Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The average twenty-something isn't buying a $70k+ sports car. I mentioned the average age of BMW buyer's because that's the reality. The car is marketed to someone who wants a high(er) end, mid-luxury sports coupe with a smaller footprint.
Price seems targeted at people looking for 718 GTS alternatives. Don't underestimate the yuppies though.
There are definitely youngsters with ability to buy expensive cars, but they are the lower percentage.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #134
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
I would not base a buying decision on a Tach. Saw a review on YouTube yesterday, the guy loved the new M2, couldn't stop raving about it, but ended saying he couldn't buy for one reason only, the freaking Curved Display. Analog gauges are going away, something we have to get accustomed to if we want to enjoy the next generation of cars; specifically E Power cars.

But if I was in your shoes, needed only two seats, I wouldn't look back. Of course it depends on which Porsche Cayman you got, big difference between a base and a GTS. M2 and Cayman are both formidable sports cars, but with different use cases. Decide what's best for your lifestyle and enjoy the ride 🙂
You might be surprised how much something like a tach, or door handles might matter - just ask the 992 crowd.

With that being said, I think Porsche did a good job of retaining some of the historical, analog aspects of older 911s in the 992 (the rev counter is analog, the stuff to the sides is all digital), so it's definitely possible. Just not probable on a mass-produced car.

Personally, I could get my head around the digital display in the G87 M2, if only they made it work like traditional gauges. I think the digital rev counter moves right to left, instead of left to right. Just bizarre in my opinion, and seems like something they could have gotten "right" pretty easily.
Absolutely agree. BMW should add an old style set of of UI appearance options, easy to do via an update, for those who miss their analog gauges. Even add one with the orange back-lighting. Seems like a great way to use the power of these screens and gain more mass acceptance.
I have a base cayman and im underwhelmed by the low down torque. I guess I'll be trading it pretty close to straight up for an M2 with a crazy amount more power and 2 rear seats for my kids (who have never been in my cayman)… just wish so bad it had an analog tach :-/
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 05:12 PM   #135
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
I have a base cayman and im underwhelmed by the low down torque. I guess I'll be trading it pretty close to straight up for an M2 with a crazy amount more power and 2 rear seats for my kids (who have never been in my cayman)… just wish so bad it had an analog tach :-/
I think you'll be trading up honestly. Good move!
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2022, 05:32 PM   #136
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionControlDelete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
It's just we shouldn't have to say "I'll reserve my judgements for when I see it in person" for every new BMW release.
I wasn't on this forum when the F8X M3/M4 came out but was the response as polarizing then as it is now for the G87? This question is for anyone who might've been around to recall how things played out
F the forum. F82, it was love at first sight. Still the all time best looking M car released.
      10-14-2022, 07:26 PM   #137
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i M-Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Then in your case it makes sense. The M2 will have more of everything, but it's a tough one. The Cayman handles so nicely, but only the GTS and up give you enough to not go wanting, and even the GTS is low on torque compared to this M2. However, the Cayman is also 3400 pounds, so it doesn't need 400 torque to get to 3.9 secs. Decisions decisions.
      10-14-2022, 07:38 PM   #138
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Then in your case it makes sense. The M2 will have more of everything, but it's a tough one. The Cayman handles so nicely, but only the GTS and up give you enough to not go wanting, and even the GTS is low on torque compared to this M2. However, the Cayman is also 3400 pounds, so it doesn't need 400 torque to get to 3.9 secs. Decisions decisions.
Yea, I honestly can't really swing a 6 figure car with 2 kids in full time daycare right now. The GTS with a couple options is $100K. I'd honestly consider a Cayman S to give me a bit more umph that I'm used to coming from a an F80 M3 before the base cayman, but again don't have back seats for the occasional weekend car show where I might want to bring kids. Also not sure even the S would get me close to the torque I was used to from the M3. I love every other aspect about the Cayman though, shifts incredibly well, handles like a dream, looks beautiful, analog interior with perfectly tactile buttons, etc. I think the practicality + power + value of the M2 has me leaning hard in that direction.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 07:47 PM   #139
carjoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i M-Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Yea, I honestly can't really swing a 6 figure car with 2 kids in full time daycare right now. The GTS with a couple options is $100K. I'd honestly consider a Cayman S to give me a bit more umph that I'm used to coming from a an F80 M3 before the base cayman, but again don't have back seats for the occasional weekend car show where I might want to bring kids. Also not sure even the S would get me close to the torque I was used to from the M3. I love every other aspect about the Cayman though, shifts incredibly well, handles like a dream, looks beautiful, analog interior with perfectly tactile buttons, etc. I think the practicality + power + value of the M2 has me leaning hard in that direction.
I feel you. I've been lusting after the Porsche Cayman GTS for a while, but then I'm brought down to earth when I option it the way I desire…about $115k. I'd have to give at least half down to have a reasonable monthly payment. Right now $75k on an M2 sounds a hell of a lot more appealing considering the value proposition.
      10-14-2022, 10:14 PM   #140
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

I don't care what the haters say, the new G87 M2 is one super sexy coupe... !

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 2
carjoy322.50
02M3ForMe4264.50
      10-14-2022, 10:57 PM   #141
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
WAIT! I thought that we schmucks all really just want a Porsche but couldn't afford one????????
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2022, 11:19 PM   #142
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
Quote:
WAIT! I thought that we schmucks all really just want a Porsche but couldn't afford one????????
I don't think anybody ever said that, but cost and usability - as evidenced by the last few posts regarding the Porsche Cayman S/GTS - is a very real consideration.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 05:56 AM   #143
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Another real life look at Toronto Red.

Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7445.00
      10-15-2022, 08:23 AM   #144
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
The average twenty-something isn't buying a $70k+ sports car. I mentioned the average age of BMW buyer's because that's the reality. The car is marketed to someone who wants a high(er) end, mid-luxury sports coupe with a smaller footprint.
Ya that's been the average age for decades but it's for the entire lineup.

On an inflation adjusted basis this car seems to be the same price as E46 M3 which I view as a direct replacement.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 08:35 AM   #145
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:

On an inflation adjusted basis this car seems to be the same price as E46 M3 which I view as a direct replacement.
Let me know how many twenty-somethings you come across in new M2's (…that weren't supplied by their parents).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 08:50 AM   #146
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Let me know how many twenty-somethings you come across in new M2's (…that weren't supplied by their parents).
Haha. Has it ever been any different?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25127.50
      10-15-2022, 09:42 AM   #147
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
There are pros and cons to each. I had an f80 before my 718 and as an all around car, the f80 (or any M car for that matter) is hard to beat. It can haul the family around and still has the looks and performance to make an enthusiast happy. If you could only have one car it's tough to think of anything better than an M car.

That said, the 718 is a true sports car and a completely different experience than an M3/M2. 2 seats, low to the ground, mid engine… it's the real deal. Aside from raw power, the feel and balance of the car can't be matched by an M car. The things that make the 718 so great come at the price of space and practicality which is why it can't be the only car you own if you have a family.

In a perfect world you have the M car as your daily and 718 as the weekend car
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      10-15-2022, 10:43 AM   #148
RDG80M3X
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 G80X

Wow thank you these pics definitely do the car justice. As with the G80 leaks/release, I was a hater and swore I would never purchase one when the leaked pictures came out but after seeing both designs live my opinion has slowly changed from hate to love. As another poster mentioned, the new G87 is throwing it back to the E30 M3 with the square fenders. Highly reminiscent of DTM IMO. I'm seriously contemplating putting my order in for a Zandoovort Blue/Cognac 6MT with buckets to replace my incoming G80.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25127.50
*mt*1708.00
      10-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #149
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
There are pros and cons to each. I had an f80 before my 718 and as an all around car, the f80 (or any M car for that matter) is hard to beat. It can haul the family around and still has the looks and performance to make an enthusiast happy. If you could only have one car it's tough to think of anything better than an M car.

That said, the 718 is a true sports car and a completely different experience than an M3/M2. 2 seats, low to the ground, mid engine… it's the real deal. Aside from raw power, the feel and balance of the car can't be matched by an M car. The things that make the 718 so great come at the price of space and practicality which is why it can't be the only car you own if you have a family.

Yea, our family of 4 has a full size SUV, a mid size SUV, and the 718 Cayman is my weekend car. Thing is, I only really drive the Cayman alone which is nice, but it would also be nice to take the young kids to weekend cars and coffee events so that their mom can have a break for a couple hours on weekends. No way to do that currently with the 718… so even though the M2 would still just be a weekend car, I think having the flexibility of being able to take a kid or two with me somewhere on the weekend is what is ultimately going to get me to trade. If I could afford a Carrera S, of course I would choose that route for a manual and 4 seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 07:19 AM   #150
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post

This is a great summary and perspective - I had a similar experience, going from F80 —> 981 BGTS —> 718 Spyder.

The Spyder is far and away the best car I’ve ever had, and by a healthy margin. Only the exhaust sound leaves something to be desired, at least for my personal taste and use of the car (with that being said, the induction noise is phenomenal).

Point being, even on a 120k car, with the emissions and noise restrictions that manufacturers are facing, you’re going to have compromises.

We are an OG M2 family (my dad has one and so does my lady), so we love and appreciate the all around benefits of a small M car. I am really looking forward to seeing the G87 in the flesh.
      10-16-2022, 08:37 AM   #151
Bimmertron
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I’m 26 and have a deposit down for the new M2 at my dealer. Been active duty for 6 1/2 years and treating myself to something nice.

Is that enough for you to not assume it was “supplied” by my parents if you saw me driving?
Appreciate 2
Sethhboii1315.50
SCCThree816.00
      10-16-2022, 08:50 AM   #152
Sethhboii
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:

25 and have a F82, first on the list for a G87. Chill with the assumptions, lots of people work for their shit 🙏
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 08:55 AM   #153
Kroghj1
Rep
Drives: Deposit on g87 m2

Sold on this red. Was almost certain I was going to go with BG/carbon roof… but the body lines really pop on this red/black combo.

1st in line at a smaller dealer in Asheville NC, and 6th at my local dealer in Charlotte. No calls yet to actually place my order so fingers crossed it comes soon.

This conversation really summarizes my rationale for this M2 too… I had a 981 cayman before having a kid, and then an Alfa 4c for first few years after he was born. I tried to make the “2 car” enthusiast garage happen for the first 2 years (Alfa Romeo 4C was the weekend car and an X1 for kid/grocery hauling. 4C was far more special than any M or Porsche I’ve driven before, sad to see it go.)

Even as an enthusiast the “weekend 2 seater sports car” use case was way overrated, and I probably wouldn’t do it again until after my son is old enough to ride in one. Only ever got to drive it alone, and no way to take son to car events or enjoy it with the family for short weekend trips to the mountains.

911 wouldn’t work due to leg room for wife.. so this M2 is really the only exciting coupe with a usable back seat on the market
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 09:13 AM   #154
DeactheDoc
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3, 2022 X2 M35i

My son and I visited BMW Welt last weekend. I just missed it!
Appreciate 0