BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

03-01-2024, 11:32 AM   #1
Troy1972
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

M240i brakes

Is there anyone that has upgrades their brakes on the M240i?
I dont like them at all, braking from lets say 200 km/h feels like I have to pray sometimes to stop in time.
I live in Holland and I am near the Autobahn in Germany so I go there sometime. Just saying in case of people thinking I am some kind of speed criminal.

I am looking at the M performance brakes, I had them before and they are quite good, not too expensive either.

Anyone any experience with changing brakes?
Appreciate 1
hooked190.00
      03-01-2024, 02:23 PM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

I changed from stock to M perfomance dimpled and slotted brakes on my F36 and it was night and day.
However, I have the ZKT pack on the G42 and find stock are fine.

I’m sure if you got the full M performance set you be more than happy but it’s not a cheap upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 04:05 PM   #3
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I changed from stock to M perfomance dimpled and slotted brakes on my F36 and it was night and day.
However, I have the ZKT pack on the G42 and find stock are fine.

I’m sure if you got the full M performance set you be more than happy but it’s not a cheap upgrade.
I have the upgraded brake and wheel/tire package in the US too and the brakes are decent but sometimes I have to "stand" on the pedal to get them to bite as hard as I want/need them to. I've had the dealer check them out and they are up to spec., so not sure why they work this way. Can be a little hair raising when you need them to do their job!
Appreciate 1
nype138.00
      03-02-2024, 08:52 AM   #4
vTuga
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330e G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy1972 View Post
Is there anyone that has upgrades their brakes on the M240i?
I dont like them at all, braking from lets say 200 km/h feels like I have to pray sometimes to stop in time.
I live in Holland and I am near the Autobahn in Germany so I go there sometime. Just saying in case of people thinking I am some kind of speed criminal.

I am looking at the M performance brakes, I had them before and they are quite good, not too expensive either.

Anyone any experience with changing brakes?
From what you are saying, your problem is not the brakes. A brake upgrade makes sense if you are doing repeated all-out braking, like on a track. In that scenario it makes sense to upgrade, more because of brake fade and overheating.

You are refering to the stopping distance when you do heavy braking. That has more to do with the quality and contact patch of the tires, and the quality of the suspension.

Last edited by vTuga; 03-02-2024 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 11:29 AM   #5
Troy1972
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Hi Tuga,

Very interesting videos and surprising aswell.
Although I now believe that bigger discs do not decrease braking distance I still have to investigate why I think my cars brakes are not good enough.

1 month ago I have put on new Michelin PS4s and a complete Bilstein coilover suspension on the car so that should not be the problem.

Maybe I should just have the braking system checked, oil, pads etc...

Do the M performance brakes also have different calipers and pistons? They should have because the M performance discs dont fit on the Msport calipers?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 11:43 AM   #6
vTuga
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330e G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy1972 View Post
Hi Tuga,

Very interesting videos and surprising aswell.
Although I now believe that bigger discs do not decrease braking distance I still have to investigate why I think my cars brakes are not good enough.

1 month ago I have put on new Michelin PS4s and a complete Bilstein coilover suspension on the car so that should not be the problem.

Maybe I should just have the braking system checked, oil, pads etc...

Do the M performance brakes also have different calipers and pistons? They should have because the M performance discs dont fit on the Msport calipers?
I think they have, yes. Also different pads.

What size tires do you have on the front? Wider front wheels and tires should improve braking distance a lot more than better brakes. If you improve the breaks without increasing the contact patch of the tires with the ground, you will remain traction limited. Probably will just trigger the ABS sooner.
Appreciate 0