BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

02-12-2024, 06:23 PM   #1
ZM240i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Arrow Cleaning the Brake Calipers

Help! My brake calipers look really nasty after all these rain in SoCal.

The crud really seems to be stuck there really good.

Do you guys have any tips on how to clean/detail the calipers without removing the wheels? Any special brush or tool to reach the calipers?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 06:42 PM   #2
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

P&S Brake Buster is great, so is Koch Chemie Magic Wheel Cleaner (MWC). I use a detail brush from Amazon, you can also use a microfiber towel.

It’s a tight fit with the wheels on but it’s doable, let the chemicals dwell to help. If you don’t use MWC, I would also recommend an iron decontamination like CarPro IronX.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2024, 09:37 PM   #3
ZM240i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
P&S Brake Buster is great, so is Koch Chemie Magic Wheel Cleaner (MWC). I use a detail brush from Amazon, you can also use a microfiber towel.

It’s a tight fit with the wheels on but it’s doable, let the chemicals dwell to help. If you don’t use MWC, I would also recommend an iron decontamination like CarPro IronX.
Can you please provide a link to the detail brush?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 10:50 AM   #4
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM240i View Post
Can you please provide a link to the detail brush?
This is the one I use for lug nuts and calipers.

Chemical Guys Boar's Hair... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N8RI67Q...p_mob_ap_share
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2024, 08:57 AM   #5
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

Along with a typical microfiber hand mitt, I use this one for the outside of the wheel's crevices and so forth.

Then, for the back inside of the wheels I use one like this. The cover on mine comes off and I can drag it around the inside back of the wheels and along the brake calipers using the wand instead of my hand to drag it around. The wand itself has a foam cover so no damage to wheels. If you buy this one, just make sure the cover comes off because it isn't very useful as it is for wheels.

I do not use these for anything except my wheels. I have other brushes for tires and others for body work.

I also have found that a ceramic car wash helps to keep the wheels a little cleaner in between washes. Pretty brutal what wheels are subjected to so I try to give them some love.
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2024, 08:24 PM   #6
ZM240i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
This is the one I use for lug nuts and calipers.

Chemical Guys Boar's Hair... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N8RI67Q...p_mob_ap_share
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
Along with a typical microfiber hand mitt, I use this one for the outside of the wheel's crevices and so forth.

Then, for the back inside of the wheels I use one like this. The cover on mine comes off and I can drag it around the inside back of the wheels and along the brake calipers using the wand instead of my hand to drag it around. The wand itself has a foam cover so no damage to wheels. If you buy this one, just make sure the cover comes off because it isn't very useful as it is for wheels.

I do not use these for anything except my wheels. I have other brushes for tires and others for body work.

I also have found that a ceramic car wash helps to keep the wheels a little cleaner in between washes. Pretty brutal what wheels are subjected to so I try to give them some love.

Thank you both for the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 01:04 PM   #7
BG42
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

I use meguiars ultimate wheel cleaner, spray on let sit for a couple mins hit it with the power washer, every few washes ill brush the inner barrel. Really good cleaner if you have never tried it.
Appreciate 0