home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-29-2023, 08:55 AM   #1
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Anything else tempting you?

This is probably my favorite car I've had and I love driving it, but there's always a voice in the back of my head advocating for something else some days. Even if it's for dumb reasons. Lol. Even though this car is awesome, is there anything else that steals your attention/interest from time to time?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 09:02 AM   #2
darkvader0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

I think my only problem is that I want this car in every color that I see it in. I have a Portimao Blue one on the way, but everytime I see pics of a black one... or a Thundernight.... or white... or red.... or or or....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 09:19 AM   #3
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvader0 View Post
I think my only problem is that I want this car in every color that I see it in. I have a Portimao Blue one on the way, but everytime I see pics of a black one... or a Thundernight.... or white... or red.... or or or....
Aside from BSM being right up your alley given your user name, it is the best colour.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2023, 09:55 AM   #4
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Not really, I am still 110% happy with this car at almost 1 year into ownership. For the price I don't think anything beats it, or even equals it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 10:03 AM   #5
vicbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

One year of ownership, and still an excellent choice! And although no car will ever be the perfect choice, or satisfy 100% of the time, this car checks off a higher percentage of boxes for me than any other car that I've ever owned!!! With over 50 years of automotive ownership experience...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 12:00 PM   #6
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

ngl.... I love my car. Especially now it's modded to my liking.. But from time to time, Supra still itches me😂
      08-29-2023, 12:31 PM   #7
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

I’m happy with the M240i but sometimes I do think what life would be like with either an RS3, TTRS or Mini Cooper JCW.
      08-29-2023, 12:33 PM   #8
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep

you guys are all normal. i'm out here thinking about an LC500 lol
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 01:42 PM   #9
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

I've had my 2022 M240i x-drive for about a year and a half and I love the car. I mean I really love this car! It's perfect for me. When it comes time, I will most likely get another one. I'll just get a different color. I just don't see anything in the price/power/performance category that comes close.

However, I have been playing around with the Corvette configurator. Not as practical, but, well, you know.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 01:53 PM   #10
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

I'm tempted to get a M340i but I just don't really like the styling... which leads me to an M3 lol. I feel like 4 doors will be more practical
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 02:34 PM   #11
peaceindriving
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 230i

Garage List
2022 Bmw 230i  [8.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvader0 View Post
oh so true!!! I have a BSM and wish i could have another one in Portimao Blue. Though a wrap is tempting for a little variation.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 02:35 PM   #12
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

There aren't really any new cars anywhere near the price range of the M240i that check the boxes it does: RWD biased AWD, amazing ZF automatic (although some days I really miss manual), somewhat premium build, enough tech, small 2 door coupe. Everything else is bigger or FWD based AWD. Also, not many 2 door left out there with AWD.

That said, I think I'm progressively becoming more disinterested in cars. I've had a few fun cars from new, they were awesome, and then progressively degraded (creaks, rattles, rock chips, etc). I think knowing the fact that nothing remains new has basically created new-car anxiety for me, plus my stupid OCD for extraneous noises, it's a curse and my ears are attuned to it.

My M240i isn't perfectly quiet, but it hasn't gotten bad yet. I think after the number of cars I owned and none have been perfect, this has waned my interest in new cars. I even looked up "Porsche 911 rattles" and found that even 911's aren't all rattle free according to some owner complaints. Although I wish I could DD a GT3 with that glorious 4.0L flat six, knowing I paid a couple or few hundred thousand and had rattles would probably make me puke.

So, other cars tempt me, but I think I just know better. The only car that would appease my need for rattle free would be a soft riding high end car (Lexus?) but that wouldn't appease my desire for sport. Nothing will fit the bill for me. So as of today, the M240i is really the only car the meets most of my desires.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 07:15 PM   #13
kudos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Any time I think about an M2 or M4 or something i remember how shitty they are on gas comparably and then I'm happy with M240i again.

