BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-07-2022, 10:04 PM   #89
NoSuchSol
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
So you really can't mess this up. I wonder where the issue is.
It can be pinched or torn when working in a tight spot. It's something you'll deal with if you're working on tablets, phones, laptops, or weird car stuff. I.E. fixing JoyCon drift.

Even in the video posted in this thread, you can see the ribbon cable get pushed down when he's installing the new shifter. Wrong tool, too much force and it's easy to mess up.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 10:08 PM   #90
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteninjazx6r View Post
We're beating a dead horse here, but this part was NEVER listed as a compatible part. If you went to a dealer and asked them to look up the M Perf shifter for your 2022 M240i, they'd tell you nothing showed up. It just so happens that the shifter for the g20 fits the G42. That's all. And regardless...this does NOT mean your part replacement you did on your own should be covered under warranty. Especially because the part isn't causing failures, the bad install is. Siiiiigh.
I think you're jumping the gun here with the "Siiiigh", chief. Based on what Ron is saying, when he ordered his car, this part was listed as available/compatible for the G42. Sounds like a mistake on BMW's part that they are not owning up to being they've since removed it.
Appreciate 1
rons e921423.00
      08-07-2022, 10:15 PM   #91
tomahawk997
Private
Rep
Drives: Slow Machine

My car is dead after switching to the M Performance CF Gear lever

So I am assuming the dealer will not be installing the M performance shifter when the part comes in since the VIN is incompatible?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 08:40 AM   #92
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
BMW no longer lists this lever as a supported accessory for G42 2-series cars.

Someone posted in this thread about their CA entering their VIN and being told the part was incompatible.

It's also no longer listed on shopbmwusa.com when you enter in 2022 M240i xDrive.

You also can no longer order this part as a port installed accessory.

So BMW is saying you can't use this, after saying you could and a bunch of people having issues.
Not being able to enjoy your new car is worst case! Sorry about your inconvenience thus far with ownership. Is it possible they no longer list the shift lever as an option because 2023s are coming with that little pull lever shifter instead now?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #93
whiteninjazx6r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
I think you're jumping the gun here with the "Siiiigh", chief. Based on what Ron is saying, when he ordered his car, this part was listed as available/compatible for the G42. Sounds like a mistake on BMW's part that they are not owning up to being they've since removed it.
The part may have been available and listed on Getbmwparts.com, but it was never listed for any of our cars at a dealer when they input VIN. They aren't going to and don't need to "own up" to anything. Plus, plenty of people have installed it and it works fine. It's clearly...100% clearly an installation issue. That what the sigh is for. I'm all for manufacturers and dealers being help responsible for their screw ups, but not for wrongful blaming. If you work on your own car, take responsibility for the fact that you might mess something up. I do some DIY stuff on my car and intake that risk.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 10:10 AM   #94
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Agreed on the owner of the car taking that risk. I guess the gray area that is not clear to me is where Ron saw it as compatible for the G42.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #95
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Agreed on the owner of the car taking that risk. I guess the gray area that is not clear to me is where Ron saw it as compatible for the G42.
I saw it on the screen of my CAs computer. He showed me everything that was available, then printed it and gave it to me. I can't find what I did with it, but I'll keep looking.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 11:06 AM   #96
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Objectively, I'm not sure it matters. Let's say you do a DIY OEM brake pad change and your brakes fail. Are you going to prevail in a warranty claim? I don't see much difference.
      08-08-2022, 11:32 AM   #97
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, you're right
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #98
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

You have an issue with the harness connection on the shift lever. Double check that. Then you may need to clear the error code. Try disconnect the battery for 20minutes once you've corrected the connection see if that solves it. Otherwise you will need an app to clear the error code.

The ribbon is very fragile, you need to make sure you're sliding it under the clip and into place (see about 10:15min in the video) and sounds like you'll need to download an App to clear the code (BimmerLink can do it) once that's done you should be right, otherwise the Dealership will clear the code and it will work. FYI you may well have corrected the issue with the ribbon cable, but the code will remain in memory until it is cleared (it's a persistent memory Error unlike some other codes which will clear themselves).

Appreciate 1
DaveDee532.00
      08-10-2022, 06:33 PM   #99
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingray View Post
You have an issue with the harness connection on the shift lever. Double check that. Then you may need to clear the error code. Try disconnect the battery for 20minutes once you've corrected the connection see if that solves it. Otherwise you will need an app to clear the error code.

The ribbon is very fragile, you need to make sure you're sliding it under the clip and into place (see about 10:15min in the video) and sounds like you'll need to download an App to clear the code (BimmerLink can do it) once that's done you should be right, otherwise the Dealership will clear the code and it will work. FYI you may well have corrected the issue with the ribbon cable, but the code will remain in memory until it is cleared (it's a persistent memory Error unlike some other codes which will clear themselves).

Thanks for the tip. I actually commented on your Youtube video. Unfortunately because of the ~12 hour time difference, the car was already at the dealer via a flatbed by the time you responded to me.

I asked the dealer if they tried to clear the codes and they said they did and the issue persisted. I really don't know how I messed that up. I watched your video literally 12 times before attempting the install of all these parts (I did the CF trim as well), and I was referencing it during my install process as well.

I didn't remove the whole center controller like you did, but I didn't need to. I still can't figure out what broke or how. The dealer says the ribbon cable is damaged and the center control unit needs to be replaced. I just don't understand how I could have done enough damage to something I barely touched. It's not like you have to pull it out of some crazy clip or anything, that black lever literally pushes the cable out and pulls it back in. Oh well, I'm beating a dead horse here.

