BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

06-13-2023, 10:35 AM   #23
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
To me the powerband thing is a wash, owning a tuned F80 Comp where you can get any custom power curve imaginable for just a few hundred dollars. I expect the same thing would happen to a G8x car.
Aren't the newer cars DMI locked? I remember the 2020+ F87s where locked.
      06-13-2023, 10:40 AM   #24
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Took it for a spirited drive last night and again, I'm blown away by the car. I'm in an area with plenty of backroads away from city traffic most of the time. You can never truly exploit the car's potential outside of a race track but you're able to really enjoy driving.
Being able to put down power is an amazing feeling. The grip is tenacious. Where as in the F87C, in lower gears, you hammer down the pedal, the rear tires hop, bounce off the limiter, you ease off the gas and they grip and you're off to the moon. Here, in lower gears you slam the gas pedal, the car starts to pull and pull and pull and pull, well you get the idea. You go into a bend and you know that if you're in the power band, you're sticking to the pavement and pulling through like a damn F1 car. You can always take off the traction control all the way which I cannot comment on as I never have yet. You can probably turn this thing into a drift missle if needed.
M2siast5877.50
///M TOWN17681.50
ronin130131000.50
JustinHEMI7445.00
      06-13-2023, 03:23 PM   #25
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.73]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Took it for a spirited drive last night and again, I'm blown away by the car. I'm in an area with plenty of backroads away from city traffic most of the time. You can never truly exploit the car's potential outside of a race track but you're able to really enjoy driving.
Being able to put down power is an amazing feeling. The grip is tenacious. Where as in the F87C, in lower gears, you hammer down the pedal, the rear tires hop, bounce off the limiter, you ease off the gas and they grip and you're off to the moon. Here, in lower gears you slam the gas pedal, the car starts to pull and pull and pull and pull, well you get the idea. You go into a bend and you know that if you're in the power band, you're sticking to the pavement and pulling through like a damn F1 car. You can always take off the traction control all the way which I cannot comment on as I never have yet. You can probably turn this thing into a drift missle if needed.
Yessir we definitely have some of the best back roads here in the PNW …especially on the eastside

I can’t wait to see C Harris drift a G87 properly
ronin130131000.50
      06-13-2023, 03:38 PM   #26
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.73]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
Aren't the newer cars DMI locked? I remember the 2020+ F87s where locked.
I believe you can bench unlock these DMI’s regardless

The ECU simply needs to be removed and shipped off to said tuner who will crack the ECU and load up thier programIng and ship it back to the end user

Although with this particular platform, unless you’re trying to really put down some long legged power, I’m not really sure why you’d want to even touch it …That’s IF 500+ horsepower isn’t enough for you to the rear wheels
      06-15-2023, 03:45 AM   #27
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Sold on car EXCEPT grilles! Better than ‘storm drains’ but shape ain’t ‘moving me.’
My son went to the dark side w/P-cars. He abhors direction of BMW’s aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 05:21 AM   #28
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
I believe you can bench unlock these DMI’s regardless

The ECU simply needs to be removed and shipped off to said tuner who will crack the ECU and load up thier programIng and ship it back to the end user

Although with this particular platform, unless you’re trying to really put down some long legged power, I’m not really sure why you’d want to even touch it …That’s IF 500+ horsepower isn’t enough for you to the rear wheels

The ecu actually needs to be shipped to femto in Finland to be unlocked, and then to tuner for tuning.

To be honest, at least for me, its more the torque and the power band that is lacking and will be a huge upgrade when tuned.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN17681.50
      06-15-2023, 08:18 AM   #29
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Talking

Interesting. Journalists get things wrong quite often and I was beginning to wonder if there was some kind of hivemind thinking around the 6MT. The fact it was being dismissed nearly identically among reviewers was odd. I have no interest in owning an automatic M car so your positive commentary in comparison to the f87 are encouraging. Enough to make me take another look at one.

Your comments on the leather though... Spectacular? I find BMW leather to be absolute garbage. Are you saying there is some kind of improvement? TBH there is no way I'm getting a carbon bucket with BMW leather--bad combo. It'll wear, quickly. Wonder why they didn't go for sensatec on those since I think it actually makes some sense for that seat. I feel the same as you though that they feel great when you sit in them but are awkward to get in and out of. Always fun to try to explain that to your passenger. "uh yeah just stick your butt in and fall"

Nice to hear BMW is finally sorting their suspension out. A budget brand coilover set had better ride than my m2c suspension. The f87 has to be one of the dumbest most poorly sorted sports car suspensions on the market. It's stiff and has good roll control but that's all I can say nicely about it. It was useless over any kind of disturbed surface.

Anyway really enjoyed the contrast. Has me rethinking the M2 as a 6mt prospect. My remaining hesitation is the boost profile. I really don't like a peaky torque curve. Reminds me of cheaply tuned 3 series of n54 and n55 era. The later MY S55 cars had the best power profile in my mind. I suspect BMW will smooth the s58 curve similarly over time as well.

