Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 m240ix, '18 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by giolanzarin View Post
MPG is not bad, about the same as my past SUV;
25.5 mpg.

I'll take some better pictures when I can!

[IMG][/IMG]
I'm impressed you're getting more than 25 mpg

With every photo I've seen, I love that mineral white metallic more and more. I love the black sapphire metallic, but the mineral white looks exceptional with the shadowline. Great choice!
2015 VW Golf 1.8t 5-speed (sold)
2004 Chevy Cavalier (hopefully crushed by now)
Appreciate 1
yanks1484.00
      12-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #25
yanks1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Mustang GT Vert 5-speed

I like the white exterior also. but already own a white Mustang. But must say do not like the Cognac interior as many do.. not my style
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #26
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 4 2 reasons View Post
I love the cognac interior. After being in two '22 BMWs with vernasca leather the imperfections really stood out to my eye and didn't feel any better. I love how my BSM and photos I've seen of the BG appear different colors with changing light outside. That being said, boy the black does get dirty quickly.
Not to worry. The last 3 out of 5 sports sedans I’ve owned have been black so I’m used to it. I try and keep my cars pretty clean and my current white 330i doesn’t get cleaned “less frequently” than any of my previous black sedans.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #27
jmase248
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I'll keep it short and sweet…

I love everything about this car! I've driven it up the coast on PCH and the car drives great in comfort mode. In sport plus it's a beast!

Also, the Harman Kardon sound system is great. Lastly, this car is tough… I was rear ended 2 days after getting it and you can barely tell there was damage to the diffuser after a pretty decent hit…

Repairs are pending due to supply chain being trash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      12-22-2021, 03:50 PM   #28
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 4 2 reasons View Post
I'm impressed you're getting more than 25 mpg

With every photo I've seen, I love that mineral white metallic more and more. I love the black sapphire metallic, but the mineral white looks exceptional with the shadowline. Great choice!
IMO BMW’s Mineral White is one of the best automotive white colors.

If I didn’t own a Mineral White 330i, it would have been a much more difficult decision.

Bob
Appreciate 1
yanks1484.00
      12-22-2021, 03:59 PM   #29
Hendo741
Chief Petty Officer
Rep
Drives: 22 M4CX / 22 X3MC

I'll throw my thoughts in here to help out with those of you on the fence or suffering through the wait. I'll list some pros/cons and overall impressions. For context, I sold my 2021 Supra 3.0 premium to purchase the M240. My other rides at the moment are a tuned 18 RS3 and a built motor big turbo STi hatch. I do track and autocross my cars, though I'm not purchasing the M240 for those purposes, it'll get a few laps eventually. Since I replaced the Supra with it, that is where most of my comparisons will come from.

Pros:
-The AWD. Considering this has the same power train as the Supra except to all 4 wheels vice 2, I enjoy being able to mash it and not be worried that the car will get out of sorts. The Supra (or mine at least) always felt nervous. Something was up with the rear suspension. Under hard acceleration you could feel the rear end squirm. None of that in the M240. It feels very planted and confidence inspiring, while still being able to get the rear to rotate if desired.

-Interior and Tech. The interior is miles above the Supra. Roomier with better visibility, and a back seat. iDrive 7 is responsive and more intuitive than previous versions. The all LCD dash is a plus. Mine has the HD radio and Sirius delete but built in Spotify negates the need for anything else imo. It has wireless carplay/android auto, but the car already has nav and spotify so I don’t use. Just bluetooth to the phone for phone call capability. Adjustable ambient lighting is always cool. You can change color and brightness. Steering wheel is nice and fat and isn’t super hard. The HK sound system is far superior to the trash JBL that came in the supra. Very similar feel if maybe even a little better than the interior of the RS3. Obviously in the sport luxury category, where the Supra never felt that way.

-Styling. Now I know this is 100% subjective, but I think the car looks much better in person. I love the front end from most angles. It has strong and aggressive lines that give it a very muscle car vibe. Loving the hood and the power bulge. For some reason the door handles are one of my favorite things. Something that no one ever thinks about but it is very different in todays cars and reminds me of my Dads 1985 Monte Carlo SS and having to lift the handle, while also retaining the clean and smooth door. The rear is... well not my favorite, but I dont hate it. I'm hoping a CF spoiler helps lol. I'll touch more on the rear in the cons section.

-Driving. Car is a great tourer. Has a ton of torque down low and on tap in any gear at any RPM accompanied by a ton of grip. It is very responsive yet not twitchy or edgy. Suspension does a very good job of being firm but also compliant. I keep it in sport plus mode with 0 complaints. Not harsh at all.

