01-24-2024, 05:00 PM   #23
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecTaqlar View Post
The EVO SE coilovers are compatible with both the G20 and the G42 - they just don't have the compatibility list updated to reflect that , i've also confirmed this with some suppliers - like Evolve Automotive for example.

This part number - 49-305135 - in case someone else is searching.
Do you happen know if b16 work with the g42?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 02:59 AM   #24
SpecTaqlar
Romania
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC2er View Post
Do you happen know if b16 work with the g42?
I'm sorry - i'm not really sure .

I know for the EVO SE because i was on the market for them and did some research , but in the end i went with the Ohlins R&T - which are tried , confirmed and tested on the G42 and improve on both comfort and sport sides of the car.
Appreciate 1
AlexC2er108.00
      01-25-2024, 04:38 AM   #25
Troy1972
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Yes the Ohlins might even be al little better than the Bilsteins but I wanted to keep my EDC thats why I went for the Evo's.

So do you like the Ohlins?

They are being fitted rght now so I cant wait to pick the car up later today.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 07:25 AM   #26
SpecTaqlar
Romania
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy1972 View Post
Yes the Ohlins might even be al little better than the Bilsteins but I wanted to keep my EDC thats why I went for the Evo's.

So do you like the Ohlins?

They are being fitted rght now so I cant wait to pick the car up later today.
I haven't had the chance to test them - they are in the custom clearance process in my country ( romania ) , ordered them from X-PH and everything went very smooth and support was great - and even better priced ( even if you include oversea transport and taxes ) than the same coilovers bought in Europe. They weren't even in stock here - that being a separate discussion.

My initial approach was the same - best aftermarket coilover that retains EDC functionality - so EVO SE or KW DDC ( when they will be released for the G42 , they have a product in the pipeline ) - but after deeper analysis - it does seem that the monotube inverted DFV of the Ohlins are the best options to improve all aspects of the car dynamics - comfort and sport . I have not found specific SE reviews - but i did read some EVO S reviews ( non-EDC ) for a G20 330i - and the OP said that all potholes became traumatic experiences due to the sharp jolt that was transmitted into the cabin . With the bigger weight of the b58 upfront - i did not want to risk this.

Also , Ohlins lets you keep the ride height very close to stock - which is great for me , i don't want to lower my car , so i bit the bullet and did not wait for any hands-on revies of EDC dampers and bought the Ohlins and EDC delete.

I'm now - actually - looking forward to your experience with the SE's and as soon as i have them installed i will revert with my feedback - stricly regarding comfort / sport and rebound / compresssion - because i'm going also Vorschlag camber plates so that should improve dynamics even more.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 10:22 AM   #27
Troy1972
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I fully understand your choice and I think you cant go wrong with Ohlins, I have heard a lot of good stories about them and if you dont want to lower your car than this is a good option.

So here is my first experience after one day:

With the Evo SE's the car dynamics are comparable to my 2016 M4. In comfort the car drives smooth but you have far more car "feeling" than before and in sport (plus) the suspension is hard and you have the feeling of a sports car. The same goes with a full M model.

I am very happy with the EDC function, because if the Evo S is the sport mode on the SE than you will get annoyed by the hardness of the suspension.

I also changed the Pirelli's to Michelins 4S and had the car alligned this morning. The overall car feel is so much better. I always had the feeling the M240i had the potential of driving like a full M car if it wasnt for the suspension.

You were right about the lack of reviews, I only read some reviews of Porsche drivers who bought the Evo SE, they were satisfied and since the standard Porsche suspension is no joke I kind of trusted these reviews.

Overall I am very happy with my choice. I love the car now and I can enjoy the power and smoothness of the engine and transmission so much more now.
Appreciate 1