10-19-2022, 07:49 PM   #111
Caerus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelaw View Post
Spoke too soon (re. turning out the bump stops in trunk lid)--maybe it was wishful thinking on my part, but the same frickin' rattle/noise is STILL there even after my adjustments.

Someone, anyone have an answer? HATE this damn sound.

Unrelated: anyone have a vibe in steering wheel (like the lane departure vibe, but much subdued) for about the first 10-15 mins of driving?
Thanks for letting us know the bump stops don't work. It was on my list to try. This noise is very aggravating.

Last edited by Caerus; 11-18-2022 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      10-20-2022, 04:39 AM   #112
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by markos79 View Post
Guys, sorry for a delay.

It's not easy to get information about fixing method from BMW, but they told me that they modified boot locking mechanism to hold boot lid tigther after closing. And now boot lid is falling down quicker.

For sure they won't provide me any instructions. So you need to go to service.
Messing with the locking mechanism wouldn’t cause the trunk lid to fall quicker. The only way the trunk lid would be able to fall quicker is if they did something with the struts that hold the lid up.

I wonder if all they did was adjust the screws on the trunk lid. Can you take a pic of how many threads are showing on the trunk lid adjuster screws? There are 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 06:22 AM   #113
RammBimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i g42

Quote:
Originally Posted by markos79 View Post
Guys, sorry for a delay.

It's not easy to get information about fixing method from BMW, but they told me that they modified boot locking mechanism to hold boot lid tigther after closing. And now boot lid is falling down quicker.

For sure they won't provide me any instructions. So you need to go to service.
I hope that the instructions will be soon shared with dealerships. The service team at my dealership aren't aware of this fix yet..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 07:50 AM   #114
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i Jeep KTM1290 Husq701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Messing with the locking mechanism wouldn’t cause the trunk lid to fall quicker. The only way the trunk lid would be able to fall quicker is if they did something with the struts that hold the lid up.

I wonder if all they did was adjust the screws on the trunk lid. Can you take a pic of how many threads are showing on the trunk lid adjuster screws? There are 2.
That (trunk lid stops adjustment--includ. turning them out until trunk did not want to latch) was what I did--did not get rid of the noise, aggravatingly.....
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 05:01 PM   #115
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

6000 miles no thump.

Quote:
New observation I just found out. If you are in sport mode or activate sprint mode and want to have some aggressive fast shifts up to red line, the benign thump is now a loud bang. The bang only happens on the up shift only
thats a deliberate wide open upshift "fart". The thump those folks are talking about is something totally different.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 03:58 PM   #116
RammBimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i g42

Has anyone else been able to fix the problem at the dealership?
Appreciate 1
hooked190.00
      11-14-2022, 07:53 AM   #117
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep

I haven't been there yet - only about 4,000 miles (bought May 22)--BUT it will be the first thing I mention at service visit.

STILL driving me nuts. Would love for someone to figure this out!
Appreciate 1
hooked190.00
      11-25-2022, 01:15 AM   #118
singhr11
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelaw View Post
I haven't been there yet - only about 4,000 miles (bought May 22)--BUT it will be the first thing I mention at service visit.

STILL driving me nuts. Would love for someone to figure this out!
Have driven my car 100km and can confirm I have the same stupid clunking. Though I could get away from all this shit after suffering with tough Audi suspension and magnetic dampers for the past 7 years
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #119
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Hello All. I was pointed to this thread from another one. Sounds like I'm experiencing what many of you are as well and it's super annoying on any car, especially a brand new one!

My 2022 M240i (now with 1300 miles) has what sounds like a loose piece of plastic from the rear area that "taps" a little bit when the rear dampers go up and down. I notice it all the time as I'm dialed into it now but it can be easily drowned out by the stereo. It is most noticeable between 30-40MPH and sport mode but is always there and always has been since I took delivery a few months ago.

I tried to figure it out on my own at first; remove the carpeted plastic trunk floor piece (which doesn't have an easy way to lift it - why?), put the rear seats down, open the LATCH plastic covers on the package shelf, have someone ride in the back and tell me what they hear and touch the various bits and pieces back there to see if it stops. No luck.

I took it to my local BMW dealer to get the oil changed at 1200 miles (Yes, I'm doing extra oil changes) and mentioned the sound. They did the oil change then drove the car and couldn't hear it, so I insisted on driving it with them and they assigned the lead mechanic to ride with me and he heard it too and thought it might be something in the suspension. Told me to book an appointment to drop the car and get a loaner.

So I dropped the car off last Tuesday. Get a call that the right rear damper is defective and they need to replace it. They do that on Friday and I get another call later that day that the sound is still there and they plan to replace the front right damper which doesn't make any sense to me, but here we are.

My car has now been at the dealer for a week and I think they are not sure what is causing the noise and how to fix it and replacing parts that may not be defective.

