home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

05-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #1387
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i purple

I don't know if I feel confident about this design at all.
      05-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #1388
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
To me the top looks better. But hey at the end of the day it's all subjective.

[img]https://www.bmw-m.com/content/dam/bm...gallery-06.jpg[/img]

[img]http://velocitywheel.net/wp-content/...s-coupe-11.jpg[/img]
The iDrive 7 system looks better integrated but I would still prefer iDrive 8 over it because it's a grand evolution over the older technology.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 04:18 PM   #1389
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:

[img]https://www.bmw-m.com/content/dam/bm...gallery-06.jpg[/img]

[img]http://velocitywheel.net/wp-content/...s-coupe-11.jpg[/img]
The iDrive 7 system looks better integrated but I would still prefer iDrive 8 over it because it's a grand evolution over the older technology.
it's de-evelution. It takes longer to change a setting, it's less safe, more finger prints on screen. It offers zero benefit. Or looks terrible as well but I could live with that if it had buttons to interact with the car.
Appreciate 5
eddj464.50
P111572.00
pablom2c124.50
chrisk03153.00
gphung193.50
      05-05-2022, 04:26 PM   #1390
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Quote:
I follow this car about as closely as anyone out there and have not seen one report of this car being xDrive.

This new screen is far more costly than anything has used in the past. Cost cutting is the last thing this is. BMW is modernizing and this is what it looks like.
Now how would you know that?
They are basically using the same screens all across the line up hence reducing/cutting cost (intentionally or unintentionally)
I think ID8 dual screen fits well with new 7er and iX interior but not with current generation ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 04:33 PM   #1391
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
it's de-evelution. It takes longer to change a setting, it's less safe, more finger prints on screen. It offers zero benefit. Or looks terrible as well but I could live with that if it had buttons to interact with the car.
I felt the same way going from a Nokia to an iPhone 4; like how am I suppose to type with no buttons! :

Humans can be intuitive and will adapt to the changing technology. After awhile, you'll get used to it, rendering this second nature. Capacitive Touch is the future, for better or worst.

I'm not a huge fan of its placement either but I could live with the aesthetical compromise.

Just to think, there was a period in time when someone thought this below was cutting-edge technology 😗 : Should we take a step backwards?

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
werdn656.00
sk8funk174.50
      05-05-2022, 04:35 PM   #1392
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Now how would you know that?
They are basically using the same screens all across the line up hence reducing/cutting cost (intentionally or unintentionally)
I think ID8 dual screen fits well with new 7er and iX interior but not with current generation ones.
The fact that a wide, curved, LCD screen is more expensive than a typical sized flat screen...
      05-05-2022, 04:38 PM   #1393
0Camus0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2021 Base / Supra 2020

Quote:
I felt the same way going from a Nokia to an iPhone 4; like how am I suppose to type with no buttons! :

Humans can be intuitive and will adapt to the changing technology. After awhile, you'll get used to it, rendering this second nature. Capacitive Touch is the future, for better or worst.

I'm not a huge fan of its placement but I could live with the aesthetical compromise.

Just to think, there was a period in time when someone thought this below was cutting-edge technology �� : Should we take a step backwards?

I think the problem are not the screens, but how they are integrating them into the dash. Even a freaking Escalade is doing way better job at it:

Appreciate 10
eddj464.50
Poochie9104.50
M3WC3645.00
pablom2c124.50
chrisk03153.00
swampfox941186.50
Moflow2484.50
Ugly Kar414.50
      05-05-2022, 04:42 PM   #1394
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Camus0 View Post
I think the problem are not the screens, but how they are integrating them into the dash. Even a freaking Escalade is doing way better job at it:

This (and ofc the missing physical buttons for climate at least) ! the way they are integrated into the dash with those "levers" at the back as supports seems like my 5 years old son built this!
Appreciate 1
chrisk03153.00
      05-05-2022, 04:52 PM   #1395
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddj View Post
Quote:
This (and ofc the missing physical buttons for climate at least) ! the way they are integrated into the dash with those "levers" at the back as supports seems like my 5 years old son built this!
I agree but maybe as the model progresses, they'll conceal the back mounts a bit. Maybe throw in some M Performance leather or alcantara back there to spruce it up. 🤷🏻

At this juncture, no point in bitching, we just have the make the best of it..

