home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

02-27-2024, 02:40 PM   #23
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

I'm not on mobile anymore so I can see location, if it is in fact Chicago your struts would have probably leaked at 20k anyway, roads worse than Iraq up there.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 03:33 PM   #24
BoilerM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG42 View Post
I'm not on mobile anymore so I can see location, if it is in fact Chicago your struts would have probably leaked at 20k anyway, roads worse than Iraq up there.
Hahha. Amen.
Wife hit two potholes in a span of two months on 290 in our IS350 and had to replace the tires both times. First time all four, second time just the one. Needless to say I opted for the insurance the second time it happened. Argh.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 11:32 PM   #25
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
I might have to toss my eibachs on they have been sitting in the garage for a while now, I was hoping they would TSB the thump so I could avoid them blaming the springs later on for it but it doesn't seem like that will happen anytime soon. The cars look so good lowered even an inch.
I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve been considering lowering the car as some have reported this helped with the F22 2-series that had a similar problem.

Edit: I see you installed yours. Not sure if I asked in another thread, but any update on the thump?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 05:05 AM   #26
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thump still there, with the axel back and aa dp and a tad bit of music it's drowned out enough I don't really care just going to enjoy the car. It looks 1000x better lowered so I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 03:42 PM   #27
BoilerM
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasG42 View Post
I was going to say, that seems pretty out of the ordinary. The Eibach springs are only a 3/4-inch drop. That would be like your shocks going out after driving around with four heavy passengers for 5 months.

I'm not saying you are incorrect or lying, I'm just saying that tens of thousands of people have Eibach springs that giving mild drop on their vehicles

Just got my car back after having the Eibachs removed and Bilstein EVO SE coilovers installed. The shop confirmed that three of the struts were completely blown - both fronts and one rear. He said BMW now uses Monroe as their supplier and that may be part of the problem as he agreed blown struts on Eibach/H&R springs in the past hasn't been an issue. He wasn't surprised though. Maybe I just got unlucky (struts blew after only 2k miles on the Eibachs and less than 20k miles on the car), but just a word of caution as I had to learn the hard way and now have a set of Eibach ProKit springs I need to unload. Good luck to all and enjoy the weekend!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VegasG42373.50
      03-22-2024, 03:52 PM   #28
VegasG42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerM View Post
Just got my car back after having the Eibachs removed and Bilstein EVO SE coilovers installed. The shop confirmed that three of the struts were completely blown - both fronts and one rear. He said BMW now uses Monroe as their supplier and that may be part of the problem as he agreed blown struts on Eibach/H&R springs in the past hasn't been an issue. He wasn't surprised though. Maybe I just got unlucky (struts blew after only 2k miles on the Eibachs and less than 20k miles on the car), but just a word of caution as I had to learn the hard way and now have a set of Eibach ProKit springs I need to unload. Good luck to all and enjoy the weekend!
Good to know. I've had it in the back of my mind that I would need to go coilovers in the future. Hopefully I will at least get a year or so out of the current setup before the ride goes to sh1t.

And your new drop looks perfect . Have you had a chance to do any spirited driving yet ?

Do you have a link to your coilovers ? I entered my car into the product search on Bilsteins site , and it said no products available.

And by the way , you should have no trouble letting those spring go for a couple hundred shipped , i would imagine
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 04:08 PM   #29
BoilerM
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know. I've had it in the back of my mind that I would need to go coilovers in the future. Hopefully I will at least get a year or so out of the current setup before the ride goes to sh1t.

And your new drop looks perfect . Have you had a chance to do any spirited driving yet ?

Do you have a link to your coilovers ? I entered my car into the product search on Bilsteins site , and it said no products available.

And by the way , you should have no trouble letting those spring go for a couple hundred shipped , i would imagine
Thanks! The guys at the shop did their best to match the Eibach drop as that is the perfect drop.
Use Manufacturer Part #: 49-305135.
Confirmed that these will work on our m240i xdrives.
No spirited driving yet as it is snowing….give me a couple more weeks!
Appreciate 1
VegasG42373.50
      03-22-2024, 09:33 PM   #30
NoDramaG42
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240x G42

Quote:
Thats insane. I am on even lower and stiffer MMR springs. The car barely had 400 mi when i installed them .

Anywho, I am not to concerned with the blown struts. I am so looking forward to the EVO SE
How do these EVO SEs fare vs the oem+springs? Ride quality and agility / cornering wise?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 11:02 PM   #31
BoilerM
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDramaG42 View Post
Thats insane. I am on even lower and stiffer MMR springs. The car barely had 400 mi when i installed them .

Anywho, I am not to concerned with the blown struts. I am so looking forward to the EVO SE
How do these EVO SEs fare vs the oem+springs? Ride quality and agility / cornering wise?
With wet snow on the ground I haven’t been able to put it through some tests, but so far so good. Troy’s post will give you better insight into performance.
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30855527
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:17 AM   #32
vntperformance
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 23 M240iDrive*

Quote:
With wet snow on the ground I haven’t been able to put it through some tests, but so far so good. Troy’s post will give you better insight into performance.
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30855527
How much do you want for the old eibach springs?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:59 AM   #33
BoilerM
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vntperformance View Post
How much do you want for the old eibach springs?
They sold quick over the weekend; thanks for the interest.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 09:06 AM   #34
Troy1972
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDramaG42 View Post

I had eibach springs before I got the Evo SE's and its a night and day difference. The eibach springs is just the drop, the shitty unstable ride didnt change after the eibach springs.

