home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

05-06-2024, 07:32 AM   #1
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 ZB (Manual)

Rock in rotor?

So driving my kids to the park yesterday and while making a left turn my car started to make a grinding / ticking sound coming from the front left wheel mid turn. I finished the turn and made it to a safe spot to stop (about 20 -30 feet). The ticking sound was like putting a playing card in your bike's spokes, changes with the movement speed.

Popped the hood and checked everything, got as far as I could under the car and checked, checked the rotor and brakes. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Called roadside assistance to have her towed and while I was waiting I moved my car into a nearby parking lot (another 20-30 feet) and noticed the noise stopped. Checked everything again and didn't notice any difference. Called and canceled my tow and drove home (about 5 mins away).

So this is the first car I have had with drilled rotors so I don't know if this is a common occurrence and if there are any major concerns with something like this happening? I didn't notice any odd wear or marks on the outer side of the rotor so I am thinking its on the inner side. No unusual braking or steering.

Is this something I should get looked at by BMW? Max I drove with it was 50-60 feet and 5-10mph, or could it be something else?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 07:45 AM   #2
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatellia View Post
So driving my kids to the park yesterday and while making a left turn my car started to make a grinding / ticking sound coming from the front left wheel mid turn. I finished the turn and made it to a safe spot to stop (about 20 -30 feet). The ticking sound was like putting a playing card in your bike's spokes, changes with the movement speed.

Popped the hood and checked everything, got as far as I could under the car and checked, checked the rotor and brakes. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Called roadside assistance to have her towed and while I was waiting I moved my car into a nearby parking lot (another 20-30 feet) and noticed the noise stopped. Checked everything again and didn't notice any difference. Called and canceled my tow and drove home (about 5 mins away).

So this is the first car I have had with drilled rotors so I don't know if this is a common occurrence and if there are any major concerns with something like this happening? I didn't notice any odd wear or marks on the outer side of the rotor so I am thinking its on the inner side. No unusual braking or steering.

Is this something I should get looked at by BMW? Max I drove with it was 50-60 feet and 5-10mph, or could it be something else?

If it was a rock in the motor or any internal motor damage, which is all but impossible, you would have had a major warning on your screen.

Have you lowered the car or changed front wheel size? If so, it may be the tire(s) rubbing on the inner fender liner vents. You can check by turning the wheel to the maximum in wither direction and go in forward or reverse (you dont need to go far or fast, ut will sound off right away).
Appreciate 1
Zatellia183.00
      05-06-2024, 07:46 AM   #3
Vinknee
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 M2 | '14 Cayenne

I've had a rock get caught between the dust shield and the rotor before, it sounded awful, drove around the same amount and back in my driveway, took about ~20 mins to find it, picked it out and never had the issue again. I wouldn't worry about it if you don't feel something off, but I'm not pro.
Zatellia183.00
      05-06-2024, 07:49 AM   #4
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
If it was a rock in the motor or any internal motor damage, which is all but impossible, you would have had a major warning on your screen.

Have you lowered the car or changed front wheel size? If so, it may be the tire(s) rubbing on the inner fender liner vents. You can check by turning the wheel to the maximum in wither direction and go in forward or reverse (you dont need to go far or fast, ut will sound off right away).
No completely stock. Lol no I wasn't concerned about a rock being inside the motor or anything like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 08:25 AM   #5
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

It’s a rock between the dust shield and rotor, not going to do any real damage. Usually a few hard brakes and they will dislodge
Appreciate 1
Zatellia183.00
      05-06-2024, 08:32 AM   #6
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

There was a Nick Murray video years ago about this (when he owned an M4). A rock get stuck between the rotors and dust shield and owners freak out about it for good reason. Looks like it happened to you. Glad it is all good now.
Appreciate 1
Zatellia183.00
      05-06-2024, 08:47 AM   #7
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatellia View Post
No completely stock. Lol no I wasn't concerned about a rock being inside the motor or anything like that.

That was my bad, I thought it said "rock in motor"
Appreciate 2
Zatellia183.00
Ronin76843.50
      05-06-2024, 08:51 AM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Had a twig get caught between the rotor and splash shield this with my 2002 Boxster. As soon as I heard the noise -- after a full lock u-turn at slow speed on a road covered with twigs due to a recent ice storm -- I knew what the problem was. Some backing up with full lock turns of the steering wheel dislodged the twig.

But another time pulling out of my parking space at the office it wasn't a twig but proved to be a rock. Nothing I could do behind the wheel worked to dislodge the rock. I had to jack up the right front corner of the car (Boxster again) and remove the front wheel then pry the splash shield away form the rotor. A rather tiny pyramid shaped rock fell out.

As you can see from the attached pic when the Boxster wheels are turn at full lock the inside wheel/tire is canted over and the brake rotor/et al is a bit exposed to any debris that might fall from the tire.

I have not bothered to check the lay over of my M2's wheels. But given you experienced something caught in the rotor I'd say there is enough to offer a chance of something falling off the tire into the brake rotor/splash shield.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Zatellia183.00
      05-06-2024, 09:10 AM   #9
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Had a twig get caught between the rotor and splash shield this with my 2002 Boxster. As soon as I heard the noise -- after a full lock u-turn at slow speed on a road covered with twigs due to a recent ice storm -- I knew what the problem was. Some backing up with full lock turns of the steering wheel dislodged the twig.

But another time pulling out of my parking space at the office it wasn't a twig but proved to be a rock. Nothing I could do behind the wheel worked to dislodge the rock. I had to jack up the right front corner of the car (Boxster again) and remove the front wheel then pry the splash shield away form the rotor. A rather tiny pyramid shaped rock fell out.

As you can see from the attached pic when the Boxster wheels are turn at full lock the inside wheel/tire is canted over and the brake rotor/et al is a bit exposed to any debris that might fall from the tire.

I have not bothered to check the lay over of my M2's wheels. But given you experienced something caught in the rotor I'd say there is enough to offer a chance of something falling off the tire into the brake rotor/splash shield.

Yeah I also live in the 'country' so there tends to be a lot of gravel and small stones everywhere but this was the first time I have had this happen. luckily it fell out... or got crushed lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 09:32 AM   #10
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

I had a rock between my dust shield and rotor during a light track event. Was going through the pits and could hear grinding. Needless to say, I was concerned when I heard grinding noises after a brief track stint. I pulled on each of the dust shields, never heard a rock drop, but the noise stopped immediately.

I was thinking, "seriously, 16 turns and something broke?" lol.
Appreciate 1
Zatellia183.00
      05-06-2024, 10:24 AM   #11
maxwell smart
missed it by that much
Rep
Drives: g87 m2 / x3m

I had the same problem this spring with excess road treatment left all over the roads here. Had to pull over, thought I was stuck. I reversed the vehicle and heard the stone pop out.
Appreciate 1
Zatellia183.00
      05-06-2024, 10:25 AM   #12
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I appreciate all of the responses, why did this get moved to the G42 forum?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 03:12 AM   #13
mh4k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i

This happened to me on an unsealed road and I also freaked the fuck out as I’d had the car only about two weeks. I was only going about 5km/h and came to a complete stop. Once I set off again the squeak had gone although that rotor continued to squeak a bit in stop/go traffic for a few weeks until I took my pressure washer and have the caliper a thorough blasting. No issues afterwords and the rotor looks fine. Not worth losing any sleep over.
Appreciate 1
Zatellia183.00