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I get my car back soon. It'll be interesting to see whether or not the dealer installs the MP lever or just leaves the regular one on there.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 04:27 AM   #100
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I actually commented on your Youtube video. Unfortunately because of the ~12 hour time difference, the car was already at the dealer via a flatbed by the time you responded to me.

I asked the dealer if they tried to clear the codes and they said they did and the issue persisted. I really don't know how I messed that up. I watched your video literally 12 times before attempting the install of all these parts (I did the CF trim as well), and I was referencing it during my install process as well.

I didn't remove the whole center controller like you did, but I didn't need to. I still can't figure out what broke or how. The dealer says the ribbon cable is damaged and the center control unit needs to be replaced. I just don't understand how I could have done enough damage to something I barely touched. It's not like you have to pull it out of some crazy clip or anything, that black lever literally pushes the cable out and pulls it back in. Oh well, I'm beating a dead horse here.

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I get my car back soon. It'll be interesting to see whether or not the dealer installs the MP lever or just leaves the regular one on there.

Yes you're right, I really only removed the console for the video, I typically don't remove it so that's fine. And the cable is tiny but I agree, it's highly unlikely that you could actually of damaged it. The connections on the ribbon wire are so fine that if it's not aligned exactly so it will flag a persistent error but once the ribbon is positioned properly and the error code cleared you're good to go. So this is an odd scenario, I agree.

You're welcome mate, hope you get the car back soon and enjoy the CF interior!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 07:06 PM   #101
meyer1son
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i rwd

Quote:
Just got a call from the dealer, it's almost $1,100 to replace the whole panel. Apparently the ribbon cable is damaged. I told them go ahead and order the part. I'll pay and try to get reimbursed by BMW NA.

I'm calling BMW NA right now.
damn its a $422 part. $1100 seems very high?

https://parts.bmwmonterey.com/a/BMW_...e/61_7388.html
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 07:13 PM   #102
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer1son View Post
Quote:
Just got a call from the dealer, it's almost $1,100 to replace the whole panel. Apparently the ribbon cable is damaged. I told them go ahead and order the part. I'll pay and try to get reimbursed by BMW NA.

I'm calling BMW NA right now.
damn its a $422 part. $1100 seems very high?

https://parts.bmwmonterey.com/a/BMW_...e/61_7388.html
I know!

I mentioned this and was ignored. At this point I'd pay twice that just to have the car back.

I can't even get a call back from my service advisor.

I signed up for the Pocono Race-Motive roll racing event on September 3rd. I need the car back by then to mess around in the B58 class.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 07:24 PM   #103
meyer1son
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i rwd

Quote:
I know!

I mentioned this and was ignored. At this point I'd pay twice that just to have the car back.

I can't even get a call back from my service advisor.

I signed up for the Pocono Race-Motive roll racing event on September 3rd. I need the car back by then to mess around in the B58 class.
They don't call them stealerships for nothing! Hope you make it to the event.
Appreciate 2
rons e921423.00
EXE462101.50
      08-13-2022, 12:48 AM   #104
M3GABIT
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp @m3gabit.g80

Quote:
I saw it on the screen of my CAs computer. He showed me everything that was available, then printed it and gave it to me. I can't find what I did with it, but I'll keep looking.

This is from a post installed option list from when I ordered my '23 G42 late last month.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 05:00 AM   #105
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaaws View Post

This is from a post installed option list from when I ordered my '23 G42 late last month.
61315A40305c is the part number for the one I have and installed.

Interesting to see that this is an option for a '23 with no gear lever.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #106
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

I need some help guys. I have an event in Pennsylvania and I need to be there on 9/2.

I just heard from one of the parts suppliers that the part will be available in Germany again in late August. My dealer said 8/18, which makes sense.

But this guy said that it will take another month after that for it to be available here, and likely won't be in my car until October.

That's completely unacceptable to me. I need to find this part. I've been searching everywhere, but I'm not the most knowledgeable about finding parts from crashed cars.

The one I need is 61315A32B86. Does anyone have any ideas? I'll pay anyone a $100 finders fee if you can source this part for me and get it to me in the next 7 days.

From my research, there are so many different part numbers for this center console control panel because of the different buttons. Because I have driving assistance package and adaptive suspension, I have a rare combo of buttons. It has to be this specific part. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 08:12 PM   #107
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I need some help guys. I have an event in Pennsylvania and I need to be there on 9/2.

I just heard from one of the parts suppliers that the part will be available in Germany again in late August. My dealer said 8/18, which makes sense.

But this guy said that it will take another month after that for it to be available here, and likely won't be in my car until October.

That's completely unacceptable to me. I need to find this part. I've been searching everywhere, but I'm not the most knowledgeable about finding parts from crashed cars.

The one I need is 61315A32B86. Does anyone have any ideas? I'll pay anyone a $100 finders fee if you can source this part for me and get it to me in the next 7 days.

From my research, there are so many different part numbers for this center console control panel because of the different buttons. Because I have driving assistance package and adaptive suspension, I have a rare combo of buttons. It has to be this specific part. Thanks guys.

Are you LHD or RHD?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 08:13 PM   #108
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingray View Post
Are you LHD or RHD?
LHD
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 10:01 PM   #109
M3GABIT
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp @m3gabit.g80

Quote:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/61315a32b86/

Says it ships in 2 business days, but I'd email them to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 10:06 PM   #110
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaaws View Post
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/61315a32b86/

Says it ships in 2 business days, but I'd email them to be sure.
No dice. They use the same supply chain. I really need one out of a wrecked car.
Appreciate 0