Cons:
-Power and performance. The grip comes at a price. You really can feel the extra weight. The car takes off like a bat out of hell from a dig, but then falls on its face pretty hard. Context reminder: This is my opinion coming from a tuned RS3, a Supra 3.0 with a JB4 and a 500 WHP Subaru. This car no doubt has power. It is also almost 4000 lbs and it is apparent. Same with driving hard into corners as far as I can tell. My car came with all season run flats, and they are trash. They were replaced today with DWS 06 plus, so I’ll get a better feel for the handling in a few days.

-Interior. Why can’t US customers get the M sport seats??? The standard seats are OK but lack butt bolsters of any sort. Mine has leather with blue stitching, and they look nice and are comfortable, but the only bolster that does anything is the side bolsters. Seat may as well be a comfy bench.

-Styling. As mentioned, the front is aggressive with hard lines which I loke a lot. Why is the rear bubbly and round? Did 2 different teams design the exterior? I don’t hate it, but it really could be better. I’m hoping a CF spoiler adds to the look and distracts from the bubble butt.

Final Thoughts:
I really like the car. It is quick and sporty with grip and power but doesn’t scare you at all. If you want thrills, look elsewhere. The interior is nice and feels like a mid range BMW should. It is a great daily that you can also have a hoot in. If you want pure performance or plan on going to the track, this isn’t the car for you.

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 14
      12-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #30
G42M240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Great feedback everyone!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 10:44 PM   #31
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumizi206 View Post
It's a very capable daily driver but honestly I'm a little underwhelmed by the steering and handling coming from an Alfa Giulia QV. Probably not a fair comparison.

Seats are great
Steering wheel feels good in your hands
Throttle response in sport plus mode is awesome.
Acceleration from a stop is plenty fast.
All the tech works great. (remote start never worked on my Alfa)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo741 View Post
Cons:
-Power and performance. The grip comes at a price. You really can feel the extra weight. The car takes off like a bat out of hell from a dig, but then falls on its face pretty hard. Context reminder: This is my opinion coming from a tuned RS3, a Supra 3.0 with a JB4 and a 500 WHP Subaru. This car no doubt has power. It is also almost 4000 lbs and it is apparent. Same with driving hard into corners as far as I can tell. My car came with all season run flats, and they are trash. They were replaced today with DWS 06 plus, so I’ll get a better feel for the handling in a few days.
[/IMG]
Both of you got cars with the 225/40 square all-season run flats setup. That’s going to make a not-insignificant difference in the handling performance.

The Giulia QV comes stock with a staggered 245/285 setup. The rubber is Pirelli PZero Corsa, a super-sticky tire with a 60 treadwear rating. For comparison, the street gold-standard Michelin PS4S has a wear rating of 300. I have extensive experience with the QV; it’s not the same car without the ‘streetable track’ Pirellis.

Regarding the comparison to cars with 400whp+, it’s clear the stock B58 even in pumped up G20/22 form isn’t going to be a match. I don’t think the car’s lack of exciting top end can be attributed to excessive weight, that’s just the stock B58’s powerband. Top-end fireworks are always reserved for full M cars with “S” motors (OG M2 doesn’t count).

If anyone’s looking for driving impressions of the M240i from a multi-generation M owner (E46 through G82, 30+ cars) properly contextualized around those ownership experiences, you can find my updated thoughts here.

https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=37

Future owners, you will not be disappointed.
Appreciate 3
EXE462101.50
FreeDarko217.00
FastTyger148.50
      12-22-2021, 10:57 PM   #32
kumizi206
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 m240i

I have Michelin PS4S on both cars.

My point was don’t buy this car if it’s going to be your “fun weekend car.” It’s a good all rounder.

I haven’t owned any BMWs.

🤣 at multi generational M owner clout.

Last edited by kumizi206; 12-22-2021 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 11:09 PM   #33
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I have Michelin PS4S on both cars.
Cool - that brings things closer. What sizes did you go with on each?

Re: steering, the QV has a remarkably fast rack that I doubt even the G87 will match. I think the precision is on par.

Quote:
�� at multi generational M owner clout.
I also have lots of ownership experience of Italian hardware far more impressive than a Giulia QV.

Quote:
My point was don’t buy this car if it’s going to be your “fun weekend car.”
Would be interested to hear about any significantly better choices at ~$50k new.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #34
crazylilthing02
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Fiesta ST

I like hearing from people who daily drive this car. I enjoy good mountain roads on my days off, but majority of my time is a 110ish mile, 2 hour on good roads (more when it snows) round trip commute with half of that on the highway.