Also, I can't find a better looking car anywhere near the price point that is sporty enough.
      08-29-2023, 07:59 PM   #14
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
This is probably my favorite car I've had and I love driving it, but there's always a voice in the back of my head advocating for something else some days. Even if it's for dumb reasons. Lol. Even though this car is awesome, is there anything else that steals your attention/interest from time to time?
The Supra with a manual is gnawing at me a bit. Having the B58 with a manual. 😈

But, I like having the backseat and the BMW has a much better interior.

I recently saw a black 230i with black wheels here in Miami. It was evil looking in the best way. Crusing over the Venetian Way at sunset with the lights on. I was like damn this 2 series looks amazing! I forget sometimes cause I am always in my car and don’t see too many 2 series in the wild. But, all black is something even more special. I think it had red seats too.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 08:03 PM   #15
NoNameG42
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240ix

Quote:
I am still new to M240, only have it for one month yesterday, so whatever reasons I choose M240 over others still remain, and it’s going to remain for foreseeable future.

My budget likely won’t improve anytime soon, so the Ones out of my price range currently will remain so.

The Ones in similar price range like say Supra, which I like it very much but I don’t fit it very well (6’4”) and that isn’t going to change anytime soon. The new Z is kinda meh to me at best.

The Ones in the lower range like IS350, tho I am in love with its styling but its beauty literally only skin deep, both interior and performance have left a lot to be desired. Maybe Lexus would improve both in the next Model or more likely ceases to exist.

Personally and I think some others in here might be in the same shoes, that M240 wasn’t on their radar 3~4 years ago, for whatever reasons weren’t too interested in then current model, but obviously it changed with the now current model, and I think that may happen in couple years as well, some future model changes may once again catch our eyes that aren’t currently so.

One of more likely candidate is the M2, its kinda naturally so for some M240ers, for me the main thing is the lack of availability, if I can get it like the way I gotten M240 (it was already arrived at Port State side when I put in deposit)? I would take M2 in a hart beat, but having to wait a year, more likely 18 months, just doesn’t fit in my particular situation.

Last edited by NoNameG42; 08-29-2023 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 08:25 PM   #16
NoNameG42
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos View Post
Any time I think about an M2 or M4 or something i remember how shitty they are on gas comparably and then I'm happy with M240i again.

Also, I can't find a better looking car anywhere near the price point that is sporty enough.
Tho yes their MPG aren’t their strong suit but they do have enough HP and performance to justify it to most extend, unlike some others like the TLX type S or the IS350/500.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 09:48 PM   #17
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Not really. Especially if you want a RWD biased AWD coupe with great performance, decent luxury/tech, solid mpg, and a somewhat usable rear seat.

Supra & Z are solid picks tbh, but lack practicality (no back seat, limited storage & visibility).

The 86 & BRZ are just too slow (but are slightly more practical).

The Integra Type S is very practical, reliable, and comes in a 6MT... but is way overpriced (should have only been $5K max over the CTR, not $7K) for my tastes and is in wrong wheel drive with a meh interior (no sunroof even though it's in the Aspec haha). The CTR is way too ricer boi with that spoiler (and otherwise looks like everyone's riced our Civics)

The S3/4 look boring af and RS3 is expensive for nearly the same performance as the M240i.

The CLA Mercedes options just seem way to expensive to maintain and are not sporty enough.

The WRX is ugly as sin and they dropped the STI version... brand is basically done for.

The Lexus RC is just too dated, heavy, and not actually focused on performance.

Finally the M2 is fugly, get shit mpg, and the extra power can barely be used unless on a track

Honestly the only other option I would compare the M240i to is the M340i. I think the price difference is way too much for an extra 2 doors and some more legroom. Plus the M240i looks much sportier imo. Most people would never think the M340i is so high performance as it looks so boring.

Last edited by Ricochet48; 08-29-2023 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 4
MPR1820.50
ggggbmw440.00
      08-29-2023, 11:45 PM   #18
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameG42 View Post
I am still new to M240, only have it for one month yesterday, so whatever reasons I choose M240 over others still remain, and it’s going to remain for foreseeable future.

My budget likely won’t improve anytime soon, so the Ones out of my price range currently will remain so.

The Ones in similar price range like say Supra, which I like it very much but I don’t fit it very well (6’4”) and that isn’t going to change anytime soon. The new Z is kinda meh to me at best.