In other news, my car may also have the steering wheel pulsation issue that others are reporting. I noticed that one recently when turning the steering wheel at low speed. It wasn't there before. I LOVE this car otherwise, but maybe all the kinks haven't been worked out yet and I'm not sure what to do.
Appreciate 2
jmelaw32.00
Caerus534.50
      11-28-2022, 09:29 AM   #120
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
Hello All. I was pointed to this thread from another one. Sounds like I'm experiencing what many of you are as well and it's super annoying on any car, especially a brand new one!

My 2022 M240i (now with 1300 miles) has what sounds like a loose piece of plastic from the rear area that "taps" a little bit when the rear dampers go up and down. I notice it all the time as I'm dialed into it now but it can be easily drowned out by the stereo. It is most noticeable between 30-40MPH and sport mode but is always there and always has been since I took delivery a few months ago.

I tried to figure it out on my own at first; remove the carpeted plastic trunk floor piece (which doesn't have an easy way to lift it - why?), put the rear seats down, open the LATCH plastic covers on the package shelf, have someone ride in the back and tell me what they hear and touch the various bits and pieces back there to see if it stops. No luck.

I took it to my local BMW dealer to get the oil changed at 1200 miles (Yes, I'm doing extra oil changes) and mentioned the sound. They did the oil change then drove the car and couldn't hear it, so I insisted on driving it with them and they assigned the lead mechanic to ride with me and he heard it too and thought it might be something in the suspension. Told me to book an appointment to drop the car and get a loaner.

So I dropped the car off last Tuesday. Get a call that the right rear damper is defective and they need to replace it. They do that on Friday and I get another call later that day that the sound is still there and they plan to replace the front right damper which doesn't make any sense to me, but here we are.

My car has now been at the dealer for a week and I think they are not sure what is causing the noise and how to fix it and replacing parts that may not be defective.

In other news, my car may also have the steering wheel pulsation issue that others are reporting. I noticed that one recently when turning the steering wheel at low speed. It wasn't there before. I LOVE this car otherwise, but maybe all the kinks haven't been worked out yet and I'm not sure what to do.
Thanks for the update!

I've put the rear seats down, laid across the back with my head in the trunk, had my GF drive at 10-30 mph, and tried to isolate like you did. Only thing I accomplished (other than tweaking my back) was that the sound (to me, it's "softball bouncing in a wood box" sound) appears to definitely be below the trunk/not interior. To my unlearned ears, it seems like a suspension/other sound---almost like there is something "unmoored" or not fastened somewhere down below.

Also---seems to be a more prominent sound with the colder weather here in the NE.

Please let us know how the dealer trip/s turn out! Thanks-
Appreciate 2
Caerus534.50
hooked190.00
      12-07-2022, 02:51 PM   #121
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update.

Short version: I got my car back today after 15 days at the dealer. Noise still there. Dealer and BMW NA don't know why.

Longer version: Dealer replaced both rear shocks and all 4 shock mounts over that time period. The dealer opened a case with BMW NA and they sent a field engineer to review and advise. Engineer confirmed the issue with the dealer foreman after all the attempts but ultimately he wasn't able to help. My "case" is now logged with BMW NA and I'm told there are 3-4 others in the NE region with the same problem including a tech at the BMW dealer I visited that owns a M240i too.

We'll see where it goes from here but based on the number people reporting the same issue it must be a production or design issue so I'm *guessing* there will be a service bulletin or similar after they figure out whats making the noise and how to best resolve it. I've reached out to BMW NA to engage them directly. I am going to see where this goes, but make sure they are fully aware that I find it unacceptable that my 8 week old car spent the last 2 weeks at the dealer without any resolution.
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2022, 03:15 PM   #122
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Well that is disappointing. There would be a ton more cars being reported to bmw about this but most of us don’t want to lose our car for weeks just to not have it fixed.

Some person in this thread who I believe lives in the UK claims his dealer fixed it but won’t give much details only that his “trunk closes harder” of which I’m paraphrasing.

It would be helpful if they posted their dealer so one of our dealers could call them to actually get real details on the work that was done.
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      12-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #123
harcos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 240i xdrive

This is
Code:
markos79
in Poland
Posts 89/107/110

But no news from him and his car...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 03:50 PM   #124
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcos View Post
This is
Code:
markos79
in Poland
Posts 89/107/110

But no news from him and his car...
Well let’s start calling every dealer in Poland!
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #125
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There would be a ton more cars being reported to bmw about this but most of us don’t want to lose our car for weeks just to not have it fixed.

Some person in this thread who I believe lives in the UK claims his dealer fixed it but won’t give much details only that his “trunk closes harder” of which I’m paraphrasing.
Understood! I thought long and hard before bringing the car in but I had the attention of the foreman and they offered a loaner. On the flip side, if owners don't do anything about it, BMW will think its a smaller issue than it probably is and therefore less likely to actually fix it...

I've done a good amount of research on the M240i noises...Here's my understanding:

Some 2021s had a noise coming from the headliner in the rear. BMW identified and fixed that one. This is not what I'm experiencing but I did ask them to check out the headliner which they did and ruled out.