BTW, the climate control is still there, as you move your finger towards the lower part of the screen, an electronic slide for the cold/hot toggle appears.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 04:58 PM   #1396
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
BTW, the climate control is still there, as you move your finger towards the lower part of the screen, the electronic slide for the cold/hot control appears.
That's just it, it's not a slide. You literally have to hit up or down multiple times to adjust the temp. See for yourself.

And I agree with the general consensus, the screen looks like an afterthought. It shouldn't be this way for any car, let alone a luxury one.
Appreciate 6
0Camus0153.50
P111572.00
pablom2c124.50
chrisk03153.00
T_U_D6679.50
gphung193.50
      05-05-2022, 05:05 PM   #1397
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Voice control becomes almost necessary. Any possibility screens will be an equipment choice we don't know about yet? Curved display is listed with future M3 options. What's standard?
Name:  Special Edition BMW M3.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  91.9 KB

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 05-05-2022 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3611.50
      05-05-2022, 05:08 PM   #1398
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you

Isn't that the opposite
Well one screen and less physical buttons would mean less distractions and more enjoying the drive, no?
It's hard to say without experiencing it

I'm sure it is very well thought out
      05-05-2022, 05:09 PM   #1399
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
BTW, the climate control is still there, as you move your finger towards the lower part of the screen, the electronic slide for the cold/hot control appears.
That's just it, it's not a slide. You literally have to hit up or down multiple times to adjust the temp. See for yourself.

And I agree with the general consensus, the screen looks like an afterthought. It shouldn't be this way for any car, let alone a luxury one.
Interesting.. I could of swore remember seeing the climate control being slide-able in the iD8 demo video..

And I'm pretty sure that dude is unaware that the programmable memory keys are still there for 1 to 6 but they are now layout atop the screen display instead of being physical buttons.

I'll link my source when I locate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 05:11 PM   #1400
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm surprised by the hate for the iD8 screen.
It's a beautiful, high resolution, curved screen. These cars are going for a more and more modern/minimalistic look. We're not going backwards here.
Go check out an i4. It's wonderful in that car and doesn't look out of place at all. Seems to me like the older crowd is apprehensive to change.

I for one would be disappointed if the car got the current gen G80 dash. I want the latest and greatest and this is it.
Sports Cars are typically interpreted as something you drive seriously while focusing on the road ahead not the contents of the interior
Yea, It's a "sports cars" which more than 50% of its buyers will get it in an automatic to play with paddle shifters like they are operating a Gameboy, while on their way to pick up their kids or get groceries..

If one is looking for a proper sports car, there are endless options out there to choose from that can better scratch that inch. As far as I see, this is just a souped-up 2 Series that can still be had in a manual - BMW's one and only saving grace..

I, for one, welcome the new iDrive 8 technology, where the display is now rich in color saturation and contrast and word on the street is it mimics Tesla's interface, where a lot of the APPs are native to the system, such as Spotify or HBO Max, which can operate independently without being tethered to a cell phone. Cool stuff..
As long as CarPlay in present

That's one area where Tesla sucks
      05-05-2022, 05:13 PM   #1401
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Interesting.. I could of swore remember seeing the climate control being slide-able in the iD8 demo video..

And I'm pretty sure that dude is unaware that the programmable memory keys are still there for 1 to 6 but they are now layout atop the screen display instead of being physical buttons.

He mentions that the programable buttons are still there in that video. But, you have to go through multiple levels of the menu to get to them unlike the physical buttons.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
chrisk03153.00
      05-05-2022, 05:21 PM   #1402
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:

He mentions that the programable buttons are still there in that video. But, you have to go through multiple levels of the menu to get to them unlike the physical buttons.
Got you, thanks for the clarification. I really have to rewatch all the demo videos but I still believe consumers will get used to it. It's no more complicated than a new table or phone.