I currently have a fiesta st, and I love this little thing for the twisty roads here. It's going to take some getting used to a rear wheel bias car after a lifetime of mostly fwd. I loathe to actually sell or trade it in too tbh.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #35
.Slug
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Would be interested to hear about any significantly better choices at ~$50k new.
Completely different platform type... but Tesla Model 3 Performance. My 2022 was $57K, then minus the $2K CA rebate, so around $55K before tax etc. My M240 build was $56K with options excluding tax. Incredibly fun car so far with fully adjustable driving dynamics, a track mode, and much more economical for the price point. The 3.1 sec zero to 60 never gets boring. Changing the AWD bias to rear and drift mode makes the car more fun to drive than the 2021 BMW M2 I sold to buy it.

The interior of the Tesla is not so hot, but the seats are incredibly comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 12:19 PM   #36
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Quote:

In my opinion none. The G42 is not perfect (a bit porky with an odd rear), but if you're in the market for a somewhat luxury/ practical/ efficient coupe with very respectable power (and optional AWD)... you have almost no other options. If you expand to sedans & hatches you get a bit more competition (see my comments on the S3 & Golf TH comparison thread), but I spoiler alert, I think the M240i wins out. The only future competition I see is potentially from Mercedes if they make a new A45 actual coupe (but it will be a 2L), but I think they will only go sedan in the US.

RE the Tesla 3... ya it will win in a straight line, but as noted a completely different segment. I personally want one more ICE car before they're not a thing anymore.
Appreciate 5
      12-23-2021, 02:50 PM   #37
Hendo741
Chief Petty Officer
Rep

Quote:
Both of you got cars with the 225/40 square all-season run flats setup. That’s going to make a not-insignificant difference in the handling performance.
I'm well aware. Hence why I mentioned it in my write up...

Quote:
Regarding the comparison to cars with 400whp+, it’s clear the stock B58 even in pumped up G20/22 form isn’t going to be a match. I don’t think the car’s lack of exciting top end can be attributed to excessive weight, that’s just the stock B58’s powerband.
You do realize that the Supra has the exact same B58 right. In a 500 lb lighter car. I put about 3k miles in the Supra in stock form before the JB4, so I can tell you definitively that you can feel the weight difference.

Quote:
If anyone’s looking for driving impressions of the M240i from a multi-generation M owner (E46 through G82, 30+ cars) properly contextualized around those ownership experiences, you can find my updated thoughts here.
Sounds more like a BMW fanboi impression. Likely to be full of bias. Obviously trying to grind an axe because a few owners offered their opinion on a vehicle they actually own and have been living with vice a test drive, and admitted the short comings of the car.

Quote:
Future owners, you will not be disappointed.
I agree with this statement assuming they aren't looking for an edgy drivers sports car, because the G42 isn't that. Putting the car on a pedestal and viewing it only through rose colored glasses could lead to disappointment just as easily, if not more so, as speaking on the reality of the car.

Again, the G42 is a great car and I am very happy with the purchase. It is very good at being a comfy daily touring car. If you're buying it to be a weekend track car play toy, I think you're making a mistake.
Appreciate 3
Mavus2038.50
Kay.Say15.00
      12-23-2021, 03:03 PM   #38
Hendo741
Chief Petty Officer
Rep

Quote:

There is a plethora of good cars starting 50-60 and below. All depends on buyers preferences and what they want out of a car. RS3 starts at 57, Supra 53. Mustang mach 1, Camaro 1LE, hell a 718 cayman starts at like 59 I think. If someone was dead set on AWD and couldn't swing an RS3, the S3 or golf R are cheaper than the M240, but still fun peppy cars that can be a daily as well.

All about finding the right car for what you want to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #39
Hendo741
Chief Petty Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylilthing02 View Post
I like hearing from people who daily drive this car. I enjoy good mountain roads on my days off, but majority of my time is a 110ish mile, 2 hour on good roads (more when it snows) round trip commute with half of that on the highway.