Someone else reported that the their plastic LATCH part(s) on the rear shelf were causing their noise. I ruled that out in my car by having someone holding them down while I drove. No change.

Some owners are trying to address the noise by adjusting the screws/bolts on the underside of the trunk/boot lid. Someone reported that it worked for them, but that their trunk was harder to open and close. A few others tried it and reported that it didn't work so I think the jury is still out on that one. I did not try this because I don't think its the cause...Maybe I need to drive with the trunk slightly open to see what happens. Maybe put a hockey puck in between and tie it down.

Another owner messaged me to tell me they replaced his right rear damper and mount and that fixed the noise he was hearing, but I had the both rear dampers and mounts replaced and it didn't help so not sure he was hearing the same noise. It sounds like he had a bad damper and/or mount.

To me, the noise is like tapping a piece of plastic against a piece of wood. It's not a high pitch like something metal tapping and it's not a "rattle" or creaking sound like a plastic fitment issue in a dashboard. Someone else described it like a softball rolling in a wooden box and thats a pretty accurate description too.

The paperwork I got back said they used "chassis ears" to confirm the noise after each fix. I looked it up and it appear as though its an electronic device that helps them to find chassis noises so hopefully they had some audio recording or hard data that an engineer can work with to figure it out. It *must* be something that needs to be tightened or better isolated from nearby parts.
Appreciate 3
jmelaw32.00
Jashue202.50
      12-08-2022, 11:02 AM   #126
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Did they check the rear subframe, in all the places it attaches to the body? Maybe that is playing a role
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 02:50 PM   #127
hooked
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did they check the rear subframe, in all the places it attaches to the body? Maybe that is playing a role
I believe so. The paperwork doesn't mention that specifically as it only covers the parts replaced and that they could still hear the noise after each replacement, but they did tell me they went through the back (and front) end to confirm everything was in order.

I could "see" some of what they were doing each day through the BMW app. They would drive it, order part(s), replace the part(s) the next day, drive it again, call me, repeat. There is a total of 27 little "loops" from the service center and back while it was there. I could even see when they had the hood open to check the front end. At first I was asking myself why they had the hood open, then later they called to tell me they replaced the front shock mounts.

They put a lot of time and effort into it and appear to have done a clean job on the work they did. I poked around to see if I could find any evidence of the work or incidental damage and everything looked great to my eye. No broken clips, misaligned parts, dings or anything like that. I also asked if they checked the alignment after the replacements and they did. I actually think the steering is a little better on center now than it was before it went in. Go figure. The steering is my least favorite part of driving this car so was happy that it got better or maybe I'm just getting more used to it.
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      12-13-2022, 08:47 AM   #128
dallas.daines
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive40i

I tried the towel trick where the trunk closes this morning with no change. It actually seemed like it may have been louder but I could have just been paying closer attention.

Also tried removing the trunk floor and driving without it today which made no difference.

An observation that I've made is that the clunk seems to have a reverberating quality. When I hear it after going over a bump, it seems like it continues 2-3 more times quickly before stopping and well after the initial bump that caused it. Some bumps in the road are big enough that the clunk noise is drowned out by other noises but every once in awhile I will hit a bump in just the right spot that makes the clunk very apparent.

Super annoying. I wish I could just get it fixed so that I can start to enjoy the car a little more. I've only had it for ~500 miles and most of my time has been spent trying to figure this out and getting the CarPlay GPS to not show me off the side of the road.
2006 BMW 325i
2007 BMW 335i
2009 BMW 328i
2023 BMW m240i
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      12-13-2022, 10:37 AM   #129
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

it's enough to drive one mad!
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00
      12-13-2022, 02:58 PM   #130
kel445
Private
Rep

I've just begun to notice what I'll call a " subtle groaning sound" between 30-40 mph, especially when turning into or out of a slight curve. Doesn't sound metallic. Not feeling any change in the handling or the steering. Just that subtle low deep groan. Very unusual sound. Only have about 3000 miles or so on vehicle with no modifications. I'll continue to monitor and, at some point, talk to dealer. Been driving for 60 years and don't ever remember a vehicle sounding like this. Sound coming from the right passenger side rear primarily.

Last edited by kel445; 12-13-2022 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 09:16 AM   #131
jmelaw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes! This: "An observation that I've made is that the clunk seems to have a reverberating quality. When I hear it after going over a bump, it seems like it continues 2-3 more times quickly before stopping and well after the initial bump that caused it."
In my description, the "softball in the wooden box" bounces around a few times, just like the above.
BMW: Fix. It.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 03:08 PM   #132
kkgriss
Rep

Do most agree that the sound is from the rear? Also agree that it is from the passenger side?

I’ve dealt with the sound for over a year now, and with colder temperatures arriving, it seems to be more noticeable again.
Appreciate 1
jmelaw32.00