Outside of the M2, I'm sure BMW will offer a spartan version of this system to please the technophobes. Let's just wait and see how it all plays out because acting like the sky is falling.
Appreciate 1
Tag18156.50
      05-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #1403
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's a beautiful, high resolution, curved screen. These cars are going for a more and more modern/minimalistic look. We're not going backwards here.
Go check out an i4. It's wonderful in that car and doesn't look out of place at all. Seems to me like the older crowd is apprehensive to change.

I for one would be disappointed if the car got the current gen G80 dash. I want the latest and greatest and this is it.
Sports Cars are typically interpreted as something you drive seriously while focusing on the road ahead not the contents of the interior
Yea, It's a "sports cars" which more than 50% of its buyers will get it in an automatic to play with paddle shifters like they are operating a Gameboy, while on their way to pick up their kids or get groceries..

If one is looking for a proper sports car, there are endless options out there to choose from that can better scratch that inch. As far as I see, this is just a souped-up 2 Series that can still be had in a manual - BMW's one and only saving grace..

I, for one, welcome the new iDrive 8 technology, where the display is now rich in color saturation and contrast and word on the street is it mimics Tesla's interface, where a lot of the APPs are native to the system, such as Spotify or HBO Max, which can operate independently without being tethered to a cell phone. Cool stuff..
As long as CarPlay in present

That's one area where Tesla sucks
Funny, because the large iPad-esque display and auto pilot is all Tesla owners gloat about and Tesla are moving a ton of units, so the masses seem to be ok with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 05:27 PM   #1404
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Funny, because the large iPad-esque display and auto pilot is all Tesla owners gloat about and Tesla are moving a ton of units, so the masses seem to be ok with it.
That's not saying much though. Have you seen Telsa owners? They're first in line to suck Elon's D.
Appreciate 4
Poochie9104.50
P111572.00
chrisk03153.00
Ibiza3611.50
      05-05-2022, 05:31 PM   #1405
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Each to his own I guess. I've seen lately the reviews for the i4 and the screen looks awkwardly mounted with some weird out of place bases:

Looks like they retro fitted the screens in the current G80 dash and they came up with these solution to mount them, they don't look organic and natural, looks like a hack mount.

I think Mercedes is making a way better job at fitting the screens:
Porsche is good example of doing screens correctly.

The Taycan has screens everywhere and they are all built into the dash. Doesn't look like something tacked-on straight from the supplier.

Quote:
[/IMG]
Agree, the OLED screens in Escalade are executed very well.
Appreciate 4
pablom2c124.50
chrisk03153.00
Penguino1605.00
Ugly Kar414.50
      05-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #1406
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

You're falling for the cost-cutting trap. That's all it is. These screens are cheap and look cheap. Do you really want to pretend you're playing a video game, or have a proper dashboard and do some driving?

We look at enough screens at it is. Do we really now need to fill our cars with them? It's ridiculous.

What's next? You sit in your new M2, put on your silly Oculus headset and pretend you're going for a drive?
Appreciate 8
MmmmmM22588.50
chrisk03153.00
Ibiza3611.50
eddj464.50
Moflow2484.50
Ugly Kar414.50
      05-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #1407
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Voice control becomes almost necessary. Any possibility screens will be an equipment choice we don't know about yet? Curved display is listed with future M3 options. What's standard?
Attachment 2876424
Great question. Wonder if there's a chance these will be optional, but I'd imagine if that were true then the standard wouldn't be any better since they likely won't change the entire dash to accomodate.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 05:55 PM   #1408
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Take a look at this article

https://www.makeuseof.com/futuristic...nnot-wait-for/

I hate to say it, but if a giant screen is your thing or just think it's the way we are going, Mercedes does it waaaaaaaaay better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0