home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

09-09-2023, 04:11 PM   #1
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Street/Track Alignment Set Up

What is a good balance for camber and total toe, ft. and back, for street and track use. I track my car 4+ times a year. I also have camber plates up front. I have read about -2.5 camber and 0 toe ft. and about -1.5 camber and about 1/8" toe in rear. Just wondering what anyone is using.

Update: Was on the track. Front -2.5 camber 1/8 Toe Out Rear -1.5 camber and 1/8 toe in. Car handled well no complaints.
However I was on the track the an Elantra N that car passed me and I never caught it. I talked to the guy and he told me it was stock and yes that car is awesome. He has tracked M2s as well as other vehicles and he told me his favorite so far was the N.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.

Last edited by oldbmwtech; 10-09-2023 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
baron951703.50
      09-26-2023, 03:53 PM   #2
HardBoiled
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i (E92 M3 sold)

Hey there, I put ohlins (dont know how the spring rates compare to stock bc i never could find the oem values published, but rear spring rate is like double the front) on my car and the millway street camber plates. I think the answer might depend on your suspension/tire setup. I still have the stock non zhp 30 mil stagger. Yours sounds like a good alignment spec, im at a slightly more conservative -2 front camber, -1.5 rear. Havent driven at the limit yet but feels like there will still be some understeer til i go for square tires.
Appreciate 1
Fidiman113.00
      10-10-2023, 07:26 AM   #3
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: Was on the track. Front -2.5 camber 1/8 Toe Out Rear -1.5 camber and 1/8 toe in. Car handled well with a bit of understeer.
However, an Elantra N passed me and I never caught it. Didn't know that car was that fast. I talked to the guy and he told me it was stock and yes that car is awesome. He has tracked M2s as well as other vehicles and he told me his favorite so far was the N. Something I'm considering.
This is only my opinion as I'm a retired professional ASE master grease monkey technician, now instructor. Your best teacher is your last mistake. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 01:31 PM   #4
HardBoiled
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i (E92 M3 sold)

Whats your tire setup?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 05:31 PM   #5
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBoiled View Post
Whats your tire setup?
245/35/19
255/35/19
Yokos Advan Apex

I like the Yokos, they are a great street tire as well as track. They are very close to the Michs for street use. I tried Kumhos PS91 and they were garbage, very noisy and not round with a rough ride.
Appreciate 0