The Ones in the lower range like IS350, tho I am in love with its styling but its beauty literally only skin deep, both interior and performance have left a lot to be desired. Maybe Lexus would improve both in the next Model or more likely ceases to exist.

Personally and I think some others in here might be in the same shoes, that M240 wasn’t on their radar 3~4 years ago, for whatever reasons weren’t too interested in then current model, but obviously it changed with the now current model, and I think that may happen in couple years as well, some future model changes may once again catch our eyes that aren’t currently so.

One of more likely candidate is the M2, its kinda naturally so for some M240ers, for me the main thing is the lack of availability, if I can get it like the way I gotten M240 (it was already arrived at Port State side when I put in deposit)? I would take M2 in a hart beat, but having to wait a year, more likely 18 months, just doesn’t fit in my particular situation.
I had a 2021 IS350 F-Sport (new redesign) prior to the M240i and while the exterior looked fantastic the drivetrain felt extremely dated, which it is. It made all the sense to get it though for reliability reasons but by an off chance, I test drove a 2022 M240i and that really showed how far out to touch Lexus has become in the performance coupe/sedan segment. Even the IS500 gets beats out in every performance metric by the m240i/m340i all while getting WORSE gas mileage. I was genuinely not excited to drive my brand new IS350. It’s been about 8 months since I’ve had my M240i and I’m still excited to drive it.
      08-30-2023, 09:52 AM   #19
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
I’m happy with the M240i but sometimes I do think what life would be like with either an RS3, TTRS or Mini Cooper JCW.
The RS3 is interesting. But isn’t the 2 series a RWD car with bias.

The Audi is cool but I believe it’s fwd and throughout my drives of the previous RS3-it felt less rocket and more sled.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 10:42 AM   #20
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep

i feel like the value prop is too good. which is great for buying, but terrible for considering a next car

i live somewhere snowy and hilly so xdrive is perfect, but at some point i want a RWD NA V8 before they die out and some garbage can to drive around during winter. the m240 is too good of a performance and practicality all arounder for that path to make any sense lol
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 11:20 AM   #21
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
i feel like the value prop is too good. which is great for buying, but terrible for considering a next car

i live somewhere snowy and hilly so xdrive is perfect, but at some point i want a RWD NA V8 before they die out and some garbage can to drive around during winter. the m240 is too good of a performance and practicality all arounder for that path to make any sense lol
I don't know how hilly your definition of hilly is, but I drove a 2015 Mustang GT year round in Canadian winters for 3-1/2 years. Rain, snow, shine, it was my daily. I never got stuck and didn't have a lot of issues getting moving with my Nokian Hakka R2's. I didn't hold up traffic, and was stuck behind everyone else driving slowly in the snow.

If you want to try it, it can be done. AWD is obviously superior though.

The Mustang was awfully built compared to BMW though. Mine was a complete rattle trap after 2 years. My F22 M240i held up probably about the best for interior quality over it's life (3 ish years). I can't imagine other domestic muscle/pony cars will be much better than the Mustang was, if that's something important to you. Your proposition for the IS500 might meet the quality standard though.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2023, 11:38 AM   #22
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoupe View Post
I don't know how hilly your definition of hilly is, but I drove a 2015 Mustang GT year round in Canadian winters for 3-1/2 years. Rain, snow, shine, it was my daily. I never got stuck and didn't have a lot of issues getting moving with my Nokian Hakka R2's. I didn't hold up traffic, and was stuck behind everyone else driving slowly in the snow.

If you want to try it, it can be done. AWD is obviously superior though.

The Mustang was awfully built compared to BMW though. Mine was a complete rattle trap after 2 years. My F22 M240i held up probably about the best for interior quality over it's life (3 ish years). I can't imagine other domestic muscle/pony cars will be much better than the Mustang was, if that's something important to you. Your proposition for the IS500 might meet the quality standard though.
that NA V8 i want is actually an LC500. lol. i have the maintenance plan that will cover the first brake service, so i think i'll need to (poor me. lol) keep the m240 til at least then
Appreciate 0