Last edited by stefan; 06-15-2023 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 08:53 AM   #30
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.73]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
The ecu actually needs to be shipped to femto in Finland to be unlocked, and then to tuner for tuning.

To be honest, at least for me, its more the torque and the power band that is lacking and will be a huge upgrade when tuned.

Not sure it’s worth potentially losing the warranty to pick up some extra power

Not to me anyway
      06-15-2023, 08:56 AM   #31
BTDOC23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 330e

Great post. Beautiful car.

Any comments on the steering? Feel? Tightness? Feel on center?
Quote:

Front page news worthy indeed

Your G87 is the only one I’ve seen in the wild… Man it looks so sinister in BSM. It shows unbelievable presence that interestingly enough cannot be captured by a quality camera lens

Featured in Black Sapphire Metallic this m-car simply pops with character

I am excited to have a ride soon

Congratulations my friend !!
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN17681.50
      06-15-2023, 08:58 AM   #32
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Where as in the F87C, in lower gears, you hammer down the pedal, the rear tires hop, bounce off the limiter....
QUOTE=stefan;30222429]
Nice to hear BMW is finally sorting their suspension out. A budget brand coilover set had better ride than my m2c suspension. The f87 has to be one of the dumbest most poorly sorted sports car suspensions on the market. It's still and has good roll control but that's all I can say nicely about it. It was useless over any kind of disturbed surface.
[/QUOTE]

Soooooooo true. Especially on twisty, bumpy roads at speed, this was a serious F87 issue! Even in Sport+ it cuts power in those circumstances. Happened to me last night. Drives my nuts.

#ICAN'TWAITFORMYG87TOARRIVE

Last edited by M2PDX; 06-15-2023 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN17681.50
ronin130131000.50
      06-15-2023, 09:11 AM   #33
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.73]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Interesting. Journalists get things wrong quite often and I was beginning to wonder if there was some kind of hivemind thinking around the 6MT. The fact it was being dismissed nearly identically among reviewers was odd. I have no interest in owning an automatic M car so your positive commentary in comparison to the f87 are encouraging. Enough to make me take another look at one.

Your comments on the leather though... Spectacular? I find BMW leather to be absolute garbage. Are you saying there is some kind of improvement? TBH there is no way I'm getting a carbon bucket with BMW leather—bad combo. It'll wear, quickly. Wonder why they didn't go for sensatec on those since I think it actually makes some sense for that seat. I feel the same as you though that they feel great when you sit in them but are awkward to get in and out of. Always fun to try to explain that to your passenger. "uh yeah just stick your butt in and fall"

Nice to hear BMW is finally sorting their suspension out. A budget brand coilover set had better ride than my m2c suspension. The f87 has to be one of the dumbest most poorly sorted sports car suspensions on the market. It's still and has good roll control but that's all I can say nicely about it. It was useless over any kind of disturbed surface.

Anyway really enjoyed the contrast. Has me rethinking the M2 as a 6mt prospect. My remaining hesitation is the boost profile. I really don't like a peaky torque curve. Reminds me of cheaply tuned 3 series of n54 and n55 era. The later MY S55 cars had the best power profile in my mind. I suspect [...]
Yes the F87 is definitely lacking in the handling department IMO as well

It’s the biggest thing I dislike about it

And the brakes are subpar as well
      06-15-2023, 09:12 AM   #34
M_Power Rob
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:

Not sure it’s worth potentially losing the warranty to pick up some extra power

Not to me anyway

I totally understand and respect anyone's decision on any mods, tunes, etc. I may like or dislike, agree or disagree but its not up to me what anyone chooses to do. All I can do is provide information and my comments/opinions, the decision is the end user.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN17681.50
      06-15-2023, 09:13 AM   #35
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by npirnia View Post
I just took delivery of mine today and I absolutely agree that the 6-speed is excellent! Definitely a big improvement over my F30 6-speed and better than the G80 M3 I drove. Definitely the best BMW shifter I have ever tried and nearly has precise (but better weighted) as my friends 991.2 7-speed.

-Nick
I'd think that the G80 and G87 6MT are identical...(I did not try the G87 6MT, and I own the G80 one)
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN17681.50
      06-15-2023, 09:15 AM   #36
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.73]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
I totally understand and respect anyone's decision on any mods, tunes, etc. I may like or dislike, agree or disagree but its not up to me what anyone chooses to do. All I can do is provide information and my comments/opinions, the decision is the end user.
Fair enough

I’ve been Turing cars my entire life and there is always that trade off

This is probably the first car I might not consider turning because it’s so capable in stock form
      06-15-2023, 02:21 PM   #37
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
My remaining hesitation is the boost profile. I really don't like a peaky torque curve. Reminds me of cheaply tuned 3 series of n54 and n55 era. The later MY S55 cars had the best power profile in my mind. I suspect BMW will smooth the s58 curve similarly over time as well.
Not sure what you mean by this. In the G87, the S58 (stock) has a flat "table" of 406 ftlb from about 3K to 6K RPM, then gradual falloff to 350 ftlb at redline. That's not peaky. The motor pulls hard all the way to the bounce.

