetic drying cloths and to be honest I do now wonder why I bothered with the filter!

100% it works (when resin is new and fresh) and it’s brilliant in the summer / direct sun especially if you have a large car that’s hard to dry before the water evaporates but if you can dry in the shade or on cool cloudy days it’s not so clear cut.

Also I get the touch less approach but in reality a wipe down actually gives a bitter finish as those tiny little areas missed when washing the car get picked up. With the filter and touch less drying they remain and can let down the overall finished job.
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1957.50
      04-20-2024, 11:39 AM   #9
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

I’d be interested in the views of those that have one of these things and live in a soft water area.

six i saw a YouTube video of a guy emptying the 11 litre version and it looked a workout and a half. I don’t even think you’d get all the sold stuff out.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 01:20 PM   #10
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I’d be interested in the views of those that have one of these things and live in a soft water area.

six i saw a YouTube video of a guy emptying the 11 litre version and it looked a workout and a half. I don’t even think you’d get all the sold stuff out.
Yeh it’s not easy. First you have to unscrew the top cap which is often quite tightly seized up, even when greased with silicon grease. Once the top is off you have to upend over the bucket and use a running hose to flush out the resin beads, which then tend to end up going everywhere You need need to slowly drain the bucket to avoid all the resin beads going down the drain and into the watercourse!

Finally getting the new resin in needs a wide brim funnel thing and a lot of tamping down and patience. Also I’d give serious thought about it if you have a bad back becuase it’s all very heavy and awkward and handle.
Appreciate 1
Scoobyd1957.50
      04-24-2024, 07:51 PM   #11
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Thanks for all the replies on this. Much appreciated. The difficulty of changing resin is quite off putting though. Maybe I’ll just stick with the drying towels! Or put the money towards one of those filtered warm air blower dryer things…
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 03:43 AM   #12
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I’ll just stick with the drying towels! Or put the money towards one of those filtered warm air blower dryer things…
I can sell you one of those if you want?

I have this, used a handful of times still boxed as new.... https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/...wr-mini.aspx#0

If your interested we can talk price
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 12:35 PM   #13
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
I can sell you one of those if you want?

I have this, used a handful of times still boxed as new.... https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/...wr-mini.aspx#0

If your interested we can talk price
Doesn't bode well that you're selling it! Having seen how much they are, and given how big the Macan is, I think I'll stick to the old school drying cloth approach!

How have you found it though? Looks like it's more for the nooks and crannies like wing mirrors, door and boot shuts etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 02:40 AM   #14
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't bode well that you're selling it! Having seen how much they are, and given how big the Macan is, I think I'll stick to the old school drying cloth approach!

How have you found it though? Looks like it's more for the nooks and crannies like wing mirrors, door and boot shuts etc?
In fairness it worked well on he F31 but on a big car (G31 540) wish I had bought the twin fan bigger model as it takes a fair while. Great for drying the nooks and crannies when you want to polish and it needs to be perfectly dry though.

Given you have a Macan, think you're right. Try the Auto Finesse large plush towel absolutely fantastic https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/...ing-towel.aspx
Appreciate 0