Now its a complete different car, the ride is like a full M car. Stable, planted on the road and direct in steering. The nose moves twice as fast after steering in corners.
Fast consecutive corners are no problem where with the oem suspension it felt dangerously unstable with the chassis waving from left to right.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2024, 08:01 PM   #35
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Dammit, I'm already starting to notice the sloppy ride again.

Immediately after the Eibach install , the car felt better and more planted.

Now I'm notcicing more bumps and general squirrellyness. I also don't feel confident going into curves at high rates of speed.

Looks like this $4k permanent fix will be in the somewhat near future.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 10:19 AM   #36
akim89
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i x-drive

Quote:
Dammit, I'm already starting to notice the sloppy ride again.

Immediately after the Eibach install , the car felt better and more planted.

Now I'm notcicing more bumps and general squirrellyness. I also don't feel confident going into curves at high rates of speed.

Looks like this $4k permanent fix will be in the somewhat near future.
Dang that's unfortunate. Can you elaborate a bit on the ride quality? Is it bouncy at all?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 11:41 AM   #37
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akim89 View Post
Dang that's unfortunate. Can you elaborate a bit on the ride quality? Is it bouncy at all?
The ride isn't really bouncy just yet. It's more so that immediately after you get the springs installed, you appreciate a bit firmer ride. But after driving for a while, you really realize it's very similar to the stock ride. Which of course, isn't so great.

Especially after hearing descriptions of how great the ride should be with a set of true coilovers. It makes you realize that even with a lowering springs, the ride isn't so great. It still looks great though, and I would still much rather have the Eibach
installed then have it stock. But, there's the issue of decreasing the life of the stock shocks and struts.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 01:17 PM   #38
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If you are still on the stock run flats some ps4s will make it feel much better.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 09:01 PM   #39
VegasG42
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If you are still on the stock run flats some ps4s will make it feel much better.
I ordered the car with the performance non-run flats.

Came with Pirelli P Zeros.

And I'm not trying to say the ride is horrible, but knowing it can be so much better with coilovers makes me constantly take note of the deficiencies .
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 05:34 AM   #40
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
I ordered the car with the performance non-run flats.

Came with Pirelli P Zeros.

And I'm not trying to say the ride is horrible, but knowing it can be so much better with coilovers makes me constantly take note of the deficiencies .
But would you have these same thoughts if there wasn’t someone else that had the springs and then went to coilovers saying they thought the ride was garbage on the springs?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 06:55 AM   #41
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
But would you have these same thoughts if there wasn’t someone else that had the springs and then went to coilovers saying they thought the ride was garbage on the springs?
You gotta take everything with a grain of salt on the webs especially with cars. We had that one dude in here telling us how fast his stock 230 was, its all relative to what you know. That 230 might have been the fastest car hes ever owned or driven. Personally springs and tires are more than enough for me, have a longer off camber 270 degree turn on ramp near me. Posted speed is like 25 for it, easily doable at 60+ in the BMW the awd coming out feels great, I can do it as fast in my vette but it can get sketchy coming out if I'm not careful. So imo its not bad enough to warrant spending a ton of money on it especially considering its a luxury sport coupe. That being said once these shocks go I will do coil overs then, at 5-6k miles a year though I may not even have the car long enough for that. With the non ztk cars I think part of that weird feeling is the 225 up front. The stock Pirellis run flat or not are also junk.
Appreciate 1
Rdurty2682.50
      03-27-2024, 07:31 AM   #42
Troy1972
Rep

In this case it doesnt have anything to do with relativeness I think. It has everthing to do with what you look for in a car and what your standards are depending on how you will drive the car.

As a daily driver the oem suspension is sufficient. If you drive fast in the straight it is also doing its job well enough. But if you take it to the track or drive on the public road like you are on a track the suspension is just not good enough. Mainly because of the weight of the car.

Watch this review in case you havent already:

Although I do think springs can have a slight improvement in handling because of the fact the car being closer to the ground this is definitely not enough to make the M240i handle like a full M car. But again this might not be the wish of every M240i driver.

It was my wish because I like my cars to drive like a razor and this car has so many potential which I felt I couldnt use with toe oem suspension.
Appreciate 1
Red_sir131.50
      03-27-2024, 07:42 AM   #43
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's a dude that I'm sure is a better driver than 90% or more of the forum. What you look for is literally relative. Also coils won't account for the chasis or the fact the m2 is rolling on 275/285 tires. If you wanted razor the m lite was the wrong car and by the time you get it to m2 levels you may as well bought an m2.
Appreciate 1
Rdurty2682.50
      03-27-2024, 08:59 AM   #44
Troy1972
Rep

Luckily i am part of the other 10%��

And no, the M2 was 50k euro more expensive here in Holland. Coilover, brakes and swaybar is all it needs to match M2. 8k max, so 42k in the pocket ��
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201842.50