IIRC the S55's torque table was something like 3K to 5.5K. Stock of course.

In the G87, the torque falloff is a detune for business reasons, simply to give the G87 lower peak HP than its upscale siblings. It's just software, easy to mod if you want more boost at the high end. The S58 is an OUTSTANDING motor, IMO.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5877.50
      06-15-2023, 02:30 PM   #38
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
Not sure what you mean by this. In the G87, the S58 (stock) has a flat "table" of 406 ftlb from about 3K to 6K RPM, then gradual falloff to 350 ftlb at redline. That's not peaky. The motor pulls hard all the way to the bounce.

IIRC the S55's torque table was something like 3K to 5.5K. Stock of course.

In the G87, the torque falloff is a detune for business reasons, simply to give the G87 lower peak HP than its upscale siblings. It's just software, easy to mod if you want more boost at the high end. The S58 is an OUTSTANDING motor, IMO.
This.

I’m used to 90’s turbo motors, where the turbo will kick in and start pulling hard.

The S58 feels like a naturally aspirated engine. Low torque down low, lots of gear changes required, gradual power increase and rev limiter coming really quickly.

This is beneficial to the gearbox, rear tires, driveshaft, half shafts, and the clutch.

However, it doesn’t overwhelm the rear tires as easily, so the car doesn’t slide so easily when you don’t want to.

One would think that’s exactly what we’ve always wanted, but then YouTube YouTubed those that take words from other folks as gospel.

A word of caution to those who will tune: make sure you find a tune that doesn’t increase torque down low. You’ll never be able to put the power down, the car will be tail happy, and you can kiss your clutch good bye as well. More power up top should be fine, as I understand power is never enough lol

I’m more than happy with it the way it is. I had a tuned car and this is much quicker out of the box, without the downsides.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 02:37 PM   #39
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
To add, if there’s one thing I wish this engine had is a higher redline. The 7200 just comes too quickly. It feels like a 8-9000 RPM engine. I’d love to see mods that actually replace parts to make it go that far, that’s where it’ll get fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 04:39 PM   #40
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Yessir we definitely have some of the best back roads here in the PNW …especially on the eastside

I can’t wait to see C Harris drift a G87 properly

Dang, where are you guys finding these roads? I feel like there's too much traffic everywhere on the eastside with not enough (paved) "roads to nowhere."

Not that there's anything better on the Seattle side mind you! I've just been looking for good roads a reasonable distance from where I live and its been a bit of a struggle.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 05:33 PM   #41
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Not that there's anything better on the Seattle side mind you! I've just been looking for good roads a reasonable distance from where I live and its been a bit of a struggle.
I wonder if it is as bad as Boston. The east half of the state is so populated that you have to drive hours just to find a low-density backroad. The closest drivers road I know of is in a different state (New Hampshire).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 06:28 PM   #42
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.73]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Dang, where are you guys finding these roads? I feel like there's too much traffic everywhere on the eastside with not enough (paved) "roads to nowhere."

I’d be glad to have you follow me around as I tear b-roads up… I do stay out of traffic for the most part

Come run with my buddy Nick and I we have a great time and do our best to be respectful and still enjoy ourselves

I also drive up north and absolutely live driving the cascade loop
      06-15-2023, 06:37 PM   #43
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '17 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
I wonder if it is as bad as Boston. The east half of the state is so populated that you have to drive hours just to find a low-density backroad. The closest drivers road I know of is in a different state (New Hampshire).
There are some good roads around Boston, the two areas I like are

West Of 95, North of 20, East of 495, South of rt3

and

East of 114, North of ~Danvers, East of the Ocean (lol) and South of the Merrimack.

Those are the same roads I go on long drives and bike rides through. Not as good as the best driving roads in the country but not terrible either. At least there's curvy road and elevation changes.
'17 Macan GTS + '23 M2 (MT)
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2023, 08:10 PM   #44
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeSlinger View Post
There are some good roads around Boston, the two areas I like are

West Of 95, North of 20, East of 495, South of rt3

and

East of 114, North of ~Danvers, East of the Ocean (lol) and South of the Merrimack.

Those are the same roads I go on long drives and bike rides through. Not as good as the best driving roads in the country but not terrible either. At least there's curvy road and elevation changes.
Thanks! The best route I know of that's nearish to me (< 90 minutes) is rt 117 from Waltham to Leominister, that fits roughly in your first area. Did it a few weeks back. It's scenic and curvy, but low-speed for a lot of the way.

I've heard the Ipswitch area is nice, but I live south of Boston, so getting to the north end takes a long time, because going up 95 suuucks.

To really have fun I have to drive up to the Canc.
Appreciate 0