I currently have a fiesta st, and I love this little thing for the twisty roads here. It's going to take some getting used to a rear wheel bias car after a lifetime of mostly fwd. I loathe to actually sell or trade it in too tbh.
I think you're going to love the M240. Car sounds perfect for what your post says you're going to do with it. It's not going to be as nimble as your little ST, but it'll make up for the nimbleness is pure POWER!!
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2021, 04:17 PM   #40
tahoebimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Slug View Post
Quote:
Completely different platform type... but Tesla Model 3 Performance. My 2022 was $57K, then minus the $2K CA rebate, so around $55K before tax etc. My M240 build was $56K with options excluding tax. Incredibly fun car so far with fully adjustable driving dynamics, a track mode, and much more economical for the price point. The 3.1 sec zero to 60 never gets boring. Changing the AWD bias to rear and drift mode makes the car more fun to drive than the 2021 BMW M2 I sold to buy it.

The interior of the Tesla is not so hot, but the seats are incredibly comfortable.
Please don't take this personally but I cross shopped the Tesla Model 3 performance and the M240i and I just couldn't get excited about the Tesla.

It was mostly because of the appearance…especially the interior which is basically featureless plastic and a large iPad. The exterior looks bland and frog-like from the front to me.

I drove it for quite a while and it doesn't feel sporty, unless you point it and floor the accelerator and then it's pure joy.

My friend has a model Y performance and that's how he drives his. Point and shoot. I refuse to get in his car now 😄

Both of my friends who own Teslas feel like the build quality like panel fit is terrible, but of course mechanically there isn't as much to maintain so they feel like it's a decent trade off.

I just couldn't pull the trigger on one, but it was easy to do so for the M240i which felt like exactly what I wanted. I know my opinions don't match how others feel about Teslas though.
Appreciate 3
      12-23-2021, 06:23 PM   #41
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

I'm sure an EV is in the inevitable future for me,
but without charging facilities in our apartment garage just yet, the new G42 was an obvious choice coming from my 2019 F22.

While I still lust after a true M car, the previous m240xi proved to be a great car for us. Compact, but still enough cargo room with the seats folded down for the occasional bicycle haul and bags of mulch duty.
Performance was the best I've owned, coming from an N54 equipped 3 series. In reality, the gen1 B58 in the F22 was a good match to the daily driving. While I'm sure I could handle an M3, it might tempt me to get into even more trouble. I really liked pushing the F22, so the extra 50hp or so on the G42 should be most satisfactory.
When I consider some of the previous comments, I think one of the 2 series greatest
characteristics is that it is a great GT car.
I could drive the F22 for 4-5 hours straight in traffic crawls and 85+ cruising and get out feeling pretty good, and I had a fun drive.
No, I wouldn't consider it a true sports car, it is kinda massy. But it can be driven in a spirited fashion better than a lot of other cars out there.
(I really would like to ban that whole "wait for the G87 M2" sentiment from this thread, I get it, and when it's available, then let's talk)

Just got word mines on the ship, so due in mid January. Let's keep the party going!
      12-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #42
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo741 View Post
There is a plethora of good cars starting 50-60 and below. All depends on buyers preferences and what they want out of a car. RS3 starts at 57, Supra 53. Mustang mach 1, Camaro 1LE, hell a 718 cayman starts at like 59 I think. If someone was dead set on AWD and couldn't swing an RS3, the S3 or golf R are cheaper than the M240, but still fun peppy cars that can be a daily as well.

All about finding the right car for what you want to do with it.
First of all, thanks for your detailed write-up comparing it to the Supra. I personally love the Supra, but it doesn't fit my needs now (do it all car that can get through Chicago winters easily).

Anyways about the comparisons... The Mustang Mach1 & Camaro 1LE have laughable gas mileage and thus are off my list (plus the 'hick' sigma is too great imo). The Cayman is flashy, but impractical and gets VERY pricy with all the add-ons. Similarly the RS3 will be much more than a fully loaded M240i, closer to the M2 (also in performance). The S3 & Golf R are honestly the best to compare; however, one is a sedan, the other a hatch, while only the M240i is a coupe. The only AWD coupe I'd compare the Mlite to is the Mercedes C43... which after adding features on runs like $7K more (and is less sporty, efficient, fast, etc.). Finally, I love the new Z even more than the Supra (for the price), but my issue is they both don't have back seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #43
Dynamodux
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m240i

Have the Tesla's improved their build quality these days?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 08:51 PM   #44
GmaineG80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamodux View Post
Have the Tesla's improved their build quality these days?
Honestly no…I loved my Tesla but the build quality is what ultimately brought me back to BMW. I went through a 2018 Model 3 Performance and then a 2020 Model Y Performance with build quality lacking on both. Amazing cars but really appreciate the simple things like the solid thunk of closing a BMW door.
Appreciate 2
TJZ67201843.50
Nate48150.00